• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Every time I scroll by this thread I read it as 'Nazi scientists something something' and get my hopes up that Nazi scientists have finally come out of their base in Antarctica to show the world their UFOs and amazing technology :(
raiders_of_the_lost_ark_2.gif

NotWii

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsIA_lNjoZQ
Solar doom is so pretty :D

Combichristoffersen said:
Every time I scroll by this thread I read it as 'Nazi scientists something something' and get my hopes up that Nazi scientists have finally come out of their base in Antarctica to show the world their UFOs and amazing technology :(
Heh, funny you should mention that.
Ever heard of Operation Paperclip?
NASA was literally founded by Nazi scientists!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Apparently we could see some northern lights in Toronto, or at least around the GTA. Should be exciting, given that we can't even see the stars until two hours outside the city. :lol

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Daily Telegraph disclosed in June that senior space agency scientists believed the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.

:lol they are making it sound like an Eldritch abomination.

hermit7

Why would it take so long to reach earth? Sun takes about 8 minutes to reach earth, so shouldn't the radiation take about that long as well?

Teknoman

Im guessing nothing will happen, since i'd like to think there would be more in depth reports about it, if we were in any real trouble.

blahness

hermit7 said:
Why would it take so long to reach earth? Sun takes about 8 minutes to reach earth, so shouldn't the radiation take about that long as well?

unless the plasma can go the speed of light, it will take longer than 8 mins

xbhaskarx

If the world is going to end, I would actually prefer that it happen today, because I don't want my birthday to be uneventful.

Blablurn said:
see you on the other side.

Might be the best quote of all time. I wonder what the origin of this phrase is. Probably on some Viking battlefield a thousand years ago, before the berserks ravaged the churches in the Pegan name!!!1111

theinfinityissue said:
NASA failes at armageddon, succeeds at coming up with a badass band name, more at 11.

hey they have to prove they are a part of the US national defense somehow. Government is dropping their funding.

Teknoman

Every time something remotely cool happens in the sky, its cloudy in Texas. Then again we're probably too far south to see anything anyway.

Teknoman

So if we are located in a place that can see the aurora (something called a solar tsunami should cover a fairly large area right?), how long would it last? 30 minutes - 1 hour, or even longer than that?

EDIT: Didnt know there were two:

Spaceweather.com -
CME IMPACT! The first of possibly two incoming CMEs hit Earth's magnetic field today at approximately 1730 UT (1:30 pm EDT). As a result of the impact, a polar geomagnetic storm is brewing. High-lattitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras after nightfall.

panda21

Teknoman said:
So if we are located in a place that can see the aurora (something called a solar tsunami should cover a fairly large area right?), how long would it last? 30 minutes - 1 hour, or even longer than that?

EDIT: Didnt know there were two:

Spaceweather.com -
CME IMPACT! The first of possibly two incoming CMEs hit Earth's magnetic field today at approximately 1730 UT (1:30 pm EDT). As a result of the impact, a polar geomagnetic storm is brewing. High-lattitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras after nightfall.

so its happening in like 40 minutes? cool

maybe we will all die or something

Snipes424

Teknoman said:
Every time something remotely cool happens in the sky, its cloudy in Texas. Then again we're probably too far south to see anything anyway.

It's pretty clear here in North Texas, but I don't see any cool lights :(. But today is probably one of the hottest days I've ever felt, coincidence? lol

jonremedy

Clear weather here in Oslo, Norway. Anyone anywhere reported seeing something yet?

EDIT: Just wanted to tell a story. When I was a kid whenever we would see northern lights, my mother used to tell me that if you whistled it would dance for you.

UPDATE: Northern Lights are being sighted now in Europe. Jesper Grønne sends this picture from Denmark (latitude +56 degrees):

Jesper-GrAcnne1_strip.jpg

Wow, i might be able to see something!

Right now i see orange glow because of the streetlights. 60 miles away in London :lol

Ronok

I don't know if anything can even be seen from England, but typically it's cloudy right now in London so I couldn't see shit regardless.... >.>

necron99

Subliminal said:
UPDATE: Northern Lights are being sighted now in Europe. Jesper Grønne sends this picture from Denmark (latitude +56 degrees):

Jesper-GrAcnne1_strip.jpg

Holy shit, Im at like 47degrees. I'm going to have to take a drive tonight and get away from the city lights. I hope it stays for going for at least another 5 hours... damn late summer sun!!

Edit*Nevermind, I'm a latitude laymen, and just realized that ten degree difference isn't in my favor of seeing the lights. Still Heres to being hopeful. I've never seen them before, except for a hallucination once on mushrooms when I lived in Hawaii. It doesn't really count, but was pretty damn cool anyways

Yeah, for London/South England GAF, We're at 54 degrees latitude (ish) So we probably will be able to see something, But London Gaf will definately have to drive out (Maybe go out north?)

Ronok

Subliminal said:
Yeah, for London/South England GAF, We're at 54 degrees latitude (ish) So we probably will be able to see something, But London Gaf will definately have to drive out (Maybe go out north?)

If only I didn't live so close to central. :( This is something I've always wanted to see. :(

MetalAlien

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Will god please stop playing with his food and just destroy us already. I'm so sick of his lukewarm indecisive bs. Pick a rapture and stick to it.
So 2nded it's not even funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom