• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

mbmonk

Strickland didn't play - precaution. He's practicing today

Strick didnt play.

didnt really notice anything from McDonald. he played well in the summer pro-am games though. he'll probably be our most consistent 2 on offense this year.

Thank you both.

I am interested to see McDonald play. Bullock or Hairston really need to improve their play. I heard Hairston only shot 27% from 3. That is amazingly low for a kid who has what appears to be a beautiful stroke.

mbmonk

There is actually a pretty good write up on the first two UK practices over at Cal's website.

It's interesting for me to see how Cal evaluates each players strengths and weakness. And also to hear what role he envisions a player filling on the team. Not to mention his drills and how he runs practice in general.

Calipari ended practice with the five-minute shooting drill. For those that haven’t read one of these reports before, it’s fairly simple. With five minutes on the clock, the players – usually six guards or small forwards – shoot until the buzzer sounds. It was the first time they have done it this year, so I wasn’t expecting any Darius Miller-like numbers (Miller routinely finished with 50 or more, and sometimes approached 70). Wiltjer was consistently hitting in the 60s at the end of last year and made exactly 60 Saturday morning. Mays, who will be counted on heavily to hit shots this season, also nailed 60 in his first-ever five-minute shooting drill. In the afternoon sessions, Wiltjer followed up with 62 makes and Mays hit 60 again. For perspective, Calipari considers 50 a good number and 60 is at an NBA level.

A good chunk of practice was spent on how to run the break, in particular positioning on the court. The premise of the Dribble Drive Motion Offense is to beat your man off the dribble and take it to the hoop as quickly as possible, but none of it works without proper spacing. Based off Saturday’s morning session, there are going to be some growing pains early. Guys weren’t exactly sure where they were supposed to run on more than one occasion. One key thing he wants them to do when they’ve got five guys running together on the break is have two running wide. Generally speaking, he wants Noel and Mays on the opposite side of the ball.
Why? Anyone have any insight on this?

I noticed in the afternoon that nearly every offense set they ran, Wiltjer is the trailer. As Calipari said in his preseason Q and A with the media, Wiltjer could play a role similar to what Larry Bird did late in his career. If the Cats push it and nothing is there, they can kick it out to Wiltjer, who can then shoot the 3, pull up for the 15-footer or get into pick-and-roll.
I think it will more than likely be a Pick-and-Pop instead of Pick-and-Roll.

The second half of practice focused on individual defensive principles, starting with lunges. The players would run in place and wait for assistant coach John Robic’s signal to make a lunge. They did this back and forth from sideline to sideline. The object is to beat your man with the ball to the spot he’s trying to get to. “When they do drive, you’ve got to stay in front, “ Calipari said. “If you can’t lunge, you’re not going to be able to stay in front.” Later, while trying to teach Noel and Cauley-Stein to stick their leg out to lunge, Calipari said, “I know you think it looks goofy, but if you do that, no one is going around you. He’s running into your waist.” Calipari said Cauley-Stein did pretty good for his first day, but he wants him to bend his knees more and get down on defense. Right now he’s playing too straight up.

There is just too much interesting information to quote. If anyone knows of a similar article from or about coaches please link or PM me.

I recorded IU's practice, but what I have watched so far ( 20 minutes? ) it's kind of shitty thanks to ESPN. I can hardly hear or see anything related to the actual practice. So far it's just been the ESPN cast members talking. I want to hear the coaches and players.. otherwise just host the show from the studio :p. I hope it gets better.

I am recording Duke's practice in a couple of days. So I am hoping the broadcasts spends more time showing the coaches and drills.

Went to the Ohio State at Indiana game and went inside Assembly Hall while waiting for the game to start. Went way up to the top to find a door unlocked and watched the IU team practiced for a bit, first time in Assembly hall, never realized how big/tall it was.

thefro

Went to the Ohio State at Indiana game and went inside Assembly Hall while waiting for the game to start. Went way up to the top to find a door unlocked and watched the IU team practiced for a bit, first time in Assembly hall, never realized how big/tall it was.

Yeah, the balcony's literally about 4-5 stories up above the court. It's a shock the first time you go up there. They're not as bad of seats as some people claim but they're not great. Also some seats at the top of the lower level that where the balcony used to block your view of the scoreboard (before they put the new one in).

tVfKU.jpg

The other thing that always strikes me is that it's a very unimpressive building from the outside.

I will miss it whenever they replace it in about another 20 years or so. It's a unique building with a unique look.

mbmonk

Duke's youngest Plumlee hurt...

Duke redshirt freshman forward Marshall Plumlee will miss 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture in his left foot, according to reports by CBSSports.com and ESPNU.

Marshall is the youngest of the Plumlee brothers. Mason, the middle brother, is currently a Duke senior who averaged nearly a double-double (11.1 points and 9.2 rebounds per game) last season. Miles, the oldest, was drafted in the first round of the 2012 NBA draft.

Bowser

Haha, given recent history, a UNC fan shouldn't be calling any other school "dirty". But yeah, I got my degree from there.

I didn't mean dirty as in cheating, I meant dirty as in unwashed.

Swine, if you will.

:p

My sister graduated from State and I from UNC, so we've got a healthy rivalry even within the family.

Crisco

Banned
I didn't mean dirty as in cheating, I meant dirty as in unwashed.

Swine, if you will.

:p

My sister graduated from State and I from UNC, so we've got a healthy rivalry even within the family.

Ah, the ole' split household, that's fun. Hopefully your sister gets a chance to talk some shit this year ;) Since Roy became the coach, I think we've beaten UNC a grand total of once, with actual competitive games coming few and far between.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If everyone stays healthy, we have a good chance of living up to the preseason hype. Most of my friends are outright terrified at the expectations being placed on us, but what the hell, it's better than being predicted to finish in the bottom half of the league like most of the Lowe era.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Wonderful. Zoubek had a similar reoccurring injury during his sophomore and junior seasons that kept him from really hitting his full potential until the second half of his senior year (perfect timing, though).

Hopefully Marshall has better luck and a fuller recovery.

TheNatural

My Member!
A10 predictions since their media day was today:

Saint Joseph's garnered 434 total points and 11 first-place votes to edge out second-place Saint Louis, which had 10 first-place votes and 432 points. The Hawks finished 20-14 overall and 9-7 in the A-10 last season and return all five starters from that team. SJU also led all teams with five players selected for preseason awards. Saint Louis, chosen second in the preseason poll, finished at 12-4 last year in the A-10 and 26-8 overall. The Billikens came within four points of upsetting No. 1 Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament last season.

League newcomer VCU was picked third with 410 points and three first-place votes, followed by Temple (394 points, two first-place votes), NIT Semifinalist Massachusetts (389 points, two first-place votes) and newcomer Butler (347 points, two first-place votes). La Salle was picked seventh with 281 points and Dayton tallied 264 points to earn the eighth place. Xavier (239 points) and Richmond (235 points) completed the top 10, while defending champion St. Bonaventure, Charlotte, George Washington, Fordham, Rhode Island and Duquesne rounded out the 16-team field.

Personally the conference interests me, as it's Temple's last year, the Big East may add another bball only school from the A10 to replace Notre Dame, and to see how Butler and VCU do in more dangerous waters. I can't blame George Mason from turning down the A10 though, they can basically run the CAA now and Butler and VCU are going to have a tougher schedule, so there's no auto bid right there for them.

It's a Catch 22. In the other leagues you basically had to win or be very close to winning to get in, in the A10 it's easier, but much more competitive to win the tourney.

Owensboro

it shows.

saw the lightshow w/ the court on espnu midnight madness roundup. that shit cray.

I just saw it myself. You weren't kidding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahvxEXghdPQ I won't lie, I got chills during the Tayshaun Prince part. Too bad they didn't include my favorite part of that call: "North Carolina 10, Tayshaun Prince 15!"

Quick idiotic question regarding the Final Four: When is the best time to buy tickets, and where the heck do you buy them? I keep checking the NCAA site and all they link to are seats with a "hospitality package" that pops them up to around $600+ a ticket even in the nosebleeds. I'm to damn close to Atlanta and have an easy route to a MARTA station to not go this year regardless of whoever is in it, but I'm not paying $600+ per ticket.

Owensboro

They give their football players the roadie treatment.

That's what happens when you lose a lot. They are just a normal sports-fan team when it comes to every sport that's not Basketball (lose, and no one cares). UK fans got a little spoiled making it to 5 bowls in a row and beating #1 LSU at home. I still remember the complaining about going to the Music City bowl so many times, which was funny considering it was the first time they had gone to back to back bowls since Bear Bryant was the coach.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Ah, the ole' split household, that's fun. Hopefully your sister gets a chance to talk some shit this year ;) Since Roy became the coach, I think we've beaten UNC a grand total of once, with actual competitive games coming few and far between.

I'm cautiously optimistic. If everyone stays healthy, we have a good chance of living up to the preseason hype. Most of my friends are outright terrified at the expectations being placed on us, but what the hell, it's better than being predicted to finish in the bottom half of the league like most of the Lowe era.

Another State alum? My goodness. I fear for the future of our beloved Wolfpack. 5 years into Mark Gottfried's tenure complacency will set in, and we will be reduced to mediocrity for 5 more years while he remains the coach, hanging on with the credit purchased by his recruiting and his performance during his first five years.

mbmonk

Kansas picked up a commitment from Wayne Selden yesterday. He was a top 20 recruit in both ESPN & Rivals rankings. He is rated as the #2 SF in the 2013 class.

I am surprised about how quite KU fans over this. This kid sounds like a great addition.

chris121580

Yeah, the balcony's literally about 4-5 stories up above the court. It's a shock the first time you go up there. They're not as bad of seats as some people claim but they're not great. Also some seats at the top of the lower level that where the balcony used to block your view of the scoreboard (before they put the new one in).

tVfKU.jpg

The other thing that always strikes me is that it's a very unimpressive building from the outside.

I will miss it whenever they replace it in about another 20 years or so. It's a unique building with a unique look.

Sitting in the balcony freaks me out. All of Assembly Hall is so steep. I love the history of it but I think it's time to build something new.

Also, this makes me sick. Knight only has 2 grandkids. You can't tell me he needs money this badly for them. If he doesn't want that stuff, the rings should be placed in Assembly Hall

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...d-medal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

thefro

Also, this makes me sick. Knight only has 2 grandkids. You can't tell me he needs money this badly for them. If he doesn't want that stuff, the rings should be placed in Assembly Hall

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...d-medal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Probably is going to place the money in an educational trust fund or something to avoid estate taxes on the rings, etc when he dies. He values education a lot. Pat Knight should be fine financially but not sure on Tim Knight or his wife's nieces/nephews. It actually doesn't bother me that much that he's not giving them to IU. Heck, there's a decent chance someone will buy them and donate them to IU at some point, I bet.

Sounds like a bigger version of Bradley's arena.

Never been in Bradley's arena, but from looking at pictures AH is a lot steeper and has less seating behind the baskets. Bradley's looks more like Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler's home court, as seen in "Hoosiers") in its layout.

"William Hill Race & Sports Books on Monday released its odds to win the 2013 national championship, and it has some interesting choices."

Indiana -- 6-1
Kentucky -- 7-1
Louisville -- 8-1
Michigan State -- 15-1
UCLA -- 15-1
Kansas -- 15-1
FIELD -- 15-1
Ohio State --18-1
Duke -- 20-1
Syracuse-- 20-1
Michigan -- 20-1
North Carolina -- 20-1
NC State -- 22-1
Missouri -- 30-1
Florida -- 30-1
Arizona -- 30-1
UNLV -- 30-1
More at the CBS article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...orts-book-releases-national-championship-odds

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Wonderful. Zoubek had a similar reoccurring injury during his sophomore and junior seasons that kept him from really hitting his full potential until the second half of his senior year (perfect timing, though).

Hopefully Marshall has better luck and a fuller recovery.

He's got a better PG to pass to him at least.

devilhawk

Kansas picked up a commitment from Wayne Selden yesterday. He was a top 20 recruit in both ESPN & Rivals rankings. He is rated as the #2 SF in the 2013 class.

I am surprised about how quite KU fans over this. This kid sounds like a great addition.
Was big news at Phog, Slant, WtW, KUSports, etc. KU fans have so much trust in Bill and his ability to scout talent that many just wait to see them in action. Hawks still need a big to replace Withey, but it is still early.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Looks like Vegas isn't buying into the Wolpfack hype. Might throw a couple bones down on UNC at 20-1

There are some key players on NCSU that have never played together, in a way it would not surprise me to see them struggle at some point in the season. Talent is great, but its got to mesh first. In that regard, I think we have a leg up most other teams just because we're returning most of the team. UNC will have a lot of experience too.

mbmonk

I can't wait to see Yogi play. I know UI fans might complain about me mentioning this, but Yogi's high school coach was an assistant to Cal at Memphis.

I heard quite a bit about Yogi on the high school coach's podcast, but have never seen him play. So I am excited to see what this kid is like after hearing about him so much from his coach.

mbmonk

MARCUSLEE_150_5_11.JPG

Marcus Lee announces this afternoon. He is a 6'9" PF/C ; 4 star recruit. He is rated 28th overall in his class, but 11 at his position by ESPN. This class must be stacked at the PF position :p

Supposedly he is down to Kentucky and California.

Cal apparently said on ESPN that Nerlens is cleared to play.

edit: Seems like this is misleading. UK spokesperson now saying his eligibility is unchanged and Cal was referring to the grace period.

thefro

Coaches' Poll is out!

Rank School (first-place votes) 2011-12 record Points Last year's final ranking
1 Indiana (21) 27-9 761 13
2 Louisville (5) 30-10 738 4
3 Kentucky (5) 38-2 718 1
4 Ohio State 31-8 617 3
5 Michigan 24-10 605 22
6 North Carolina State 24-13 581 20
7 Kansas 32-7 563 2
8 Duke 27-7 516 14
9 Syracuse 34-3 502 5
10 Florida 26-11 422 9
11 Arizona 23-12 411 NR
12 North Carolina 32-6 401 6
13 UCLA 19-14 396 NR
14 Michigan State 29-8 391 7
15 Creighton 29-6 325 21
16 Memphis 26-9 307 NR
17 Missouri 30-5 289 11
18 Baylor 30-8 266 8
19 UNLV 26-9 203 NR
20 San Diego State 26-8 196 NR
21 Wisconsin 26-10 191 12
22 Gonzaga 26-7 166 NR
23 Notre Dame 22-12 122 NR
24 (tie) Florida State 25-10 61 15
24 (tie) Texas 20-14 61 NR
Others receiving votes: Saint Louis (26-8) 58; Virginia Commonwealth (29-7) 40; Cincinnati (26-11) 33; Murray State (31-2) 30; Kansas State (22-11) 13; Saint Mary's (27-6) 11; New Mexico (28-7) 10; Tennessee (19-15) 10; Minnesota (23-15) 9; Pittsburgh (22-17) 9; Marquette (27-8) 8; Stanford (26-11) 7; Butler (22-15) 6; Oklahoma State (15-18) 6; Colorado State (20-12) 4; Middle Tennessee (27-7) 3; Drexel (29-7) 2; Georgia (15-17) 2; Miami (Fla.) (20-13) 2; St. Joseph's (20-14) 2; Marshall (21-14) 1.
The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2012-13 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary's; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Tim Cluess, Iona; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Steve Donahue, Boston College; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Tim Floyd, Texas-El Paso; Mark Fox, Georgia; Ben Jacobsen, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Ron "Fang" Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Saul Phillips, North Dakota State; Steve Pikiell, Stony Brook; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Andrew Toole, Robert Morris; DonVerlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UK guys, I'm hearing Randle now may be close to going with Flardy or Texas. That would be a surprise I guess.

I do appreciate that once he decided he didn't want to go to Duke he was up front about it. A lot of kids won't do that, just for hype and drama

Marleyman

Banned
UK guys, I'm hearing Randle now may be close to going with Flardy or Texas. That would be a surprise I guess.

I do appreciate that once he decided he didn't want to go to Duke he was up front about it. A lot of kids won't do that, just for hype and drama

Big Duke fan since I was a kid here; how big of an impact do you think Marshall Plumlee's injury will be? I think it actually will let Jefferson get more PT but I like what I have seen from Marshall.

Top Bottom