• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see where the no matchup thing comes from. While Cleveland has no defensive bigs like OKC has, they have a lot more offensive options than just Durant and Westbrook. Plus they have rebounders in Love and TT to get the boards, which has really been the trouble of Golden State as of late. And LeBron can slide to guard Klay if necessary. This isn't a walk in the park for GSW like you think it will be.

The matchup problem comes from: where do they hide Kyrie AND Love when they're both on the floor for defense. Kyrie can't guard Barnes or Klay and damn well can't guard any Fs or Cs. Love could probably hide on Bogut but where does he hide when the small ball lineup comes to play? Either way, the Cavs are at a disadvantage when those two are on the floor together. JR and LeBron can't guard everybody.

kaiju

Western Conference Champs wooooooooooooo

Cjwf739UgAIsnsv.jpg:large

Marz

Who says they don't have a gameplan? They are a good team, they just don't matchup with or have the personnel to machup with Golden State. People reading into how Golden State played against OKC as if they will play that way against anyone else is the real Skip Bayless-tier take.

I'm not reading into anything. Lebron fucking James is going to carry this shit. That's what the greats do.

He didn't have his weapons last year. He has a better bench, better shooters, great offensive rebounders. He was able to pace himself this playoffs and let his teammates carry part of the load, should be well rested. Ain't like GS has anyone that can stay in front of Irving either.

We'll see.

Misterhbk

I'm not reading into anything. Lebron fucking James is going to carry this shit. That's what the greats do.

He didn't have his weapons last year. He has a better bench, better shooters, great offensive rebounders. He was able to pace himself this playoffs and let his teammates carry part of the load, should be well rested. Ain't like GS has anyone that can stay in front of Irving either.

We'll see.

You must not have seen what Klay was able to do to Westbrook. And Westbrook is much faster than Kyrie.

TTG

You would have to imagine the Cavs have the rebounding edge. Thats gotta count for something, and they can shoot the three ball pretty well. And lebron can drive and dish on this team at will.

Not nearly as big a margin as this series. Warriors caught a lot of flak for being poor on the glass, but OKC is pretty much the perfect team for offensive rebounding. Your bigs have to come over and help all the time and you've got 3 seven footers on the other side, plus the best offensive rebounding point guard, plus Roberson who everyone is helping off of when the defense collapses.

Cav's offensive rebounds will start and end with Tristan Thompson now that Mozgov is out of the rotation.

Fjordson

Did Bogut play in the second half tonight? Doesn't seem like it.

Warriors could really use an athletic frontcourt guy after this year to battle someone like Steven Adams. Ezeli does it in fits and starts, but sometimes simple things like catching a pass trip him up too much to play big minutes.

Edit: imagine if the Warriors hadn't traded down and drafted Gobert. Holy fuck man.

Codeblue

Thoughts on the summer of KD? I really doubt he leaves as I think he'll ask for a 1 or two year extension

I can't imagine he leaves. People weren't sure OKC was going to get past San Antonio, let alone take the Warriors to 7. I think they've proven that they're a contender, now they just need to stop throwing away games (and series) at the last minute.

random25

The defensive bigs are what made that machup for OKC though. Their ability to control the paint with Adams and Durant. Cleveland's bigs are terrible on defense. The fact that they have a few more scorers won't matter.

The matchup problem comes from: where do they hide Kyrie AND Love when they're both on the floor for defense. Kyrie can't guard Barnes or Klay and damn well can't guard any Fs or Cs. Love could probably hide on Bogut but where does he hide when the small ball lineup comes to play? Either way, the Cavs are at a disadvantage when those two are on the floor together. JR and LeBron can't guard everybody.

Kyrie is a defensive scrub, that's a given. But Kyrie can make it up with his ability to score too. And they have good perimeter defenders in LeBron, JR and Shump. While Love's defense is worse than a saloon door, his ability to score from the outside will give him an advantage on small-ball lineup defense from the Warriors. As much as Cleveland gives away with defense, they take away more on offense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when NBA Finals happen.

Servbot24

Banned
Kyrie is a defensive scrub, that's a given. But Kyrie can make it up with his ability to score too.
He can make up the difference against a lot of players, but he's not going to out-shoot Curry.

That said, I was really disappointed we didn't get to see Kyrie vs Curry last year, so hopefully this year will deliver some excellent offensive guard play.

LOL I just saw that Russ said Curry only scored off the OKC bigs and never on him. Forreal?

This is why he'll never win, dude has an ego the size of the state he plays in.

TTG

He can make up the difference against a lot of players, but he's not going to out-shoot Curry.

That said, I was really disappointed we didn't get to see Kyrie vs Curry last year, so hopefully this year will deliver some excellent offensive guard play.

It's going to be Klay or Kyrie, his size would be wasted chasing JR around..

Kyrie is a defensive scrub, that's a given. But Kyrie can make it up with his ability to score too. And they have good perimeter defenders in LeBron, JR and Shump. While Love's defense is worse than a saloon door, his ability to score from the outside will give him an advantage on small-ball lineup defense from the Warriors. As much as Cleveland gives away with defense, they take away more on offense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when NBA Finals happen.

I definitely agree that Cleveland has the offensive firepower to keep up with the Warriors but that's not a battle I think Cleveland wants. It will be a great series either way as the Warriors just aren't that good on defense as they were last year.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So their plan is to win a shootout with the best shooter of all time and arguably the 2nd best ever?

The Cavs style of play this year is long ball, score quick, use their length to get shots and just outpace people.

Ain't nobody outpacing the Warriors. Hell OKC held them down startlingly well today and still got fucked up.

Dubs in 5. No way they can defend well enough to do more than get one game.

neptunes

I've been wrong on a few predictions

Thought SA would beat OKC
Thouht my Raps would get swept
Didn't think GSW would have gone to 7 games, or that OKC would lead at any point.

LeBron's situation is kinda hilarious. Feasts on dumpster squads to get to the Finals, for which he deserves some credit but it's still dumpster squads.

Has to go up against juggernauts in the Finals and if he losses it's all expected because the team is stupid ridiculous. The guy is stuck in this bizarre purgatory where he's in the Finals by default and losses by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom