• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pimpwerx said:
What happens to the people on the ISS? PEACE.
xqdg1d.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BobTheFork said:
I just woke up, are we dead yet; the way I live I can't tell. I'm half expecting langoliers to swoop in any second.
God decided it wasn't worth the effort to kill us today.

Harpuia

I told my brother about this, and he's disappointed that there weren't airplanes dropping out of the sky and electronics malfunctioning. :lol

eso76

StopMakingSense said:
EE means EVERYONE ELSE

i LITERALLY JUST JUST JUST finished watching this (lame) movie on tv, came to neogaf and read about the sun flare hitting the earth today. Scary.

now please excuse me while i gather my stuff and sit in the garden waiting for 'them' to come and pick me up.

NotWii

Banned
OH SHIT, THIS IS IT, GET UNDER THE BED NOW!
GEOMAGNETIC STORM--MORE TO COME? The solar storm of August 1st sent two CMEs toward Earth. The first one arrived yesterday, August 3rd, sparking mild but beautiful Northern Lights over Europe and North America (see below). The second CME is still en route. NOAA forecasters estimate a 35% chance of major geomagnetic storms when the cloud arrives on August 4th or 5th. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras.
http://spaceweather.com/

Meadows

Banned
OH FUCK, SCIENTISTS SAID A LOAD OF LONG WORDS THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND, BUT THIS DUDE ON 4CHAN TOLD ME IT MEANT WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!11!!!1

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The advanced warning for these events is impressive.
Very good news for when such events happen that could kill satilites in space, or even worse, technology on the ground.

EvilMario said:
Apparently we could see some northern lights in Toronto, or at least around the GTA. Should be exciting, given that we can't even see the stars until two hours outside the city. :lol

Shit. I missed this? Did anyone see anything last night in Toronto?

Cohsae

Apparently Dr. Who has changed quite a bit since the last time I watched it.
Back on topic: OH FUCK SPACE WEATHER Hold on to your butts etc.

Garcia

wwm0nkey said:

OMG :lol :lol. Seriously, christians' fixation with us homos is pure lulz. WTF?

On topic: This is just the first coronal mass ejection of the season right? I read how this might be a particularly intense active season for the sun since it's been behaving quite erraticly.

NotWii

Banned
Garcia said:
OMG :lol :lol. Seriously, christians' fixation with us homos is pure lulz. WTF?

On topic: This is just the first coronal mass ejection of the season right? I read how this might be a particularly intense active season for the sun since it's been behaving quite erraticly.
Nah, there's been a few this year already, at least one or two were ejected towards Earth.
You're right though, there's been some interesting behavior for this solar cycle.
Giant magnetic filaments lasting for weeks (usually they're small and only last a few hours) collapsing and causing giant solar flares.

OH MY GOD!

I can see them!

theres like greeny light coming from behind the clouds.

(i'll try and get a pic but all i have is my phone and its not to great in the dark.)

sinxtanx

Subliminal said:
OH MY GOD!

I can see them!

(i'll try and get a pic but all i have is my phone and its not to great in the dark.)
Where are you?

Reno7728

Subliminal said:
OH MY GOD!

I can see them!

Arn't you in the UK?

MMaRsu

industrian said:
I loved this film so much when I was a kid.

"Maximum Overdrive" if anyone's curious.

I was so scared but also interested the first time I saw it.. A little 8 year old :p

AirBrian

The_Inquisitor said:
Any chance to see this from Texas?
I looked for them last night (Dallas area), but didn't see much. This was around midnight. I'll be checking again tonight though as the odds are better this far south.

Cohsae

Fantastic pics, I've always really wanted to see the Northern Lights in real life.
Would be incredible to see them in 2013 or whenever it is that the sun is meant to go all out.

MetalAlien

Banned
Hitokage said:
The actual threat to biology from these events isn't a big concern, by the way. Even in the case of a magnetic pole reversal, there aren't any mass extinctions that coincide with them.

Question for you Hito. I've googled the crap out of this and can't find anything.

In Oxygen rich stars, has anyone ever figured out how much energy is added to the stars from chemical combustion? Those stars must have enough Oxygen to equal 1000s of earth masses. That's a lot of O2 and a lot of hydrogen being heated together.

Just a random thought for the day.

Teknoman

I blame the tsunami for killing my car battery :lol

Seriously, the battery was only a year old and my car was completely dead this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom