• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

chris121580

For those of you that haven't checked out the Whitney album yet, I highly recommend doing so. I can't say enough good things about it. It's just phenomenal from beginning to end. It's an album that was great for summer and still fits in with the transition of summer to fall. I'd say this is pretty easily my album of the year right now.

faridmon

I don't know. I have tried listening to the new Whtney album, I was really bored. Not my style I guess.

Anyone had a listen to the new Teenage Fanclub? Was thinking of getting it.

Linius

Took some time to get used to the dude's voice, but yeah, love that Whitney record.

Listened to the new Teenage Fanclub once, enjoyed it.

big ander

For those of you that haven't checked out the Whitney album yet, I highly recommend doing so. I can't say enough good things about it. It's just phenomenal from beginning to end. It's an album that was great for summer and still fits in with the transition of summer to fall. I'd say this is pretty easily my album of the year right now.

Yup it's so good. and definitely playing even better for me in late summer than it did upon release. Lot of great brass all over the record, Kakacek's still a master of catchy guitar lines. "Follow" is one of my favorite songs of the year.
Couldn't convince my friends to stay for their set at pitchfork this year, wish I'd gotten to see more but the 10 minutes I did see were a ton of fun.

Futureman

I guess Allison Crutchfield and her band are staying at my house this weekend before their Pittsburgh show... Not really sure what to expect haha. My GF's sister directed their music video and hooked them up with us.

I'm guessing they'll get us into the show... maybe hook us up with their new record?

chris121580

Yup it's so good. and definitely playing even better for me in late summer than it did upon release. Lot of great brass all over the record, Kakacek's still a master of catchy guitar lines. "Follow" is one of my favorite songs of the year.
Couldn't convince my friends to stay for their set at pitchfork this year, wish I'd gotten to see more but the 10 minutes I did see were a ton of fun.

Totally agree. I can understand why people may be turned off by his voice though. Took me a couple listens to get past it but now it's great and is just a perfect companion with the music

Fjordson

I guess Allison Crutchfield and her band are staying at my house this weekend before their Pittsburgh show... Not really sure what to expect haha. My GF's sister directed their music video and hooked them up with us.

I'm guessing they'll get us into the show... maybe hook us up with their new record?
wtf, you serious?? Lmao, that's crazy.

big ander

I'd come to expect this push but I was still holding out a little hope that J saying a while back the newalbum was coming this year would happen. who cares, I'll eventually hear new spiritualized! Also hope he tours Ladies And Gentlemen.

would def be cool if you could get to hear a few tracks! I always wanted to love Swearin' because a few of their songs were incredible—"Kenosha" especially is an absolute favorite—but their lps never came together for me. But her solo EP's good (especially the songs with Radiator Hospital's Sam) and I've been hopeful this new project'll have her firing on all cylinders
Totally agree. I can understand why people may be turned off by his voice though. Took me a couple listens to get past it but now it's great and is just a perfect companion with the music
Yknow normally I get it when people don't like a voice. It's pretty rare for me, vocals/lyrics are generally low on the list of things that catch my ear and I don't care if a singer sounds "different" (e.g Newsom, Elverum) as long as it complements the music. With Whitney, though, I've honestly been confused as to why it's even a sticking point for so many. I didn't notice anything off about it and then I read a bunch of reviews/comments saying he made the band hard to like lol. I'm just not at all discerning when it comes to voices I guess.

Futureman

would def be cool if you could get to hear a few tracks! I always wanted to love Swearin' because a few of their songs were incredible—"Kenosha" especially is an absolute favorite—but their lps never came together for me. But her solo EP's good (especially the songs with Radiator Hospital's Sam) and I've been hopeful this new project'll have her firing on all cylinders

I think Sam is in the new band so he will be staying over as well. I love Swearin' so I was sad to see they are done (I think?). I'll report if anything interesting happens this weekend.

I've started to really get into portrait photography, so maybe I can ask them to pose for something.

King_Moc

Banned
Pixies new album is a pretty big improvement over the last one. I've listed to it 4 times today. It doesn't have much (any?) of the old Pixies weirdness, but it's really melodic. I expected it might be a bit rubbish.

faridmon

As someone who really didn't like LOSE, I am really really enjoying the new Cymbal Eat Guiars' new album. Much more upbeat and less dreary.

Vard

Nice. How was Japanese Breakfast? Really loved the album.
Really good - I saw her twice a few months apart and you could really tell the progression from that extra time spent touring. As you probably know the band didn't directly work on the album, but some of the slower songs sounded fuller as you could tell they worked on fleshing them out more. They were a trio the first time around, but another guitarist joined the band by the second show and I enjoyed that.

I just came back from the Frankie Cosmos show and that was so good too. They played for about an hour, which for them means you're hearing about 25 songs! Beach Fossils will be my next gig, and I think that will be like my 7th time seeing them.

Servbot24

Banned
Saw Radiohead on Saturday. Incredible hype as always. I could see them again next week but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the crowd again.

King_Moc

Banned
Damn, you're right. Should be good to go so! Good luck King Moc in the ticket scramble, presume you're going next year?

Yup, done 11 in a row, damned if i'm stopping now.

The coach ticket resale is easy to get a ticket in, so that's a good fallback plan anyway.

faridmon

New Menace Beach Album ''Lemon Memory'' announced and out on January 20th.

New track ''Maybe We'll Drown'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wHP56Dyzo

Looking forward to it. Thought their debut was one of the best that year.

Also, Tall Ships Finally announce their second album. Took them only 5 years. The new album is coming out 10th of February. Can't wait.

Pacbois

New Menace Beach Album ''Lemon Memory'' announced and out on January 20th.

New track ''Maybe We'll Drown'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wHP56Dyzo

Looking forward to it. Thought their debut was one of the best that year.

0e6c12e42465076d0afce605098fc4aa.jpg

Saw Joyce Manor live in SF yesterday. Great show. The few songs they played off the new album are great. It's also going to cause some controversy within their fan base, as this is the album where they are going to leave a lot of them behind.

If you have an opportunity to see them this fall you should definitely do so. Oh, and arrive early - The Hotelier are great as well.

Futureman

Hmm... the two songs they've released so far don't seem that different to me. They would both easily fit in on "Never Hung Over Again." I guess I'll see about the rest tomorrow.

did you like Crying live? Joyce Manor are one of my fav currently active bands.

olympia

yeah the preview tracks kind of follow the track they laid with NHA. although i think they kind of pulled back the catchiness on "the last you heard of me" especially in comparison to fake ID. I think Fake ID is really rad but last you heard of me didn't grab me at all. I thought it was kind of underwhelming

i think a lot of their fans don't really like the more polished, catchy joyce manor, they like the rougher, punkier stuff like from "of all things.." "collection" and their s/t. i've met some people who can't stand never hungover, although i don't get that at all because that album is fucking awesome.

can't wait to listen to this album tonight

crying fucking rules i am super sad i missed out on last night's show :((((

also hello from the emo thread

Hmm... the two songs they've released so far don't seem that different to me. They would both easily fit in on "Never Hung Over Again." I guess I'll see about the rest tomorrow.

did you like Crying live? Joyce Manor are one of my fav currently active bands.

the Crying were pretty good.

They did their job well as the opener and the crowd was definitely into it. It was certainly worth it to get there early to see them.

Futureman

hmm the new Joyce Manor is definitely more mellow/subdued feeling. I'll have to give it a few more listens, but first impressions is a little lukewarm. "Fake ID," "Eighteen," "Last You Heard of Me," "Stairs," and "This Song is a Mess But So Am I" are my favs on first run through.

yagal

Hello Mu Gaf
100€ for a PJ Harvey concert (58 the ticket + hotel , train). Am I mad?

And I will see the Swans november 5th fo 29€, I don't know the band :), I bought the ticket because I love Screen Shot from To be Kind. Can you guy make me a quick introduction the band? I don't know where to begin

PS. I don't like the new Bon Iver

Pacbois

Hello Mu Gaf
100€ for a PJ Harvey concert (58 the ticket + hotel , train). Am I mad?

And I will see the Swans november 5th fo 29€, I don't know the band :), I bought the ticket because I love Screen Shot from To be Kind. Can you guy make me a quick introduction the band? I don't know where to begin

PS. I don't like the new Bon Iver

That seems relatively cheap for the 3, go for it man.

Futureman

being as they were my favorite band for a few years (in like 2000), gotta give the new Green Day a listen. I like the single well enough. We'll see for the rest!

Jzero

What gigs do you guys have lined up for the rest of the year? Money allowing, I want to go see (all in Bristol, UK)...

The Temper Trap
King Krule
Albert Hammond JR
Chicano Batman
Timber Timbre
Wild Child
Justice
Grimes
Nicolas Jaar
Future Islands
Unknown Mortall Orchestra
Devendra Banhart
The Drums
XXYYXX
Homeshake
Still Corners

and just Red Hot Chili Peppers for next year

Big Thief are pretty sweet. I want to see them with Frankie Cosmos but I'd have to do a road trip.

They are so good live, no joke. I saw them before Masterpiece came out though.

Futureman

"Masterpiece" is so great. Been listening to it a lot lately.

what is up with this band? How are they so good on their first release ha? Every song is so distinct and fun and catchy.

Futureman

Saw Animal Collective on Friday. Was a pretty wild show. Though I only know a handful of their songs it was still really fun.

7wRWWcll.jpg

also Allison Crutchfield and the Fizz last week was fun. I think their album on Merge next year will be great. Sam from Radiator Hospital is in the band as well and said they have something new coming and he has another new project that is kinda like Hall & Oates.

they stayed over my house before going to Chicago. Took a portrait of Allison:

pStLzbtl.jpg

Davey Cakes

The new Solange album (A Seat at the Table) is clearly alternative R&B, genre-wise, and it's good.

Pixies' "Head Carrier" was okay. Nothing particularly memorable about it. Maybe I need to try harder to let it grow on me. *DISCLAIMER* I've never liked Pixies that much.

The new Springtime Carnivore album (Midnight Room) is kind of disappointing. I like Greta Morgan but she had something good going with the dreampop feel of her previous self-titled album. But, maybe my expectations are too high. It's solid indie pop but she could push things further with her dreamy vocal effects. Her association with La Sera may be to a detriment, unfortunately, as La Sera (Katy Goodman) is veering on the course of boring indie rock these days.

Honestly, I think I'm getting too picky. People say 2016 has been one of the greatest years in music in a while but I often find it merely okay. I think I have personal problems. :(

olympia

Saw Animal Collective on Friday. Was a pretty wild show. Though I only know a handful of their songs it was still really fun.

7wRWWcll.jpg

also Allison Crutchfield and the Fizz last week was fun. I think their album on Merge next year will be great. Sam from Radiator Hospital is in the band as well and said they have something new coming and he has another new project that is kinda like Hall & Oates.

they stayed over my house before going to Chicago. Took a portrait of Allison:

pStLzbtl.jpg

that is super fucking cool!

abd

"Here is new album you might be interested."
Oh thanks. This is great. I love it. When can I buy it?
"Wonderful! It will be released four months from now."
Shit.

Top Bottom