• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draconian

But on that play Manu didn't go across the line. Only his toe touched the line so the ref ain't gonna call for that. I thought you were talking about other plays during the game.

I disagree with that. Granted the angle of the replay isn't conclusive, but I think he did reach across the line.

But on that play Manu didn't go across the line. Only his toe touched the line so the ref ain't gonna call for that. I thought you were talking about other plays during the game.

His toe was across the line..two blown calls for each side.. still the ball dropped in favor of the Spurs ...

Brinbe

Let's be honest, we all know what really happened!

jT6K6Rd.gif

7124237_G.jpg

J2 Cool

That play just isn't that big of a deal. Spurs had their chance, but the game was in the hands of Danny Green and Patty Mills at the end.

I suspect Webber will get a stern talking to from the higher-ups...

OKC played poorly outside of Westbrook, Durant and the occasional contribution from Ibaka and Adams. SA also played poorly (excluding Aldridge of course). Patty Mills in particular was horrible. This game could have easily been another 20-25 point blowout by either team if more players stepped up.

I still think that the Spurs will win at least one game (possibly both games) in OKC and close out the Thunder in 5 or 6. Tonight's loss really isn't that big of a deal...it may actually be a good thing for SA.

Jonm1010

Banned
Chuck really did call up someone haha. Love this guy!

So basically it could of been a lot of shit was the answer FYI. Definitely a violation, possibly a tech.

On the line is across the line. Just like if a players toe touched the line during the game they would rules out of bounds. Thought that was just understood?

It isn't for inbounding though. You have to actually reach across the line for a ref to reset the 5s clock. I have never seen a ref stops the play just because a part of defender touches the line.

Frenden

Banned
That awful starting-fourth lineup was the death knell for this game. I was more surprised the Spurs came close to turning it around than I was that a ref blew a final call.

It isn't for inbounding though. You have to actually reach across the line for a ref to reset the 5s clock. I have never seen a ref stops the play just because a part of defender touches the line.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

Section III-The Throw-In
a. The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in. He shall release the ball inbounds within 5 seconds from the time the throw-in starts. Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line and teammates shall not occupy positions parallel or adjacent to the baseline if an opponent desires one of those positions. The defensive man shall have the right to be between his man and the basket.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
True. I just don't see how it impacted the Spurs. They got the ball back and a chance to win and they choked it away.
Yes, it clearly affected the game. It should have been a technical foul. That and/or an out of bounds play for the Spurs. Clearly it had a very large impact.

As shit the refs were on the last play, the Spurs still forced a turnover and they had a timeout. So I think they still got what they wanted, the turnover. Else it would've been Durant shooting for two or something.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

My interpretation was that stepping into the out of bounds area while someone is inbounding is a technical. Is there exact verbage for the distance a defender must keep because I'm pretty sure that what Ginobli was doing was, by any rules, not allowed (and he was certainly closer than 3'). Combine that with his penchant for flopping (i mean exaggerating) I can just see refs deciding on a no-call that actually worked in the Spurs advantage (as they got the ball in a scramble situation that resulted in an open jumper).

Trey

Terrible pass from Green. Why would you loft the ball under the basket to Mills? Give him a bounce pass and he goes up easily. Or pass it to the even more open Ginobli.

Spurs can't complain about a 3on1 game winning opportunity.

What the Spurs got was way better than an out of bounds play. They jus couldn't convert.

A call would be nice but I agree with this. They had 10s on the clock, that's more than enough to do a few passes to find an open man. In stead they panicked and rushed the shot.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Rule seems pretty clear - "...Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of his person over the boundary line..."

Ginobli was the first to violate the rules. Doesn't matter than the elbow was "more egregious" (and certainly exaggerated by ginobli's penchant for the...uh...dramatic).

Forget the push that non lay up off the pass was completely bad. He ran past the rim a little.. You just don't go for that lay up. You just make that shot with complete urgency and will. I can't believe your wide open on a lob and for the game and dish off.

If he had a guy in front of him or a loose ball ok, but wow.. Lost the game for his team. That was the win, seeing that play unfold you basically new the spurs won, can't believe it. So many players would have gotten the score on that play.

I understand it's not the best pass but I still expect a jump a day lay up or reverse after the slight over positioning. This is an nba player and it isn't a tough play anyways.

I was at the game. Everyone around me was in shock during the last play. Can't belive that mess happened...
It's not why they lost and even with my issues above you have a whoke game to win. Should have been a foul but it was in the spurs favor. You don't get a better chance than a steal at mud and two on one fast break. Spurs loss the game. No question about that. They need to do some half court fast break lay up drills apparently

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Wat.

ChgYPMxUoAEBf02

Literally 3 on 1. Compared to OKC setting their defense, communicating how to play any screens, getting their match ups right, etc. Like it's not even close.
I would take a Pop play out of a timeout 10/10 instead of attempting a fast break with Patty at the basket and the ensuing fuckball. They had awful possessions leading up to that moment, so no I didn't have faith that they wouldn't scramble. It should have been a tech on OKC regardless.

Fjordson

I would take a Pop play out of a timeout 10/10 instead of attempting a fast break with Patty at the basket and the ensuing fuckball. They had awful possessions leading up to that moment, so no I didn't have faith that they wouldn't scramble. It should have been a tech on OKC regardless.
That's insanity. If Danny Green throws a normal pass it's a wide open layup.

Like c'mon breh. It's frustrating I get it, but that was a super simple play for SA that they didn't convert. I mean there's literally an OKC defender on his ass behind the ball lmao. The initial chaos broke perfectly for SA.

Then Pop should have called a timeout, which they had one of.

Fjordson

If Pop has midcourt ATO plays up his sleeve that get easier shots than this then he's the greatest strategist in the history of professional sports.

ChgqoonUgAE3aji

"alright fellas, after we inbound we're going with the one where four defenders are on the wrong side of the court. And Manu make sure to get that spilled Gatorade in the right spot so Durant falls on his ass"

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If Pop has midcourt ATO plays up his sleeve that get easier shots than this then he's the greatest strategist in the history of professional sports.

ChgqoonUgAE3aji

"alright fellas, after we inbound we're going with the one where four defenders are on the wrong side of the court. And Manu make sure to get that spilled Gatorade in the right spot so Durant falls on his ass"
I agree that they should have scored. I think I never would have considered passing to Patty but driven in deep and dishing to Manu. Patty was awful that whole 4th. Pop should have called a timeout when Patty had no room because they were far too frantic that whole play.

ChgqoonUgAE3aji

I up your photo

YIgTnsz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom