• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.
GiantBomb did a quick look of the new Naruto game, and Alex kept asking what Zetsu's deal was, why he was a weird venus fly trap man.

Thinking about it made me realize just how weird original black/white Zetsu is after all the war reveals/retcons.

No one acknowledged or asked what Zetsu even is for the longest damn time.

You're not alone, and I think Sakura will come to sooner than we think. I think it's clear she's rooting for Naruto if she has to pick a side, but for once, I would like to fucking see it. By that I mean I want her to actually want Naruto to beat Sasuke. It'd be a nice change from the past where she was either on Sasuke's side (very early on in Part I) or couldn't decide.

Sasuke has turned heel and he's the aggressor in this. I'll only lose more respect for her if Kishimoto doesn't have her definitively support Naruto.
just bugs me so much how she's always MIA during naruto's big moments but everyone else is always there. I mean not all but most of the great stuff.

Frog-fu

Banned
Been rereading the manga once again, and I think 682 has to be one of my favourite chapters of all time, simply by virtue of Naruto using perverted ninjutsu against a god... with notable success. Initial reaction was much like the characters of "goddamn it, Naruto" and then "holy shit it worked." I really missed the outrageous element to Naruto's misdirection and unpredictable fighting style. It also reminded me of when he used 1000 Years of Pain against Gaara, using a kunai and a explosive tag, and actually being successful.

I could have sworn Tobirama mentioned that Minato's FTG was better than his.

He said his Body Flicker was superior. Body Flicker is a general jutsu, virtually every shinobi is capable of it, but some are especially skilled at it, e.g. Minato, Tobirama, Shisui, A, Third Raikage, Sasuke, Itachi and Naruto.

just bugs me so much how she's always MIA during naruto's big moments but everyone else is always there. I mean not all but most of the great stuff.

masashi-kishimoto-books-and-stories-and-written-works-u2.jpg

No one acknowledged or asked what Zetsu even is for the longest damn time.

I remember reading an old theory on how Zetsu was related to the Hyuuga, or how he had the Byakugan. When Team Gai was tracking Sasori and Deidara, Zetsu zoomed in with his eyes, and his eye pupils are white like the Hyuuga. This was in chapter 255.

Incidentally, Zetsu ended up being related to Kaguya, which means his doujutsu could be the Byakugan, or some mutation of it.

zetsu_neji.PNG

TL;DR
Naruto has actually had a better life than Sasuke, and thus in a way validates how shitty Sasuke's life is. Sasuke wanting to kill the five Kage is insane...but he's been kind of led to this point. Can Kishimoto write something that's not an asspull with the situation he's created?

At this point, Sasuke and Naruto have had completely different experiences with the Kage, and the world, in general. Note that aside from the exclusion for being a Jinchuuriki, Naruto has had it pretty good. Just try listing all the adults that Naruto was able to benefit from. People went out of their way for him, at times. Sasuke didn't get the same treatment. Kakashi did try in his own way, but failed. Whereas Orochimaru offered him power; which translated into justice against Itachi at the time.
Justice works in two ways: punish the criminal and rehabilitate the victim. Neither of these things happened. Itachi was in self-imposed exile as a cover-up for a failed coup d'etat. Sasuke didn't have an Iruka-like figure bending over backwards to give him any form of social support. His going insane to obtain justice by his own means is the inevitable third option in such a heartless world.

His conversation with the four Hokage really only served to further prove how unreasonable the current world is. The stories that they had to tell were complete bullshit, with the Second being the only exception.
The First was only good at fighting. And in his time, there was only violence. As revolutionary as he was for establishing the village system, his final fight with Madara proved he was as susceptible to the cycle of violence as anyone else.
The Third failed to prevent a genocide. What's worse (yes, worse than a genocide) is that he let Danzo have political and military power. If Hashirama proved that leaders can be fallible, then Sarutobi proved leaders can utterly fail.
The Fourth had no political achievements. Notably, he did nothing for the Uchiha.
The Second was the only person that was upfront and said, "Look, your people had a potential to cause trouble, but I gave them the opportunity to help, instead."

By the time all the talking was done, what was made clear is that: the world is fucked up, which fucks people up, who then fuck up the world; therefore cycle of violence, therefore pain, etc. Sasuke, by surviving the massacre and by having this conversation, is far more intimately involved with the reality and suffering of the ninja world. In contrast, Naruto was removed from the circumstances that traumatized people like Tsunade, Kakashi, Obito, Madara, Neji, Gaara, etc. He's a compassionate observer, but ultimately did not know what it's like to have gone through this kind of loss.

So why is Naruto having a better life than Sasuke important? Because I feel like Kishimoto's written himself into an awkward situation where he has to resolve Naruto's and Sasuke's characters, their relationships to each other, AND how either of them will approach saving the world. The problem is, he's led us to believe that Sasuke is an irredeemable psychopath, and Naruto's only real answer is, "I won't give up." It'll be hard to say whether the new chapter is going to be able to deal with all the baggage left in the air.

Pein

Banned
We can all agree Tobirama is a boss but Kishimoto did Sarutobi dirty. Yeah he can use all elements but its not even a named tech. It would have been cool to see him mixing elements.

When testing Juubito's abilities Tobirama uses a bomb thats bigger than a boss summon and Hiruzen uses a bigger clone shuriken tech. They weren't even chakra infused.

360pages

God damn this was beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fhckVzHCc

As the point of Sauske, it's not the fact that he's angry over the loss of his family but more the fact he constantly takes it out on the wrong people. What will killing the kage accomplish? Have everyone hate him and want to kill him?

No one is going to accept him as Hokage over say, Naruto or anyone else. Itachi said it the best. You don't become Hokage to be respected, but rather you earn respect to reach that goal. Garra had a huge shitty ass life, even worse than Sauske, but he made an effort to change.

Sauske made no such effort, he never uses the knowledge that other give him to better himself or the situation. He's just hateful all the time, though I guess that's due to writing though

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gaara is Naruto's best friend.

Gaara, Lee, Shik, and Hinata are the only ones who cared about Naruto early on. Fuck everyone else.

Does staring only from a distance stalker-style and not actually doing anything while Naruto was mocked and getting emo due to loneliness really counts as "cared about him"?

Sai

Does staring only from a distance stalker-style and not actually doing anything while Naruto was mocked and getting emo due to loneliness really counts as "cared about him"?
None of them did anything. At least she had an excuse beyond mere peer pressure that inhibited not just her concerns for Naruto, but her family situation as well.

Why even call her out specifically for that? More shipping nonsense?

None of them did anything. At least she had an excuse beyond mere peer pressure that inhibited not just her concerns for Naruto, but her family situation as well.

Don't even try and pretend the Naruto fandom doesn't try and make Hinata out to be far more important than she is in reality.

Were it not for her crush on Naruto, I highly HIGHLY doubt she'd be even halfway as close as popular as she is.

Pein

Banned
Don't even try and pretend the Naruto fandom doesn't try and make Hinata out to be far more important than she is in reality.

Were it not for her crush on Naruto, I highly HIGHLY doubt she'd be even halfway as close as popular as she is.

no shit, whats her appeal otherwise? she only just matched genin neji and big boobs. Hinata should have died not Neji.

That way it clears up the way for narusaku and gives Hanabi the chance to be heir to the Hyuuga and I dunno give resolve to Neji to up his game or something.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ugh..Sakura...your really killing me here. I have no longer the will to defend you, but you still humiliate yourself even so, and to what end? Its no wonder Kishimoto gets charges of sexism, he literally can't help it.

Sai

All you're doing to mitigate that is working on the opposite extreme. Those of you trying to say she doesn't actually care, or spinning her attempt to save Naruto from Pain into this terrible, selfish act look just as silly as those trying to delude themselves into thinking she's more important than she actually is.

All you're doing to mitigate that is working on the opposite extreme. Those of you trying to say she doesn't actually care, or spinning her attempt to save Naruto from Pain into this terrible, selfish act look just as silly as those trying to elevate her position to more than it actually is.
Hinatas the only character I really care about anymore and even I know shes not that important to the story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Because I just find it funny that she's put above so many other characters in terms of affecting Naruto's childhood era. Above Sakura, above Kakashi, above Sasuke. Heck, not even Iruka was mentioned in that post. "Fuck everyone else", and he put Hinata in there, really?

And why did you seem pissed off? More shipping nonsense as well?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Naruto has Iruka, Shikamaru, Choji, and Kiba as buddies in part one, we just only learn about the other three who aren't Iruka as the story unfolds.

Sasuke has seemingly got no one, which is a shame. Who raised him, revengenance? It's kind of a shame but he's had plenty of chances to get his head on straight lately but just won't see reason. No shit things have to change but now that all the unreasonable people pulling strings behind the scenes are done with they should be able to, you know, talk this shit out with going through with this revolution.

Sai

Because I just find it funny that she's put above so many other characters in terms of affecting Naruto's childhood era. Above Sakura, above Kakashi, above Sasuke. Heck, not even Iruka was mentioned in that post. "Fuck everyone else", and he put Hinata in there, really?

And why did you seem pissed off? More shipping nonsense as well?
Not pissed, just found it weird that she was being singled out for not lifting a finger to help him. The mention of Shikamaru in the same vein put me in the mind of their Academy days, for some reason.

Of course, I don't agree with the post you were replying to either.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Naruto has Iruka, Shikamaru, Choji, and Kiba as buddies in part one, we just only learn about the other three who aren't Iruka as the story unfolds.

Sasuke has seemingly got no one, which is a shame. Who raised him, revengenance? It's kind of a shame but he's had plenty of chances to get his head on straight lately but just won't see reason. No shit things have to change but now that all the unreasonable people pulling strings behind the scenes are done with they should be able to, you know, talk this shit out with going through with this revolution.

Sasuke has everyone, but the fact remained that he chose a path that made him away from people that might have helped him.

In normal world, stuff like "he's not really a bad person" wouldn't fly for all the stuff that he has done, but eh... I just don't see an ending where he's not converted by Naruto into the lands of sunshine and rainbows in the end. Hopefully not, though.

Not pissed, just found it weird that she was being singled out for not lifting a finger to help him.

Of course, I don't agree with the post you were replying to either.

I singled her out because at least Gaara and Shikamaru and even Lee has more clout, considerably even perhaps, in Naruto's childhood than Hinata, and her inclusion was typical blind Hinata fan's action who often elevated her to importance way beyond her actual role in the manga, which annoyed me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sasuke has everyone, but the fact remained that he chose a path that made him away from people that might have helped him.

In normal world, stuff like "he's not really a bad person" wouldn't fly for all the stuff that he has done, but eh... I just don't see an ending where he's not converted by Naruto into the lands of sunshine and rainbows in the end. Hopefully not, though.

I singled her out because at least Gaara and Shikamaru and even Lee has more clout, considerably even perhaps, in Naruto's childhood than Hinata, and her inclusion was typical blind Hinata fan's action who often elevated her to importance way beyond her actual role in the manga, which annoyed me.

Basically. Sasuke is walling himself in and needs a therapist.

Also while the fanbase might love Hinata's creepy stalking ways Naruto doesn't even remember she exists half the time in part one, that's the damn joke. He bonds immediately with Lee though with him being on team hard work.

TL:DR Sasuke needed therapy and Hinata is a beloved JOKE character beyond her use in setting up the Neji/Naruto fight.

All you're doing to mitigate that is working on the opposite extreme. Those of you trying to say she doesn't actually care, or spinning her attempt to save Naruto from Pain into this terrible, selfish act look just as silly as those trying to delude themselves into thinking she's more important than she actually is.

This always bothered me. Yes, maybe she could have tried to at least attack the rods (like she did in the anime!), but otherwise it was not an inherently bad moment. If Kishi wanted to portray it like that, he would have (I guess :p). This was supposed to her huge moment. A heroic, noble act.

Then again this is coming from the same guy who wants to sell Sakura's love for Sasuke as something positive.

Bu-bu-but Hinata has BEWBS!!!!11

Oh come one.... some of you people always try to us this as some type of point

Look how modest looking Saukra is compared to Hinata with her big chest.... PEOPLE WHERE FANS OF HINATA PRE TIMESKIP

Sure she looks more pretty now but that doesn't devolve her character it is instead a bonus if you get both mental and physical

It just shows how deranged some of you guys are.... Sakura has some terrible addiction for Sasuke and doesn't have as much as a longing for Naruto but instead you guys just live off of some fan-fiction of how you'd make her story better if Kishi didn't write it and how bad Hintata might be if you guys wrote it

Get of of your own bloody minds and see reality it is written that way so it is that way

Oh come one.... some of you people always try to us this as some type of point

Look how modest looking Saukra is compared to Hinata with her big chest.... PEOPLE WHERE FANS OF HINATA PRE TIMESKIP

Sure she looks more pretty now but that doesn't devolve her character it is instead a bonus if you get both mental and physical

It just shows how deranged some of you guys are.... Sakura has some terrible addiction for Sasuke and doesn't have as much as a longing for Naruto but instead you guys just live off of some fan-fiction of how you'd make her story better if Kishi didn't write it and how bad Hintata might be if you guys wrote it

Get of of your own bloody minds and see reality it is written that way so it is that way

Now you're arguing a straw man.

No one and I mean NO ONE said that Sakura doesn't have some terrible flaws, which are mainly because of Kishi's godawful writing.

But the fact of the matter is, even on her worst day, Sakura at the very least still has a personality and traits beyond merely Sasuke.

With Hinata it's just "Naruto-kun!" hopping on his dick 24/7, with no substance or reason. That's LITERALLY all there is to her character.

I couldn't give less of a shit if someone doesn't personally like Sakura, as there are very VERY legitimate reasons for anyone to not like any character, but to try and pretend Hinata is more important than she is in reality, try to make her some kind of love martyr who "deserves" Naruto, or whatever bullshit you try to add on to her character is a huge fucking pet peeve of mind.

LNBL

GiantBomb did a quick look of the new Naruto game, and Alex kept asking what Zetsu's deal was, why he was a weird venus fly trap man.

Thinking about it made me realize just how weird original black/white Zetsu is after all the war reveals/retcons.

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Hinata doesn't "hop on his D" for no reason. I'm pretty sure all her feelings for him have to do with the type of person he is and how he inspires her and whatnot.

Come on she tries to train in order to gain recognition in her clan

She works well with her team and tries to help out Kiba and Shino when they need it

She has a life outside of Naruto.... She only loved Naruto due to his character of not giving up and then tried to apply it to her life as well

Her character (not in power scaling) has progressed throughout the series compared to Sakura character that is moving around like a roller-coaster with high points and low points

She had a shy personality and barely talked in the past..... she didn't stalk Naruto but if she did see him would hide away instead of engaging him..... WHICH is not the case anymore after Neji died

She gained progress from the Chunin Exam, from the Pain Arc, from the War Arc, etc....
Her character at least was constantly moving upward

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Basically. Sasuke is walling himself in and needs a therapist.

Also while the fanbase might love Hinata's creepy stalking ways Naruto doesn't even remember she exists half the time in part one, that's the damn joke. He bonds immediately with Lee though with him being on team hard work.

TL:DR Sasuke needed therapy and Hinata is a beloved JOKE character beyond her use in setting up the Neji/Naruto fight.

It's exactly her use in setting up the Neji and Naruto fight that made her popular, though.

Naruto was always being loud and cheering on someone during the chunin exam 1-on-1s, but none more than Hinata - and he was fucking PISSED at the end of that battle -far more than the Rock Lee/Gaara battle. More than anyone else at that point in the story, Naruto saw himself in Hinata, and Hinata saw herself in Naruto and strived to take after his example.

She may have been introduced as a comically-shy/lovesick character combo, but it was apparent early on that there was an unspoken emotional bond, and a level of mutual admiration and understanding between her and Naruto even though they hardly ever interacted. There isn't any other pair of opposite-gender characters that has that.

360pages

Honestly none of the female characters in Naruto really did anything to match Naruto or Sauske when it came to shipping. Hell, Karin helped and did more for Sauske than Sakura ever did and she's often treated as a huge joke. Let that sink in, Karin did more for Sauske than Sakura, and unlike Sakura at least Karin doesn't waver 90% if she should kill/love him.

(Karin isn't a good character whatsoever, she's pretty crappy after all)

There is no reason for any of this, the romance in the series is so awful.

I also don't think Kishi is sexist, a lot of sidlining that happens to the females happen to the male characters as well. At least Sakura gets screen time after her arc. Remember Sai? Remember how Neji just vanished just to die later.

We have females like Tsunade and Ino, who despite their flaws still work hard and get things accomplished even if they are both weaker than Sakura I think both had better development.

Kishi isn't Sexist...he just is shit tier when developing his characters.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Honestly none of the female characters in Naruto really did anything to match Naruto or Sauske when it came to shipping. Hell, Karin helped and did more for Sauske than Sakura ever did and she's often treated as a huge joke. Let that sink in, Karin did more for Sauske than Sakura, and unlike Sakura at least Karin doesn't waver 90% if she should kill/love him.

(Karin isn't a good character whatsoever, she's pretty crappy after all)

There is no reason for any of this, the romance in the series is so awful.

I also don't think Kishi is sexist, a lot of sidlining that happens to the females happen to the male characters as well. At least Sakura gets screen time after her arc. Remember Sai? Remember how Neji just vanished just to die later.

We have females like Tsunade and Ino, who despite their flaws still work hard and get things accomplished even if they are both weaker than Sakura I think both had better development.

Kishi isn't Sexist...he just is shit tier when developing his characters.

Oh no, he's quite sexist. Shikamaru is meant to be his avatar and he's incredibly sexist.

But he also sucks at character development and world building.

Kishimoto's world building has dropped over the years...

We now know everywhere/everything there is to know mostly and in particularly in this arc we barely got to see new multiple places... Pacing was weird too since we are getting back to back battles yet they seem to drag too long...

Back in the day readers where interested in the series due to not knowing a majority of this

Akatsuki mysteries... Tailed Beast mysteries... Power Mysteries... Unknown lands etc....

Instead of having us go through this back to back action that we are currently getting, with no rests, Kishimoto should've gave some breathing space in between where people prep, some people train, etc...

The only highlights in this war for me was seeing neverbefore seen Justus

That is why Gai's battle was so cool

Frog-fu

Banned
OK, so the Viz translations potentially make Sakura look better.
tumblr_inline_ncoe7i7qgB1sz9pj5.png

Kakashi's words are consistent with his thoughts in 675, that Sakura still had feelings for Sasuke but that they had changed. I don't think it's coincidence it's come up again, so provided that Sakura isn't still hoping to have a happy ever after and simply still loves him in the way she loves Naruto and Kakashi, then she should get the same pass Naruto got on his obsession with Sasuke.

Of course this is still mostly wishful thinking and Kishimoto is a ratbastard regardless.

OK, so the Viz translations potentially make Sakura look better.
tumblr_inline_ncoe7i7qgB1sz9pj5.png

Kakashi's words are consistent with his thoughts in 675, that Sakura still had feelings for Sasuke but that they had changed. I don't think it's coincidence it's come up again, so provided that Sakura isn't still hoping to have a happy ever after and simply still loves him in the way she loves Naruto and Kakashi, then she should get the same pass Naruto got on his obsession with Sasuke.

Of course this is still mostly wishful thinking and Kishimoto is a ratbastard regardless.
That actually really changes things. Really throws into question how much debate and confusion could be avoided if things were translated correctly...

Frog-fu

Banned
That actually really changes things. Really throws into question how much debate and confusion could be avoided if things were translated correctly...

Yeah, it doesn't make her look quite as bad. I don't know where MS got lines like "all she wants to be is yours" from. They've gotten more and more sloppy over the years and take liberties when they really shouldn't. Viz > MP > MS in terms of quality of translation, with Viz being the most official release.

I actually have a little more hope now that Sakura might get off the crazy train.

So Viz translates the latest chapter every week? I was under the impression they only released volumes. How much later does it come than the fanlations? I'd be up to subscribe to Shonen Jump until the manga wraps up just for the accuracy alone.

Khezu

Kishi kept saying there were differences between Tobimaru and Minato's FTG, but he never really showed any of those difference.

They both did exactly the same shit at the same speed.
The only difference was how the seal looked.

Sai

He said it was faster. Tobirama's is more versatile though, I find it better.
While the terms have been used interchangeably, which has only added to the confusion, Tobirama was referring to Minato's Shunshin being faster, not Hiraishin.

Kishi kept saying there were differences between Tobimaru and Minato's FTG, but he never really showed any of those difference.

They both did exactly the same shit at the same speed.
The only difference was how the seal looked.
Unless you're referring to the above misconception, no differences have been made between their use of Hiraishin. Many presume Minato's better with it due to the way he incorporates the technique's jutsu shiki with his ningu, but Tobirama has been seen doing the same with only a few.

Frog-fu

Banned
Y'all mistaking FTG and Body Flicker.

Tobirama and Minato use the same identical jutsu with FTG.

Minato is better at Body Flicker.

I want to see Sakura's speech with the Viz translation as well.

She still says she loves him, but it is decidedly less inflammatory imo. It certainly isn't as heavy as MS' translations, and Kakashi clarifies on what she meant when she's passed out. Sasuke is also a bit more cruel towards her in the official translation.
Code:
open images in new tab to read more clearly
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EtReO1n.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CrmutSh.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Lxtmb8c.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FDJbRZJ.png[/IMG]

That's all the scans I'll post since I wouldn't want to get banned for uploading an entire chapter to the thread, even if it doesn't have watermarks.

I-hate-u

"I have no reason to like her, nor does she have any reason to like me". I hate the Sauce, but true-er words were never spoken in the manga.

Also, from a shinobi point of view, even though she failed, Sakura did contemplate and attempt to kill Sasuke.

Thanks for the panels. Yeah she still says she loves him but it could be the same way I'm sure she loves Kakashi and naruto. But naruto's gave in the panel there is one of a kid whose heart just sunk for the millionth time lol.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Kishimoto's world building has dropped over the years...

We now know everywhere/everything there is to know mostly and in particularly in this arc we barely got to see new multiple places... Pacing was weird too since we are getting back to back battles yet they seem to drag too long...

Back in the day readers where interested in the series due to not knowing a majority of this

Akatsuki mysteries... Tailed Beast mysteries... Power Mysteries... Unknown lands etc....

Instead of having us go through this back to back action that we are currently getting, with no rests, Kishimoto should've gave some breathing space in between where people prep, some people train, etc...

The only highlights in this war for me was seeing neverbefore seen Justus

That is why Gai's battle was so cool

There should have been a break in war after the Obito vs Naruto battle. Maybe him retreating after having his mask broken or something but without him jump starting the Juubi revival... The ninja alliance had finished their battles by that point anyway.

Maddocks

reading what frog posted, sasuke gets more respect from me. He point blank says she has no reason to like me and I have no reason to like her. Finally someone using common sense, why would she like him? he has treated her like nothing for practically the whole manga and yet she likes him/loves him and hes all,"the hell for?"

Now more then ever I believe that if sakura didn't take off her vest, he would have used her to transfer over and left her out to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom