• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

Which Lebron team was better?

A)2012 Heat
B)2013 Heat
C)2014 Heat
D)2016 Cavs
E)2017 Cavs?

And how would you rank them in order?
2013 was peak LeBron but this Cavs team is the best he has played on. Specifically last years version.

Wade and LeBron only worked because of talent. As pieces it was never ideal.

I feel like this series is over. I don't want Cavs/Warrriors part 4. Wouldn't mind if Lebron retired. What more does he have to prove? He has said that over and over since winning last year. He won one for the Land. Going to another team for better odds against the Warriors would be career suicide at this point. Why keep playing for rings at the age he is at? And will sticking with the Cavs for more losses in the Finals for the next few seasons be appealing for him? He won't catch Jordan's 6 rings. He won't reach Kobe/Duncan's 5. Maybe the Cavs can make some roster adjustments and he could pull off a 4th championship in a few years and retire on that
You've come a long way since predicting Cavs in 5 yesterday. Lol

I want to see James and CP3 on the same team.

I guess half pf the league should retire then.

Lebron isn't half of the players in the league. Is he content with just racking up stats and making millions for the next 5 seasons where he'll accrue more losses in the finals and not win another championship just because he has 3 rings?

You've come a long way since predicting Cavs in 5 yesterday. Lol

I want to see James and CP3 on the same team.

If those black jerseys couldn't save them yesterday, it's over. Lebron looked like Love was the only person he could count on to do any thing. How do 3 starters for that team fail to put up 10 or more points in this sort of situation?

bionic77

It wouldn't make sense at all. Kyrie is like a perfect compliment to Lebron on offense.
Agreed. What LeBron needs is someone to rebound and play defense to give him a break.

He will probably get the Cavs to just get him more shooters though...

TTG

Agreed. What LeBron needs is someone to rebound and play defense to give him a break.

He will probably get the Cavs to just get him more shooters though...

That was supposed to be Tristan Thompson, but if you mean a wing, someone who can make life hard on Durant and be good enough to not get Tony Allened on offense, that's hard to find. Does Ariza do it, or do you need more than that? Maybe Shumpert can do something offensively at home.

Battier was the heats iggy.

Lebron would trade the Cavs vets wholesale for one series of Battier. Dude would have a hard bound 500 page book on Durant ready before the post season even started.

bionic77

That was supposed to be Tristan Thompson, but if you mean a wing, someone who can make life hard on Durant and be good enough to not get Tony Allened on offense, that's hard to find. Does Ariza do it, or do you need more than that? Maybe Shumpert can do something offensively at home.

Lebron would trade the Cavs vets wholesale for one series of Battier. Dude would have a hard bound 500 page book on Durant ready before the post season even started.
Not sure Battier can check Durant. He would at least not let him dunk 9 times a game. Too much height though.

Can anyone in the league check KD if LeBron can't? Probably Gianis is the only one with a shot if I had to guess. Good luck finding a guy like that for the Cavs though.

Still a 2 way player who can cover space like Draymond and knock down 3s is the only improvement the Cavs can really make. Again good luck finding that guy. Not a lot of them exist.

Statistics like that don't really apply to sports. So probability kind of gets tossed out the window because there is way too many external factors involved to get any sort of reliable probability statistics.

This is an insane statement. It's very far from perfect but to say statistics don't apply to sports or that probability gets tossed out the window is a very ignorant statement.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
But really how cool would it be if Curry went to the Bucks or something?

For the good of the league.

If I was a player I'd say damn the league, I go where I get paid the most and have the greatest likelihood of winning a chip.

Let other teams figure out how to better manage and acquire assets.

Haha so true about Battier.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-finals-game-2-warriors-cavaliers-takeaways-7f860d8d146c

LeBron stopped attacking after halftime (he attempted just one shot in the fourth quarter), and the rest of the Cavs weren’t able to pick up the slack. Lue’s strategy in this series seems to be based on the belief that LeBron is a 25-year-old who can run and gun with the younger Warriors stars, not a 32-year-old who has to pick and choose his spots carefully. While James may get an extra burst of energy from the Cleveland crowd in Games 3 and 4, his endurance will be a key story line to watch if the Cavs continue playing at Golden State’s preferred uptempo pace.

TTG

"LeBron should retire" is one of the stupider takes in this thread. It's rather impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-M518RMopM

A number of people can make life very hard for Durant, ask Tony Allen. The idea isn't to block his shot, that's impossible...

latest

instead it's you that's blocked, no that's right. The point is people have made life hard on Durant before and Battier would be face guarding him, not looking to block his shot.

bionic77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-M518RMopM

A number of people can make life very hard for Durant, ask Tony Allen. The idea isn't to block his shot, that's impossible...

latest

instead it's you that's blocked, no that's right. The point is people have made life hard on Durant before and Battier would be face guarding him, not looking to block his shot.
That's all you can do but it's almost impossible to be left on an island against a superstar like KD. It's pretty hard for a whole team to stop guys like that.

Put someone on an island with a LeBron, KD etc and bad things will happen.

NBA all team defensive player of the year Marcus Smart is the best Durant stopper in the league history

Durant has never beaten Smart in the playoffs. In fact, if my research is correct, he hasn't even scored a basket against Smart in the playoffs.

2013 was peak LeBron but this Cavs team is the best he has played on. Specifically last years version.

Wade and LeBron only worked because of talent. As pieces it was never ideal.

Defense. Those Heat teams played defense and switched everything like they were post-playoff-switch-having-been-flipped Cavs, and did it well, 24/7.

But yeah this Cavs team needs one peak Battier ASAP. Shumpert and JR are their closest thing to 3-D players, Shump is meh on offense at best, JR has disappeared and is too small to guard KD

TTG

LeBron stopped attacking after halftime (he attempted just one shot in the fourth quarter), and the rest of the Cavs weren’t able to pick up the slack. Lue’s strategy in this series seems to be based on the belief that LeBron is a 25-year-old who can run and gun with the younger Warriors stars, not a 32-year-old who has to pick and choose his spots carefully. While James may get an extra burst of energy from the Cleveland crowd in Games 3 and 4, his endurance will be a key story line to watch if the Cavs continue playing at Golden State’s preferred uptempo pace.

He took Lebron out at the beginning of the second when LBJ usually plays. Game 1 he was out there with a bench unit, was gassed, and Draymond/Klay/Bench stretched a 5 point lead instead of Lebron closing it. He also played Shumpert on Durant which was much more successful than the Warriors counter of Livingston on Lebron.

That's 2 very good adjustments. It was hard to keep track in the second half because it was all a non stop highlight until the Warriors buried them, but Lebron finished with 40 minutes despite sitting the end of the game. That's common to all of Lebron's coaches, when they're in the shit the answer tends to be more Lebron.

So you could nitpick at that, the bigger problem is the pace was off the charts both games. Maybe you slow it down despite Shumpert for Tristan making sense if Tristan is bad again. Maybe Durant fades, he's working just as hard after all. Maybe the home crowd and possibly a lead in the second half carries them. Shoot up Lebron with more horse steroids, send him to some extra hot yoga classes, I don't know.

VeeP

He is already brutally raked over the coals for having lost so many finals appearances already.

You think Lebron really gives a shit? I'm not even a Lebron fan and I can't believe I have to defend him smh.

Dude doesn't give a shit anymore. Yes, when he first came to the league he had pressure on him. He was the supposed next GOAT, gonna win one for the land, etc. He couldn't. In part because he had a shitty cast. And he got "brutally raked" over and over.

So he went to the Heat. And lost. Brutally raked again and again. Then he won, etc. and went back to Cleveland.

Then he lost. Backlash was there. Pressure was there.

And last year he beat a (injured and worn down) 73-9 team. Pressure was off.

What's left for him? Tie Jordans rings? Tie Kobe's? If he doesn't so what? He's content, I think it's obvious. And this point he just wants to see how far he can go, what type of legacy he can leave. He's already breaking tons of records every year. If he loses to quite possibly the greatest team of all time, it happens. But Lebron isn't a quitter, if he loses this year there will be a shake up next year in Cleveland. And if they don't win next year expect more adjustments.

And maybe I'm wrong but I think Lebron actually enjoys basketball, and the game. Getting paid (to do what you enjoy) sounds pretty good to me.

Umbooki

Defense. Those Heat teams played defense and switched everything like they were post-playoff-switch-having-been-flipped Cavs, and did it well, 24/7.
If it wasn't for the dreadful bench, I would've included the 2011 Heat in the rankings as well. MVP-Tier Wade and LeBron were so much fun together.

I don't understand why the Cavs would try to play faster. If you're going to play Lebron 40 min, you're doing him a huge disservices by making the game a track meet Keep the game close with defense, slower pace and play the whole shot clock.

Nafai1123

Banned
May be a dumb question but what about replacing Longabardi as the defensive coordinator? Ron Adams gets a bunch of credit for the way the Warriors play defense. Can a coach make that much of a difference?

TTG

I don't understand why the Cavs would try to play faster. If you're going to play Lebron 40 min, you're doing him a huge disservices by making the game a track meet Keep the game close with defense, slower pace and play the whole shot clock.

Taking Tristan off the floor means it's West and McAdoodoo instead of Zaza and Javale, which is a big advantage.

It means Shumpert on KD. Lebron gets rest and he's able to roam and help, which he's great at.

But they also play faster small, which tends to happen. Has anyone even tried playing small and slow? Heat were bottom 2 in pace towards the end and the biggest guy on the floor was Lebron, Bosh just happened to be taller, didn't help him any getting run over on defense.

More Shumpert, maybe boot JR for him, but give Thompson another chance.

ty_hot

I dont follow NBA that much, but the little that I watch of KD made me always think of him as the Anderson Silva (on its prime) of NBA. He just does the things without effort, everything seems easy for him. Their style is so so so similar, I can't not notice it everytime. Now I see someone posting that the only one that could guard him is... a clone of himself. Just like Anderson Silva. The guy is a beast. They are.

I am now rooting for a 4-0 for the Warriors even though I like L. James (terrific guy!). Curry is another one that seems to be palying top notch lately. Hopefuly I will have time to watch one of the games live (not happening if it will be a 4-0 though).

LionPride

Banned
Has no one in her pointed out the nice move/countermove done by Lue and Kerr?

Dray has his 4 fouls, Lue does the smart decision and puts Frye at C thinking Zaza would be put in

Kerr did a smarter move and put KD there, breaking everything apart

Nice to have a 7'0 SF who can play PF or C if need be

Has no one in her pointed out the nice move/countermove done by Lue and Kerr?

Dray has his 4 fouls, Lue does the smart decision and puts Frye at C thinking Zaza would be put in

Kerr did a smarter move and put KD there, breaking everything apart

Nice to have a 7'0 SF who can play PF or C if need be
Yea KD is not fair lol.
I did this once in 2k lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom