• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

I liked the new Juan Maclean also. Would have liked more Nancy Whang vocals, but I thought it was a dope album.

Its good, but it ain't Future Will come level. There is a lot of padding and fillers that just contains it back to be great. I have read a lot of interviews done by the guy, and they way he was describing the album is anything but. Where are the progression synths Juan?

Linius

Really enjoying this So Cow record from last month

TMX-1159-425x425.jpg

The Long con

Fun, solid, consistent indie rock record.

Thanks for posting, I like it. Weird band name.

faridmon

The new record by The History of Apple pie is really good. These guys deliver so much and are indie as fuck, everything they do from making the record, to printing them, to touring and T-shirts are done from their own pocket.

Pretend that awesome '90s power pop never died (and that Weezer broke up after Pinkerton) with Rozwell Kid's newest one, now streaming more than a month before release. These guys are always catchy. as. fuck.

3qVfEgk.jpg

Love me some great Power pop. Thanks for sharing this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The new record by The History of Apple pie is really good. These guys deliver so much and are indie as fuck, everything they do from making the record, to printing them, to touring and T-shirts are done from their own pocket.

Love me some great Power pop. Thanks for sharing this.

That might explain why they seem so tired onstage then :p I swear one of them looked like they might just fall over from boredom/being-too-cool.

faridmon

That might explain why they seem so tired onstage then :p I swear one of them looked like they might just fall over from boredom/being-too-cool.

They look like that even when I saw them first time few years back (when they didn't even have a single in the market), being slack is the new hip these days.

I am actually going to see them tonight. Gonna support them by buying their T-shirt!

faridmon

Great gig last night. The main vocalist put on a lot of weight :/ She still cute as hell.

OK, guys, what is the best Band picture you have come across. Rule only choose one!

Mine is actually quite recent: Highasakite band picture is insanely creative.

10626606_849320275080950_5081033818149125374_n.jpg

Linius

I always liked Iceage for what they were. Just one of many bands who make some nice guitar heavy tunes. But now they've expanded their sound to something more unique. Obviously they checked out some old Birthday Party records and I'm glad they did.

Fjordson

I really like the new Iceage. I don't know if I prefer the old version of the band or the current one, but I definitely still enjoy them.

Linius

Went to Maxïmo Park tonight by the way. A friend had won tickets. Hearing the songs from their debut album was bloody brilliant. The singer is quite the show man too. Some good youth sentiment tonight.

big ander

I way prefer the old noise post-punk iceage, but through a listen of Plowing I can't call it bad. it's just not my thing. It's arranged incredibly well, songs are structured interestingly, lyrics are dece. they've traded punky immediacy for punk-country-blues contemplation so I understand why it's so divisive.

least favorite part is the horns, which are bland and ancillary at least 50% of the time. but the use of piano's really good

been listening to some british sea power lately

their first three records are choice, especially their debut; hugely influenced by early radiohead's aggressive guitar sound. they tail off a bit after that however.

chris121580

Went to Maxïmo Park tonight by the way. A friend had won tickets. Hearing the songs from their debut album was bloody brilliant. The singer is quite the show man too. Some good youth sentiment tonight.

I would love to see them live. Our Velocity is such a jam

King_Moc

Banned

their first three records are choice, especially their debut; hugely influenced by early radiohead's aggressive guitar sound. they tail off a bit after that however.

It's more a Pixies influence than anything. Always reminded me of them crossed with Sigur Ros or something similar.

faridmon

i actually really love Valhalla Dance Hall. Its a lot more atmospheric and closer to Post-Rock than previous album, although I have to say that their new one, Machineries of Joy, is a bit lacking despite getting rave reviews. Something is missing from that album which is disappointing. Machineries of Joy, the track is absolutely magnificant though. Made it my top 5 track of last year.

Saw them live last year and I have to say, they are probably the best live band I have ever witnessed. Such a grace to see them playing music!

chris121580

I strongly recommend checking out the new album by LVL Up. Very nostalgic 90's sound...think Pavement, GBV, and Built to Spill. I've linked to a stream below. So good:

I Feel Ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ85LFZVzOU

Soft Power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS72AzJ4HlI

DBTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxPqLuWk46M

http://heartbreakingbravery.com/2014/09/27/lvl-up-hoodwinkd-review-stream/

edit: The Foxygen album is just way too long. Thankfully I can remove the bad tracks on Spotify. For anyone interested, here's the tracklist I came up with of songs that I think are pretty great. Still nowhere near their first album:

How Can You Really
Coulda Been My Love
You & I
Star Power I: Overture
Star Power II: Star Power Nite
Star Power III: What Are We Good For
Star Power IV: Ooh Ooh
I Don't Have Anything/The Gate
Flowers
Cannibal Holocaust
Brooklyn Police Station
The Game
Freedom II
Everyone Needs Love

faridmon

The new Foxygen album is indeed too long. Way too long. Artists should stop doing double LPs. Most of them can't seem to pull it off in a good way!

big ander

What was the last great double album?

some recent ones could be:
Swans - To Be Kind or The Seer
Autechre - Exai
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual (3xLP)

for my own listening I might have to go as far back as Speakerboxxx/The Love Below? Lift Your Skinny Fists? or even Being There for something I really love, though that's just going by the convention of a double album. Like, there are a lot of albums that I think we'd call "single albums" where the vinyl release was on multiple LPs. At this point, a release is only a double or triple album if the artist calls it that, actual number of physical LPs or EPs or CDs doesn't seem to matter.

Oh actually Deathconsciousness. that'd be my pick from the last 5 years.

K.Sabot

Is it just me or has the latest TV on the Radio song releases been incredibly underwhelming?

Happy Idiot was some real mid-late 2000s passive-aggressive indie rock that I'm incredibly done with.

And I can't even bother to listen to Careful You more than once.

Pacbois

Does that even count as a double album? It has 13 songs pressed on two discs...

Yeah, I know that technically it's closer to a single album but I guess splitting it up in two was more of an artistic intent, and I think it's working. The first disc is kinda different from the second.

Top Bottom