• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

MMaRsu said:
I'm half near chapter 4 after the
rock concert stuff

Still need to finish this and play the DLC.
I'm here too on my Nightmare replay.

I'm finding Nightmare to be a good challenge. It's not as hard as I expected it to be, but rather more strategic and exciting. Running away, at the lowest of health only to jump into the safe haven just in time is always awesome.

It really sucks when you've followed a guide and still miss 1 damn coffee thermos... Games with these kind of achievements really need a better achievement tracker for it. At least tell me which chapter it's in. Running through the game again just for this, is not something I'll ever do.

Minamu

AndyMoogle said:
It really sucks when you've followed a guide and still miss 1 damn coffee thermos... Games with these kind of achievements really need a better achievement tracker for it. At least tell me which chapter it's in. Running through the game again just for this, is not something I'll ever do.
Have you played it on nightmare yet etc? Otherwise, you could follow a youtube guide while doing that. This game has some of the easiest collectables I've ever seen to be honest. Still, I know your pain :)

Dabanton

Finally completed this on Wednesday what a game some of the set pieces near the end are stunning.

Then i went straight into 'The Signal' and it's really,really good love the gameplay twists the "bad words" :D and all the rest it's very combat heavy but their is a pleasure to be had in timing things just right so you take out 3 or 4 taken at the same time.

Can't wait for the next bit of DLC.

Anony

finally finished it, really good stuff
the excellent voice work really made the horrible lip sync tolerable
the mix of live-action stuff was really out of place though

someone mind explaining the ending for me, it's pretty confusing

what does the dlc cover?

Finished my nightmare run, and had a good
time doing so. I went back afterward to pick up the remaining achievements and turned on Commentary Mode, which has been awesome so far. I'll probably have my last 4 thermoses in the next chapter (4) but commentary mode might push me to just finish it all up again just to hear the remaining commentary.

Then after that I'll finally play The Signal. This will only be my third full gamerscore game after Lost: Via Domus, and 200/200 out of Sam & Max Season 2. I'm more proud than I should be.

finally got my copy back off my brother in law this weekend and spent some time finishing The Signal. I played it so broken up that I can't comment on how long it is, but I really enjoyed it. That last boss fight was pretty tricky, but really fun.

I am so paranoid about running out of batteries, I almost never let myself get below 15 (once I get above fifteen). I had to get over that to beat that boss.

Hopefully the next DLC will be as solid. That episode is probably my favourite now.

I've just started Episode 4.

All I can say is: the atmosphere in this game is simply stunning. I feel like I've been to Bright Falls. I feel like I've breathed the air there. Incredible stuff.

It is a tad repetitive, but then I think that about every game :)

ultron87

Okay, I'm halfway through chapter 4
(just finished the battle at the stage)

I need to give this game back to my brother at the end of the week. Is there more cool stuff after this or does it go back to "You're in the woods! Shadow people! Ahh!"?

ultron87 said:
Okay, I'm halfway through chapter 4
(just finished the battle at the stage)

I need to give this game back to my brother at the end of the week. Is there more cool stuff after this or does it go back to "You're in the woods! Shadow people! Ahh!"?
it always goes *back* to that, but there's still cool stuff ahead.

AndyMoogle said:

Remedy's actually very well aware of this...and promised to do better in the future.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Almost done chapter 3. I wish they didn't announce when enemies arrive each time. Would have been much better having them pop out of bushes and other stuff like that. Environment is set perfectly to be scary but is never used.

Still a fun game though.

RiotPelaaja said:
Remedy's actually very well aware of this...and promised to do better in the future.
Good to hear. I did manage to find the last thermos shortly after my rant, but games in general definitely need better achievement trackers.

2 thermoses left...

Looking over the IGN guide I don't think I missed any. Ugh.

EDIT: Happy day. I'm 1000/1250 of imaginary points. Onward toward The Signal! :D

ultron87

Buttonbasher said:
^This. Plus you could probably finish it in an afternoon. The story gets really good from the end of chapter 4 onward. You should do it.

Yeah, just finished powering through it. Chapters 4 and 5 are by far the best parts of the game.

Chapter Six was cool after you get done with the horrendous long drive/walk back to the
Lake

I'll need to think on that ending.

Maaseru

Banned
I just finished the bit before getting on the helicopter, chap 5or 6 I think. The game started slow, I almost regretted my purchase. The constant dark woods into light tracks really bored me after awhile, but the game picked up. The rock stage battle was awesome, didn't expect that.

I also love that you can u-turn a car without using anything more than the L-stick.

Good game, great graphics and atmosphere. The RE series could take a few ideas from this game to get it back to being scary not just rambo vs crazyzombiepeople.

ZZMitch

Somewhere in the middle of chapter 2 and I am enjoying this game a lot! Great atmosphere...

I have some trouble with horror games
ugh, Resident Evil 4
, but I have been enjoying this one... when I am fighting a bunch of Taken in front of me and one sneaks up and hits me from behind I still almost scream though :lol

I just played The Signal after finally getting the game back from my brother. Reading through the last 3/4 pages it doesn't seem like it drew many people back in? Or at least didn't impress enough to post about it.

I liked it. I've still had enough of the combat, so I pretty much ran past any fight that I could, but all of the
messages through the TVs, remembering past events and, of course, the legend that is Barry
made it an enjoyable hour or so.

I look forward to the next DLC and hope that something happens to make the core of the game more enjoyable once again.

Best bit:
"Watch out, Alan, those are bad words. Ha, bad words..."
:lol

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just played The Signal after finally getting the game back from my brother. Reading through the last 3/4 pages it doesn't seem like it drew many people back in? Or at least didn't impress enough to post about it.

I liked it. I've still had enough of the combat, so I pretty much ran past any fight that I could, but all of the
messages through the TVs, remembering past events and, of course, the legend that is Barry
made it an enjoyable hour or so.

I look forward to the next DLC and hope that something happens to make the core of the game more enjoyable once again.

Best bit:
"Watch out, Alan, those are bad words. Ha, bad words..."
:lol
There is a separate thread for the DLC.

ultron87

I really really like the Poets of the Fall song from the end of Chapter 5.

And where does Space Oddity play? Did I just skip out of the credits too fast?

Square Triangle said:
Juststarted my first run through and damn this game is great. I'm playing on normal, once beaten does it unlock nightmare?
I believe so. Just remember that you can't play each mission on Nightmare after beating it on just normal. You have to start a new game on Nightmare mode and play through to those levels before you can access them in the episode quick select.

burgerdog

When is the next dlc hitting? Seems like these guys can't ever release things on time. I remember the original schedules being June and July.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just finished this game the other night after borrowing from a friend. I enjoyed it quite a bit and didn't really get all of the hate over the ending. Not sure where all of the dev time went to though really. Nothing struck me as amazing tech or groundbreaking gameplay.

Wizpig

nacire said:
Not sure where all of the dev time went to though really. Nothing struck me as amazing tech or groundbreaking gameplay.
They were doing a free-roaming Alan Wake, but then scrapped it.
And of course a lot of time went into the making of the tool that "creates" the forests, etc.

I'd assume their organization was pretty poor.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wizpig said:
They were doing a free-roaming Alan Wake, but then scrapped it.
And of course a lot of time went into the making of the tool that "creates" the forests, etc.

I'd assume their organization was pretty poor.

Ah that's too bad. An open ended free roam suspense thriller could have been pretty awesome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
nacire said:
Ah that's too bad. An open ended free roam suspense thriller could have been pretty awesome.

well Deadly Premonition is open world psychological thriller ..but it's shitty.

Does the combat get changed up or mixed up a bit as you progress? I can see myself getting bored of the combat if it's the same from beginning to end. =/

gdt

Square Triangle said:
Does the combat get changed up or mixed up a bit as you progress? I can see myself getting bored of the combat if it's the same from beginning to end. =/

Nope. It's more or less the same, the whole game. It's the flaw of the game, for sure.

Lime

Playing my 'Limited' edition I got from GAME for 20£ right now. I can definitely feel the Max Payne elements (even got the reference in the beginning of episode 2) and so far the game is okay. I liked the pacing so far.

But there are some indications in the game that tells me that Remedy could have worked a little bit more here and there. There are too many uncanny valley moments in the game (e.g. the movement and look of Wake's wife's mouth terrifies me) and some of the voice actors seem miscast (Wake imo).

Something that completely irks me is the goddamn HUD. It is constantly on the screen. It completely breaks the feeling of transparency (logic of immersion). The only thing I need is collecting coins or some 'gamey' type of stuff to *really* remind me of the fact that I'm sitting on my couch with a controller in my hands. This is a sign of a developer overlooking a very basic element in their presentation, that only low-grade developers do. It is a mistake that makes me wonder if Remedy is capable of developing a 'good' game.

Maybe it is due to Remedy handling a much more serious subject matter this time. It worked much better in Max Payne, because both the presentation and the story seemed good for what it was. This time around, the experience feels disjointed, like they didn't know whether to make Max Payne or an action-oriented Twin Peaks.

Lime

Maybe it's the directing the actor had been given, but he sometimes seem to overact. It's mostly his recital of the manuscript pages. It just sounds too forced.

JoeBoy101

Just finished the game and agree with the reviewers in giving the game a solid B. Very entertaining and engrossing, but the combat gets way too dull about half way through. Not that the combat is bad (it isn't), but just the same thing over and over. Set pieces help break it up, but otherwise the same old thing. The story is largely well done with some trips here and there. One major issue I has was with the lip synching which was very average overall, but absolutely atrocious with Alice. Half the time she didn't look like she was talking.

And I love Remedy for sneaking in a canon ending for Max Payne. Screw you Rockstar with your scruffy, crazed hillbilly!

Good work, Remedy. I can haz PC Release now?

Just finished this as well. Great game, but it did get a little tiring by the end, and the writing and voice acting was B-level at best.

I never liked Alan, though. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but he's just a pretty unlikeable dude and I really never cared for him. In fact I would've liked for some really bad shit to happen to him.

Overall it was still a great game and experience for me. The graphics are some of the best seen on the 360 IMO. The lighting and shadows are phenomenal and even with the screen tearing which was only really bad in a couple of places, this is still a beautiful game. Would love to see it running on PC though.

Finished this as well a couple days ago. I can definitely see where it could be criticized for certain things, but I really just loved it. It has a slight hint of cheese which I found endearing and it definitely has the melodrama a la Max Payne. But the locale was great and some of the scenes were just fantastic like the
rock stage.
. I liked the episodic structure built in and there were a lot of things like Night Springs and the radio shows that I thought really added some flavor. Already played the first DLC as well which was great, can't wait for the next. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

EDIT: one thing I forgot. Huge wow at the screen tearing in
the beginning of chapter 4 in Hartman's clinic
. It happens sporadically in the rest of the game but I was stunned that they let it go that bad in that part, it was completely outrageous. Otherwise the game looked pretty great though.

cwmartin

Thinking about grabbing this as my second game, uhm, ever for 360. I just jumped into this gen a week ago with the Reach console bundle. And i have 20 bucks in amazon credit. Should this be my second game GAF? Looks cool from what ive seen and watched.

Tokubetsu

cwmartin said:
Thinking about grabbing this as my second game, uhm, ever for 360. I just jumped into this gen a week ago with the Reach console bundle. And i have 20 bucks in amazon credit. Should this be my second game GAF? Looks cool from what ive seen and watched.

If you're into great singleplayer experiences, definitely!

burgerdog

cwmartin said:

Buy Castlevania Lords of Shadow :D The game has $20 credit as well so you can get it for $40, and your next game will also be $40.

Lime

Finished it over the weekend. Definitely not a high quality game. Let me just say that the game tries to be taken somewhat seriously. After all, it is a serious subject matter and it doesn't seem like the story is very ironic about itself. Since it is primarily a game centred around story, I didn't find the game good. It has its moments, but there are too many deficiencies to make me consider this game to be good. I love games that focus on story and characters, or try to tackle a serious subject matter, but this one just wasn't good enough.

Here are parts of what I felt dragged the experience down. Mind, these are only aspects of the narrative, not game and level design, nor graphics:

• The writing isn't very good. There were too many situations where I either sighed or shook my head in disbelief. Some of it sounded like it was lifted from a bad B-film.
  • Wake's voice actor was either horribly miscast or horribly misdirected. He seemed to take himself way too seriously and the voice of the character came across as a self-absorbed douchebag, who loved to hear his own voice.
  • The explanatory dialogue made me cringe almost every single time. Whenever Wake had to narrate the following objective (e.g. "I had to go into the barn and pull the switch and open the door and kill the Taken and complete the objectives...") it took me out of the experience and felt like the game talked down to me.
  • The characters felt hollow. Almost everyone felt like throw-away cardboard stuff. The sheriff, the villain, Hartmann, Rose, etc.. Barry felt like the only fleshed out and lovable supporting character. I honestly cared more about him than I did with Wake (also, he reminded me of Vinny :lol).
  • The scenarios were too unrealistic compared to what the story tried to convey. It is like the game didn't know whether it wanted to be an action game with a throw away plot, or if it wanted to tell the player something (i.e. should be taken seriously).
  • Many other things wrong with the narrative aspect of the game, but I'm too tired.
Alan Wake basically taught me that Sam Lake shouldn't be given this much responsibility next time around (if Remedy hopefully gets the opportunity). The style and tone of the writing are much, much more appropriate for a game like Max Payne, where the story is secondary or is more compatible with the game world.

EDIT: I would just like to add that, overall the game wasn't bad. More like mediocre.

cwmartin said:

Hell no, the 360 has much better games. Get RE5 or even Gears if you want a 3rd person shooter.

Game got mixed reviews from alot of people. Personally for me, its my game of the year for 2010 so far (though Dead Rising 2 and Castlevania could change that) . I've replayed it three times already, gotten all the achievements, and just really loved the world Remedy created.

Though others thought it was boring, repetative, and lacked enough to keep them from calling it a great game.

Top Bottom