• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

I haven't beaten the signal dlc yet, but I can say based on my first and only play through of the main game that I was indeed disappointed by it. I guess I was expecting a Max Payne type of game, but what I got was something different: Max is a badass, and Alan is just a pussy.

The story was ok at points, but most of the time I thought that it was very lame. Sam Lake writes gritty revenge stories like Max Payne perfectly, but something supernatural like Alan Wake is not his forte, at least not in the main game. I just wanted this game to be Max Payne 3 instead of Alan Wake.

The gameplay is good but the repetitive nature of it makes it a chore at times just to get through a chapter. I really got sick of being in the woods.

The enemies were lame to me. Nothing spooky or thrilling for that matter.
And speaking of thrilling, I don't know how this is a "psychological action thriller". I only noticed the "action" part.

I loved the tech in the game, and thought the art was beautiful. I would love to see a Max Payne with this engine, but that won't happen.

The game isn't an A in my eyes. Maybe a B-

Veelk

Banned
Everybody who thinks the story is lacking should look up the story discussion thread of Alan Wake, because it's actually quite deep and intriguing in it's premise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It might be but I was completely lost.

Doesn't change the fact that I loved this game. Remedy is still strong, as far as I'm concerned. I just wish whoever could be forced away from Max Payne 3 in favor of Remedy, they're free now you know.

Veelk

Banned
Snuggler said:
It might be but I was completely lost.
Your kind of suppose to be. Penny Arcade described it as an MC Escher drawing in the form of a game, and the fun is trying to figure it out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Generic said:
Your kind of suppose to be. Penny Arcade described it as an MC Escher drawing in the form of a game, and the fun is trying to figure it out.

Yeah, I kinda got it until the end.

I think I have a mild grasp of what happened, but thats it. Sometime soon I'll finish my nightmare replay and do the DLC, hopefully I'll get it by then.
It's a fuckawesome game, though, one of my favorite of the year.

Generic said:
Everybody who thinks the story is lacking should look up the story discussion thread of Alan Wake, because it's actually quite deep and intriguing in it's premise.
It's not because people discuss endlessly about a story that it makes it deep or interesting, though.

Veelk

Banned
Snuggler said:
Yeah, I kinda got it until the end.

I think I have a mild grasp of what happened, but thats it. Sometime soon I'll finish my nightmare replay and do the DLC, hopefully I'll get it by then.
It's a fuckawesome game, though, one of my favorite of the year.

Trying to figure out whether
Zane wrote Alan Wake or Alan Wake wrote Zane
is only the beginning of the mystery. Literally everything and everyone in the story has double meaning in it.

harriet the spy said:
It's not because people discuss endlessly about a story that it makes it deep or interesting, though.
I never said it was. But it will offer different perspectives on the game, ones you probably won't think up on your own. Most people who don't really delve into the story are going to think of it on a purely surface level, with how it's filled with cliche, weak characters. Only those who take it further will realize it's depths.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
honestly my favorite thing was that sam lake aka
Max Payne voiced Zane.

It was nice to hear his voice.

Larsen B

Snuggler said:
honestly my favorite thing was that sam lake aka
Max Payne voiced Zane.

It was nice to hear his voice.

Sam Lake was the face of Max Payne in MP1, not the voice.

Second half of your sentence is correct though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Larsen B said:
Sam Lake was the face of Max Payne in MP1, not the voice.

Second half of your sentence is correct though.

oh. I gotta get my facts straight.

Well, either way, it was really cool to hear his voice in Alan Wake, especially for such an appropriate character.

just picked this game up for 30 bucks and it included "the signal" Ive been playing the shit out of Reach and Dead Rising 2 so I am ready for a little story driven game.

wish me luck I'm going in!

10/12 and the new achievements appeared on Xbox.com.

No Punctuation - 50G
Special 2: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.

Here we go again. :lol

Larsen B

Jeff Stephen said:
10/12 and the new achievements appeared on Xbox.com.

No Punctuation - 50G
Special 2: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.

Here we go again. :lol

Let's hope there's not another moving platform you have to cross right before the end of the episode.

First time through, I didn't realise you could just walk onto it instead of jumping.

Suffice it to say I was filled with rage upon missing that jump.

AnkitT

Completed the signal earlier today. It was definitely padded for length but it kept me interested with the story and the 'words' gameplay.

The writer looks boss though, hopefully
Zane makes a good writer of Wake lol

Yerolo

CrazedArabMan said:
They say it is an improvement in every-way from the last DLC

Cannot wait. I have charged up my account with MSP in anticipation. I really loved "The Signal" and hearing this just makes me even more excited

Numpt3

Think I might have to tear myself away from Reach to give Mr Wake a good send off with the final dlc. Anybody played it yet? The signal was brilliant so I've got my hopes up.

Yerolo

m0ngo said:
Think I might have to tear myself away from Reach to give Mr Wake a good send off with the final dlc. Anybody played it yet? The signal was brilliant so I've got my hopes up.

Downloading now....will report back with impressions later :D

voltron

Oh rad.

I know what Ill be doing Thursday. No work and Uni assignments can go fuck themselves.

Alan Wake gets a proper send off:D

Yerolo

K...just finished. Took me just over 2hrs (felt about the same size as The Signal)

Probably the weirdest chapter in the whole series, very good level design. Especially liked the
rotating 'house on a ferris wheel thing'

Ending
definitely leaves it all open for a sequel.

Thanks Remedy !

Feindflug

S1kkZ said:
just finished the second dlc: fantastic. thanks remedy for this awesome game!

Glad to hear that the new DLC is good.

BTW I just read the Eurogamer review of The Writer which they gave a 5/10...they seriously have a problem with this game & Remedy, maybe the worst review I've ever seen from them along with The Signal's.

The Writer down and it was pretty decent, definitely a step up from The Signal but they need to drop the heavy emphasis on combat in a sequel, unless they significantly improve the combat and control mechanics.

Story hardly progressed but the ending leaves me happy and confident they know what they're doing with the story, I just hope that MS give them the opportunity to see it through with a sequel.

:D

zorbsie

Is The Writer DLC as hard as The Signal. Maybe it was me not playing in a long time, but The Signal felt significantly harder then the full game.

zorbsie said:
Is The Writer DLC as hard as The Signal. Maybe it was me not playing in a long time, but The Signal felt significantly harder then the full game.

Nope, there are a couple of difficulty spikes (one near the beginning is just maddening), but it's easier than Signal. (you have a lot more weapon, ammo, batteries, etc in Writer and you start out with the Heavy Duty torch instead of having to find it again like in Signal).

It wasn't just you, they upped the number of Taken and encounters in Signal. That's why it was so much harder than any of the encounters from the main game.

Grrr, I want this now but I have to spend my points wisely for the 2400/800 deal this month. I may have to wait a week or two before downloading this.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the last dlc. Loved it, felt very varied.

Also,
the topic title totally spoils the ending!

Just wanted to give an update, Ive played up to chapter 4 so far, the game is amazing.. my wife is even getting into watching me play. I cant wait to finish it out and start the signal then the writer.

I have it downloaded and ready to play, but I think instead of jumping into it, I'm gonna go back and play through the whole game and Special 1 than finish it with 2. Gives me a little refresher, though I don't really need one. So it will be a little bit of a wait to play it, but it will be so worth it. Can't wait, also any more spoiler free impressions would be welcomed. :D

randomwab

ToyMachine228 said:
Can someone spoil the ending?

It turns out we were playing as Mr Scratchy in the DLC Specials. Scratchy is basically Alan's rational thought. Real Alan is slowly going insane in the cabin, and Zane has been guiding Scratchy back to Real Alan. At the end, you find Real Alan, who upon seeing Scratchy, snaps out of his insanity.

He's still stuck in the dark place, however. It ends with him saying he knows how to get out, by writing the sequel to Departure. He sits at the type writer, and when it shows what he's typed, it reads "Return - by Alan Wake", the title of his next novel.

Did I miss anything? Or am I getting anything wrong?

Top Bottom