• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16 |OT| This Time With Less Cheese

Justified

I have VC I just don't want to use it because I feel like it might be a waste for right now. Especially since I'm not getting much

This is true and I like the challenge but it does get frustrating when you, your character can't even knock down open jumpers. That's where it just upsets me. I get good looks, I'm chilling, almost perfect release but nothing. Even free throwing is a joke. I'm worst than the rookies I'm playing with. It makes no sense lol

Im actually doing good with open shots. I play a center so Im loving the changes!!

I added you btw

I am so astounded at how smooth the park experience is.

Like what is this?

I want to reinstall 2k15 just to see if that is miraculously fixed too, I don't get this.

I can't get any space on offense at all...no matter who I have control of

I can be on their 7th string bench player and the CPU goes into automatic lock on, heat seeking defense and suffocates me 100% of the time. I honestly don't think I've been able to get past a single defender cleanly once. This is on Pro which should be more forgiving but nope...every defender is somehow the second coming of Jesus. You're supposed to "size up" the defender, get them leaning one way but when they are on me they never move. They just stay on me and never go the wrong way.

There has to be something I'm missing because it shouldn't be like this. I just don't understand what the game wants me to do. I've done everything I possibly know how to do and I'm just hitting a brick wall here.

Been liking most of the changes to gameplay although i'm still not a fan of the new controls.

If anyone needs a 2K veteran for their Pro Am team feel free to add me on PS4: aj2good4you2. I can play whatever position/role is needed.

newsguy

Not only did they not give me voice options this year, they made my
TWIN sister black. Welp, it's official, 2k hates whites

Tubobutts

Anyone sucking in their rookie year? I can't do shit. At this point, I'm attempting to just get to the end of the story.

My PG can't hit wide open jumpers and I missed a dunk with no one near me.

Also, is anyone else having trouble with the new alley oops? I try double tapping the button and they just throw a regular pass.

Also Also, Is the 2k Sport Store not working for anyone else? I'm on PS4.

I can be on their 7th string bench player and the CPU goes into automatic lock on, heat seeking defense and suffocates me 100% of the time. I honestly don't think I've been able to get past a single defender cleanly once. This is on Pro which should be more forgiving but nope...every defender is somehow the second coming of Jesus. You're supposed to "size up" the defender, get them leaning one way but when they are on me they never move. They just stay on me and never go the wrong way.

There has to be something I'm missing because it shouldn't be like this. I just don't understand what the game wants me to do. I've done everything I possibly know how to do and I'm just hitting a brick wall here.

It seems right now this is the big issue possibly holding the game back. Too early to tell if we all just need to learn the controls, or if it's a bigger problem. After about 10 games...I'm leaning towards bigger problem. I've gotten better, but man there is just so little explosiveness when you're sizing people up.

It almost feels like there's a delay after you do your move, the defender bites, and then you try to drive...but there's always a hiccup. I'm trying everything -- pressing turbo/not pressing turbo, lighter touches on the sticks. So far, nothing seems to address this.

I'm also confused as to how turbo works this year with driving and doing more advanced moves. It seems like you only need it in certain spots. I think the controls have been overhauled yet again, but it's not super clear how.

So what exactly is the game "copying"? I thought the PS4 ripped the whole disc onto the HDD and then I could play. Been sitting here for 2 freaking hours including playing 2 full games and this damn thing is stuck at 53%. Tried deleting older games I don't play anymore, but still 53%.

Sandfox

So what exactly is the game "copying"? I thought the PS4 ripped the whole disc onto the HDD and then I could play. Been sitting here for 2 freaking hours including playing 2 full games and this damn thing is stuck at 53%. Tried deleting older games I don't play anymore, but still 53%.

I didn't have that problem.

If you guys are playing MyTeam, get Hasheem Thabeet. Dude is around the 60's but his block is a whopping 97. Probably my best player on defense right now.

Cirruss

The game looks like it is really well produced and good but the new player experience is rubbish.

I haven't played a basketball game since the N64 and I am completely lost trying to play this game. There is no tutorial to ease you into playing the game and I can only find three tutorial videos, of which none of them cover defense.

Scanna

Happening to me as well. Parker can not beat a bench scrub off the dribble, it's ridiculous.
What about pro-am? Always get an error message and cannot access a game for the life of me.
Mypark instead is amazing.

ViciousDS

Banned

rule #1....don't ever play a game when its installing to the HDD.....it takes longer.
same goes for downloads.

Also Mine installed in about 20 minutes in full to the drive,

dezzy8

rule #1....don't ever play a game when its installing to the HDD.....it takes longer.
same goes for downloads.

Well mine installed exactly after one game. He might just have to delete the install and try again. Something similar happened to me in MGSV where after the prologue, my game froze on an install screen and was fixed after I deleted and reinstalled the game.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well mine installed exactly after one game. He might just have to delete the install and try again. Something similar happened to me in MGSV where after the prologue, my game froze on an install screen and was fixed after I deleted and reinstalled the game.

sucks.....but, shit happens sometimes....its technology lol.

At work....for only 4 hours, thank heavens. Can't wait to get home and continue my PG. I think I'm going to start over and change balanced to outside or inside. Balanced always has been one of those positions where you just can't seem to get a one up on anything against a defender due to you being a jack of all trades.

Clevinger

I just played my first game with the Bucks, and who was in the starting 5 but Larry Sanders.

o_O

edit: I looked at his season averages and 15-16 is missing. I guess the logic is he came out of retirement for the 16-17 season and the Bucks forgave him and resigned him. lol

same goes for downloads.

So I went to sleep and 5 hours later it went from 53 to 54%. How else am I supposed to know when the game is ready to play? PS4 games used to actually show the full install meter as the whole thing is installing. Now it'll show for a very short time or enough to actually get into some portion of the game while the rest installs. Without actually going into the game, there's no way to tell if it's still installing or not.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I went to sleep and 5 hours later it went from 53 to 54%. How else am I supposed to know when the game is ready to play? PS4 games used to actually show the full install meter as the whole thing is installing. Now it'll show for a very short time or enough to actually get into some portion of the game while the rest installs. Without actually going into the game, there's no way to tell if it's still installing or not.

you might want to delete it and start over. Give it an hour, and once the disc stops spinning you know its done. The disc will stop spinning during install until you boot the game when the disc verifies that its in the drive.

You also used to be able to tell when a game was done by the install size in the information screen and checking how much was actually on your drive at the time. Now it just reserves the space all at once whether the data is there or not.

The game looks like it is really well produced and good but the new player experience is rubbish.

I haven't played a basketball game since the N64 and I am completely lost trying to play this game. There is no tutorial to ease you into playing the game and I can only find three tutorial videos, of which none of them cover defense.

I feel with you, its a shame they abandoned the tutorial mode which they had in 2k12 & 13 I think. Completely unreproducable for me why year after year they remove modes & other things that are popular and well made.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anybody able to get into the 2k store:

edit: nvm finally able to get in just really slow

its getting slammed. But thankfully they offloaded the store to a seperate server compared to the rest of the experience. The fact they we have been able to play MyCareer without problems is amazing. I think they might have finally figured out how to use their servers properly for the most part.

Someone said MyPark actually was good.....question is, sure it runs smooth but whats the response from you hitting the button and seeing it on screen. I remember the first time I shot a 3 in my park to watch me be way off release because you actually had to release earlier online due to it. That crap, made me quit instantly because everything you did was delayed....from movement to shooting. It's the reason why online looks like a bunch of idiots running around.

Smokey

its getting slammed. But thankfully they offloaded the store to a seperate server compared to the rest of the experience. The fact they we have been able to play MyCareer without problems is amazing. I think they might have finally figured out how to use their servers properly for the most part.

Someone said MyPark actually was good.....question is, sure it runs smooth but whats the response from you hitting the button and seeing it on screen. I remember the first time I shot a 3 in my park to watch me be way off release because you actually had to release earlier online due to it. That crap, made me quit instantly because everything you did was delayed....from movement to shooting. It's the reason why online looks like a bunch of idiots running around.

It only took +/- 10 years

This is dumb, does it really take like half a dozen career games before you get drafted and can start earning vc? Wtf, I just want to improve and get badges for park...

Smokey

This is dumb, does it really take like half a dozen career games before you get drafted and can start earning vc? Wtf, I just want to improve and get badges for park...

you don't start getting badges until your second season (after the first 8 games of rookie year). The second season is where the more traditional MyCareer takes over.

you don't start getting badges until your second season (after the first 8 games of rookie year). The second season is where the more traditional MyCareer takes over.
Goddamn so we're talking like a whole day of playing just to start getting decent paid games

Lol I wish park games have decent vc, oh well steam is all cheaters at the moment anyway..

Doesn't help that you can't skip most of these stupid cutscenes

ViciousDS

Banned

they honestly, could have just ditched the story. Had us start at 50 overalla....do a full high school and college career. Depending on how good you do in college you could enter the draft early, get major VC for being a prospect and playing off the bench. If you stay all 4 years college and enter draft you are considered NBA ready for a championship and get starter minutes. All while earning VC from the get go. Maybe even have only certain schools offer scholarships, while if you want to go to another school you could pay for the tuition in VC.

The story could have been scrapped for a full standard Career from starting as a freshman in high school to the NBA. I would have loved that, HS coaches having influence on your skills, college trainer and stuff.

Maybe next year they will ditch this insanely bad story. It's even more scary knowing that Spike had full control over everything story releated. Hell the jackson ellis angle was more interesting than this. Also didn't feel forced, you can barely make any decisions in this story....because its Freq's story, not yours.

What disadvantage are you at if you suck in college? I almost want to just afk a game or two bc I don't care where I get drafted I just want to play NBA games where I can you know, improve not basically play exhibition games

ViciousDS

Banned
What disadvantage are you at if you suck in college? I almost want to just afk a game or two bc I don't care where I get drafted I just want to play NBA games where I can you know, improve not basically play exhibition games

lower in the draft....thats pretty much it lol

you get the choice of 5 teams interested in you after the first season anyways....its like the draft never even happened.

Yeah they really didn't plan it out well. There's no incentive to do well in hs and college lol, bc even if you play on rookie there's no rewards or anything so why wouldn't you, and it's basically just a cpl hours of forced practice mode with bad cutscenes

jmizzal

they honestly, could have just ditched the story. Had us start at 50 overalla....do a full high school and college career. Depending on how good you do in college you could enter the draft early, get major VC for being a prospect and playing off the bench. If you stay all 4 years college and enter draft you are considered NBA ready for a championship and get starter minutes. All while earning VC from the get go. Maybe even have only certain schools offer scholarships, while if you want to go to another school you could pay for the tuition in VC.

The story could have been scrapped for a full standard Career from starting as a freshman in high school to the NBA. I would have loved that, HS coaches having influence on your skills, college trainer and stuff.

Maybe next year they will ditch this insanely bad story. It's even more scary knowing that Spike had full control over everything story releated. Hell the jackson ellis angle was more interesting than this. Also didn't feel forced, you can barely make any decisions in this story....because its Freq's story, not yours.

I hope next year they expand college and add more teams and give you the chance to play a full college season, and stay if you want.

So far getting into a Pro Am game on NBA live is much better since you can play with CPU players and so its no wait.
Maybe once more people have the game I can play some pro am

JohngPR

Just finished Livin' Da Dream. Overall, I liked it but I have a mixed feelings about it.

What I thought could be improved:

-Frequency Vibrations is a stupid ass name. Just calling him Frequency would have been a better nickname even. Who the hell has a first and last name for a nickname? Silliness. lol

-Some of the dialog is cliche' and eye roll inducing. Too much slang and stereotypical stuff going on with it. I realize things are stereotypical for a reason but I dunno, some of it came off as them trying too hard to sound "street". Take a drink every time someone is "Keeping it 100". :p

-The transitions between cutscenes could use some work. Often times you'll see a cutscene and it freezes at the end of it while it's fading out in order to save/load. It takes away from it feeling like a movie and it makes it feel like a bunch of vignettes stitched together. They should implement some kind of background streaming/saving feature. Easier said that done I'm sure, but it impacts the experience.

- The team owner character was ridiculous and condescending IMO. He was right about what he was talking about but good lord. Having a very Caucasian guy using slang like he did feels borderline offensive. :p

-I wish there was more of it to flesh out some of the characters. The parents are barely in it and the story skips swaths of plot points and mentions them in passing. The story is practically non existent in the college era of your career.

- The default times are simply too low. It was fine in high school because I was able to play at a high level, and it was ok in College, but being a bench player who gets like 10-15 minutes per game in the NBA simply isn't enough time. My player wasn't skilled enough to take over games so I ended up forcing turnovers because I was trying to make things happen in the short amount of time I was on the court. I ended up playing a complimentary role. Which leads to my next thing

- I think you are rated too low to start off. Everyone talks about you like you are this amazing prospect that has the world in the palm of his hand while you are averaging 6-7 ppg. :p

There were a fe things I did like though

Now on to the things I liked:

- I like the idea of taking your career from high school to the pros.

- The acting was actually pretty good. Seems like they captured facial performances and doing so did add to the performances. I think everyone did a good job delivering the dialog they were given. The story didn't do them any favors though.

- Victor's character was the star of Livin' Da Dream. He did a good job with the serious bits of the story which is hard to pull off in videogames. It's no Uncharted but it was done well.

- My agent is a trip. I liked him....lol.

- More than anything, It did a good job of having a human element...both from the characters perspectives and the development perspective. While the entire story didn't resonate, it did make me feel something in the end which is more than I expected from a story mode in a basketball game. I think Vic's character hit close to home in a few ways, that might have had something to do with it.

Overall, I think this mode needed a lot more work to be good. As is, there are a few elements that worked (The performances themselves, going from HS to Pro) but all of them could have been implemented better.

cHinzo

Well, I just learned the pick and roll. I can finally be useful on the court, since I cant seem to hit any jumpers as a Shooting Guard...

ViciousDS

Banned
Well, I just learned the pick and roll. I can finally be useful on the court, since I cant seem to hit any jumpers as a Shooting Guard...

The PnR feels pretty damn good this time around...your guy also actually tries to cut if not blocked by the defender.

ViciousDS

Banned
So is it possible to change the side cam in my park??

I'm pretty sure, streams I watched last night all had 2k camera on. Don't know though, I'm not entering my park until I get my character up a bit. I'm not fucking buying VC to be relevant.....also I want some badges and other stuff,

Last night idiots had 800k queue'd for MyTeam pack openings....why, what the living hell is the point of spending that much, people wonder why microtransactions are in every damn year when people spend hundreds day one to just pay to win.

cHinzo

The PnR feels pretty damn good this time around...your guy also actually tries to cut if not blocked by the defender.

Yeah, loving the PnR atm. It's really effective.

I think I just lost like 800 VC trying to upgrade an attribute and 2K threw me off the server. Can't seem to connect to the server to play MyCareer, geez.

Can I walk in to bestbuy tomorrow and buy this? or do i need a preorder?

Preordering it would be buying it ;)

But in all seriousness, you can walk in at any time from here on out and pick it up. They treated yesterday as the release day.

On another note: I know they're having trouble again with the store servers, so nothing too surprising there, but I ran into a problem where apparel/sleeves won't unequip. Have a sleeve stuck on my guy. Won't come off no matter what. Guess I'll have to try again when servers are more stable : /

stn

Haven't bought a 2K since 2009. Want to get back in, found out it was released early at a store near me. Questions.

1. Can you edit existing players' accessories?
2. Is there a franchise mode where you can do a fantasy draft? If yes, does the game create new rookies as the seasons go on?
3. Good create-a-player mode?
4. What sucks about the game?

Thanks!

Top Bottom