• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai announces Inversion for Xbox 360, PS3

Jim

Seems kinda sorta familiar.

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES ANNOUNCES INVERSION FOR THE XBOX 360 AND PLAYSTATION 3 SYSTEM

Innovative Gravity Wielding Combat Revolutionizes Third-Person Shooter Genre

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (Oct. 20, 2009) – Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced INVERSION™ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Saber Interactive, INVERSION takes players on a whirlwind journey complete with nonstop firefights and a suspense-filled storyline. Packed to the brim with action, INVERSION also introduces revolutionary gravity-wielding combat, zero gravity environments, vector changes, and a unique destructible cover system. INVERSION is planned for release in 2010.

INVERSION is a third-person co-op shooter that combines hard-hitting, adrenaline-pumping action with a revolutionary gravity manipulation engine. Featuring the Grappler weapon, players will be able to manipulate gravity for their own purposes. The Grappler can be used in countless combat situations by maneuvering massive objects as shields or projectiles, and moving camped enemies out of concealed cover so they can be blasted away. The Grappler is also a key tool for tactical situations and puzzle solving as players can lift, move, or create cover objects at their whim. The awesome power of gravity is right at players’ fingertips. Additionally, INVERSION is one of the first games to feature Havok Destruction which bestows INVERSION with massively destructible environments including an elaborate cover system.

Set in the near future, the tranquil peace enjoyed by mankind shatters with an unforeseen invasion by an unknown enemy called the Lutadore. Armed to the teeth with futuristic gravity-controlling weapons, the Lutadore easily overrun the city’s defenses. Unbeknownst to all, mysterious anomalies have surfaced in conjunction with the invasion. Random regions in the city have entered zero gravity or have suffered vector changes, throwing the world into topsy-turvy chaos. Assuming the role of Davis Russel, a hotheaded 28-year-old cop, or Leo Delgado, Davis’ neighbor, players will embark on a journey through the disorienting war-ravaged, gravity twisted streets of their home town and beyond, to find Davis' missing child.

“INVERSION will turn the shooter genre upside down, literally,” said Todd Thorson, director of marketing and public relations, NAMCO BANDAI Games America. “Saber Interactive’s innovative gravity manipulation feature will blow away any preconceptions of what a contemporary shooter should be.”

“Working with NAMCO BANDAI Games on a project of this caliber is a complete thrill,” said Matthew Karch, CEO of Saber Interactive. “We are doing things in INVERSION that most people didn’t think possible on the current generation of consoles. We can’t wait to get INVERSION in the hands of gamers across the world.”

“We are delighted to see Havok Destruction incorporated as an important gameplay element in INVERSION,” said David O’Meara, Managing Director for Havok. “The talented team of developers and artists creating INVERSION has really embraced the Havok Destruction technology and we can’t wait to see the final results.”

7.jpg

This shot makes me laugh. What the hell is he doing?

Speevy

Banned
At some point developers are going to have to admit they're playing some sort of elaborate joke on us.

Gravity Wielding - Super/genetically-enhanced power.
zero gravity environments - Physics sandbox
cover system - ORLY?
co-op shooter - Ah, that's new.

Set in the near future, the tranquil peace enjoyed by mankind shatters with an unforeseen invasion by an unknown enemy called the Lutadore.

Post-apocalyptic world, aliens.

blow away any preconceptions of what a contemporary shooter should be.”

How? EVERY FREAKING GAME DOES ALL THESE THINGS.

Japan increasingly eager for a part of that western console pie as their home market shrinks and shrinks.

This looks like the very genesis of a market research group provided with copies of Uncharted, Bionic Commando and Infamous and the brainstorm of "what if we mixed all three..."

red shoe paul said:
My first impression. Shittier than shit.

And it's not JUST the textures.
Everything about that screen looks wrong.
From the bullet firing up when the gun is pointed down, to the out of place 2D trash floating around to the bad fire effects.

onken

Interesting to see Bamco branching out, but I hope it doesn't come at the cost of their more original titles.

Ha ha, its from the TimeShift people it seems.

2vs2iyf.jpg

I'd love to see game design documents from these games, where the games theyre aping have 20 page document detail, they get to just jot down bullet points like:

- set in Bionic Commando city
or
- main character looks like Master Chief/Haze character

:lol :lol

SecretBonusPoint said:
Japan increasingly eager for a part of that western console pie as their home market shrinks and shrinks.

This looks like the very genesis of a market research group provided with copies of Uncharted, Bionic Commando and Infamous and the brainstorm of "what if we mixed all three..."

Lol this is dead on balls accurate.

I don't see one original thing in any of these screens. Chris Redfield in Uncharted with elements of Bionic Commando and a Locust from Gears thrown in for good measure.

Even the title "Inversion" just screems generic as hell.

ShockingAlberto said:
2.jpg

It's too late to support the N64, Namco. That time is long over.

OK THEY ARE UNCHARTED GUYS one of whom looks exactly like Chris Redfield from RE WITH BACKPACKS FROM GEARS OF WAR and they are SHOOTING A LOCUST while in active cover ala Gears/RE/Uncharted.

For the love of god :lol :lol :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
And it's not JUST the textures.
Everything about that screen looks wrong.
From the bullet firing up when the gun is pointed down, to the out of place 2D trash floating around to the bad fire effects.
Um...Look closer. That shot is coming from the enemy.

From the Timeshift team. I kind of liked Timeshift. Overall it was just an alright FPS, but it had some ideas and details to it which I appreciated. So I'm not so quick to dismiss this game. With less bumps in the development process and a team with more experience I'm hopeful it could turn out pretty good.

Fess

SecretBonusPoint said:
So what? Naughty Dogs market research group provided with copies of Tomb Raider and Gears of War did quite okay I'd say.

Grecco

i guess they decided to mash every popular shooting game released the past couple of years (and some not so popular like Bionic comando)

Looks terribly generic. Maybe the main character is named Jet Brody?

V_Ben

Banned
Diablohead said:
To all the people saying this looks like a gears of uncharted evil war, you forget one thing.

Psy ops.

jeez. i'd forgotten all about that game. Psy Ops was pretty sweet :D

It's like they sat down to figure out how to make a game utterly average and forgettable in every way, destined for 7.0 review scores and the bargain bin two months after release.

Just like TimeShift.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SecretBonusPoint said:

Reminds me of that Gears of Wars clone by Tecmo. Can't wait for Konami's inevitable Call of Duty clone!

Haunted

That's amazingly creative. Fantastic character and world design. And did I get this right? You can hide behind cover while shooting your enemies? Brilliant! How the shit do they come up with awesome stuff like that. Wonder why no one ever thought of doing that before.

Dabanton said:
I wish more games were pre-apocalyptic.
Every game that's not post-apocalyptic is pre-apocalyptic.

:eek:

Top Bottom