• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Pacbois

Day 2 of Pitchfork Paris :

Perfect Pussy sounded kinda of bad on a big stage, shame because the stream replay confirmed me they played a really good show. Future Islands was dumb fun. CHVRCHES were really good (and Lauren had a really great Halloween make-up). St. Vincent played a really heavy show. Belle and Sebastian were great, fun, happy show with Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying as an encore, got me a bit teary eyed.

Linius

Sounds like a lot of fun man. St. Vincent was also amazing at ReS in august. I'm not even a big fan of the records but live she managed to surprise me in a positive way. One of my favourite shows of that weekend.

yp8SrdM.jpg

Yesterday I saw Spoon in Amsterdam. Sadly they played at a festival at which they felt pretty misplaced so I had to sit trough some shitty bands which was kind of a drag. But the Spoon show was just great. They played a lot of the new album but also classics like I Turn My Camera On, The Way We Get By and Small Stakes. They ended the set just perfect with Rhthm & Soul and The Underdog. Both songs were requests they took from the audience. If you like Spoon, don't miss them on this tour.

Almost forgot to mention Sebadoh also played, they opened the night. It wasn't bad but not good either sadly. Just a bit of a letdown. The two shitty bands I referred to are The Mispers and Josef Salvat. It was godawful and I hope to forget about it soon.

Pacbois

Yesterday I saw Spoon in Amsterdam. Sadly they played at a festival at which they felt pretty misplaced so I had to sit trough some shitty bands which was kind of a drag. But the Spoon show was just great. They played a lot of the new album but also classics like I Turn My Camera On, The Way We Get By and Small Stakes. They ended the set just perfect with Rhthm & Soul and The Underdog. Both songs were requests they took from the audience. If you like Spoon, don't miss them on this tour.

They're in Paris thursday, in a pretty cool venue, but I'm way too broke (especially after Pitchfork)

So last P4K Paris night, not a lot of rock actually, Foxygen were kind of...eeeeerrr...Terrible ? tune-yards was weird but really fun. José Gonsalez was good but played way too late on the main stage so nobody was really in the mood. Caribou were amazing, they dropped ballons on the audience during Can't Do Without You, it quickly turned into a giant game of volleyball. Then Four Tet and Jamie XX killed me with their sets, my legs still hurts.

faridmon

So Jealous reading all those impressions while I am stuck in Birmingham where no one shows up. To be fair, I am kind of broke, so if anything its my fault more than anything.

Would love to see Spoon live as I happen to be fan of their newest album (first time listening to them btw)

I saw Iceage last night, and they pretty much killed it. They played for like, 30-40 minutes (mostly new material IIRC), but it went by quick and once they left, they were done. Definitely worth seeing live if you ever get the chance

overcast

That reminds me I need to buy tickets to see Caribou in February. Probably Tune-Yards too. They would be fun.

Sounds like a great time Pacbois. I envy you.

Milchjon

The announcement that this is apparently the last Klacons tour made me buy tickets.

Hope they aren't as terrible live as Youtube makes it sound.

Would love to see them play Twin Flames, but not getting my hopes up.

big ander

I can't make heads or tails of this Father John Misty song. At first I thought it was just terrible, but then I started to feel like it was supposed to be so overly dramatic it was funny. And then the laughter started, and at first I thought it was the studio audience finally clueing into it too, only to realize it was canned laughter, maybe added by FJM. so weird

You got your wish! Out February 10th. Him performing a new song on Letterman here.

So pumped. Absolutely love the new track.

Also, new World/Inferno Friendship Society album finally dropped. Grabbed it when I saw them play their annual Halloween show. It's decent although I haven't really loved one of their albums since Red Eyed Soul in 2006.

Linius

Saw Ty Segall yesterday in Amsterdam. Despite the sound being a bit sucky at the beginning (drums were way too loud and out of the mix) it got pretty legendary later on. And then Ty blasted out some oldies and Slaughter House songs to really get the party going. I decided to stay out of the pogo this time because I was carrying a bag with my headphones etc. And that turned out to be the right call because the crowd was insane. It did give me the chance to shot a video of it for a change. When I started recording a girl stagedived just before and Ty told the audience they needed to crowdsurf her all the way to the back and then back to the stage, otherwise he'd stop playing. And so it happened. Please don't mind the sound quality once the music goes up, it's terrible on my Xperia Z :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48Ml8zRzxQ&list=UUJ_pfPpOhKFNNPQaAiDH_xQ

chris121580

ooh thanks for the tip didn't know they had another coming. I didn't love True hallucinations but it had a sound, that's for sure.

I just finished my first listen. There are definitely some duds on it but pretty solid for the most part. Not a big fan of Burnt Out Love and Modern World and they happen to be back to back

overcast

Listened to "Call The Doctor" since a few people here said it was a good starting point. I'm really loving it, for some reason I had no idea they had such an angry, punk sound.

Kind of reminds me of a faster paced version of PJ's Dry.

faridmon

The announcement that this is apparently the last Klacons tour made me buy tickets.

Hope they aren't as terrible live as Youtube makes it sound.

Would love to see them play Twin Flames, but not getting my hopes up.

From what I hear, their performance here was quite bad. Hope they up their game when they come to your town.

Futureman

ummm so my GF's sister is a filmmaker and is doing the music video for the first song on Waxahatchee's new album...

The sister likes my illustrations and is going to hire me to do some drawing for it!!

You can search my post history, "Cerulean Salt" was my fav record of 2013!

AND I'm going to see her this Saturday in DC and she'll be playing songs from the new record.

Ahh!

though who knows, this might not actually happen, I still don't really believe it. Sounds good so far though...

Fjordson

ummm so my GF's sister is a filmmaker and is doing the music video for the first song on Waxahatchee's new album...

The sister likes my illustrations and is going to hire me to do some drawing for it!!

AND I'm going to see her this Saturday in DC and she'll be playing songs from the new record.

Ahh!

though who knows, this might not actually happen, I still don't really believe it. Sounds good so far though...
Whoa, that's pretty cool. Hope it comes through for you.

I really like Waxahatchee. Cerulean Salt was dope.

big ander

Parquet "Parkay Quarts" Courts new record (and second of the year) is streaming, released under that different name because Max Savage and Sean Yeaton aren't on it at all, just A's Brown and Savage. I really liked the single from it even if it mostly just made me want to listen to Silver Jews or Townes Van Zandt.

Ahh!

hey cool, I'm looking forward to that record. the crutchfield sisters are both awesome

faridmon

Ahh!

New Waxahatchee album? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Linius

Man, sometimes it's really annoying to have a lot of music journalists on Twitter. Apparently they already received their copy of Viet Cong's debut album and they're hyping it the fuck up. It's due release in 2015 for us peasant souls :(

Hopefully they play some songs of it later this month when I see them.

big ander

I really liked it. Single works even better in context.

Agreed. Through one listen I already like it better than Sunbathing. It's not a weird shift in their style like I thought the Tally EP promised for 2014, but Content Nausea is at least a different array of lo-fi post-punk and noise rock and experimental and alt country. It feels like it easily could've come after American Specialties and Light Up Gold, in a good way. and it basically has the same message as Sunbathing Animal, feeling vaguely anxious and sick and sedate in the modern world, but gets that out without being as musically motionless.

faridmon

Man, sometimes it's really annoying to have a lot of music journalists on Twitter. Apparently they already received their copy of Viet Cong's debut album and they're hyping it the fuck up. It's due release in 2015 for us peasant souls :(

Hopefully they play some songs of it later this month when I see them.

I am not on Twitter, but I do read the début Album by Say Lou Lou being hyped in many websites since it was actually scheduled to get a release last month and copies got sent to them ahead of time.

The album is fucking delayed to March 2015. WHY?

My hype for Viet Cong's debut kind of died down a bit out when all of the Casette EP wasn't like Bunker Buster.

That being said, Continental Shelf is good shit.

Linius

Continental Shelf ain't much like the Cassette EP either imo. Though most of their music can be traced back to a raw sounding Talking Heads esque band. With Viet Cong, Ought and White Lung Canada got some very exciting bands lately.

And well for what it's worth, a lot of journo's are really digging Viet Cong's debut. Hope I can persuade someone to get me an early listen :(

big ander

It's kinda unique...also eh. chiptune pop with some new wave/pop-rap undercurrents that feel like innacurate seapunk. Overstays its welcome, could've been okay if it were 2:30. I'm not a big fan, might fit in one of the electronic or vaporwave or seapunk threads (whatever's around now idk)

overcast

I listened to it earlier in the year, and merely liked it. I don't know if it's the weather getting a bit more brisk, or if it's just me relating more to it.

Alex G's DSU is really doing it though.

Pacbois

Catching up on two really good debut albums with girl singers, Loom by Fear of Men and Rips by Ex Hex (Mary Timony's new band !)

Fjordson

Makes me pretty happy that even 20+ albums into a career, The Church can still kill it. #stevekilbeyforlife

And in the continuing Wrens'-fourth-album saga, they're signing to a record label again.
Kilbey is a legend man. It's insane how many good albums The Church have in their discography. Can't wait to listen to this.

Catching up on two really good debut albums with girl singers, Loom by Fear of Men and Rips by Ex Hex (Mary Timony's new band !)
Yes! Ex Hex is excellent.

faridmon

I was hedging on going to see her tonight but that probably pushed me over the edge. Show starting at 9:30 is too late for someone old like me, but I might just grin and bear it.

She is doing a one-off show in London in January. I am tempted to travel all teh way there just to see her!

Guys, the new Lillies and Remains album is fucking amazing. For people who don't know them, they are Japanese Post-Punk band (who sing entirely in English) their new sound is closer to industrial side of Post-Punk (ala Killing Joke) but its still well composed and scripted. Not to mention the production value is through the roof thanks to Maki Fuji!

Body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIda_odnbqA
This City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qFhdQbJ7SI

big ander

She is doing a one-off show in London in January. I am tempted to travel all teh way there just to see her!

Guys, the new Lillies and Remains album is fucking amazing. For people who don't know them, they are Japanese Post-Punk band (who sing entirely in English) their new sound is closer to industrial side of Post-Punk (ala Killing Joke) but its still well composed and scripted. Not to mention the production value is through the roof thanks to Maki Fuji!

Body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIda_odnbqA
This City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qFhdQbJ7SI

This is fantastic. thank you for the tip.

faridmon

This is fantastic. thank you for the tip.

They have been quite active for several years. In fact, this is their second release of this year. If you happen to like their new album ''ROMANTICISMS'' , then I hope you check out their debut, its the perfect album if you ask me.

Milchjon

From what I hear, their performance here was quite bad. Hope they up their game when they come to your town.

Well, they were much much much better than expected. Really good sound. Also the stylistic differences between the albums fade a bit live.

No Twin Flames though :*****(

Top Bottom