• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Futureman

Love Crying. The new album (from the released songs) still has that old school digital vibe, but less NES music laid over rock this time it feels like.

I think my 2016 top 5 is pretty solid right now unless something surprises me (like Crying!)...

-Joyce Manor "Cody" (really grew on me after multiple listens)
-Frankie Cosmos "Next Thing"
-Angel Olsen "MY WOMAN"
-Big Thief "Masterpiece"
-Against Me! "Shape Shift with Me"

honorable mention to Parquet Courts, Diners, Alex Cameron, Hinds.

Linius

In no particular order these records really stand out for me this year:

- Angel Olsen - My Woman
- Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
- Damien Jurado - Visions of Us on the Land
- David Bowie - Blackstar
- Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
- Preoccupations - Preoccupations
- Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
- Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits
- Warhaus - We Fucked a Flame Into Being
- Whitney - Light Upon the Lake

Futureman

I need to give more listens to Car Seat Headrest and Thee Oh Sees.

anyone like the band Dear Nora? I was just reading an article that Joyce Manor's new record is inspired by that band.

also the Pitchfork review and this interview on Spin is talking about how JM's album has an acoustic track for the first time while "Of All Things I'll Soon Grow Tired" had two!

faridmon

Cloud Nothings Announce Album Life Without Sound, January 27th. CAN'T WAIT!

c407e2c2-ca4b-4794-9cab-7e42dbad1bd6.jpg

Fjordson

My top 5 right now is probably:

Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Angel Olsen - My Woman
Magic Potion - Pink Gum
Crescendo - Unless
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp

I have some stuff I still need to listen to though. Like that Joyce Manor, I forgot it came out. Excited to hear it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Top 4 for me is;

Human Performance - Parquet Courts
Teens of Denial - Car Seat Headrest
Rice, Pasta, and Other Fillers - Porridge Radio
The Magic - Deerhoof

Fifth spot is up for grabs right now between Angel Olsen, Nots, and Preoccupations.

King_Moc

Banned
Really want to listen to the new Cloud Nothings song, but I'm waiting for Explosions in the Sky at Brixton. It's a hard life...

Went to the Dune Rats show and I must say, they really arent great musicians. Their stuff is so fucking basic and most of the time they are to stoned to play it right. Still had fun though with a cool crowd and DZ Deathrays practically stealing them the show.

New Cloud Nothings song is also pretty cool.

Saw Luna for the fist time last night (playing Penthouse). I did not expect that good of a show.

That won't replace a Galaxie 500 gig, but fuck they're cool.

faridmon

Went to the Dune Rats show and I must say, they really arent great musicians. Their stuff is so fucking basic and most of the time they are to stoned to play it right. Still had fun though with a cool crowd and DZ Deathrays practically stealing them the show.

Already bought mu ticket for their show. I am not there to hear masterful guitar play, I just want to see drug hippies fuck shit up.

Saw Preoccupations last night. Pretty good, drummer was the standout, pretty impressive.

Fairly obvious there wasn't going to be an encore when the band walks off the stage and the drum kit is trashed.

preoccupations-19-BenStas.jpg

Linius

Yeah their drummer is too cool. They usually end their shows with a whole lot of noise (in a positive way) and their drummer going ham on his kit.

Catvoca

Banned
The 20th anniversary remastered version of Robert Pollard's (Of Guided by Voices) first solo record "Not in My Air Force" hit streaming last month. It's a classic, if you liked Bee thousand/Alien lanes you should check it out, it's in the same style.

Haven't seen anything posted here about the new Wytches and Temples.

I still need some more time to listen to it but the first half of the new Wytches album rocks. The 3 song sequence of C-Side/Can't Face It/A Feeling We Get gets a play from me pretty much daily.

Temples has only released a new single but they're moving more towards that Tame Impala/MGMT sound which I don't mind. The peppy sound usually doesn't work for me but it's balanced pretty well in this song. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

HiResDes

Listmakers with Angel Olson marked still need to get on Lucy Dacus' and Lydia Loveless' albums. Hmph.

!! Now that's unexpected.
I tried to recommend people the Lucy album on another forum utilizing a comparison to early Angel and got clowned with people questioning my ear.

King_Moc

Banned
Saw The Lovely Eggs tonight in Northampton tonight and it was so much fun. So good. Really good stuff. Definitely give them a listen.

Fucking class.

Saw The Lovely Eggs tonight in Northampton tonight and it was so much fun. So good. Really good stuff. Definitely give them a listen.

Fucking class.
They're playing 2 minutes from my work this week (or maybe next week)...They did the same this time last year. Been meaning to check them out since then!

Seeing Daughter tomorrow, can't wait!

big ander

allison crutchfield song and video are real good, definitely looking forward to that album now.

Wasn't even sure I'd get around to the new Crying record, cause I don't like "Patriot" and had gotten kinda bored of them already with Second Wind. But after all the raves I tried it out and damn, that's a good record. I still don't like "Patriot" and I'm not a fan of "Well and Spring" but all 8 of the other songs are very good, totally their own style of progrock-new wave-power pop. Have had "Premonitory Dream", "Wool in the Wash", "The Curve" and "There Was a Door" all on repeat

olympia

yeah it's a significant departure from patriot

I love well and spring and how it kind of crashes together into this loud ass crescendo

Linius

Radiohead has just been announced for Best Kept Secret festival. So cool to see such a big band on a relatively small festival. Really happy for the bookers as well they got a chance to sign them :D

Daeda

Radiohead has just been announced for Best Kept Secret festival. So cool to see such a big band on a relatively small festival. Really happy for the bookers as well they got a chance to sign them :D

Yeah, just read the news. Great for BKS, well deserved. Much better than if they'd player the larger but ambiance lacking Pinkpop. Especially since PPs main booker admitted he had not even followed the band in years.

Futureman

If you like Cayetana or maybe Hop Along... may I suggest Katie Ellen?

https://katiebandellen.bandcamp.com/

just a two song EP out now but full length coming soon. Currently on tour with my top 3 punk band at the moment HARD GIRLS and Jeff Rosenstock (I don't really know Jeff but I'm listening to his new album "Worry" right now and it's VERY catchy and fun).

Top Bottom