• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

derFeef said:
I watched it being played a few weeks back at a friends house with a huge plasma and a nice audio setup. It was beautiful and intense. He normally does not play such kind of games but he really got sucked into it and we almost talk every day about it. My game of the year for sure. So happy that Remedy seems to do something with the franchise...

The fact they put it up on games on demand and is are also giving copies in special marked 360 bundles gives me hope Microsoft is trying to get Alan Wake in the wild as much as possible now so that when part 2 comes out, its better received.

I still put alot of blame on the fact it launched the same day as Red Dead Redemption. Thats tough competition.

Got the game last week because the copy of Alpha Protocol I got was broken and this was the same price so I just swapped them.

Liking it a lot.

On my first play through right now and playing on Hard. Enemies are easy to manage as long as I put distance between myself and them. Controls and camera can be a bit of a pain sometimes though.

I finally got around to grabbing this game and holy crap...

...does this game look terrible.

The story looks very well done. But good god, the graphics look like blocky, muddy water on my 42'' 1080p LCD. It looks like a Wii game on my HDTV. Is there something I'm doing...wrong? I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but I am just at a total loss on why it looks this bad. It's frustrating because I really like everything else about it.

Grisby

AnEternalEnigma said:

The story looks very well done. But good god, the graphics look like blocky, muddy water on my 42'' 1080p LCD. It looks like a Wii game on my HDTV. Is there something I'm doing...wrong? I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but I am just at a total loss on why it looks this bad. It's frustrating because I really like everything else about it.

Yeah. I dunno man. The game looked amazing on my HD set. Alan Wakes resolution isn't the best but a Wii game? Not that much of a downgrade. Im not a techie so sorry I cant help you out that much.

thetechkid

Outside of the lip syncing I never had any problems with my game, definitely didn't look bad. Do the rest of your games look fine?

DangerStepp

I was unfortunately lttp on this one but snagged a good deal on it and played it for most of my Thanksgiving break.

It left me in awe and wanting more. I haven't been able to shut up about it to all of my friends. Easily my game of the year and one of my all time favorites.

Dont even question yourself if you're curious! You must play this game!!!!

feel

AnEternalEnigma said:

It looked a bit soft, but still incredible IMO. Was more impressed with it than with most games this gen.

imtehman

Banned
DangerStepp said:
I was unfortunately lttp on this one but snagged a good deal on it and played it for most of my Thanksgiving break.

It left me in awe and wanting more. I haven't been able to shut up about it to all of my friends. Easily my game of the year and one of my all time favorites.

pretty much how i felt when i played this game. i hope more people get an opportunity to play it

I turned my 360's resolution down to 720p and the game looks a lot more tolerable. It's still blocky in some parts, but it's a lot better than the muddy water it looked like at 1080p.

DangerStepp said:

Nice... did you make sure to play the two DLC add on packs? If not, HIGHLY recommended!!!

and as for someone saying this game looks terrible, yeah not sure. I mean I'm playing through this again 6 months after release and I'm still in awe. While its not the most graphically intense game ever, it sure does know how to use its assets very well.

DangerStepp

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Nice... did you make sure to play the two DLC add on packs? If not, HIGHLY recommended!!!

and as for someone saying this game looks terrible, yeah not sure. I mean I'm playing through this again 6 months after release and I'm still in awe. While its not the most graphically intense game ever, it sure does know how to use its assets very well.

I finished the first free add-on Sunday night and really enjoyed it. My wife suggested I go ahead and get the second one because she wanted to see what happens, but I didn't wanna finish it all up just yet. It's just so good that I don't want it to end, but I'll more than likely play it by week's end.

Are there plans for any more episode add-ons?

Thanks for the recommendation!

derFeef

DangerStepp said:
I finished the first free add-on Sunday night and really enjoyed it. My wife suggested I go ahead and get the second one because she wanted to see what happens, but I didn't wanna finish it all up just yet. It's just so good that I don't want it to end, but I'll more than likely play it by week's end.

The Writer is the last episode. The very last. I have not played both myself (shame on me) but can't wait for some free time to do this.

DangerStepp said:

No they said after the second one that they were finished. This is most likely due to them focusing on Alan Wake 2. Nothing is confirmed for that but Alan Wake is a exclusive Microsoft IP and while it didn't have AMAZING sales when it came out, it still did damn good for a new IP. So I'm sure Remedy is hard at work.

The beauty part of it all is that, they have the engine done and according to them the story is already done, which really means they have to make new assets, some tweaks to gameplay, etc and voice work, music etc. Bottom line is, it won't take 5-7 year. If its anything like Max Payne, will see another Alan Wake in another 2 years or so. Original Max Payne took years to come out and was released in July 23, 2001. Max Payne 2 was released October 14, 2003. You do the math! :D

derFeef

damn slasher, you make me excited - but everything sounds logical for sure :)
MidnightRider said:
Anyone want to sell me their copy of this?

I've been wanting to check it out for a while now.
Someone said you can get it for 15$ or so... I think that is cheap enough. It is also available on XBL (Games on Demand)

This game is amazing. Everything from the atmosphere, graphics, music, to the characters makes it one of my favorite games of the generation. This game introduced me to Poets of the Fall. Wow.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
This game is amazing. Everything from the atmosphere, graphics, music, to the characters makes it one of my favorite games of the generation. This game introduced me to Poets of the Fall. Wow.

Max Payne did that for me. Great band.

DangerStepp

slasher_thrasher21 said:
No they said after the second one that they were finished. This is most likely due to them focusing on Alan Wake 2. Nothing is confirmed for that but Alan Wake is a exclusive Microsoft IP and while it didn't have AMAZING sales when it came out, it still did damn good for a new IP. So I'm sure Remedy is hard at work.

The beauty part of it all is that, they have the engine done and according to them the story is already done, which really means they have to make new assets, some tweaks to gameplay, etc and voice work, music etc. Bottom line is, it won't take 5-7 year. If its anything like Max Payne, will see another Alan Wake in another 2 years or so. Original Max Payne took years to come out and was released in July 23, 2001. Max Payne 2 was released October 14, 2003. You do the math! :D
In that case, I'm stoked! :D

olore

Started Episode 4 now and I can understand those who find the combat a bit repetitive and the enemies not varied enough but I think it`s fine. I still find myself just stopping and gawking over the environments and lighting. Also, the flashbangs make an awesome sound when used, playing this via a 5.1 setup and I amke sure to have the volume turned UP.
Remedy should do Alan Wake: The Deerhunter so not to waste the beautiful woods and nature segments of the game...

bj00rn_

Banned
Just bought it. Much better than I feared, and it's growing on me quick. Oh, it has its lows for sure, but at average it's fantastic, and at times I gotta say it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. On my way to the mine I stopped the car and walked out just to look at the scenery. Good times.

Anyway, don't know why the controller setting defaults at the highest sensitivity, but when I turned it down a few notches the game became more enjoyable to me.

Edit: Even on its easiest setting it's a tad difficult to conserve ammo.. Seems like every time I'm loaded the game piles on with enemies. Does this game have some kind of stupid dynamic difficulty or am I just paranoid?

derFeef

bj00rn_ said:
Just bought it. Much better than I feared, and it's growing on me quick. Oh, it has its lows for sure, but at average it's fantastic, and at times I gotta say it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. On my way to the mine I stopped the car and walked out just to look at the scenery. Good times.

Anyway, don't know why the controller setting defaults at the highest sensitivity, but when I turned it down a few notches the game became more enjoyable to me.

Edit: Even on its easiest setting it's a tad difficult to conserve ammo.. Seems like every time I'm loaded the game piles on with enemies. Does this game have some kind of stupid dynamic difficulty or am I just paranoid?
The game has dynamic difficulty yes, but I have never noticed it. Maybe you are way off the path? If you are wandering around too much, enemies just keep coming.

Nils said:
Max Payne did that for me. Great band.

Actually, I remember hearing them in Max Payne and I was impressed with them back then, but I ended up forgetting about them until I heard them again in Max Payne. Amazing band. This game is a breath of fresh air for me. I plan on stating the DLC soon.

Glad to see some late to the party people coming in an enjoying the game. I too understand how some people grew tired of the combat and lack of enemy variety but overall I felt everything else was so outstanding and paced well enough that it didn't bother me and I felt the limited enemies made sense in the context of things.

Though when I think about it I still think Alan must have killed off like most of the townsfolk by the end of the game. :lol

bj00rn_

Banned
derFeef said:
The game has dynamic difficulty yes, but I have never noticed it. Maybe you are way off the path? If you are wandering around too much, enemies just keep coming.

Yeah, I usually wander off and explore every nook and cranny of games I enjoy, so that might have something to do with it..

The game is flawed at places, and I think it would deserve a bigger development team (Remedy has what, 45? That's not much for a game of this "size"). But I feel it's wrong to focus on the flaws (Although I'd like more variety and a lot more adventure elements). I love the game, that's the bottom line, it's quite an underrated experience.
Oh, and in the beginning of the game, inside the diner, I was disappointed when I couldn't walk outside. I thought it was some kind of technical memory limit. That the game would always only load small chunks of of locations one at a time. But it was nice to discover later in the game that it surely isn't like that :)

DangerStepp

bj00rn_ said:

Glad you're liking it so far. And yes, I find myself short on ammo many times throughout. It's times like those you gotta make due with what you have and get to that next lamppost!

Even without ammo, you'll be okay so long as you have plenty of battery in your flashlight. If you find yourself in this situation again then run until he becomes fatigued, spin around and blind your pursuers, then hit the dodge button so you'll keep clear of their blows if they swing. You should be up for running more after this.

Grisby

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Glad to see some late to the party people coming in an enjoying the game. I too understand how some people grew tired of the combat and lack of enemy variety but overall I felt everything else was so outstanding and paced well enough that it didn't bother me and I felt the limited enemies made sense in the context of things.

Though when I think about it I still think Alan must have killed off like most of the townsfolk by the end of the game. :lol

I never thought about that. Yes, Alan Wake probably took down most of the population of Bright Falls :lol .

The combat felt good to me but it did get repetitive toward the end. I do like how they changed up the combat scenarios in the DLC.

Grisby said:
I never thought about that. Yes, Alan Wake probably took down most of the population of Bright Falls :lol .

The combat felt good to me but it did get repetitive toward the end. I do like how they changed up the combat scenarios in the DLC.

Yeah it did get a bit repetative, but honest, I find most games combat wether its a FPS, hack and slash, adventure game, etc, I get tired of it towards the end. Though if I'm involved in the world they have sold me on enough, that stuff sorta fades into the background.

Though thinking about what other types of combat they could add into it without it getting too out of hand. We don't want a rambo! :lol Molotovs might have been cool since they are a light source.

I also agree that the combat scenarios made the DLC wonderful. I have a big feeling in the next Alan Wake, will get some extremely awesome set peices.

I really liked Alan Wake, but man, the DLC is annoying. I picked up the game on release and beat it when I got it, and only started The Signal DLC now as I tapped out all of the games of 2010 that were on my list of games to play. But about 30-40 mins in its not doing a good job of easing me in. The difficulty seems to be harder than anything in the main game. Thats not to say that its impossible, but its not really fun either. I'm more interested in the story than killing a bunch of Taken over and over again.

edit: I think I'm one death away from youtubing the ending and trading this game in tomorrow.

edit 2: Got past that part, but then got to another shitty area. Think I'm done with this.

I'll buy a sequel but hell, they need to stick to the amount of enemies in an area to where it was in the original game and make use of generous checkpoints as it also was in the original game. Also think that its ridiculous that the lowest difficulty is "Normal". Again, its not that I can't beat this if I felt like challenging myself, but when I'm just in the mood to kick back and enjoy the atmosphere and the story I don't want to deal with as much difficulty as this is throwing at me. Its not impossible, but its enough to throw off the good balance that they had in the original game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought about buying the DLC as I loved the story, however since it's intended to bridge the gap between the end of the original and the possible sequel, I decided to wait and see if a sequel is actually announced.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I turned my 360's resolution down to 720p and the game looks a lot more tolerable. It's still blocky in some parts, but it's a lot better than the muddy water it looked like at 1080p.

Is this true ? Can anybody confirm this !!!!

Will it work for other games ???? :D

JaseC

gamemadmax said:
Is this true ? Can anybody confirm this !!!!

Will it work for other games ???? :D

It makes sense, as the internal resolution of the game is closer to SD than 720p.

I have my PS3 and 360 outputting at 720p simply due to the fact the vast majority of games are <720p.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
infinityBCRT said:
I really liked Alan Wake, but man, the DLC is annoying. I picked up the game on release and beat it when I got it, and only started The Signal DLC now as I tapped out all of the games of 2010 that were on my list of games to play. But about 30-40 mins in its not doing a good job of easing me in. The difficulty seems to be harder than anything in the main game. Thats not to say that its impossible, but its not really fun either. I'm more interested in the story than killing a bunch of Taken over and over again.

edit: I think I'm one death away from youtubing the ending and trading this game in tomorrow.

edit 2: Got past that part, but then got to another shitty area. Think I'm done with this.

I'll buy a sequel but hell, they need to stick to the amount of enemies in an area to where it was in the original game and make use of generous checkpoints as it also was in the original game. Also think that its ridiculous that the lowest difficulty is "Normal". Again, its not that I can't beat this if I felt like challenging myself, but when I'm just in the mood to kick back and enjoy the atmosphere and the story I don't want to deal with as much difficulty as this is throwing at me. Its not impossible, but its enough to throw off the good balance that they had in the original game.

huh, add me to the group that thought that the game was far too easy on hard (and on a second play through i had no difficulty with nightmare). also, i found the dlc chapters better then the actual game. different strokes for different folks i guess

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
JaseC said:
It makes sense, as the internal resolution of the game is closer to SD than 720p.

I have my PS3 and 360 outputting at 720p simply due to the fact the vast majority of games are <720p.

Yep, same here, and I even picked out a 720p TV over a 1080p TV for my console gaming knowing that it would be a closer match to most games resolutions this generation.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Picked this up on Friday and dived straight in. Didn't think much of the game at the diner but the wandering around the woods/cliffs in dusk and night time are great. My only problem is the game so far treats you like a n00b. If I pick Hard difficulty straight out, I don't constantly need to keep being told to press B every time I stand next a ladder/generator/thermos/manuscript/ammo/etc. I like my games a bit challenging but it seems today difficulty just means less ammo and tougher enemies. Objects still glow as soon as they are in your los.

Still going to soldier on though as I've only touched the surface, somewhere near the end of Episode 2.

Nelo Ice

Banned
just finished the game on hard today with all the collectibles :D

awesome game! well worth what the price i paid for the CE
already have the signal and writer dlc so i need to get through them eventually i'll have a nightmare playthrough to give me an excuse to listen to the commentary and so i can get the last manuscript pages

also need to start reading the book from the CE
theres still so much i need to do with the game! :lol :D

Tokubetsu

Nelo Ice said:
just finished the game on hard today with all the collectibles :D

awesome game! well worth what the price i paid for the CE
already have the signal and writer dlc so i need to get through them eventually i'll have a nightmare playthrough to give me an excuse to listen to the commentary and so i can get the last manuscript pages

also need to start reading the book from the CE
theres still so much i need to do with the game! :lol :D

Yea, part of the reason why they absolutely have to do a sequel. They made such a great universe/setting.

JaseC

Dries said:
Seriously.. From 2:46 to 3:28 is the single greatest fucking moment in the history of video games. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is perfect about that scene. No other developer can master that atmoshpere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kN0ZZo0XD4&feature=fvw

Whenever the sweeping vistas hit - giving the impression that the world of Bright Falls was indeed this great, vast space - I found myself wishing the original vision for the game wasn't thrown in the bin.

Dries

Started thinking about the story the other day and also came upon this post in the story thread:

EDIT: I will say first that I haven't got my hands on the Alan Wake Files, nor have I seen the preludes. This is based entirely on the content of the game itself, and the game alone.

Here's my take on it. I get more of a Donnie Darko vibe than a Twin Peaks one.

There's Bright Falls the real place, and there's Bright Falls as written by Alan Wake after he and Alice get to the cabin. This Bright Falls is the world of a book called "Departure", which Alan gets the inspiration to write after getting mad at Alice about the typewriter.

None of what the characters do after Alice apparently gets pulled into the lake is actually real, just what Alan writes about them. He does not know them, but if you'll notice, every major character after the initial trip to Alan is revealed to Alan before the point where he apparently starts writing. Everything he writes about these characters is a work of fiction based on whatever experience he had with them to that point. For example, Hartman - everything you see of him is a work of fiction written by Alan Wake, based on the book that Alice had and his feelings about it. Rose, Rusty, the Sheriff, the brothers, crazy lamp lady, he meets them all in the diner, and creates their entire back stories out of that brief meeting, that's the only time you see the "real" them. There was a writer called Thomas Zane, but not the one that Alan creates, he just got the name from a pile of books that you can examine in the cabin. The parts of the manuscript that make it seem like Zane knows/wrote Alan? That's actually just Alan writing about Alan. You meet Mott on the boat, but he's not really called Mott in real life, he's just some random asshole that Wake bases a character on. Barry doesn't really come to Bright Falls, Alan just writes a character into his book that's based on the real Barry who calls him on the way to Bright Falls. The only one I can't figure out is the FBI guy - it's like he's a character in a completely different story, everything he does and everything that's written in the manuscripts about him is completely at odds with the rest of the story. Maybe that was deliberate. I think he's actually like the lead character of Alan's previous books, and that story (or some other story) has somehow gotten mixed with the "Departure" one. Kind of writing two sets of lyrics then putting them together into one song.

The ending where everything seems to go back in time is where I get the most "Donnie Darko". In the "real" Bright Falls, life is going on as normal, the festival is happening... but then there's subtle hints as to how the "imagined" world has effected the real world (crazy lamp Rose), similar to how Patrick Swayze is seen crying at the end of Donnie Darko after the story goes back in time, even though the events that lead to him being found out as being a pedophile didn't actually happen. I think this indicates that the supernatural stuff does actually exist, that Alan's battle with the darkness was real, but only to Alan (hence why "Barbara" gives him the key to the cabin at the start - you'll notice that no other character actually sees "Barbara" at the start of the game, and for that matter, the "Barbara" that you learn about isn't actually the weird lady that gives you the key because Alan invented her).

The entire thing, really, is just Alan getting his groove back. Take what you will from the supernatural stuff. Real? Metaphorical? Both?

Yeah, I know there's holes in this. I'm having a really hard time articulating what I'm trying to say here. Ironic!

I think this is a really interesting theory and I kinda think the same way about the story. What do you guys think?

Haven't played the DLC yet, but I will soon.

JimmyBoy

Way late to the party but WOW. Super impressed with the story telling, atmosphere and voice acting. 3rd person shooter mechanics are sufficient but honestly I just can't wait to see what happens next so it doesn't matter.

Dries

Also wondering: does the DLC explain a lot story-wise? Will we get some new answers? Or is it all just action jackson?

Veelk

Banned
It reveals some stuff about Alan Wake's psyche, especially ghost Barry, who may put a new spin on how you view the real Alan Wake, and thus, question exactly how the 'real' characters really are.

Anyway, you said that you think this is just Alan relaxing, but if you notice, there are quite a few similarities between Zane's life and Alan Wake's. Both have a fangirl that is touched by the darkness and turned into the Lady of the Light. Both have lovers who were taken by the darkness. Best friends, but Barry is different from Hartman for obvious reasons. And the DLC put some shady aspects to Zane's character. It's difficult to tell whose writing who. Did Alan write Zane to be the way he is to give context to what he does...or is it the other way around? Did Zane create Alan? Did his story not end when he became trapped under the lake? Is his plot still moving?

FrankT

Dries said:
Also wondering: does the DLC explain a lot story-wise? Will we get some new answers? Or is it all just action jackson?

It answers some not all, which sets up for a nice ending however.

pakkit

Banned
This is the first single player game that I've blasted through since Super Mario Galaxy 2 earlier on in the year. The atmosphere in Alan Wake is thick, the story is well-paced and takes you to some truly great set-pieces/environments. I love that it rewards that player that seeks out every nook and cranny with additional story elements.

Some additional thoughts...with some spoilers ahead.

Alan Wake certainly strikes me as semi-autobiographical from Remedy. Alan Wake kills off the main character in his critically acclaimed New York noir revenge tale, (or, alternatively, hands him off to Rockstar) and loses the ability to write. There are elements there but the actual craft is weighing on him too much. Alan Wake's storied history is 5 years old, a supposedly open-world horror game that would revolutionize the genre. Instead, we have a great linear narrative that cherry picks from all the greats (both story-wise with King references, echoes of Silent Hill, Twin Peaks, X-Files, and the Twilight Zone, and gameplay wise with RE4, Silent Hill, and Half Life 2 comparisons). It may not be as fine tuned as some had hoped, but I can't wait for the next "season," plot holes and all.

Playing on Normal difficulty proved way too easy, although some of the weird checkpoints could definitely frustrate much more if the game was harder.

Ultimately, I loved this game, and I see it as a great companion piece to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, a game that was, ironically, made in a very brief amount of time development-wise, yet touched on a lot of similar gameplay mechanics and narrative structure.

.GqueB.

Banned
olore said:
Started Episode 4 now and I can understand those who find the combat a bit repetitive and the enemies not varied enough but I think it`s fine. I still find myself just stopping and gawking over the environments and lighting. Also, the flashbangs make an awesome sound when used, playing this via a 5.1 setup and I amke sure to have the volume turned UP.
Remedy should do Alan Wake: The Deerhunter so not to waste the beautiful woods and nature segments of the game...
I just finished this game and I spent half of it wanting the experience to end.

Good god the gameplay was repetitive. Youre doing the same thing over and over again for hours on end. The experience doesnt change once. I really cant quite explain just how much I hated this game...

yet at the same time kind of liked it.

The storytelling, while confusing, was pretty well done. I enjoyed the general tone of the game and how it made me felt. I was always on edge especially when traipsing through the forrest.

But the gameplay really ruined the game for me. It was fun for the first few hours but then there was that moment where you realize theres really nothing else to it and thats when I stopped liking it and would only play it once a week. All of the environments felt exactly the same as well. They spent all this time making the game only to make you run through the same area about 6-14 times. I cant even count how many times I thought "Another ****ing forrest?!". This game was mostly enjoyable when 1) you didnt have a gun and 2) when it was daytime. Once I got a gun I got depressed because I knew Id eventually have to experience that crap they came up with they decided to call "combat".

All in all I hated the experience but part of me still liked it. The ending reminded me too much of LOST so I despised that as well. Im all over the place and Im very tired (I just played it for 3 hours straight because I wanted to get it over with after a good 2 or 3 months) so Im not even sure how I really feel about this game. Im mostly blogging right now.

I think Im drunk.

And another thing. The thermos's were dumb. Took me right out of the game because I kept looking for them even though I had no desire to have them. It was this strange feeling of "these things mean nothing to me yet I cant miss one". This is all well and good except I couldnt drive 2 feet without checking my surroundings for the stupid things. Then Im running across this bridge trying to escape this violent being and instead of running for my life Im looking for a goddam thermos. And of course there was one (that I saw). Moments like that were irritating. Self inflicted and unnecessary but irritating.

Barry was the best part of this game. Barry and not having a gun in my hand.

olore

Finished the main game a week ago. DLded the first episode
and couldn`t even get past the first encounter with the bad guys. Like the difficulty got buried rigth from the start. Some said above that the first episode is way action heavy and I can understand that if the begining is anything to base an opinion on

Top Bottom