• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Teknoman said:
I blame the tsunami for killing my car battery :lol

Seriously, the battery was only a year old and my car was completely dead this morning.

i blame 90% of what goes wrong with my life on Solar Flares.

"must be a solar flare"

the other 10% is a full moon.

Teknoman

Im in Texas, just messing around about the battery, was just kind of funny that it went completely dead after something like this happened.

As for exact coordinates, I guess 29°45′46″N 95°22′59″W

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
MetalAlien said:
Question for you Hito. I've googled the crap out of this and can't find anything.

In Oxygen rich stars, has anyone ever figured out how much energy is added to the stars from chemical combustion? Those stars must have enough Oxygen to equal 1000s of earth masses. That's a lot of O2 and a lot of hydrogen being heated together.

Just a random thought for the day.
I'm not prepared to give you a good answer, but if it's all pure plasma then all electrons should be free roaming.

MetalAlien

Banned
Hitokage said:
I'm not prepared to give you a good answer, but if it's all pure plasma then all electrons should be free roaming.

So you don't think conventional combustion would even be possible? There's another question I've never asked. Can ionized elements chemically react? I guess one question would answer the other. :)

MetalAlien said:
Question for you Hito. I've googled the crap out of this and can't find anything.

In Oxygen rich stars, has anyone ever figured out how much energy is added to the stars from chemical combustion? Those stars must have enough Oxygen to equal 1000s of earth masses. That's a lot of O2 and a lot of hydrogen being heated together.

Just a random thought for the day.

I'm more chemistry than physics but i'd guess even in a "oxygen rich" stars, there'd be so much more hydrogen anyway it wouldnt really make a difference. (oxygen rich = 2-3%??)

even so, There is so much energy that as soon as the hydrogen and oxygen combust, the reactants would break apart and react again. The amount of energy given off by just the molecules breaking apart would make the energy given off by combustion insignificant.

MetalAlien

Banned
BlackSalad said:
I'm more chemistry than physics but i'd guess even in a "oxygen rich" stars, there'd be so much more hydrogen anyway it wouldnt really make a difference. (oxygen rich = 2-3%??)

even so, There is so much energy that as soon as the hydrogen and oxygen combust, the reactants would break apart and react again. The amount of energy given off by just the molecules breaking apart would make the energy given off by combustion insignificant.

Well the thing is some stars get set up in layers like an onion. So there would be a whole layer with mostly oxygen with two other elements above and below it. That is what got me thinking. All that oxygen in one layer.

Cyport

wwm0nkey said:

I just took a look at this site, what on earth are they talking about!
One picture shows a spideman cover with a man and woman 'tom boy' kissing and they assumed it was gay. There was even a warning before showing the picture.

"Warning: The following image is gay comicbook Marvel Spiderman agenda. Demand your wife and children leave the room before reviewing then pray for the souls of children/comic book nerds who are falling under this images subliminal influence."

:lol

Anyway in UK here and didn't see any Northen Lights, south of England so probably too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom