• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Pollux

I didn't watch all of it, but a little rough with lots of promise. Ball-handling and decision-making is suspect, as you'd anticipate at this point of the year.

Cal's proven he builds great teams by the end of the season, so I'm not worried at all.
Thanks for the info. How did the duo of Noel and Cauley-Stein look?
None of UK's freshman is as good as their positional counterparts that left early last year, because this class simply is just not near as good. "Building" only goes as far as how many players were already lottery projections before they even stepped foot on campus.

Agreed. However, when you lose people like Anthony Davis and MKG it's going to be damn near impossible to replace them no matter what players you're bringing in.

None of UK's freshman is as good as their positional counterparts that left early last year, because this class simply is just not near as good. "Building" only goes as far as how many players were already lottery projections before they even stepped foot on campus.

We went to the Final Four two years ago with a much lesser team. Our players actually get better once they get on campus instead of slowly getting worse and then having season ending injuries and being asked to transfer to make room for a new recruit.

TheNatural

My Member!
We went to the Final Four two years ago with a much lesser team. Our players actually get better once they get on campus instead of slowly getting worse and then having season ending injuries and being asked to transfer to make room for a new recruit.

Well the team last year before the year had 5 projected lottery picks. And you can't base a run off off of the lowest denominator and say "well we're better than then, so we'll go farther." The Wall team was better than the one two years ago too and only went to the Elite 8. Anything's possible, it's a down year, but UK looks more like a Sweet 16 team than anything else.

Gorillaz

Yea I was watching that ESPN special they did with them and I realized that this might be the first time since he's been with kentucky that the team as a whole isn't up to his "par".

Pollux

Well the team last year before the year had 5 projected lottery picks. And you can't base a run off off of the lowest denominator and say "well we're better than then, so we'll go farther." The Wall team was better than the one two years ago too and only went to the Elite 8. Anything's possible, it's a down year, but UK looks more like a Sweet 16 team than anything else.
I'm looking for the quote but you literally said the EXACT same crap last year. How'd that work out for y'all?

Face it, UL isn't going to win under Pitino, come over to the Light Side and be happy for once.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm looking for the quote but you literally said the EXACT same crap last year. How'd that work out for y'all?

Face it, UL isn't going to win under Pitino, come over to the Light Side and be happy for once.

$20 bet U of L goes further this year than UK if you're so sure. And I wouldn't trade 10 titles for ever having a piece of human waste like Calipari as our head coach, I'll stop watching college basketball if that ever happens.

Pollux

$20 bet U of L goes further this year than UK if you're so sure. And I wouldn't trade 10 titles for ever having a piece of human waste like Calipari as our head coach, I'll stop watching college basketball if that ever happens.

If UL goes farther, next time you're in/around Cincinnati I owe you a beer. If UK goes farther next time I'm in/around Louisville you owe me a beer. Sound good?

Hahaha "rock chalk jayhawk" indeed...

The Wall team was better than the one two years ago too and only went to the Elite 8. Anything's possible, it's a down year, but UK looks more like a Sweet 16 team than anything else.

Oh, they were way better. But we opened the Wall era needing a last second shot to beat Miami Ohio in Rupp. That team didn't look very good and it was the second game of the regular season. We had to pull a similar stunt to beat Stanford just a few games later. We ended up being arguably the best team at the end of the year, but that game against WVU is just how things bounce sometimes.

The entire college game is also down again this year. I don't expect us to win again this year, but hard to imagine we're not in the running.

Seth C

We have 2 players projected in the top 10 of next year's draft. Which team has more? How many does Louisville have?

I'll wait over here.

TheNatural

My Member!
We have 2 players projected in the top 10 of next year's draft. Which team has more? How many does Louisville have?

I'll wait over here.

What's your point? UK had a entire NBA All rookie team last year and the game was tied with 4 minutes left. On that all important "paper" line - UK should have blown everyone out by 30 last year, including U of L, and didn't.

If you only knew how good this felt, man. I've been a fan for 26 years, and it feels sooooo good. Being the champs? You say you wouldn't trade it for Calipari, but I would. And did. And it's AMAZING.

I'll put it this way: As bad as it feels to be a Reds fan, it feels THAT good to be a UK fan right now. Let that sink in.

Pollux

What's your point? UK had a entire NBA All rookie team last year and the game was tied with 4 minutes left. On that all important "paper" line - UK should have blown everyone out by 30 last year, including U of L, and didn't.

Who gives a shit? Winning is winning. So salty

I guess we're going to have to go 40-0 next year to even have a chance of impressing UofL fans.

I understand where they are coming from. Losing in the Final Four to your most disliked rival has to be rough. Could you imagine how it would feel if UK lost to Florida in the Final Four? That would be pretty bad.

TheNatural

My Member!
If you only knew how good this felt, man. I've been a fan for 26 years, and it feels sooooo good. Being the champs? You say you wouldn't trade it for Calipari, but I would. And did. And it's AMAZING.

I'll put it this way: As bad as it feels to be a Reds fan, it feels THAT good to be a UK fan right now. Let that sink in.

Well I wouldn't. I have a dozen other sports to follow. If I want to see some championship involving a cheating SOB I don't like, I can turn on the next UFC card. Why would I want to cheer for a bunch of hired guns I know don't give a shit about the University I cheer for and graduated from, and couldn't even find it on a map the following year?

I don't even consider that something to "own" as a fan. If a bunch of players came in, were here 5 months, and gone - I wouldn't have fun with that. I'll take a Final Four run with a loss like last year, but with a bunch of guys who have molded together over time, than a bunch of players in just to up their draft status and never return again and don't even give a shit about the school I root for. But hey, that's just me. I never want to go the Calipari root, it would ruin watching my team play at least.

Well I wouldn't. I have a dozen other sports to follow. If I want to see some championship involving a cheating SOB I don't like, I can turn on the next UFC card. Why would I want to cheer for a bunch of hired guns I know don't give a shit about the University I cheer for and graduated from, and couldn't even find it on a map the following year?

I don't even consider that something to "own" as a fan. If a bunch of players came in, were here 5 months, and gone - I wouldn't have fun with that. I'll take a Final Four run with a loss like last year, but with a bunch of guys who have molded together over time, than a bunch of players in just to up their draft status and never return again and don't even give a shit about the school I root for. But hey, that's just me. I never want to go the Calipari root, it would ruin watching my team play at least.

Calipari cheats so bad, man. I wish he'd quit cheating all those cheats he cheats.

Pollux

If you think ANY of these kids actually give a damn about your school then you're delusional. It's all about Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Under Armor. Or Pitino, Calipari, K, Self, etc. It has nothing to do with the school.

Get off the high horse.

Seth C

It's a down year. We don't have to have as much talent to compete when no one else has as much talent either. According to Draft Express we have 3 of the top 10 draft picks next year. No other team has a second pick before 20+. I'm going to consider that pretty damned good. Louisville has one guy in the second round.

Plus, you brought "projected draft picks" in to the argument, so that's the point.

Better point: Louisville returns less than 65% of an offense that was already miserable, ranking 155th in the country, from a team that frankly wasn't very good all season (a single regular season win against an opponent that finished the season ranked) and then got hot and/or lucky at the right time last year. Absolutely destroyed by 15-17 Providence, losing at home to South Florida on the last day of February, etc. Then you add to that no recruit in the Top 50?

If you hadn't overachieved at the end of last season no one would even have you in their Top 10.

Edit - Nevermind. Now I remember why I barely posted in this thread at all last season.

TheNatural

My Member!
Calipari cheats so bad, man. I wish he'd quit cheating all those cheats he cheats.

The UK hivemind can't stand anyone not sucking UK's dick in the thread. Every. Damn. Year.

"OMG SOMEONE SAID OUR TEAM THAT HAVE BEEN IN SCHOOL ALL OF TWO MONTHS ISN'T AS GOOD AS I THINK? HOW DARE THEY! *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*"

Seriously, can you guys chill with the Cats Pause rabble once for a change? I didn't say shit about UK except I don't think this class is as good as any of the recent ones, and that's not *just* me, a U of L fan, saying that. You say one thing, the drudge siren has to go up and all you Cats Pause loons have to convene like the Salmon of Capistrano.

Shit, give it a fucking rest. Who are you defending anyway? A bunch of guys who five months from now will be ex-players? What does it really matter? It's stupid.

The UK hivemind can't stand anyone not sucking UK's dick in the thread. Every. Damn. Year.

"OMG SOMEONE SAID OUR TEAM THAT HAVE BEEN IN SCHOOL ALL OF TWO MONTHS ISN'T AS GOOD AS I THINK? HOW DARE THEY! *rabble* *rabble* *rabble*"

Seriously, can you guys chill with the Cats Pause rabble once for a change? I didn't say shit about UK except I don't think this class is as good as any of the recent ones, and that's not *just* me, a U of L fan, saying that. You say one thing, the drudge siren has to go up and all you Cats Pause loons have to convene like the Salmon of Capistrano.

Shit, give it a fucking rest. Who are you defending anyway? A bunch of guys who five months from now will be ex-players? What does it really matter? It's stupid.

The only thing we're defending is the National Championship, I guess.

(Catspause is an illiterate cesspool. )

TheNatural

My Member!
The only thing we're defending is the National Championship, I guess.

We? What number you have?

Oh you mean the team. Well good luck to that one guy that averaged 0.8 a game or whatever last year. I'm sure he'll be ready to defend the NBA Rookie team's honor this year.

Talon

Phenomenal. Would read again.

Pollux

Good comeback. I'll wait for all the shit talking from all the players who showed in the box score against U of L last year though. Should be plenty.
This UL does it te right way crap is exhausting. There is no such thing as a legit student athlete in D1 men's basketball. Get that through your head and stop acting like you're doing it the right way. All you're doing is doing it the losing way.

Owensboro

Hey, hey.....hey guys...

How about us folks from Kentucky just suck it up and cheer for ALL Kentucky teams this year? Does every conversation about the Commonwealth's teams have to boil down to Calapari is a cheater and Pitino liking Porcini's?

I swear to god I must be the only person who lived in the state who roots for every Kentucky team to win it's games. I root for UK in direct match ups, but you can bet your ass I was rooting for The Hilltoppers, The Racers, and The Cards to make it as far as possible in March. I'm still pissed that WKU had to play UK in the 16-1 match up.

Aww hell, who am I kidding. I'm probably going to be called names for not being "a true fan" of UK for wishing UofL well.

Hey, hey.....hey guys...

How about us folks from Kentucky just suck it up and cheer for ALL Kentucky teams this year? Does every conversation about the Commonwealth's teams have to boil down to Calapari is a cheater and Pitino liking Porcini's?

I swear to god I must be the only person who lived in the state who roots for every Kentucky team to win it's games. I root for UK in direct match ups, but you can bet your ass I was rooting for The Hilltoppers, The Racers, and The Cards to make it as far as possible in March. I'm still pissed that WKU had to play UK in the 16-1 match up.

Aww hell, who am I kidding. I'm probably going to be called names for not being "a true fan" of UK for wishing UofL well.

Don't look into it too much. We're just having fun. Come April next year we'll all be buddies again.

Seth C

Say what you want, but you're the only person in this entire thread I've ever considered putting on ignore. Not any other Louisville fan, no Kansas fan, no UNC fan, no Duke fan. Just you. Perhaps you're the problem?

TheNatural

My Member!
This UL does it te right way crap is exhausting. There is no such thing as a legit student athlete in D1 men's basketball. Get that through your head and stop acting like you're doing it the right way. All you're doing is doing it the losing way.

I don't give a fuck about 'right' or 'wrong' way. It's about actually giving a shit about who I root for. I used to be the biggest NBA fan as a kid, then when fat cat Krause blew up the best dynasty of all time for no reason, I stopped watching the NBA. So did a lot of other people. I don't see how people can watch the NBA. One or two short term performers like a Marco Scutaro this year for the Giants is fine, or like a Greg Vaughn ala 99 for the Reds is cool. But what, I'm supposed to get hyped because some All Star is playing for his 5th team and it so happens to be *mine* this year? It's stupid.

Why should I waste my time and effort caring, defending, and kissing the ass of a bunch of players that are "my" team for 5 months? I wouldn't. You can say whatever you want, but there's plenty of reasons why I still hear UK fans talking about "The Unforgettables", Jamal Mashburn, the 1996 team, and so on - so it obviously matters. Even with a title I've even heard from some UK fans how the lack of attachment to players took some fun out of it, even from people in this thread last year as I recall.

Attachment goes a long way in rooting for a sports team, and I see no point to even follow a sport if that's what my team becomes, just like the NBA became to me. What exactly is the difference now between being a Kentucky fan, and just being a fan who picks a new team to root for every single year? Nothing really, because the players are always different in both cases.

PS - And I'm not saying this shit to say how anyone should think as a fan. I don't give a fuck what reason anyone chooses to watch a sport, but this stuff does matter to me, and my team I root for ever got to the point of what a Calipari program is, or how an NBA team is, I just wouldn't watch the sport anymore. So cut with the "ur just salty" crap. College basketball isn't the only sport in the world, and it's already not run very well as is.

Oh, well that stinks. We should all be buddies because BASKETBALL IS BACK! God I can't wait to go to the MichSt vs Kansas and UK vs Duke games in 11 days.

Yeah. A lot of question marks moving forward. I'm most interested in seeing how Indiana does this year. Really wish UK was playing them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Speaking of meaningless exhibition games Michigan rolled over Northern Michigan 83-47 tonight without Trey Burke (suspension) or Jon Horford (injury).

The big surprise of the night was Burke's new back up Spike Albrecht going off for 16 points and 6 assists. Granted it was against a bad DIII school but I'll still take it from a true freshman nobody had ever heard of until April. Spike is only going to be expected to play 5-10 minutes a game but its nice to know he can knock down a shot or two if needed.

Nik Stauskas who I mentioned earlier in the thread led all scorers with 17 points on 5-of-8 (4-6 3pt) shooting.

Oh, well that stinks. We should all be buddies because BASKETBALL IS BACK! God I can't wait to go to the MichSt vs Kansas and UK vs Duke games in 11 days.

That would be titties. I got to see Illinois vs Arizona and Texas (Durant's year in Austin) vs Gonzaga several years ago but that pales in comparison to what you will be seeing.

AutumnAve

I hope UA surprises the SEC, they're a more sound team this year, hopefully. And I hope my UALR Trojans make some noise in the Sun Belt this year. :)

devilhawk

Say what you want, but you're the only person in this entire thread I've ever considered putting on ignore. Not any other Louisville fan, no Kansas fan, no UNC fan, no Duke fan. Just you. Perhaps you're the problem?
I must not be arguing with you enough then.

mbmonk

Put him on ignore ( though you still have to see his posts when someone else quotes it unfortunately ) and post in the thread more often.

Crisco

Banned
Calipari definitely cheated his ass off at Memphis. I'm sure he's clean as a whistle at UK though. Especially now that he's won an NC, he simply doesn't need to cheat anymore. "Come play for me for a year, win a national championship, become a lottery pick". That's about as good of a pitch as it gets.

chris121580

Man, I know it's exhibition but IU had a very rocky start last night. Loved seeing Creek play well last night though(leading scorer with 12) and we really picked it up in the second half. The ball was distributed pretty evenly among players. Once again I'm really impressed with Hollowell. Huge concern that Hulls had 0 points. Completely unlike him

TheNatural

My Member!
Man, I know it's exhibition but IU had a very rocky start last night. Loved seeing Creek play well last night though(leading scorer with 12) and we really picked it up in the second half. The ball was distributed pretty evenly among players. Once again I'm really impressed with Hollowell. Huge concern that Hulls had 0 points. Completely unlike him

::Checks score::

You won by 29 LOL. I don't think that's too much to be concerned with.

IU and Louisville will be a good discussion all year, I wish the series could have got started this year with Calipari backing out, but I think we'll play starting next season.

chris121580

::Checks score::

You won by 29 LOL. I don't think that's too much to be concerned with.

IU and Louisville will be a good discussion all year, I wish the series could have got started this year with Calipari backing out, but I think we'll play starting next season.

lol I'm sure it's just me over analyzing but we were down by 10 at one point in the first half. Like I said, really rocky start

Top Bottom