• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This Duke team will be one of the big mysteries of the season. They have the potential to be a dark horse Sweet 16 team or be a eight seed that crash out of the tourney in the first round.

They won't get beat down by Minnesota though. (Unless you mean physically beat down, in which case, they are a B1G team)

Too bad Rodney Hood can't play this year. Somebody move his momma to Durham and get her sick with swine flu or something. Its for the greater good.

I'm actually excited for this team. The pressure is all on NC State. If QC shines at PG, we'll surprise some people.

chris121580

<========= Player of the year. I'm excited about being ranked in the pre season top 5, number 1 for some places but I'd rather fly under the radar like last year. This year we have a huge target on our back and all kinds of pressure. The Big 10 is going to be ridiculously good this year too

Bowser

<========= Player of the year. I'm excited about being ranked in the pre season top 5, number 1 for some places but I'd rather fly under the radar like last year. This year we have a huge target on our back and all kinds of pressure. The Big 10 is going to be ridiculously good this year too

The only teams who revel in the "under the rader/underdog" roles are the ones who aren't used to success and can't take the pressure.

I'd always rather be the favorite because it means one thing - you're winning.

chris121580

The only teams who revel in the "under the rader/underdog" roles are the ones who aren't used to success and can't take the pressure.

I'd always rather be the favorite because it means one thing - you're winning.
I agree with that. Last season was fun because we were just happy making the tournament. No one expected us to make the Sweet 16 and I still think we played Kentucky better than anyone else in the tournament minus the fact they went to the free throw line 30 or 40 times that game. This season fans and people all across the country have expectations for this team and I really want them to be able to deliver. It's a really exciting time to be a Hoosier fan but at the same time I'm doing my very best to keep my expectations in check

They're going to be great this year and very dangerous now that Mbakwe is back and healthy. Rodney Williams is only going to continue to get better too

Yeah. Williams improved his shooting and decision making a lot last year. The only weak link is Joe Coleman who is the complete opposite. The dude makes horrible decisions especially late in games when it matters the most. He also can't make a shot outside of layup to save his life.

chris121580

Yeah. Williams improved his shooting and decision making a lot last year. The only weak link is Joe Coleman who is the complete opposite. The dude makes horrible decisions especially late in games when it matters the most. He also can't make a shot outside of layup to save his life.

I totally agree. Minnesota fans had such high expectations for Williams coming in and I feel like he's starting to meet those. He put the team on his back quite a few times last year and you could see him improve every game. He's a very dangerous player and both the Hollins guys are fantastic shooters. I think they could very easily sneak in as a top 3 finisher in the Big 10

Too bad Rodney Hood can't play this year. Somebody move his momma to Durham and get her sick with swine flu or something. Its for the greater good.

I'm actually excited for this team. The pressure is all on NC State. If QC shines at PG, we'll surprise some people.

That's true. State will inevitably crumble under the pressure.

Bowser

Do any UNC players wear Hello Kitty shirts under their jerseys?

No but they do like Dr. Seuss

tumblr_m9mlz3u4671r4e5zuo1_400.jpg

Crisco

Banned
God, NC State being ranked so high has me terrified. Last season was great because expectations were tempered at best. This year can only end in disappointment.

Hoping the Gators continue to have success, minus the Elite Eight choking.

Haven't really followed recruiting, so I'm not sure how this team will stack up.

I'll be at as many games as I can regardless. Go Gators!

DominoKid

Its fun going into a season with no expectations.
Excited to see what Roy does with this bunch. If he's smart we'll play more like a K team. Outside in. I just hope they arent soft mentally & physically like the last 2 seasons. The personalities and skillsets on this team give me hope. No more wack ass Harrison Barnes. Were all drunk off the PJ.

As far as the conference, I still expect to win the ACC.I expect State to do some typical State shit and be a disappointment. I'll enjoy that when it happens.

Nationally, who knows what to expect. Anybody could win it all.

thefro

I'm scared for my life now that Frank Martin has left.. I have little faith in this man...

coachweber.jpg

He'll be fine until he has to rely on his own players. He's a better bench coach than Self, having seen them both in a row in the B1G at Illinois (and I told this to my cousins the Kansas grads from Topeka).

The meltdown in a few years will be epic unless a couple of his assistants can really recruit.

LegoDad

Wat

Where did he go?

South Carolina.

He'll be fine until he has to rely on his own players. He's a better bench coach than Self, having seen them both in a row in the B1G at Illinois (and I told this to my cousins the Kansas grads from Topeka).

The meltdown in a few years will be epic unless a couple of his assistants can really recruit.

I feel like Bruce and Self played similarly though, where was Frank Martin played much differently. I hope this will improve our offense and keep the defense where it was. We could be dangerous if everything gels together as we bring everyone back. After this year, etc, i'm scared shitless though.

For basketball? Y'all have a good shot but IU is right there with ya. Depending on how our team shakes out it'll be a close call.

But for BCS...jack and fucking coke. Come on bro, we've talked hoops here for years and I know you guys, and I know y'all aren't drinking that kool-aid.
It's not delusional if it's still an actual possibility.

A soon-to-be Top 5 basketball program and a 5-0 football team that still has yet to play a complete game...sky is the limit.

You never know how the title picture will shake up...we'll be favored in most of the games we play, if we can win out, who's to say we can't make history? Prove how flawed the system is for trying to exclude us :jnc

TheNatural

My Member!
lol BE is still going to be among the elite of the BB conferences. I guess moving from number 1 to 2 or 3. ND has been solid but not spectacular at the very least. Getting in Memphis and Temple greatly limits the damage of losing the historical programs in Cuse and Pitt. It's still a "great" BB conference.

That said, I'll enjoy UCF's final season in CUSA under a postseason ban. :(

Agreed. Syracuse was the only team of the three I actually enjoyed watching - and who knows how they'll be once Boeheim retire probably in 3-4 years?

Pitt and Notre Dame, good riddance. Quality programs, but I really, really got sick of the Pitt grab and grind basketball and most importantly - the Notre Dame burn (your eyes out) offense. Not forgetting West Virginia either, who is now gone. Playing GTown, Cincy, and USF is more than enough of that style. I feel it's become more of a hindrance than a help to play these types of teams all the time when it comes tourney time.

They can take their 40 point ball control offenses to the ACC. Big East might fall off the totem poll to the ACC as far as prestige goes, but the conference get a hell of a lot more watchable now.

Crisco

Banned
Paige (6-0, 157 pounds) earned McDonald&#8217;s All-America honors after averaging 28.1 points per game at Linn-Mar High School in Marion, Iowa. The freshman was limited in the spring after suffering a stress fracture in his left foot.

Is this real? Dude won't be able to guard anyone and will have trouble finishing around the rim. Hope he's a good shooter.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is this real? Dude won't be able to guard anyone and will have trouble finishing around the rim. Hope he's a good shooter.

Probably an old weight. Rivals lists Glenn Robinson at 192lbs but Beilein says he's up to 210lbs now.

If not that would make him 18lbs lighter than Trey Burke was last year and 33lbs lighter than Burke is now.

DominoKid

LOL I really thought he was gonna be typical stubborn Roy and start Dex.

That's his size but I'm not worried about it. It's not like Kendall was ever able to guard anyone and he was the best PG in the country. Paige is an improved version of Kendall in pretty much every way except size. Quicker, better finisher, better shooter, passing is about even. Really excited to see him.

Reading about UK's Midnight Madness made me a lil, lil salty...but I had to go in on this quote.

Nearly 600 tents were pitched outside Memorial Coliseum for distribution of free tickets on Sept. 22, which were gone in a half-hour.

Michael Gibson was among those camping out the previous four days, something he's done for "about six, seven years" by his count.
Gillespie era it was pick up the tickets at night with no line with a bag over your head

Stop lying!

I'm happy with my Cards, though. Media day was awesome.

Troll

Banned
Love the midnight madness, shit is awesome.

I'm calling it right now, UNLV gets the title this year. Sorry golden gophers. Maybe next year.

scoobs

Excited for this year because it might be one of the last we have with at least SOME parity among all the elite programs. Next year and probably every year following, Kentucky is going to have NBA teams. Have you seen their potential '13 recruiting class? They're literally going to be more talented than about 4-5 nba teams. Overall recruit #1 (wiggins if he reclassifies, which he will), #2 randle, #4 (harrison, #5 Young, #6 Harrison. NEAT.

mbmonk

Reading about UK's Midnight Madness made me a lil, lil salty...but I had to go in on this quote.

Gillespie era it was pick up the tickets at night with no line with a bag over your head

Stop lying!

It has made you quite salty apparently. I think this the at least the second time you made completely fabricated comments related to fan support during the Gilespie era. UK led the nation in attendance both years he was at UK.

Now to specifically address camping out for midnight madness.. here is a exert from a 2008 article
Kentucky fans love Big Blue Madness. There will be more than 23,000 of them Friday night at Rupp Arena, and some occupied ticket lines for weeks to have the opportunity to be there.

Wildcats coach Billy Gillispie, though, decided to see if he could make this enterprise a bit more rewarding for the Wildcats. By saving this week's allotted two hours of skill work and spending it all on Big Blue Madness, he sacrificed the chance to incrementally improve the team. But by getting Madness done Friday, the Wildcats will be able to get right into the business of preparing for real when practice officially opens a week later.

And here is a second article from 2008 titled "Madness goers set up camp"

It has made you quite salty apparently. I think this the at least the second time you made completely fabricated comments related to fan support during the Gilespie era. UK led the nation in attendance both years he was at UK.

Now to specifically address camping out for midnight madness.. here is a exert from a 2008 article

And here is a second article from 2008 titled "Madness goers set up camp"
UK fans paid for it on the court, Louisville fans paid for it with Edgar Sosa.

Kentucky fans in Louisville went on radio silence, apparently not as bad as the state of incommunicado for the football program right now, though.

I have more respect for the Hoosiers across the river at this point...

mbmonk

UK fans paid for it on the court, Louisville fans paid for it with Edgar Sosa.

Kentucky fans in Louisville went on radio silence, apparently not as bad as the state of incommunicado for the football program right now, though.

I have more respect for the Hoosiers across the river at this point...

I am glad you admit you were completely full of it and people did camp out. Thanks.

EDIT: Sports radio? If you listen to sports radio that is your first problem. Sports radio is the gathering place for idiots and shitty logic. If I wanted to show someone examples of the use of the informal fallacies of logic, I would just turn on sports radio and tell the person to listen.

thefro

Just bought a bunch of tickets to the 2nd/3rd round in Dayton... if IU doesn't go there I can always scalp them to UK fans and make $$$$. :)

Got my tickets for 2nd/3rd round games at the Palace.

Ticketmaster sucked, and StubHub had unacceptable selections, so I went with PrimeSport

Pollux

Just bought a bunch of tickets to the 2nd/3rd round in Dayton... if IU doesn't go there I can always scalp them to UK fans and make $$$$. :)

If IU doesn't make it there keep me in mind and sell them to a fellow GAFer first...

DominoKid

LNWR scrimmage impressions

PJ ready. He'll run hot and cold but he ready.
Paige is really ready.
Joel is surprisingly ready.
McAdoo looked like shit. Really alarming.

Amory

First season in a looooong time without Jimmy at the helm :(

Oh well, it was time to move on. Hopefully Ollie does a good job for the Huskies. Excited to see what Omar Calhoun can do...

Top Bottom