• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I wouldn't call someone averaging 17/11 last season a role player. Aldridge is arguably better than Kawhi, just sacrificing stats because of the Spurs system. David Lee isn't a scrub. Parker/Ginobili are old but aren't scrubs by any means.

I'll just say if you were to trade any of the other players I listed above Kawhi outside of Durant(roles are similar, but Durant is a better isolation scorer and facilitator), every team would get worse.

Hahah man idk this is wacky.

Tom Penny

I wouldn't call someone averaging 17/11 last season a role player. Aldridge is arguably better than Kawhi, just sacrificing stats because of the Spurs system. David Lee isn't a scrub. Parker/Ginobili are old but aren't scrubs by any means.

I'll just say if you were to trade any of the other players I listed above Kawhi outside of Durant(roles are similar, but Durant is a better isolation scorer and facilitator), every team would get worse.
LMA is arguably better than Kawhi 🤔

Hitta93

Banned
If you trade CP3 for Kawhi, the Clippers get worse. Kawhi is good at what he does, but again, until I see him run an offense, I can't rank him higher than 7th. Even 7th is arguable in my opinion.

Aldridge is arguably better, his role just isn't the same as it was in Portland.

LionPride

Banned
If you trade CP3 for Kawhi, the Clippers get worse. Kawhi is good at what he does, but again, until I see him run an offense, I can't rank him higher than 7th. Even 7th is arguable in my opinion.

Aldridge is arguably better, his role just isn't the same as it was in Portland.
No. He isn't. At all. Kawhi is a top 4 NBA player, Aldridge rn is...top 30?

Ronin Ray

I walked into cp3 and LMA are better then king kawhi !!! It's funny you can tell people that haven't watched the spurs much this year because they think it's the system or the roster is great when in reality Leonard is carrying them this year.

Tom Penny

Aldridge got the super dope running an offense skill moves.

I walked into cp3 and LMA are better then king kawhi !!! It's funny you can tell people that haven't watched the spurs much this year because they think it's the system or the roster is great when in reality Leonard is carrying them this year.

Yep sadly our offence is like 90% Leonard ISOball. Sad coming from the older teams we ran.

Hitta93

Banned

It's definitely the system, the players most people think are bad are far from it.

Ronin Ray

Aldridge got the super dope running an offense skill moves.

I loved when all time greats like Duncan , shaq, bill Russel , etc, etc all ran there offense when they were winning chips. Larry Bird was a beast at running his. Micheal Jordan was the best point guard ever

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Just bought some floor seats for the Jazz game on Tuesday and I just tune in and see Gobert is out? Wtf!?!?

Dude.

You realize.

That even though the league is guard heavy.

Running an offense isn't the most valuable thing.

And the Spurs move the ball around in general.

And if the Spurs can't get a shot, Leonard has to ISO his way to scoring.

And that unlike most of the other stars, Leonard has a crazy value on defense.

And that there's more to this game that running an offense, and there have been stars that play more off-ball than on it (see, for example, Lebron in Miami).

Just stop.

They didn't ask for best point-guard/forward/center superstar.

Did Tim Duncan run the Spurs offense? Was he not a superstar?

Stahp

Also, holy fuck poor Jazz. Gobert was their best player, his advanced metrics showed him to be a ridiculous player (only Harden beats him in win shares, for example). He was the only member of their planned starting 5 + 6th man that was consistently healthy. The ONLY one.

What the fuck man.

Hitta93

Banned
Just depends on what you value. I'm not ranking Kawhi's skill set over the likes of TMac or Wade just because he's an elite defender.

I don't know many PFs if any that run an offense. That shit that Marc Gasol or even Joakim do from the high post doesn't count.

Eos

Aldridge over Kawhi?
laff.gif

Hitta93

Banned
How valuable is being an elite defender when a team doesn't have an elite scorer to defend?

How valuable is being an elite passer/floor general when you have players who can't create their own shots?

I got sucked into the argument and I'll back out after this, but just my opinion.

Kawhi isn't that good.

LionPride

Banned
Aldridge over Kawhi?
laff.gif
Even folks on coli don't say such trash shit

scust.png

How valuable is being an elite defender when a team doesn't have an elite scorer to defend?

How valuable is being an elite passer/floor general when you don't have players who can't create their own shots?

I got sucked into the argument and I'll back out after this, but just my opinion.

Kawhi isn't that good.
You wanna know what the Spurs offense has been for two season? Move the ball and give it to Kawhi.

You wanna know who cwn shut down any wing or guard? Kawhi. That's valuable regardless if the person is elite or not.

You wanna know who was a top 10 scorer in the league? Kawhi

You got sucked into an argument because using your fuckng eyes should tell you how stupid you're being. He's a top 4/top 7 NBA player at the VERY least and yes, he's that damn good

Surfinn

How valuable is being an elite passer/floor general when you don't have players who can't create their own shots?

Kawhi isn't that good.
I'm not sure if you know what "not that good" means

I can't believe we out here saying Kawhi is barely top 7 in the league. That isn't even joke territory. Its just flat out stupid. I know this is a guard driven league but having a 1/combo guard skill set is not the defining traits that make players top in the league.

Hitta93

Banned
I can't believe we out here saying Kawhi is barely top 7 in the league. That isn't even joke territory. Its just flat out stupid. I know this is a guard driven league but having a 1/combo guard skill set is not the defining traits that make players top in the league.

Being an elite defender doesn't make you a top player in the league either.

Alright now I'm done.

sorry to break up the discussion on how Kawhi is not "that" good, but....

Clips may have caught a lucky break in Gobert spraining his knee 17 seconds into the game, but it's not looking like they are determined to take advantage of that in the first half.
tie game at the half... smh Clippers.

on the plus side, if the Jazz win the series and human rim protection is out for the playoffs, the Warriors will feast... assuming a quick resolution to Rnd1 for the Dubs against Portland of course.

Seeing Gobert go down in the first 17 seconds was one of the worst sports moments I've had since John Paxson burried a three to defeat the suns in 93.

Tommy DJ

Being an elite defender doesn't make you a top player in the league either.

Alright now I'm done.

Yes it does, Draymond Green is most certainly a top player in the league just for his defense and he's like the main reason why Golden State is probably going to win the NBA finals this year.

Have you looked at the Spurs right now? It's Kawhi and a bunch of role players, and LMA, who is either decent or underperforms, with the occasional great game

That's why it annoys me when people bring up Aldridge's averages. He isn't a scrub and no one serious is saying that. He's the clear 2nd offensive option on the Spurs, especially with the number of shots the team/Pop hands him, and he's generally a clear positive on defense but dude has serious stretches where he'll miss all of his long 2s and be the softest big man on the court like during the rodeo road trip and that disaster of a game against Memphis/Vince Carter this year. They bring up his averages while ignoring that 1/3rd of his games have him shooting like less than 40% on goddamn 2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom