• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natalie Portman "open" to returning to Thor franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I didn't ever think she was that bad. But to be fair, I cannot really remember anything about Thor 2.

In what? Because for the foreseeable future, I don't see where she can show up and actually do something apart from popping up and reminding us Jane exists.

Though that does make me wonder how far ahead Feige and his crew have planned.

She was just a plot device for Thor 2 plus to try and ignite a love triangle that went nowhere.

At least try to use her probably. She at least looked like she cared.

I dont' know where she would fit in the current slate of movies, but...
I'm sure Agents of SHIELD would love to write her into an episode or three.

Not sure if they could afford it though.

zeemumu

I want her back, and back as female Thor!

Some would say that Portman is too street to play female Thor

tumblr_lgnybjQ1Tl1qbow3so1_500.gif

I'm laughing harder than I should at my own joke.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hope Marvel now get someone who vaguely looks like Portman and kill her off in the first five minutes in a style of something like this

nordberg.gif

Seriously. I like Portman but she added nothing to these movies and the part itself was lazy as fuck. She can do better

Alchemy

If they make a transition to a Jane Foster Thor I'm 100% in, if she is just Odinsons romance partner then fuck off we don't need more of that shit.

Cipherr

I think people have to take into account just how poor the writing is in those films. There's not a whole lot actors can do with flimsy material.

In those films, Portman essentially plays "Woman who asks questions and gets kissed by Thor". Even Meryl Streep couldn't do much with that shit.

I mean, we do. How many threads and polls have to make fun of The Dark World and thor in particular? They are poorly written movies, and her parts in them are just badly designed. Ill admit that she doesn't have much to work with, but that doesn't make me dislike the character or the movies as a whole any less.

Its especially frustrating because of how much I love what MCU has done with Cap and Agent Carter even.... Then you have Thor on the side being downright insufferable.

Back in May, Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige confirmed that Portman's Jane Foster won't appear in Thor: Ragnarok, and three months later, Portman herself said she believed she was "done" with the MCU. Even so, Hammond concluded his interview by asking, "So...more Marvel movies in your future?"

"Yeah, well, hopefully one day I figure it out," she replied with a nervous smile.

This is not a woman that is "open" to returning. That's a very nice way of saying "no, that's still not going to be happening" without having to actually say "no, that's still not going to be happening" on the record.

Also, there's no link back to the original interview, which might put that quote in a little clearer context. Different outlets/reporters do get treated differently. Portman's not going to give the same answer to a one-on-one with a veteran at an established outlet as she would a junket question, or a roundtable.

This isn't really news, I don't think. And the opening quoted paragraph doesn't really seem to be an accurate sum-up of the following quotes.

So basically, it's just a headline w/ no real support that doesn't really need any support because all anyone's going to do is debate the premise in the headline anyway.

Not like that sort of practice has gotten us all in trouble or anything, heh.

Even though it doesn't make sense really for her to just slow exit out without an explanation, I'm totally cool with it. Thor should be getting with Sif anyway.

rbenchley

She shouldn't waste her talent on these garbage films. Waste of her time. Especially since she's phoning it in for these movies anyway.

What talent? She's a goddamn rotten actress. She was one of the best child actors ever (Heat, The Professional, Beautiful Girls) and has regressed ever since. I have no idea how Darren Aronofsky managed to get a good performance out of her for Black Swan.

kswiston

What talent? She's a goddamn rotten actress. She was one of the best child actors ever (Heat, The Professional, Beautiful Girls) and has regressed ever since. I have no idea how Darren Aronofsky managed to get a good performance out of her for Black Swan.

She'll probably be nominated again for best actress this year. Which would make it 3 nominations to date, including Black Swan and Closer.

karasu

No those movies really showed me how boring Portman is. I really have no interest watching her in anything now. Except Black Swan. That shit was incredible.

Speevy

Banned
I want Natalie Portman back to something but I don't really care about her role in this franchise to be honest.

No those movies really showed me how boring Portman is. I really have no interest watching her in anything now. Except Black Swan. That shit was incredible.

We don't want you back, Portapotty.

Jesus Christ

HarryKS

The thing that saved the Thor franchise as movie experiences was the chemistry on display between the two leads. Makes you envious.

Another thread where the only people bashing her have apparently only seen her in Marvel movies and Star Wars.

Portman is excellent in Closer.

Wooden is the last thing I would call Portman.

She's a good actress when given the right material but that's the thing about Marvel movies; side characters are rarely more than 2-dimensional sketches because most of the time is given to the lead roles. I have no doubt that Jeff Goldblum, Kurt Russel, Cate Blanchett, Donald Glover, Bokeem Woodbine et al. are going to be wasted in their roles because they're nothing more than side characters to the real character that'll get depth and fleshing out. So, I mean, if she's in it for the paycheck, fine with me. I have no doubt one Marvel paycheck can help subsidize two or three art house films they do.

El Topo

Mads Mikkelsen was really bad in Doctor Strange and Rogue One. Monotone actor that barely showed any range. /s
You can only do so much with what you're given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom