• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: Former Russian counter-intelligence officer was in Don Jr. meeting

TS-08

What's interesting is that not only did Don Jr. not mention this guy, but the lawyer didn't either. This is another reminder that there's no reason to trust their account of what went on at the meeting.

Travo

I was playing Uncharted mp while reading this, then Sully said, "You want me to stop, I'm not gonna stop!"

_Ryo_

I wonder if there's a point where "fake news" fatigue starts to set in and the Trump supporters start to realize that maybe there really is something to all of this. I mean in the back of any rational person's mind you'd have to at least think how weird it is for Trump's team to be having all of these undisclosed contacts with Russians opperatives even if you partially buy into the whole "liberal sour grapes" narrative.

They know it isnt really fake news. They know Trump & Company lie. They do not care, thus no fatigue.

From what I can tell, most seem tired and frustrated of this. A lot did seem to at least recognize that the Russia meeting was dumb if nothing else though. If a decent # of Republicans turn on Trump for this, I expect it'll be more likely due to a (or more) solid pieces of evidence such as tapes or audio with the turning being more sudden.
It's still pretty early in the grand scheme of things but I still believe that eventually many Republicans, save for the most diehard fans, will turn on Trump. The thing that makes me sad though is I think it will be because it's clear that he and the Republican Congress can't actually get anything done, not because he's a terrible human being and president. I really hate to think that the atmosphere of this last election is the new normal but the right wing of the country seems unhinged and unlikely to change any time soon.
They know it isnt really fake news. They know Trump & Company lie. They do not care, thus no fatigue.
I actually work with a few people that buy into the "fake news" stuff so there's definitely a contingent who are true believers for now I just wonder for how long as more and more of this stuff comes out. Not all Republicans put their party ahead of the country.

Zolo

I wouldn't say the former's necessarily true. A lot of people are struggling to still want this to be fake or false somehow....or at least some kind of norm. We're in the middle of a transition from 'There was no collusion' to 'It's not a big deal.'

I actually work with a few people that buy into the "fake news" stuff so there's definitely a contingent who are true believers for now I just wonder for how long as more and more of this stuff comes out. Not all Republicans put their party ahead of the country.
I have family that's currently in the view that he should be punished if it turns out he colluded (even if it was worth it to keep Hillary out), but they're ultimately waiting for something like Mueller's investigation to decide that.

I saw this news break on Morning Willie.

Fox News will likely paper over this news, but the fact that Don Jr. was so forceful with Hannity that he fully disclosed everything was transparent, yet failed to mention a 5th person in the room! Nevermind the 5th person is a former Soviet intelligence agent (i.e KGB officer???).

Maybe this 5th person was just an observer who Don Jr didn't really know, but just not disclosing the 5th person after everything that happened earlier this week is just insane.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, morning oppo?

5JCpQad.gif

Ponn

Banned
What's interesting is that not only did Don Jr. not mention this guy, but the lawyer didn't either. This is another reminder that there's no reason to trust their account of what went on at the meeting.

This has been the most baffling part to me. That people were actually taking them at their word, in what world have they earned that kind of trust?

I think KGB dude he has dual citizenship. So he might be in the clear on that one particular point... it's still treason though.
No he's not. My entire family are American citizens, not dual citizens, and I'm still required to list them on my security forms because they were born in another country.

I doubt that he can even claim ignorance on this point unless this guy never spoke or had no foreign accent.

DonShula

All that money has fostered such sloppiness. When you're that rich you get used to doing whatever you want. They're clearly out of their element now because they're used to throwing money at problems and then walking away.

The fact that money can't make the media go away is going to be their eventual downfall.

RDreamer

A guy on twitter, @mla1396 ( unverified but says former special ops commander) named this guy a few days ago. The Russian guy's name is Rinat Akhmetshin.

Using what the Russians and the Trump campaign did against Hillary, keeping the news cycle churning and allowing them opportunities to incriminate themselves.

Unless you were being sarcastic. It's too early in the morning to tell.

Or you really meant the Trump Admin. Like I said, it's too early.

I meant the trump admin, no big deal.

I wonder if there's a point where "fake news" fatigue starts to set in and the Trump supporters start to realize that maybe there really is something to all of this. I mean in the back of any rational person's mind you'd have to at least think how weird it is for Trump's team to be having all of these undisclosed contacts with Russians opperatives even if you partially buy into the whole "liberal sour grapes" narrative.

It must honestly be exhausting to be a Twitter warrior drawing a line in the sand with each WH/Donnie Jr statement. No wonder so many just resort to shit posting memes, waking up every morning having to erase the previous day's tweets is a dangerous amount of self-reflection.

Aw, no comment.

Former U.S. Attorney Joyce Vance: “It looks like Trump Jr. is now engaging in what prosecutors call ‘incremental truth-telling’” via @MSNBC

— Bradd Jaffy‏ (@BraddJaffy) July 10, 2017

There it is.

I'm almost certain the next update will be "they actually did discuss harmful info re: emails, but didn't go into any specific detail" followed by "they discussed an explicit exchange of emails for sanctions" followed by "Donald Sr was there in the room, and took a selfie with everyone present."

This level of granular detail makes it look almost certain that Kushner or Manafort have flipped. On the other hand, if the lawyer was actually being investigated/bugged by the FBI, we'll end up with a full transcript at some point.

This is the same guy who was paying* Fusion GPS for anti-Magnitsky Act sanctions work at the same time they were in charge of Steel's dossier.
*Without being registered as a foreign agent

It's all too complicated for my brain

This has been a consistent trend with everything Russian related. Zero transparency (especially with name drops) until the media forces the issue. Almost like they've been communicating to keep their story straight.

Edit: alarmingly, this allows right-leaning media to keep the names from circulating widely. There are like, zero sound bites of Donald or Donald Jr mentioning any of these people (or Kislyak). And of course, fox conveniently redacts where necessary on written statements.

This is the same guy who was paying* Fusion GPS for anti-Magnitsky Act sanctions work at the same time they were in charge of Steel's dossier.
*Without being registered as a foreign agent

It's all too complicated for my brain

This is actually starting to make sense.

Soooo... he's acknowledging that another person WAS indeed in the room?

Ihavetheworstlawyers.gif

Obviously worth taking with a truck load of salt, but Louise Mensch is suggesting that Trump Sr called into this meeting, and there are tapes within the IC of the conversation between them all.

This has been a consistent trend with everything Russian related. Zero transparency (especially with name drops) until the media forces the issue. Almost like they've been communicating to keep their story straight.

If they're still coordinating with forces abroad, Mueller probably has access to intercepts or human intelligence... even if the US IC ignores it, allied services will have it. Should be interesting.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He was clearly just there to talk about adoptions.

Listening to "Pod Save America" they bring up an interesting point that adoption isn't just some kind of humanitarian issue, it's that the Russian government halted adoption of Russian orphans for Americans (about 1000 children a year) in retaliation for the freezing of Russian national's assets by America.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/10/world/americas/kremlin-adoptions-sanctions-russia.html

So it's not like Don Jr. went in to talk about a charity or childrens welfare, the meeting was about the Russian adoption freeze in relation to the foreign asset freeze -sanctions.

Why do they keep leaving details out of each "final" revision?

Especially since the official WH line is that they did nothing wrong?

Death by a Thousand Cuts.

Keeps it constantly in the news and people's consciousness, so it's much harder to dispute than one large info dump.

That's my take on it anyways.

Also continued clicks and views for the sites don't hurt as well.

I prefer this constant barrage of news. Any resource and time that the WH and Republicans have to use shouldering and defending this, is potentiionally less resource and time fully devoted to fucking us.

That's my hope.

Edit:

Saw that you meant Trump's administration.

groansey

Obviously worth taking with a truck load of salt, but Louise Mensch is suggesting that Trump Sr called into this meeting, and the IC have tapes of the conversation between them all.

Mensch is playing some sort of game, she's pro-Trump and alt-right regardless of her current schtick.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Obviously worth taking with a truck load of salt, but Louise Mensch is suggesting that Trump Sr called into this meeting, and there are tapes within the IC of the conversation between them all.

The other day she said Reince Priebus tried to flee the country but was stopped by Air Marshals, after they were tipped by Saudi Arabia sigint.

Do you really want to quote her?

Soooo... he's acknowledging that another person WAS indeed in the room?
How did we get from "We had a meeting to discuss Russian Adoptions" to this so quickly? It's really frustrating how few eyebrows on Capitol Hill seem to get raised when the Trump team gets caught in a string of lies.
Obviously worth taking with a truck load of salt, but Louise Mensch is suggesting that Trump Sr called into this meeting, and the IC have tapes of the conversation between them all.
Only a truck load?

How did we get from "We had a meeting to discuss Russian Adoptions" to this so quickly? It's really frustrating how few eyebrows on Capitol Hill seem to get raised when the Trump team gets caught in a string of lies.

They're new at this. So, you know, they couldn't have known. Anyone else would have done the same.

But what about Hilary?

gcubed

Citing anything from Louise Mensch should be excommunication worthy.

Keep that trash in conspiracy theory and garbage threads

The other she said Reince Priebus tried to flee the country but was stopped by Air Marshals, after they were tipped by Saudi Arabia sigint.

Do you really want to quote her?

And some other day she reported correctly about FISA warrants. Yeah she is a nut job and a lot of her ideas are either unconfirmed or wrong, but some of the things she has said has been correct, suggesting she must have some legit contacts. Like I said, take it with salt.

Kyzer

Banned
They dont care if Russians helped the president get elected because they won

And some other day she reported correctly about FISA warrants. Yeah she is a nut job and a lot of her ideas are either unconfirmed or wrong, but some of the things she has said has been correct, suggesting she must have some legit contacts. Like I said, take it with salt.

No, just no.

Out of her insane ramblings she got one thing right forever ago.

Everything else has been so horribly wrong and stupid that she is not worth quoting, and is a waste of time to even think about in terms of this story.

Shadybiz

I don't usually put much stock in reporters that are only right like 25% of the time.

Horns

How many times are they going to revise the story? At this point they have zero credibility. You can't keep getting caught in lies and expect to be believed.

RPGCrazied

Oh please let him testify next week in front of the senate. I hope he slips up and brings this whole thing down, he is dumb enough.

Chococat

Wait, wait, so how many were in the meeting with Jr.? I'm getting confused LOL

Jr.
Kushner
Manafort
Lawyer russian lady
5th guy confirmed by NBC "retired" Russian intel
Possible another? (something on the Morning Joe???)

Top Bottom