• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
randomwab said:
It turns out we were playing as Mr Scratchy in the DLC Specials. Scratchy is basically Alan's rational thought. Real Alan is slowly going insane in the cabin, and Zane has been guiding Scratchy back to Real Alan. At the end, you find Real Alan, who upon seeing Scratchy, snaps out of his insanity.

He's still stuck in the dark place, however. It ends with him saying he knows how to get out, by writing the sequel to Departure. He sits at the type writer, and when it shows what he's typed, it reads "Return - by Alan Wake", the title of his next novel.

Did I miss anything? Or am I getting anything wrong?

I'm pretty damn sure, we're not playing as Mr Sratch in this dlc. He should be out in the real world right now. The dlc was vague on Scratch but certainly implied neither Cabin Alan or Nightmare Alan here were him.

randomwab said:
It turns out we were playing as Mr Scratchy in the DLC Specials. Scratchy is basically Alan's rational thought. Real Alan is slowly going insane in the cabin, and Zane has been guiding Scratchy back to Real Alan. At the end, you find Real Alan, who upon seeing Scratchy, snaps out of his insanity.

He's still stuck in the dark place, however. It ends with him saying he knows how to get out, by writing the sequel to Departure. He sits at the type writer, and when it shows what he's typed, it reads "Return - by Alan Wake", the title of his next novel.

Couldn't have said it better and that's my take on the ending as well.

S1kkZ

randomwab said:

wrong
you do not play as scratchy! alans sane side (which you play) asks zane if scratchy is also a part of him, zane answers with no.

randomwab

Nils said:
I'm pretty damn sure, we're not playing as Mr Sratch in this dlc. He should be out in the real world right now. The dlc was vague on Scratch but certainly implied neither Cabin Alan or Nightmare Alan here were him.

I was pretty sure Zane said we were Mr Scratchy, and I didn't think that was a metaphor or anything. Also, I'm pretty sure there is no Alan Wake in the real world as of the end of the game/DLC. I mean, Zane was also trapped in the dark place, and he didn't have a weird doppelgänger running around Bright Falls.

Maybe that's just me, though.

Edit:

S1kkZ said:
wrong
you do not play as scratchy! alans sane side (which you play) asks zane if scratchy is also a part of him, zane answers with no.

Ah, right. Need to replay it then. :lol

S1kkZ

randomwab said:
Ah, right. Need to replay it then. :lol

its pretty obvious (to me) that scratchy is a placeholder for zane. zane uses you to get out of the lake and scratchy is his new body that he can control (like the darkness from the lake did with barbara jagger). alan hints at that (are you just using me zane?), zane gets very angry after that.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
S1kkZ said:
its pretty obvious (to me) that scratchy is a placeholder for zane. zane uses you to get out of the lake and scratchy is his new body that he can control (like the darkness from the lake did with barbara jagger). alan hints at that (are you just using me zane?), zane gets very angry after that.

Hmm. This does make sense. I'd buy that as an explanation.

S1kkZ said:

Though if thats the case, whats would be
Zanes motivation in helping Alan escape? *edit* or by helping Alan escape therefor he helps himself escape?

S1kkZ

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Though if thats the case, whats would be
Zanes motivation in helping Alan escape?
i was just going to post my theory on that:
he wants alan to be sane and continue to write. he needs alan to continue the story, since he is the only way zane can get out of the lake. zane has control over alans dreams (he can enter them and "teach" him things) which means he can influence him to write the story as he wishes. alan knows that (at least some of it), he even asks him how he fits into his story and why/how he wrote the clicker into his past. alan is writing but everything is still zanes story and it will never end, unless alan dies or escapes from the lake.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed 'The Writer', and I can't wait for the sequel. I hope they can come up some ways to add more non-combat gameplay elements. Even though I thought the combat was ok I would prefer more story, puzzles, character interaction, etc.

big_z

this dlc was a mixed bag. i fell off ledges at least 4 times thanks to bounding boxes and the shit jump mechanic. it was shorter than the last and ends poorly.
yeah it's nice that they told us who both alans were but well never get a sequel, since the game didnt sell a whole lot

AnkitT

Loved the platforming bits, better than just adding more enemies. I think that the ending pretty much indicates a sequel. Really enjoyed the mindfuck story conclusion(or beginning?).

rjfs

Neo Member
What a disappointment. Alan Wake is one of my favorite games this gen, but the Writer was weak, worse than the Signal imo.

I still really hope we get a sequel, but if not I think Alan Wake would have been remembered more fondly if they never bothered with the DLC in the first place.

Just finished the Writer... loved it. The battle with the
lighthouse beams
was awesome. And I don't get the people who actually disliked it... they really took more license with the environments, and I thought it was really interesting. By the way, reading the theories above and whatnot, I'm fairly certain
Zane is going to end up the bad guy. Not because he's evil necessarily, but he doesn't have Wake's interest at heart, and I bet he's willing to escape by any means necessary.
Bring on a sequel! PLEASE

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm at chapter 3 now (the mines, visually very arresting tbh) and I'll just say that this is easily one of the most atmospheric and overall more impressive games of this generation. It doesn't do anything special gameplay-wise, but the overall polish makes everything feel and look great. The lighting gives this game a real sense of oppressiveness and just taking down enemies never gets tiresome because it feels so fulfulling. The only thing I can bitch about are the less than stellar facial animations, but that's about it.

I heard that the game didn't get an overall glowing reception so I didn't expect too much going in, but it's a really big surprise. Fantastic experience so far.

Kolgar

Creamium said:
I'm at chapter 3 now (the mines, visually very arresting tbh) and I'll just say that this is easily one of the most atmospheric and overall more impressive games of this generation. It doesn't do anything special gameplay-wise, but the overall polish makes everything feel and look great. The lighting gives this game a real sense of oppressiveness and just taking down enemies never gets tiresome because it feels so fulfulling. The only thing I can bitch about are the less than stellar facial animations, but that's about it.

I heard that the game didn't get an overall glowing reception so I didn't expect too much going in, but it's a really big surprise. Fantastic experience so far.

Yeah, I'm still working through my first playthrough (thanks to a massive backlog) and just last night I was thinking how incredible the presentation is. Sure, sure--the game is sub-HD. That still doesn't stop it from being one of the best-looking games on consoles. So many times I'm running through the forest or looking over a ledge and it's just jaw-dropping.

One of the few games to pull off such believable environments, and it adds so much to the atmosphere of the game.

FrankT

RETROEX said:

I truly hope so.

I finished the DLC and Alan Wake remains one of my top games this year. While ME2 and RDR are my favorite games for the year I simply loved the storytelling and writing of Alan Wake. It has its clear flaws, but Alan Wake remains up in the top tier with Bioshock for me this generation in story/writing/atmosphere. I believe they have learned a great deal from this first outing to make the second game far better in all aspects, but I just hope MS gives them enough time in turn around. 5 years was too much the first time around, but they have stated with everything in place a 2 year turn around would be enough. Also the new Alan Wake theme on the MP is ace. Also it’s nice to see them bundling this with the new HW even as a download. Every sale counts right.

P.S. Remedy, no tearing this time around please. The first real gripe I had with the game footage early on and it remains.

thetechkid

catapult37 said:
Just finished the Writer... loved it. The battle with the
lighthouse beams
was awesome. And I don't get the people who actually disliked it... they really took more license with the environments, and I thought it was really interesting. By the way, reading the theories above and whatnot, I'm fairly certain
Zane is going to end up the bad guy. Not because he's evil necessarily, but he doesn't have Wake's interest at heart, and I bet he's willing to escape by any means necessary.
Bring on a sequel! PLEASE

Would be cool if in the return Alan Wake you find out Zane was using Alan the whole time to free himself. As in the whole first game was to train him so Zane can use him to get himself out/fight the Darkness head on.
Also would love some hand to hand combat(if it its just pushing or punching).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just finished Alan Wake and have yet to jump in the DLC (I'm saving it). I have to say that this is one of my favorite games of the generation. The game's review scores (which I believe to be about accurate) do not reflect how great this game is.

There are a few things Id like to see in the sequel:

1) Fix the lip syncing and the tearing! 2) Let me explore the town during the day in an episode. I want to walk around and take in the game while I interact with pedestrians. I'd also like to be able to explore just a tiny bit more at night. 3) Give me at least two or three more variations of enemies. I got bored after a while of birds and humans. Maybe have more forest animals too. 4) A couple of more weapons would have been cool. Sometimes the enemies pissed me off and I was hoping to tap into the police armory and grab myself an M16.

Is there any indication of what the sales numbers have been since? I feel as if this game hasn't been given proper marketing and it's a shame. The "Bight Falls" episodes were awesome, and I hope they do it again but... Get some T.V. and print adds out there!

Pydte

Finally beat The Writer DLC yesterday. Unfortunately, I wasn't really impressed with it. The platforming sequences is a down right disaster, and there are many of them. It is a mystery to me why Remedy would include such sequences when the controls are simply not suited for them. Add in a lame achievement design, and the DLC is bound for frustration.

As such, I have to give the nod to The Signal. Although heavy on combat, I felt the encounters much more varied and, most importantly, less frustrating.

Given my slight disappointment with how Remedy put this game to rest, I will eagerly look forward to a second installment. If they add more depth to the combat, remove the horrible platforming and infuriating collect-a-thons, while retaining the Twin Peaks feel, then I'm game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I played and finished The Signal yesterday and I really liked it. I was surprised at how high the enemy count is from the very beginning. Before you're given a decent weapon you have to outrun some pretty strong Taken. But I liked it: it's heavy on action like Pydte said and the pace never slows down. Combat in this game is rock solid, it's good they made an episode focusing on that aspect.

Gonna do a Nightmare run before playing The Writer. Can someone tell me what happens to your statistics/items when you start a new game? Do all the collectibles from your previous game carry over to a new one?

Cyberia

Creamium said:
Gonna do a Nightmare run before playing The Writer. Can someone tell me what happens to your statistics/items when you start a new game? Do all the collectibles from your previous game carry over to a new one?

Yep.

Cyberia said:

Wish more developers would do this as well.

Dead Space had a weird set-up, if you didn't select the newly unlocked difficulty right away after beating it, it would then lock again. And nothing carried over iirc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Cyberia said:

Thanks. Getting all the thermoses is gonna be a lost cause for me. I found 85 first time through and I can't be bothered using a guide to get the rest. The hidden chests/radios/tv's are the good kind of collectibles that at least reward your sense for exploration, but the coffee is just too much of a hassle for nothing.

Creamium said:
Thanks. Getting all the thermoses is gonna be a lost cause for me. I found 85 first time through and I can't be bothered using a guide to get the rest. The hidden chests/radios/tv's are the good kind of collectibles that at least reward your sense for exploration, but the coffee is just too much of a hassle for nothing.
Should get you started in the right direction, might as well pick up all collectibles in one run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNoOC7wjkk

skyfinch

Writer was good. Not as good as the Signal. In all, Alan Wake is in my top 3 of single player games this gen for Xbox (managed to get all the achievements, only been able to do this for 2 other games). Enslaved and SplinterCell Conviction are up there as well.
light house part, where you have to destroy the rocks so the light can shine through was intense. My favorite part, by far.

I have 98 thermoses. Going through a guide to figure out which I missed would be almost as much work as just searching the game for them all again. I almost wish the thermoses reset when you started a new game -- it would make following a guide easier.

At least the collectables in the DLC made a noise you could home in on.

Minamu

catapult37 said:
I have 98 thermoses. Going through a guide to figure out which I missed would be almost as much work as just searching the game for them all again. I almost wish the thermoses reset when you started a new game -- it would make following a guide easier.

At least the collectables in the DLC made a noise you could home in on.
Delete your saves and you get what you wish for :)

Did anyone else have trouble getting setting the brightness? I feel like if I make the text in the top bar unreadable, then the game is too dark, in that the text doesn't look right. What's the best way to calibrate this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jeff Stephen said:
Should get you started in the right direction, might as well pick up all collectibles in one run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNoOC7wjkk

I used this in combination with an all in one text guide. So I did cave for those 100 thermoses. There were some really sneaky ones that I never would've found without a guide. Nightmare mode wasn't too hard, expect for the
Poltergeist fight on the bridge near the end
. Dropping a flare and running is oftentimes the best strategy, which also makes that Signal no death run a lot easier.

FrankT

When I first played it I felt that way too. Almost turned me off to it, but it didn't take long to find the groove so to speak.

Just finished "The Writer", and I enjoyed it more than "The Signal". Particularly the trippier setpieces.
Jimmy Stav said:
Is it just me, or is this game incredibly fucking hard?
Knock the difficulty down to Normal if you are having trouble.

Lunchbox

Banned
how is alan wake hard? you people didnt pay attention to the tutorial did you. listen to that light voice dude at the start. my cousin did this and started shooting at darkness people like call of duty and kept asking why they werent dying.

light until dark goes away, then gun. not just gun gun gun

a Master Ninja said:
Just finished "The Writer", and I enjoyed it more than "The Signal". Particularly the trippier setpieces.

Agreed, also the ending sent a shiver down my spine when he says
"A sequel to Departure" Then the screen zooms in on the page and we see Return By Alan Wake
I really thought that was well done. From start to finish (including DLC), this game passed every expectation I had, I can't wait to see what Remedy has in store for us next. ;)

I've been playing it on normal, and I just never feel like I can weaken them with light fast enough so that I'm not completely overwhelmed with them. While I'm lighting up one guy, there's always someone who comes up and slashes at me from behind.

I am finally playing the DLC for this, and -- surprise, surprise! -- having almost as much of a blast as I did with the full game, though the repetition of both combat and environments is starting to just maybe grate a little.

The Signal is down, may save The Writer for tomorrow night.

Jimmy Stav said:
I've been playing it on normal, and I just never feel like I can weaken them with light fast enough so that I'm not completely overwhelmed with them. While I'm lighting up one guy, there's always someone who comes up and slashes at me from behind.
-be mindful of your surroundings, put your back to a wall during a tough encounter so guys can't sneak up on you
-don't be afraid to use flares and flash bangs for crowd control
-if necessary avoid confrontation by running away to the next light/checkpoint
-if you are out of breath but still need to run, quickly turn around and shine the light on an enemy to stop them in their tracks for a brief moment

Anyone else have any tips?

derFeef

a Master Ninja said:
-be mindful of your surroundings, put your back to a wall so guys can't sneak up on you
-if you are out of breath but still need to run, quickly turn around and shine the light on an enemy to stop them in their tracks for a brief moment

Pretty much.
Use light for crowd control - boost light into them for short to make them back up and to get a bit of breathing room.

Thanks everyone. I'm realizing that flares/etc. are a more vital part of the combat than I was giving them credit for. I guess you're really supposed to use them, not save them.

The confusing thing is how much light is required to take down certain enemies. It seems like some I don't even have to do much more than put the flashlight in their direction in order to take them down, whereas others I really have to use a ton of battery to get the job done.

a Master Ninja said:
-be mindful of your surroundings, put your back to a wall during a tough encounter so guys can't sneak up on you

-If you hold LT lightly you can aim without boosting your flashlight, and so conserve beam.
-If you see an enemy getting ready to hurl something at you, a quick boost over him will make him flinch out of the throw.
-With most enemies, moving the flashlight from one to the next is the best way to keep them at bay. But with certain larger enemies, you'll see their darkness recharging (the light circle will turn orange) once you move it off them. You need to focus your beam on them as much as possible.
-Use the environment. There are plenty of things that make light lying around. Dangling electric wires will kill enemies in one hit if you can lead them through them.
-The dodge button has a massive window for use, so just spam it liberally whenever you see something being thrown or swung at you.
-In any area where it gets intensely foggy and the wind/darkness whistles loudly, enemies are going to respawn constantly until you get to the neck light source/checkpoint. Your goal in these areas is to advance, not to kill everything.
-Flares are riot shields, flashbangs are grenades, the flare gun is a rocket launcher.

Jimmy Stav said:
The confusing thing is how much light is required to take down certain enemies. It seems like some I don't even have to do much more than put the flashlight in their direction in order to take them down, whereas others I really have to use a ton of battery to get the job done.
As you wave your flashlight over them you'll see a contracting ring of light that shows how much shield they have remaining. Bigger guys have bigger rings (and take more bullets).

Top Bottom