• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Bread

Banned
What a terrible shame it would be if the Celtics had to keep their 2nd seed team in tact and keep their incredibly valuable Nets picks :/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What a terrible shame it would be if the Celtics had to keep their 2nd seed team in tact and keep their incredibly valuable Nets picks :/

Yup and that nets trade pretty much guaranteed a top 4 pick next year as well. Edit- (Bogdanovich one)

Jacce

Banned
The main reason Boston has motivation to move the pick is because if the pick ends up 1 or 2 they won't be able to maintain having the pick and Isaiah Thomas going forward. If its 1-2 they have no choice but to pick the franchise superstar potential PG of the future in Ball and Fultz. Both are players that would be ready be the starting PG of a franchise day one.

What do you do with Isaiah Thomas then? He won't be happy taking a backseat to Lonzo Ball mania.

Woj on his livestream last night talked about this a lot. Boston has a choice if they get the 1/2 pick. Go with the pick as their point guard of the future to develop or stick with Isaiah Thomas and move the pick. You can't do both.

NHale

Debunked never mind. Lakers reported to wait for George in FA 2018.

The eternal promise that it isn't worth to trade for someone because they are signing with the Lakers anyway.

Like it happened with Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, LeMarcus Aldridge, etc...

The last time the Lakers free agency involved any superstar was when Dwight decided to leave. I seriously doubt if Paul George is unhappy at Indiana because they aren't contending, is going to join a team that haven't been in the playoffs for 4 years. Unless the young guys improve a lot next year, he's not coming. The only superstar crazy enough to join the failing Lakers would be Westbrook but he seems happy playing at OKC without KD.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The main reason Boston has motivation to move the pick is because if the pick ends up 1 or 2 they won't be able to maintain having the pick and Isaiah Thomas going forward. If its 1-2 they have no choice but to pick the franchise superstar potential PG of the future in Ball and Fultz. Both are players that would be ready be the starting PG of a franchise day one.

What do you do with Isaiah Thomas then? He won't be happy taking a backseat to Lonzo Ball mania.

Woj on his livestream last night talked about this a lot. Boston has a choice if they get the 1/2 pick. Go with the pick as their point guard of the future to develop or stick with Isaiah Thomas and move the pick. You can't do both.

I would imagine this factors exactly 0% into Danny's plans. This is an absolute non factor.

Bread

Banned

If they get the 1st pick, that pick has a lot more value than it does now. If they get lower than 1, they don't need to take a PG because there are elite prospects at other positions. It's not so cut and dry. Besides, Fultz and IT could coexist.

Tom Penny

Who cares if him and IT can co-exist. IT has one year left unless extended. If the pg they draft is good you move on from IT so you don't have to max a one way playing midget...

Agents use the "x player will leave for the Lakers" thing the same way the NFL used LA to scare cities into building stadiums. I have a hard time believing that any player really knows what he is going to do next week, let alone in 2018. So much can change.

gutshot

I just read Phily has Sacramento first pick in 2019 lol. That team is going to be trash for so long. Poor Kings.

instagram-joel-embiid.gif

teepo

i'm not too thrilled with the wizards trade but maybe scott brooks can work his magic with mcccullough

edit: now that i've familiarized myself with the trade, i'm warming up to it.

gutshot

What are "protected" picks?

It means the pick won't convey if it falls within the protection range.

For example, the Sixers have a top-3 protected 2017 1st round pick from the Lakers. So if the Lakers end up picking 1st, 2nd or 3rd, they keep the pick. If they pick 4th or later, the Sixers get it.

Brandson

As a lifelong Raptors fan, I say they offer anyone Indiana wants except Derozan, Lowry, Ibaka, and maybe Patterson for George. Also, as a cord-cutter since 2008, if they manage to trade for Paul George, I vow to sign up for a cable tv subscription the next day.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As a lifelong Raptors fan, I say they offer anyone Indiana wants except Derozan, Lowry, Ibaka, and maybe Patterson for George. Also, as a cord-cutter since 2008, if they manage to trade for Paul George, I vow to sign up for a cable tv subscription the next day.

Lollll wut? You think they can get pg13 giving up nothing then?

Gigglepoo

Ainge will get #3 again , even with the best odds at #1
Ainge is cursed at the draft

There's a 75% chance the Brooklyn pick isn't #1, though.

In 32 draft lotteries, the first pick has gone to the team with the worst record 5 times ('88 Clippers, '90 Nets, '04 Magic, '15 Timberwolves, '16 Sixers).

Bread

Banned
Ainge will get #3 again , even with the best odds at #1
Ainge is cursed at the draft
Who cares? We'd still be getting a top prospect. If we keep the pick and the Nets have the best odds at #1, that's fucking great. Worst case scenario 4th pick in a stacked draft? Hell yeah.

LionPride

Banned
Who cares? We'd still be getting a top prospect. If we keep the pick and the Nets have the best odds at #1, that's fucking great. Worst case scenario 4th pick in a stacked draft? Hell yeah.
Drafts Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson and realizes neither is gonna be good

ViciousDS

Banned
There's a 75% chance the Brooklyn pick isn't #1, though.

In 32 draft lotteries, the first pick has gone to the team with the worst record 5 times ('88 Clippers, '90 Nets, '04 Magic, '15 Timberwolves, '16 Sixers).

Cleveland won 3 straight to win the title
Cubs won 3 straight to win the title
Brady scored 3 touchdowns in a row to win the title
For the first time ever the number 1 pick will go to the worst record 3......years......straight

It has been a year of unbelievable shit......I have a feeling it's not over

Jarate

Banned
how is statistical variance unbelievable. It is literally believable.

Reason why the pick is so valuable is that there are like 3-4 elite players so you have a high likelyhood of getting a top tier talent.

Im hoping the Kings tank so hard they get the #1 pick. I hope the Lakers fail and get the 4th pick.

Next years talent is interesting. Luka Doncic tho.

Jarate

Banned
Sixers have traded Ersan Illyasova for Tiago Splitter and 2nd Rounders.

the sixers effectively traded Jerami Grant for a top 20 protected 1st from the Thunder (if it doesnt convey it turns into 2 2nd round picks) and 2 2nd tounders

good trade Colangelo. Ersan was fun, but Dario has been playing so well at the 4 recently.

gutshot

I like that Ersan deal. Get some value for a guy who isn't going to be here long term and open up more playing time for Saric. Colangelo doing good so far. Now he just needs to nail this Okafor trade.

Top Bottom