• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time of the year again, kids. Pretend to care about college basketball for about 4 days then forget all about it by the time the second weekend rolls around. Watch as the person in your office that has never watched even one sporting event wins your pool.

Last year's champ: Duke Blue Devils
Are they going to repeat? Um, no.
Who is going to win? Won't be LSU, not in the tournament (Sorry, Cyan)

So let's get this thing started, and remember, we're all friends here.

LPbaRJ4.png

NeoGAF Yahoo Bracket: https://yho.com/tourney?g=83828&k=ab96574fec738a57&soc_trk=lnk
Password: feelthebern
Add up to 3 brackets because reasons.
Deadline to complete bracket is March 17 12:15pm EDT.

The 1 Seeds
Kansas - Won the Big XII for the 704th consecutive year because nobody else there plays basketball
North Carolina - First ACC tournament championship since 2008. First time fans have cared about ACC tournament since 2008.
Virginia - The committee misspelled "Michigan State"
Oregon - I'm not sure who these guys are or if this is even a real school.

Television
Where to view: CBS, TNT, TBS, truTV
Schedule: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-tournament-tv-schedule-tbs-cbs-tnt-trutv-march-madness/

CBSSports.com streams every single game online for free. Their streams are pretty great quality too.

You can also use their March Madness app to watch on your phone or tablet as well.

the play in games are counted in the brackets? i'm surprised everyones bracket aren't destroyed on tuesday by those play in teams
or do they wait until the play in games are over?

future celtic ben simmons getting maximum rest before dominating the nba ;p

I think KU has a shot at it this year if they can just play a solid 6 games... Here's hoping.

But honestly I'm just glad Wichita State made it in, hopefully they can get a few wins and send Baker and Van Vleet out with a bang. Let's go Shockers!

the play in games are counted in the brackets? i'm surprised everyones bracket aren't destroyed on tuesday by those play in teams

For the purposes of the Yahoo bracket, you don't pick the play-in games. Two of the winners will certainly go on to lose to the #1 seeds. The other two winners will play a #6 seed and might cause some damage, but you can take the winner as far as you'd like in your bracket and do not need to finalize your selections until the games tip on Thursday (12:15 PM, EDT).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

You get either team in the next round no matter who wins.

Bowser

Ok, my initial gut reaction for the F4 was KU, ORE, MSU, UNC

Filling out my bracket, I've actually now got Maryland, Oklahoma, MSU, UNC

Guarantee neither is right :3

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ok, my initial gut reaction for the F4 was KU, ORE, MSU, UNC

Filling out my bracket, I've actually now got Maryland, Oklahoma, MSU, UNC

Guarantee neither is right :3

I've got the Terps going down in the first round.

UNC, UK, Sparty, and OU is my FF.

I'm still mad with myself from last year where I would have picked all 4 Final Four teams right if I decided to not be biased but I picked Gonzaga over Duke instead.

I think I'm going to do a hate bracket this year, where I just pick against all the teams I want to see lose (within reason, or I'll have some 16s advancing)

e: looking at the bracket, this is going to be really fun. I'm gonna do it for sure. Providence to the Elite 8!

Piggus

Go DUCKS.

Oregon won the first ever NCAA tournament and hasn't won it since. They have a really good shot at it for the first time in a long time.

nillapuddin

CddomRHWEAI1uba.jpg:large

It is what it is, but this A&M over UK seeding is inexcusable.
Evenly matched all year, technical foul beat UK at A&M, Cats win in tourney championship, still higher than us.

They just wanted a harder trip for us and that 3 seed spot was too easy

* lot of respect to A&M, they are a really great team, they just shouldnt be seeded higher than UK

Jonm1010

Banned
Since LSU shit the bad heavily this year, I am pretty much just following players I hope the Pelicans consider in the draft.

And I gotta say, this Valentine kid is impressing the fuck out of me. Hield is nice and all but Valentine just does so much very well, like watching the Shooting Guard version of Draymond Green. Elite passer, great rebounder, plays well with and without the ball, good character and is an underrated defender.

I kinda think I am gonna end up rooting for them.

Wellscha

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Ku! Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU! Rock Chalk Jayhawk KUUU!!

Wish there was a way to watch the games and listen to Bob Davis call it at the same time.

Karl2177

I'm still baffled on Tulsa getting in. Like what metric did the committee look at and say "hmmm Tulsa is better than Monmouth, St. Mary's, and San Diego State?"

Bowser

Evenly matched all year, technical foul beat UK at A&M, Cats win in tourney championship, still higher than us.

* lot of respect to A&M, they are a really great team, they just shouldnt be seeded higher than UK

It's pretty obvious why the committee made it this way. Made for TV matchups. If you flip flopped UK and A&M's seeds and regions, you'd get a UK vs Texas matchup and a A&M vs IU matchup in the round of 32 (excluding upsets of course). Good games, sure, but are they as compelling as UK vs IU and Texas vs A&M, particularly given they're natural rivals that refuse to play each other now? Nope.

All about the money when it comes to the bubble and matchups.

ryseing

All of your teams are bad. All hail the one true champion LSU Tigers. So good that they're not even playing in the postseason.

I'm still baffled on Tulsa getting in. Like what metric did the committee look at and say "hmmm Tulsa is better than Monmouth, St. Mary's, and San Diego State?"

They claimed top 50 wins was the main metric. Tulsa is shocking, though. But like I have been saying in the main thread, maybe it's a makeup for the American Conference for the NCAA leaving Temple out last year lol.

Duke being higher than UK is even worse.

Just the typical ass kissing the NCAA and the media gives Duke.

Can't even finish in the top 5 of their conference or make the semis of their conference tournament, yet a 4 seed. Right.

RoKKeR

Welp, Vandy made it in. *shrug*

Excited to see my team in the tourney, even though I'm not entirely sure we deserve it.

That being said, like the OP says, everybody sucks...

nillapuddin

It's pretty obvious why the committee made it this way. Made for TV matchups. If you flip flopped UK and A&M's seeds and regions, you'd get a UK vs Texas matchup and a A&M vs IU matchup in the round of 32 (excluding upsets of course). Good games, sure, but are they as compelling as UK vs IU and Texas vs A&M, particularly given they're natural rivals that refuse to play each other now? Nope.

All about the money when it comes to the bubble and matchups.

theres no doubt its about that

Maybe I should have been more clear, I agree with you 100%, I just dont see how they can defend it this year. One of the most obvious examples Ive seen.

BBN brings in the money so they dont care where they put us. They either want us out as soon as possible, or go on a run against the world

my UK wins it all scenario
Stony Brook, Indiana, North Carolina, West Virginia, Michigan State, Kansas.

Im not afraid of any of those teams, but we could easily lose to any of them.

If UK got put in Louisville, its an automatic Final Four (I know that means beating Kansas)

So my work pool has "upset" scoring, 5 points for each first round correct pick plus a bonus of "high seed - low seed" for correctly picked upsets (i,e, a 12 beating a 5 would be 5 points plus 7 upset bonus points.)

So I ran the numbers based on historical win rates for the various seed matchups and it came out that if I picked straight chalk, I'd expect to get 121 points out of the first round, but if I pick all of the 5-8 seeds to lose, I'd expect to get 125 points (both expected values rounded.)

If I continue this to the second round (10 pts per correct pick plus the same bonus,) I get an even bigger advantage. 115 expected points for picking straight chalk, 120 for picking the 1, 3, 4, and 10 seeds (again, based on historical win%.) After that the upset bonus goes away and I figure I just go straight seedings until the Final Four where I pick them all to lose 'cause the B1G got robbed.

So how am I over/under thinking this?

Proelite

Duke being higher than UK is even worse.

Just the typical ass kissing the NCAA and the media gives Duke.

Can't even finish in the top 5 of their conference or make the semis of their conference tournament, yet a 4 seed. Right.

Hey if you guys beat UNC in the sweet 16 I'll admit everything you say about Duke is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom