• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

megalowho

A Stony Brook win would be amazing, but I can't see it happening. I thought they were primed for an upset, but they got a terrible matchup. Warney is going to have a ton of rebounds, but he's going to struggle scoring down low. I dont think Stony Brook has the shooters necessary to stay in the game late and the matchup of Ulis vs Puriefoy will be tough to overcome.

SBU finally got over the hump, and that makes me happy enough.
Stony Brook is my hometown team. Seeing that program go from Division II in a crappy fieldhouse to here is very gratifying, especially considering how close they've been the last few years.

I don't expect much from them against Kentucky but Warney is a beast. I believe he can score against any college frontcourt, he's looked dominant lately.

nillapuddin

Final Coaches Poll
iQ921mIl.png
77QnFpO.png

Why did MSU not get a 1 seed?

Stony Brook is my hometown team. Seeing that program go from Division II in a crappy fieldhouse to here is very gratifying, especially considering how close they've been the last few years.

I don't expect much from them against Kentucky but Warney is a beast. I believe he can score against any college frontcourt, he's looked dominant lately.

I went to Stony Brook (wearing my Stony Brook Rugby polo today in their honor), so I'd love to see it happen.

Warney is definitely good, but the late season game against Albany sticks out in my mind, a lot. Everyone is entitled to an off night but he seemed to have trouble with their physicality. He didn't have the same issues @ home against Albany, so maybe it was just fatigue late in the year. But if UK can push him away from the basket, Stony Brook is in a lot of trouble and the outside shooters need to all be on point.

Fjordson

Not sure what to expect from UK this year. They could go deep because of the backcourt, but I can also see us not making it out of the weekend. Been sort of a bummer year outside of watching Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray.

UK's frontcourt is pretty weak so it wouldn't shock me if he had a big game.

Been a Michigan State fan since 2000 (First year I watched the tournament). Here's hoping they can topple Kansas, who I think is the team to beat this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There comes a time in every game when the average team thinks about putting in a substitute.

Alternate text:

Justise Winslow is not walking through that door. Jahlil Okafor is not walking through that door.

Jah is having surgery to repair a minor meniscus tear so he's not walking through any doors right now.

nillapuddin

not guaranteeing a duke FF, I'm just saying, I can see it

I dont know how Oregon plays, but like I said, the tournament is only about matchups, and I know nothing about them

edit: from what I understand yall have like no bench anymore (havent seen Duke since we played)

Gorillaz

this bracket all sorts of busted as fuck and that's not even because OSU is a rebuilding/scrub year either

edit: will be cool to see Mich st hopefully make it far this time

nillapuddin

RPI and KenPom
GhrfdNs.png

Poor Purdue

Purdue is one of the top 5 teams I would hate to play against in the whole field

I think their Big Guys could down us

nillapuddin

yeah, also. For reference Witchita RPI was T-49

edit: But just like Cal said, misseeding teams lower than they should be doesnt hurt them, as much as it does the seeds around them.

Im sure UNC and IU were thrilled when UK got a crash course with both of them pre-sweet 16

not guaranteeing a duke FF, I'm just saying, I can see it

I dont know how Oregon plays, but like I said, the tournament is only about matchups, and I know nothing about them

edit: from what I understand yall have like no bench anymore (havent seen Duke since we played)

Duke lost 1 to injury and now they just play 7 guys. Last year, they only played 8, but it was a much better 8. For reference, last year's #8 was Grayson Allen, who is this year's #1 (or 1b, depending on how Brandon Ingram is going).

Additionally, of this year's 7, they play 1 of them only out of necessity because Marshall Plumlee can't play 40 (even if has the stamina, he'll get in foul trouble). So it's really a 6 man rotation with a life preserver and not much wiggle room if Allen or Ingram get into foul trouble, who otherwise might play 39-40 minutes each.

watdaeff4

The coaches poll has no bearing on reality, its incredibly biased to big name programs. The tournament rankings are based on actual statistical metrics like RPI and strength of schedule.

RPI is incredibly flawed.

Personally, I like KenPom much better.

EDIT: BTW< I agree with your concern regarding the coaches poll. Not disagreeing with that, just I wish the selection committee didn't put so much weight on RPI when there are better indicators out there.

lW3HDPg.png

I don't see the problem.
LOL, nice work

nillapuddin

Duke lost 1 to injury and now they just play 7 guys. Last year, they only played 8, but it was a much better 8. For reference, last year's #8 was Grayson Allen, who is this year's #1 (or 1b, depending on how Brandon Ingram is going).

Additionally, of this year's 7, they play 1 of them only out of necessity because Marshall Plumlee can't play 40 (even if has the stamina, he'll get in foul trouble). So it's really a 6 man rotation with a life preserver and not much wiggle room if Allen or Ingram get into foul trouble, who otherwise might play 39-40 minutes each.

so.... basically UKs team

Only Ulis and Murray score consistently, hope that Willis/Poythrees comes to play, and pray that anyone at the 5 can be a net neutral at least.

Ulis has to play 40, Murray/Briscoe 35+ and then just hope that anybody else can stay in the game

Poythrees, Lee, Skal all get in foul trouble every. single. game.

If Tyler Ulis is not on this team, we are an NIT team, if at any point he is in foul trouble, we are screwed

suberzat

Which #16 seed do everyone thinks has the best chance of upsetting a #1 seed?

I going with Southern to finish what they started in 2013.

Proelite

so.... basically UKs team

Only Ulis and Murray score consistently, hope that Willis/Poythrees comes to play, and pray that anyone at the 5 can be a net neutral at least.

Ulis has to play 40, Murray/Briscoe 35+ and then just hope that anybody else can stay in the game

Poythrees, Lee, Skal all get in foul trouble every. single. game.

If Tyler Ulis is not on this team, we are an NIT team, if at any point he is in foul trouble, we are screwed

Well in that case UK will be losing to UNC. :(

Why UK-GAF mad tho? Duke isn't even that good this year and got placed with the best 13 out in the West.

The only solid the committee did Duke was placing Maryland in another region. Because if K had his way, Duke will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever play the Turtles ever again.

RPI is incredibly flawed.

Personally, I like KenPom much better.

EDIT: BTW< I agree with your concern regarding the coaches poll. Not disagreeing with that, just I wish the selection committee didn't put so much weight on RPI when there are better indicators out there.
It seems like they have been shying away from it a little and going more towards "who have you beat" but RPI could definitely be improved upon.

Fjordson

Why UK-GAF mad tho? Duke isn't even that good this year and got placed with the best 13 out in the West.

The only solid the committee did Duke was placing Maryland in another region. Because if K had his way, Duke will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever play the Turtles ever again.
I'm not too mad because I don't think this UK team is all that great, so it's not like they would have won the title as the 3 seed instead of a 4. I'm just bugged about the general idea of the conference tourney not factoring at all into seeding. I mean shit, Calipari should just play walk-ons for 40 minutes next year. Why risk injury on what is essentially an exhibition game?

wbsmcs

In a relatively small pool (~25-30 people)

Got my FF as Cal, Oregon, Mich St, UNC with Mich St winning.

I'll obviously need Mich St to win to win the pool, but the only other outcome I feel I would need would be Cal in the final four. If I were to choose Kansas just say, I would need a lot more of my picks to come through.

nillapuddin

Well in that case UK will be losing to UNC. :(

In Ulis I trust

its not that, its...

I'm not too mad because I don't think this UK team is all that great, so it's not like they would have won the title as the 3 seed instead of a 4. I'm just bugged about the general idea of the conference tourney not factoring at all into seeding. I mean shit, Calipari should just play walk-ons for 40 minutes next year. Why risk injury on what is essentially an exhibition game?

that.

Im not mad that Duke is what it is, and I dont particularily care about our seeding in the scheme of things, A&M and Duke are just the most relatable instances for us, both teams weve beaten and have similar if not better stats in almost all categories, and both of those teams got seemingly "easier" paths and higher seeds.

The outcomes of the games will likely be the same, teams are only as good as they are, the whole selection criteria is just such bullshit. Some years its RPI, other Top 50 wins, other times Road Wins, blah blah.

They basically manipulate the wording to whatever they want in order to make the bracket they want to make based on emotion, rivalries and money.

Like Fjordson said, the SEC championship game was just the icing on the cake, I was thinking (and alot of people, personalities, analysts were) that we were trending to a 3 for sure and had a chance with some losses above us to be a low 2, instead we are the third 4 seed.
I know they would have never allowed us to be in Louisville, but that would have been amazinggggggg. FF guarantee

nillapuddin

Kansas: 5-1
Michigan State: 11-2
North Carolina: 7-1
Kentucky: 10-1
Virginia: 12-1
Oklahoma: 14-1
Oregon: 14-1
Villanova: 18-1
Duke: 25-1
West Virginia: 25-1
Xavier: 28-1
Indiana: 33-1
Maryland: 33-1
Miami (Florida): 33-1
Purdue: 33-1
Texas A&M: 33-1
Arizona: 40-1
California: 40-1
Connecticut: 50-1
Iowa State: 50-1
Utah: 50-1

Games begin tonight on truTV, all times eastern.

6:30 PM FGCU/Farleigh Dickinson
9:00 PM Vanderbilt/Wichita State

(These do not count in the Yahoo bracket, you still have until 12:15pm EDT Thursday to get those in.)

Azerth

so can someone explain something to me.

why is a bracket called the "south" bracket but teams are playing there games in north east?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom