• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai announces Inversion for Xbox 360, PS3

Arpharmd B said:
Whaaa?

Are we looking at the same pictures?
I believe the shitty textures remark was focusing on the rock-like object the guy is taking cover behind. The rest of the textures are pretty good for the most part IMO, and I just came off playing U2 as well.

Also, I'm pretty aware that there won't be very many games that look as good as U2, because that one was offloading a whole lot of shit to the SPUs.

beat

Haunted said:
That's amazingly creative. Fantastic character and world design. And did I get this right? You can hide behind cover while shooting your enemies? Brilliant! How the shit do they come up with awesome stuff like that. Wonder why no one ever thought of doing that before.

Every game that's not post-apocalyptic is pre-apocalyptic.

:eek:

"hide behind cover"?

Who developed and published Kill.Switch?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
bcn-ron said:
You need to play Timeshift sometime.
I really don't get you TimeShift fans who maintain the game is one of the most underrated games ever made.

Mr Jared

The year is 2137, and the world has been thrown into chaos. An ancient race of technologically advance aliens known only as the Birth Givers have invaded Earth, destroying civilization as we know it and leaving only waist-high rubble. Just when all hope was lost, a man who could wield this alien technology stood tall amongst all others. Now, having assembled the last soldiers of humanity, Butch Deadlift makes Earth's last stand.

Speevy

Banned
The year is 2457, and the world is in a state of upheaval. An alien race known only as the Swarming Locust Flood has invaded earth, and toppled the governments of every industrialized nation. However, in the darker corners of Congolese Republic, resistance still stirs, and it is there where you -- and the remnants of a broken human race -- make your last stand. You've discovered a weapon that could shatter the invading horde: but it could break the remnants of the human race in the process.

The year is 2137, and the world has been thrown into chaos. An ancient race of technologically advance aliens known only as the Birth Givers have invaded Earth, destroying civilization as we know it and leaving only waist-high rubble. Just when all hope was lost, a man who could wield this alien technology stood tall amongst all others. Now, having assembled the last soldiers of humanity, Butch Deadlift makes Earth's last stand.

The year is 2293, and you are part of a human colonization mission in the Rosette Nebula. Upon landing on a seemingly habitable planet, you discover the remains of an ancient, long dead civilization with amazingly powerful technology. As the archaelogists begin to dig up more of these artifacts, humanity celebrates the discoveries that could catapult them forward in to the future. But soon, the events that brought about the destruction of this powerful civilization will reveal themselves, and humanity may find the danger they've unleashed may destroy human civilization in the process.

The year is 2135, and the world is controlled by evil corporations. They genetically engineer soldiers to fight wars for profit, and the only way to survive is by becoming part of the great machine. And to make matters worse, this chaotic climate of violence has left the world vulnerable to a hostile alien invasion. You are Jason Steele, and you must lead a band of rebels to ultimate victory using only the ability to crush buildings with your mind. Join a friend on Xbox Live as you destroy this interactive sandbox world for no apparent reason. You can topple skyscrapers and use them as cover, or swing from them like Spider-man. The choice is yours.

You too can create a current generation game.

Loudninja

Mr Jared said:
:lol

Miburou

Well, considering Namco published Kill.Switch, I don't think it's fair to criticize this game for employing a cover system and being a rip-off of other publishers' games.

Inversion of the uncharted gears of war?

Miburou said:
Well, considering Namco published Kill.Switch, I don't think it's fair to criticize this game for employing a cover system and being a rip-off of other publishers' games.

true

-viper-

Banned
Miburou said:
The ORIGINAL third person cover shooter returns!

Hypereides

Gold Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
Ha ha, its from the TimeShift people it seems.

2vs2iyf.jpg

I'd love to see game design documents from these games, where the games theyre aping have 20 page document detail, they get to just jot down bullet points like:

- set in Bionic Commando city
or
- main character looks like Master Chief/Haze character

:lol :lol

Oh shit, I guess this one will take 10 years to develope aswell, because its going to be as awesome as Timeshift.

Ardorx

Banned
highluxury said:
Oh shit, I guess this one will take 10 years to develope aswell, because its going to be as awesome as Timeshift.

Are you trolling timeshift? Because that was a good game and all the delays were publisher related(thankfully sierra saved the game).

nexen

Ardorx said:
Are you trolling timeshift? Because that was a good game and all the delays were publisher related(thankfully sierra saved the game).
Damnit, I must have played the wrong Timeshift. The one I played was absolutely terrible.

This game looks a little on the bland side but I'll take bland over Timeshift's goofy aesthetic. Loved me some psy-ops soooo... I'm cautiously optimisitc here.

edit: also I'm a sucker for destruction and deformation.

Replicant

Just from those screenshots, the colors palette they chose for this game is atrocious. It's like they can't decide if they want the environment to be bleak or colorful and ended up settling for monotone instead.

I hope we'll get to see more screenshots but I'm not impressed with what they've shown so far.

neojubei said:
Everyone in the game will have half tucked shirts.

:O

That settles it, this game > Uncharted. :D

highluxury said:
Really? Looks like street sign surfing to me.

Looks more like that gravity weapon he used is being applied on a massive scale, thus causing the entire city to become trapped in a giant gravity field where everything is floaty.

I'm open to the small chance that this game might not entirely suck.:lol

neojubei said:
Does that other guy have a half-tucked shirt?
Oh shit. :lol

Even though I'm somewhat of a proponent of this game and think people are being too quick to prejudge, I must admit that it is crazy how many games you can find this to have been inspired by in some, reasonably tangible, manner.

Timeshift was fuck awesome. Still technically impressive and was a very fun and satisfying game. I don't care if this game's design doc is photocopied from 10 other games, if the thing is fun and if they are using their own tech like last time it is going to be fucking cool.

Most people don't like Timeshift because it wasn't called Halo, Killzone, Half-Life, Bioshock, Call of Duty, or some other marquee title, not because of the quality of the actual game.

CamHostage

There's a large preview of Inversion in the latest issue of OPM (US) and it actually sounds sort of awesome, like Psi-Ops but without lawsuits and bad Midway handling dooming the franchise, and with cool gravity-shifting powers that sort of make it a 3D Metal Storm. It explains some of what's going on in the screens (those shitty-looking blobs in the last screen are not bad explosion effects but actually water droplets being controlled by the player and you can use them to put out fires in your way.) There are sections where whole buildings get jacked by gravity effects and it's just a massive wreck. Apparently there are gravity bubbles (sort of like the time bubbles in Timeshift) where things just go psycho, sometimes you're floating in air and having to shoot your gun like a retrorocket to propel you in space and other times you're standing on the wall of a building while everything you're fighting is set on the floor. It all sounds pretty experimental and gimmicky like the last game from Saber, but having liked their last game and being somebody who likes those who take chances, I'm in so far. Hopefully we'll see the game in motion soon and it'll impress more than the screens.

Top Bottom