• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Big Duke fan since I was a kid here; how big of an impact do you think Marshall Plumlee's injury will be? I think it actually will let Jefferson get more PT but I like what I have seen from Marshall.

It depends on how much of a project he is. People forget Zoubek missed huge chunks of his freshman and sophomore years due to foot injuries and had minor injuries his junior year. Whenever anyone asked him why he was able to improve so much his senior year, the first thing he would always say is he was finally healthy.

I doubt Marshall's injury has much of an impact this season, but it could affect how much he plays when the ACC season starts and that will not be good. This team has a bit of size with Mason, Kelly, Jefferson, Hairston, even Alex Murphy. Next year this could be a horrible situation since every big player we've tried to recruit has turned us down.

Marleyman

Banned
It depends on how much of a project he is. People forget Zoubek missed huge chunks of his freshman and sophomore years due to foot injuries and had minor injuries his junior year. Whenever anyone asked him why he was able to improve so much his senior year, the first thing he would always say is he was finally healthy.

I doubt Marshall's injury has much of an impact this season, but it could affect how much he plays when the ACC season starts and that will not be good. This team has a bit of size with Mason, Kelly, Jefferson, Hairston, even Alex Murphy. Next year this could be a horrible situation since every big player we've tried to recruit has turned us down.

Thanks man; as far as big men turning us down, what else is new?

TheNatural

My Member!

I think we're better than IU, but I don't give much a crap about polls this early. Returning basically the entire team and were clearly better than anyone outside of the NBA All Rookie team last year, so I think we would beat IU. It would be a great clash of styles though, matchup for match that would be one of the best tourney games in years. Dieng vs. Zeller in the post would be awesome.

And yeah, I think UK's ranking is based more on Cal's history than the substance of the team, because these guys aren't as good as any of the past three years IMO. The class itself is just flat out down.

mbmonk

The most overrated venue in sports. Well maybe number 2 behind Wrigley field.

Shut your whore mouth!!!

My wife and I went to a game at Wrigley. Upon entering the venue, I was tearing up and was overcome by joy. My wife said... "This place is a sh*t hole".

:p

To each their own.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Shut your whore mouth!!!

My wife and I went to a game at Wrigley. Upon entering the venue, I was tearing up and was overcome by joy. My wife said... "This place is a sh*t hole".

:p

To each their own.

HAHA I have a friend who has pretty much the same exact reaction whenever I start talking about how much I hate Wrigley. Its fun to push his buttons when he is drunk. He also gets pissed when I talk shit about Michael Jordan and how he ran away from Sam Cassell for two years.

As much as I hate the Cardinals and their fans going to Cubs games in St Louis is still a much more enjoyable experience for me.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL love it.

Speaking about the impact of Syracuse and Pittsburgh's departure to the ACC next season, Pitino told reporters he doesn't believe the Big East will lose a step next season, asserting that, "Memphis and Temple will more than make up for Syracuse and Pittsburgh."

Told of Pitino's comments, Boeheim fired back at his former assistant.

"Rick is full of shit if that's what he really said," the Providence Journal reported. "[If] you think those schools are better than Syracuse for the Big East then you don't know what you're talking about and I think Rick's smarter than that. At least I thought he was."

In the past, Pitino has publicly questioned Syracuse's decision to leave the Big East for the ACC and said Boeheim was 'grandstanding,' about the Orange's move to their new conference this summer. Those comments didn't sit well with the Syracuse coach, who fired back that Louisville, too, would have left the Big East if it had the opportunity to do so.

"If [Pitino] was in the Big 12 like he wanted to be right now, he'd be saying the Big 12 was better. That's the bottom line. If Rick and Louisville could have left, they would have left. Everybody knows it," Boeheim said. "I'm really tired of hearing him say what Syracuse should have done because they would have left in a heartbeat and everybody knows it. If they're going to start talking about Syracuse, then I'm going to talk about them."

Pitino didn't rescind his comments when told about Boeheim's comments.

“I think he’s full of shit, and so we’re both full of it,” Pitino told SNY.tv. ”We’re going to miss Syracuse because they bring more than just a team. They bring the fans and Memphis and Temple can’t do that. But anybody who looks at where Memphis has been in the last 10-12 years, anybody who looks at the tradition of Temple and knows Franny Dunphy, would know I’m not full of shit.

Bring it Cuse, we're going to kick your ass yet again.

Crisco

Banned
A single digit? Next to MY NC State Wolfpack?

OMG.gif

Bowser

Thats some impossible shit, like Duke making a bowl game......oh wait.

Wouldn't be so quick to assume you guys are going to make a bowl game :p

Read you guys were 1-39 since 2004 (before the Va Tech game) against the teams you have left on your schedule. I think you'll beat GT, but that's it, finishing 6-6.

Texas cracking the top 25 is a joke. Our roster has ZERO upperclassman who have played meaningful any meaningful minutes. We are a team solely consisting of freshmen and sophomores. A roster of of underclassmen may work out for Kentucky, but not at Texas.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Failing upward baby! And yes I'll take 6-6 in a heartbeat. And yes I'm paranoid and scared shitless that we will lose all our remaining games, this is Duke football after all. With Pitt and Cuse coming in, I want the cross divisional schedule to be made to where its impossible for any Coastal team to have to play FSU and Clemson in the same year (cept Miami, they don't have a choice)

I still want the hell out of the Big East...but the tourney was always a blast every year...I'll definitely miss that.

Eh, it's not like UL has demonstrated a clear level of competition above the rest of the BE teams - and you're only a few years removed from CUSA yourselves. I think if the BE can get a respectable contract TV wise for their sports, a lot of the issues should fix themselves. Leadership finally seems to be competent at least.

Their money flow currently is clearly shit with their outdated contract. So I don't blame anyone for wanting to take the fast way out to more money, etc.

TheNatural

My Member!
Eh, it's not like UL has demonstrated a clear level of competition above the rest of the BE teams - and you're only a few years removed from CUSA yourselves. I think if the BE can get a respectable contract TV wise for their sports, a lot of the issues should fix themselves. Leadership finally seems to be competent at least.

Their money flow currently is clearly shit with their outdated contract. So I don't blame anyone for wanting to take the fast way out to more money, etc.

Uh, are you talking basketball wise? Because we've had the best record in the Big East, the toughest conference in the country, since we've joined. And basketball wise, C-USA was actually decent when we were in it - and we made the Final Four the last year in the league. Not that conference affiliation matters being a top 7 program or so all time with 90% of that time spent in a conference like the Metro or Ohio Valley. Basketball wise you're way off, but conference moves have never been about basketball in the first place.

Uh, are you talking basketball wise? Because we've had the best record in the Big East, the toughest conference in the country, since we've joined. And basketball wise, C-USA was actually decent when we were in it - and we made the Final Four the last year in the league. Not that conference affiliation matters being a top 7 program or so all time with 90% of that time spent in a conference like the Metro or Ohio Valley. Basketball wise you're way off, but conference moves have never been about basketball in the first place.
It was more overall. You're competitive in BB of course and people associate UL as a BB school first - but it isn't like you're overly dominate versus other BE teams.

TheNatural

My Member!
It was more overall. You're competitive in BB of course and people associate UL as a BB school first - but it isn't like you're overly dominate versus other BE teams.

We're the best though - and no one is 'dominant' in any really good conference. Most have said the Big East the past few years has not only been the best conference in the nation those years, but the best EVER. It would be ridiculous to say something about being a level above that competition, because no one is, period.

W1SSY

Texas cracking the top 25 is a joke. Our roster has ZERO upperclassman who have played meaningful any meaningful minutes. We are a team solely consisting of freshmen and sophomores. A roster of of underclassmen may work out for Kentucky, but not at Texas.
Preseason polls seem to usually favor well known coaches and Barnes is one of those guys. Anything below top 10 or so is guess work and even teams above that are stretching it in some cases.

Crisco

Banned

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's a bit disingenuous to say we are talked up "every single year", considering the last time I remember any hype surrounding our program was before Lowe's second year. In any case, I think Duke is the most underrated at this point. They are returning a potentially dominant senior laden roster.

He may be talking about the trash talk between players and area fans. NC State inept performances vs UNC have been frustrating for me to watch, though I think you played them better last year. Still you've played Duke far better, even getting that big win in 2010 and honestly should have won last year. Mentally it seems NCSU and Clemson just can't perform when playing UNC. I don't get it. There's nobody in the ACC that we have a comparable hold on.

Crisco

Banned
The Zeller/Henson combo was just a terrible matchup for us last year, especially defensively. We played them really well in the ACC tournament when Henson was out. Leslie could pull Zeller out of the post, face him up, and get right to the rim without Henson there to clean up. Leslie put up 22 before fouling out with more than 8 minutes left. Then we lost the game on a horrible no call when Marshall pushed one of our players to ground to get an open layup.

Bowser

The Zeller/Henson combo was just a terrible matchup for us last year, especially defensively. We played them really well in the ACC tournament when Henson was out. Leslie could pull Zeller out of the post, face him up, and get right to the rim without Henson there to clean up. Leslie put up 22 before fouling out with more than 8 minutes left. Then we lost the game on a horrible no call when Marshall pushed one of our players to ground to get an open layup.

u mad bro?

jakncoke

Banned
Im really curious to see how this years squad performs and hope our top recruit doesnt pull out on us again like fucking loser ass bagged milk. boo hoo im home sick boo hoo.. goes to unlv fuck you chocha tear a acl

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Im really curious to see how this years squad performs and hope our top recruit doesnt pull out on us again like fucking loser ass bagged milk. boo hoo im home sick boo hoo.. goes to unlv fuck you chocha tear a acl

I still can't believe Trey Zeigler is getting to play this season.

Some impressions from Countdown 2 Craziness (Duke's Midnight Madness event) last night.

+This team is BIG- I've heard all the hype about how much height this team would have, but seeing them in person made me a believer. The frontline looks huge (and that's with our tallest player sitting on the bench with crutches). Mason Plumee's at 6-10, Kelly's at 6-11, Murphy and Jefferson are both at 6-8 and Hairston's at 6-7. They all look like they've bulked up a bit too.

+Rasheed Sulaimon's stroke-So silky smooth. That dude will be a player this year.

+Rodney Hood- To borrow from Dick Vitale, this kid can flat out play. I expect him to be a prime-time player for us...in 2013.

-Quinn Cook's kinda a knucklehead-I'll chalk this up more to it being a scrimmage where you're trying to put on a show for fans, but QC ruined more than one fastbreak opportunity by trying to make the spectacular play over the simple one.

-Seth Curry's still out-His place in the white team(probably would be our starting line up if the season started today) was taken by Sulaimon.

P.S. if you've ever wondered what Cameron Indoor Stadium looks like from the first row of the student section, here you go:

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
-Quinn Cook's kinda a knucklehead-I'll chalk this up more to it being a scrimmage where you're trying to put on a show for fans, but QC ruined more than one fastbreak opportunity by trying to make the spectacular play over the simple one.

Nolan was a knucklehead too, so hopefully QC's goofiness works for him like it did for Ndot. Junior year was his breakout year too.

Nolan was a knucklehead too, so hopefully QC's goofiness works for him like it did for Ndot. Junior year was his breakout year too.

That's true. Along those lines, Quinn had a great Smith/Irving-esque drive at the end of the game where he split a hedge and laid it up as time expired.

To expand a bit more on Sulaimon, I don't think he's as good a shooter as Curry ( and he certainly won't fill the shooter-sized hole in my heart left by Dawkdog) and I don't think he's as good at driving the ball as Austin Rivers. But I think he has a good combination of those two traits and is a much better on-ball defender than either of them. I wouldn't mind if he started the season in the first five, even if Curry is able to go.

mbmonk

Some impressions from Countdown 2 Craziness (Duke's Midnight Madness event) last night.

+This team is BIG- I've heard all the hype about how much height this team would have, but seeing them in person made me a believer. The frontline looks huge (and that's with our tallest player sitting on the bench with crutches). Mason Plumee's at 6-10, Kelly's at 6-11, Murphy and Jefferson are both at 6-8 and Hairston's at 6-7. They all look like they've bulked up a bit too.

+Rasheed Sulaimon's stroke-So silky smooth. That dude will be a player this year.

+Rodney Hood- To borrow from Dick Vitale, this kid can flat out play. I expect him to be a prime-time player for us...in 2013.

-Seth Curry's still out-His place in the white team(probably would be our starting line up if the season started today) was taken by Sulaimon.

P.S. if you've ever wondered what Cameron Indoor Stadium looks like from the first row of the student section, here you go:

This is great. Thanks for posting this Grover :)

I am excited about the Duke vs UK matchup. UK has quite a bit of size as well. It's going to be a fun game to watch.

chris121580

Hoosier Hysteria was a blast. Things that I took notice of:

-Hollowell really impressed me in the scrimmage. He handles the ball really well, can shoot the 3, and rebounds well. He's still a little rough around the edges but he's going to be a fantastic backup to Watford and I see him getting lots of play time

-Yogi is ridiculously quick. I feel like he's the missing piece we've been looking for. His court awareness is phenomenal and everyone already looks to him as a leader of the offense. His shot has gotten better as well. He hit a couple 3s. He also split 2 defenders twice

-Cody looks strong as ever and he's developed a shot it seems. He ended up winning the 3 point/shooting contest.

-Creek looked surprisingly explosive and that's not something that I expected yet. His shot is ugly but it goes in. He did great in the shooting contest.

-Jurkin has a lot of work to do. His hands are terrible. I expect him to just pull down boards this year. If he can do that, I'll be happy

-What's the deal with Sheehey? Everyone seems really quiet about why he didn't play. Also, interesting to see Perea back in the boot. It was off last week

Really excited for this team and I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but it's difficult. So much talent and such a deep bench. Jordan's numbers are going to be ridiculous now that he'll be playing the 2.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is the first year since they started Countdown to Craziness I really didn't care that much about it, didn't even bother to get tickets. I'm excited for this year's team but right now its all about football. Its hard to believe.

Top Bottom