• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

pieface

Saw PJ Harvey tonight, beautiful performance. Recommended to see if she comes to your area.

Seeing Peej tonight, can't wait

Read the past few pages of this thread, added 3 bands to my library to listen too. I love this thread.

Listening to Big Thief right now, sounds ace so far.

big ander

Have you guys been paying attention to Maggie Rogers? She's great.

Alaska's catchy as shit. I tried to resist it and couldn't. Great video too. don't like Dog Years nearly as much, and haven't heard her early folk records, but I'll be there when she drops an lp

Futureman

Black Lips...

"Last night had us feeling a certain type of way, so we made an anarcho style punk song.
https://soundcloud.com/cole-alexander-6/election-night-r1"

can't wait for a new album from them.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Saw Kate Tempest and Tortoise live yesterday (in a festival curated by Savages). Let Them Eat Chaos is probably my album of the year, and that gig confirms it.

Tortoise was amazing! I was in the front row so the drums made quite the impression, especially when two guys were going at it. They closed with Crest, which is my favorite song.

Today was sold out so I can't see Savages. tbh though I thought their new album was kind of a letdown after the incredible debut. 'Evil' of the new one seemed to recapture that feeling, but the rest... meh.

Linius

Canshaker Pi's debut LP released on spotify/tidal etc. last friday. Loving the shit out of it, channeling that 90's indie rock. Stephen Malkmus produced the record by the way.

Jals

Bonox

mlDQDG6.jpg

Check these guys out

I never thought Donald Glover had that soulful voice in him.

More of that on the next Childish Gambino record and it'll probably be one of my favourite records next year. "Me and your Mama" might be my favourite song this year.

Also the new XX single has "In Colour"'s influence all over it, looking forward to the new record as well.

overcast

Fleet Foxes updated their cover photo on Facebook (historic volcanic eruption). Somebody commented "new album?" To which they responded "alllmost done".

On top of that they announced they're playing a festival in July. It's happening finally.

Linius

Fleet Foxes updated their cover photo on Facebook (historic volcanic eruption). Somebody commented "new album?" To which they responded "alllmost done".

On top of that they announced they're playing a festival in July. It's happening finally.

Yes this I'm looking forward to!

Meier

I've been pimping The Boxer Rebellion on GAF for the better part of 11 years now. We saw them last night for about the 8th time or so and I took a short video of one of their older songs that I really love. But honestly, their catalog is exceptional.

The Boxer Rebellion - We Have This Place Surrounded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV1v-e2OtPU

johnsmith

remember me
Fleet Foxes just posted this

Hey

We have two shows happening next year that are ready to announce - the BBK Live festival in Bilbao, Spain, and the Vida Festival in Barcelona. Late June / early July. Many more to come worldwide, our third album is almost done and we're very... very... very excited

FF

giphy.gif

faridmon

Meatwave new music:

Damn :(

I fucking love it, Post Funk is my jam.

They have a good idea and the whole jammy punk/funk music is a nice listen in small digests, but somehow, they just become repetitive for my liking. For what its worth, I think their second one is slightly better than their first. The first one was snoozer.

My Dad couldn't go at the last minute so I got to see Paul Simon tonight. Wish I was half the performer he was and at his age too. 4 encores was a bit weird though. Was about to leave after the second one and I would have missed 3 songs haha

Linius

Have to say American Band from Drive-By Truckers is slowly becoming one of my favs of the year. Already starts with Ramon Casiano, such a powerful tune.

Anyone see the NME's top 50 albums of the year list? What absolute incompetence...

The 1975 with album of the year??? No wonder the rag is given away for free now

Pacbois

yeah to be fair i feel like only 2 of the tons of albums i loved are going to top the lists (Solange's A Seat at the Table and Angel Olsen's My Woman)

Fjordson

I don't even pay attention to year end lists these days, music is just so subjective everyone's list is going to be different. And there's so much music out there that gets missed by big publications like NME.

faridmon

weren't their first two albums pop rock? Then the last two had a darker tone and now they are maybe mixing the two styles.

No, not at all.

If anything their later 2 albums were poppier. I always felt the band wanted to be a Noise band but accidentally became catchier without them noticing.

big ander

Nah futureman is right. The later two records do have hooks and plenty of the DNA of pop punk...but they also have instrumentals and nine minute freakouts and post-hardcore and proggy experimentation and the lyrics are way more nihilistic and about existential crises and mortality.

The first two records and the early singles like "didn't you" are all 2-4 minute lo-fi pop songs about the sun and girls and the radio

Top Bottom