• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

besiktas1

faridmon said:
Thanks, lads.

How tense is it though, RE4 level of intensity? Even though i finished that game (my favourite game of all time) It was really a challange to play it because of its ominus and creepy environment.

*sigh* I hate myself for being a coward...
I was scared so played it during the day. Added to my enjoyment of the game. Loved it. Was called a pussy but lol my excuse is I got really into it :)

squicken

Not to be morbid, but The Signal is the only DLC MS approved, correct? I know Remedy had said that they bet the studio on this game. Could this be the last thing that ever comes from the studio?

fernoca

squicken said:
Not to be morbid, but The Signal is the only DLC MS approved, correct? I know Remedy had said that they bet the studio on this game. Could this be the last thing that ever comes from the studio?
There's another DLC coming (The Writer) and depending on sales of that second one (since they know most people will get the first one because it's free with new copies) they are open to make more DLC..while making the sequel; to bridge the first game directly to the second one.

Plus Remedy seems quite happy with the overall reception and sales (and with Microsoft..at the moment)..that sales could've been better yeah, but they constantly talk about how their team is really small (30, 45 peak)....and that they loved having the time they wanted and needed, for the game.

Wizpig

The DLC is quite expensive, i like my DLC to be 400 points; this one is 560 or something.

Of course, the first one can be considered free and i'll also buy the second one at soon as it comes out (especially since the first one is free for most people, i appreciate this)

By the way the new DLC achievements are already on Xbox.com, but they don't show in the game.

gdt

Just finished Chapter 5, best one yet.

Got total LOST vibes from
"The Well Lit Room"
:lol .

I think I'm putting together a picture or where this is going.

Zane creates Alan...who creates the Alan we play as.

Kuhl De 1337

Neo Member
This game is awesome, but there is one question I have about the story that could change the way I think about Alan Wake's
or Tom Zane's
decision:

Is Mr. Scratch supposed to take Alan's place at the typewriter for eternity (not writing anything per say, but as a placeholder for Alan), or is he going to be Alan's puppet while Alan controls him from the bottom of the lake?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Alucrid said:
If I buy it new, what are the chances of getting a code for the free download?

I'm fairly sure it's 100%. I don't think there was a limited amount of new copies that only had a code - I think all new copies have a code.

Karram

Is it just me or is the Jumping in this game is useless ? I just can't think of any reason why is in the game. I think they could have just use the B button to jump in places where I need to jump or climb something and use the A button for the dodging. not to say the dodging is great or anything, it just makes the game way easier once you get the hang of it where it's no longer dangerous or scary to have enemies close to you. Maybe if the dodging is the same way as Gears or Uncharted dodging but with a different animation of course, it could have been a little trickier to master.

I felt like Remedy did a great job with the atmosphere, Story and Graphics but they couldn't nail the gameplay probably because of how simple the game mechanics are plus the lack of any combat variety.

Alucrid

Banned
Shrinnan said:
I'm fairly sure it's 100%. I don't think there was a limited amount of new copies that only had a code - I think all new copies have a code.

Sounds good. I was just watching the Giant Bomb review and I thought he said something about 'the first batch' only shipping with codes.

mittelos

Karram said:
Is it just me or is the Jumping in this game is useless ? I just can't think of any reason why is in the game. I think they could have just use the B button to jump in places where I need to jump or climb something and use the A button for the dodging. not to say the dodging is great or anything, it just makes the game way easier once you get the hang of it where it's no longer dangerous or scary to have enemies close to you. Maybe if the dodging is the same way as Gears or Uncharted dodging but with a different animation of course, it could have been a little trickier to master.

I felt like Remedy did a great job with the atmosphere, Story and Graphics but they couldn't nail the gameplay probably because of how simple the game mechanics are plus the lack of any combat variety.
Yeah, I kinda agree; though I tend to spam the hell out of it in Nightmare mode to get a little bit of distance from Taken chasing from behind.

6tmjrp.png

879016622_ENmmM-L.jpg

Dyno

Finished it and then when the final cutscene is running there is an emergency with my wife and kids. When I turn back it's over. I don't quite know the significance of the ending.

It looks like an 'all this has happened before and all this will happen again.' Every generation has a woman that the darkness controls and an artist to fight it. Is there any other story element I've missed. Alan Wake didn't come back, right?

Numpt3

Dyno said:
Finished it and then when the final cutscene is running there is an emergency with my wife and kids. When I turn back it's over. I don't quite know the significance of the ending.

It looks like an 'all this has happened before and all this will happen again.' Every generation has a woman that the darkness controls and an artist to fight it. Is there any other story element I've missed. Alan Wake didn't come back, right?

Isn't there an option to watch the cinematics again in the extras menu?

Zeouterlimits said:
Think I'll start my nightmare play-through (along with collecting everything) tonight and and play the signal when I'm finished.

Any tips?

Running and using light is your friend. I used my flashlight and running tactics way more then my gunning. As a matter of fact, unless the game forced you to fight, I usually always ran.

gdt

Finished it last night, I'd give it a solid 8.5.

I got the ending...until the very last scene. Oh well, looking forward to the sequel.

Dyno said:

Hitting the dashboard button at any moment during this game will pause it, even during cutscenes. Many games are like this now, I always try it just to see

Dax01 said:
So can I go online and play this since I entered the code when I got the game or do I need to wait for a new code?

I wanna play this now.
You need to wait for a new code.

Why did so many people enter it before it was out? I'm just curious, and not trying to be a dick.

Wizpig

Buttonbasher said:

Why did so many people enter it before it was out? I'm just curious, and not trying to be a dick.
I entered it today, does that mean i missed the video that you could download before the DLC was out?

Wizpig said:
I entered it today, does that mean i missed the video that you could download before the DLC was out?
I'm not actually sure what the video is. I heard it was a Making of video of some sort. Not sure if it's the same one of the Collectors Edition or not. I'm sure it's on Youtube by now.

Wizpig

Buttonbasher said:
I'm not actually sure what the video is. I heard it was a Making of video of some sort. Not sure if it's the same one of the Collectors Edition or not. I'm sure it's on Youtube by now.
Nope, it's not the same one.
I guess I'll check Youtube :D thanks.

Cardigan

Buttonbasher said:

I entered it the day I got it because I didn't want to lose it or forget about it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Lunchbox said:
"whats in the game is pretty good, but what ruins it is whats not there........"

wat?:lol

Also, his own comment is one of the most inane things I've ever read. A good part of the video he's bitching about how only a small part of people will get the first dlc for free and how that's a grave injustice. When someone points out the dlc code is in all copies, he starts getting indignant about how his Collector's Edition suddenly not that special anymore. Some people will always complain.

Buttonbasher said:

Because I didn't think it would matter whether I entered it now or the day it came out.

skyfinch

That is one crazy DLC. I died about 4 times on normal mode. :lol Really like the alarm clock collectibles. Makes it easier to know you're close as you can hear the "clicking".

Still don't know what the shit is going on with the storyline, but a great game, regardless.

Cardigan

Kinda disappointed with this DLC. Beat it in about 1 hour. I didn't find it to be challenging at all; I think I only died twice. Maybe that's because I switched to the alternate control scheme. I don't feel like it progressed the story much, so I think that's why I'm disappointed with it.
At least Barry was present for some of it. Always adding comic relief to scary situations. :D

voltron

The camera seems to be annoying me way more in th dlc than it did in the game. Anyone else notice that?

It never stays where I want it to. I didn't notice it being anywhere near this annoying before.

Minamu

Surprisngly good dlc for once :D It was a blast to play. The original game should've had more of this kind of gameplay for sure.

Died 4 times I think. at least 3 of those I could blame on the game itself. i fucking hate the dodge mechanic. It has a mind of its own and it killed me on countless occasions in the original game... No different here.
Super fast cars and enemies with sharp knives flying at me from outside the camera's view are also extremly annoying. So damn cheap.

Cardigan

voltron said:
The camera seems to be annoying me way more in th dlc than it did in the game. Anyone else notice that?

It never stays where I want it to. I didn't notice it being anywhere near this annoying before.
I hate how the camera shifts from over the right shoulder to over the left shoulder whenever you turn the camera. SO annoying.

nocode

This game had one of the coolest tributes to early gaming I've ever seen.

At the clinic on Cauldron Lake, there is a videogame programmer named Emmerson that has lost his mind. I noticed that he is wearing a Bruce Lee C64 shirt. It clearly shows the black ninja from the game. I almost fell off my chair (see my avatar). Anyone else notice this?? :D :D

robot

Finished The Signal in 2 sittings - a little shorter than I was hoping but a lot crazier than I was expecting. Loved how it was so unique compared to the other episodes - sure it did have a lot more action than usual but it wasn't overkill. That "Boom" area was really intense. The cardboard cutouts were hilarious, just need to go back and find one.

Really hope there are a few more episodes after the next one but probably wont be. One of the best games I've played this year, despite being a little confused by the story. Oh and Barry might be the best new character of 2010. He needs his own game or something.

voltron

nocode said:
This game had one of the coolest tributes to early gaming I've ever seen.

At the clinic on Cauldron Lake, there is a videogame programmer named Emmerson that has lost his mind. I noticed that he is wearing a Bruce Lee C64 shirt. It clearly shows the black ninja from the game. I almost fell off my chair (see my avatar). Anyone else notice this?? :D :D

Yeah that was really cool.

Top Bottom