• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live ratings are ridiculous!

Take a look.

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=nbalive2005xbox&LastOrder=50&direction=prev

My Spurs got screwed. Tim freaking Duncan is a 89(while KG gets a 97), Barry a 68 and Tony & Manu should be a little higher. Even Rasho got a 59, just one more than scrub Jumaine Jones and one less than Michael "The Biggest Bust Ever" Olowakandi.

And that is only an example. Many good players underrated and many crap players overrated. Who the fuck comes up with this numbers? A monkey?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
They use an "Edge" ranking system by trying to use the whole spectrum from 0-100. I think the highest rating is what, like an 92 or something?? If so, then Duncan is pretty damn close to that.

Bowser

open_mouth_ said:
They use an "Edge" ranking system by trying to use the whole spectrum from 0-100. I think the highest rating is what, like an 92 or something?? If so, then Duncan is pretty damn close to that.

KG gets a 97

Heh, Duncan did get screwed, he should be at least a 94.

DMczaf

open_mouth_ said:

Operation Sports: Will you be using the 0-99 rating system or 50-99?

NBA Live 2005 Team: 0-99. This gives us better player skill differentiation. Incidentally, we frequently read feedback regarding ratings that are off/wrong, but we base all of our numbers directly from the end-of-season NBA statistics. So, before complaining that Walter McCarthy’s 3 point rating is higher than Paul Pierce, check the stats. 

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
ahh, in that case I'd have to say you're right about Duncan being screwed. I guess the ratings focus a bit more on athleticism than they should because as effective players, I'd say Duncan is on par with Garnett.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I agree with making KG the highest rated player. Keep in mind, this might be an average considering all skills, as well as stats like +/- rating, and how the player affects his team when he's in the game (ie: the margin of scoring when the player is in the game as opposed to when he's not in the game).

Then again, it could also be bonus points for getting the MVP trophy last year.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
also, I'm sure efficiency rating is a factor in determining the Live rating, and in that case, KG blows everyone else away.

I don´t mind KG being the highest rated in the game, be it for his MVP, efficiency rating, whatever. What pisses me off is not only Duncan´s rating being 8 points lower than a players many consider on par or even inferior to him. Plus the rest of the players in the game being over/under rated.

Just as an example. Yao and Antoine Walker are both rated 80.

I know you can edit it, but their system sucks.

Cloudy

Banned
This can easily be fixed with a roster update just like Sega did after EVERYONE complained of the crazy qbs and "dumb" dbs. It's not a big deal IMO...

Fifty

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=nbalive2005xbox&LastOrder=30&direction=next

Chris Bosh........65

Rafer Alston: 62

Alvin Williams? 53

I don't understand this system

edit: Konex, while I find it great that you can defend both games....I'm not complaining as much as I am confused. I know that ESPN's "Dumb DBs and Fast QBs" still exist, so that's not really a good example.

SECOND EDIT: It makes more sense if I think of it as the 0-99 system (Which is is) instead of a 50-99 system. It'll take a while to get used to them (the old style is stuck in my head) but it can't hurt anything.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
So that´s why KG is a 97 and Kobe a 94? They´re out of this world(spare me the Laker homer comments, Konex :p )?

because KG is the reigning MVP, and Kobe is the greatest human to walk this earth since Jesus.

Bob White

foster2.jpg

:lol

These things are getting better and better.

Xellos

These videogame basketball ratings will always be wonky because they go almost exclusively on stats, age and popularity. They place less value on experience, leadership, decision making, probably because they figure that's up to the player. This is especially evident with the point guard rankings, where Marbury and Francis are 85s while Nash and Cassell are in the low 70s.

pilonv1

Why is Rod Strickland on the Warriors roster? Troy Murphy gets no love either.

Edit: Kenyon Martin is a 76, but Nene is a 60. Good lord.

Top Bottom