• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

The new album isn't that good anyway. It doesn't come close to Mature themes which was fantastic.

Maybe he should stick with Haunted Graffiti Moniker rather than suffice himself with his weird name.

For me, the only 2 gigs that I have planned to go in 2014 is Honningbarna in January and Team Me in Feberuary.

Hope Little Boots does a tour next year as well. I miss her :(

Linius

I love Viet Congs debut from start to end. Not a bad song in there for me. And Continental Shelf is my favourite single of 2014, no doubt in my mind. Really wondering how the album will hold up over a longer periode of time. Normally an album as good as this one would easily walk into my top 10. But that's more than a year away from today.

On the topic of Ariel Pink, Mature Themes was quite a letdown after his Before Today LP. Pom Pom on the other hand is probably the best thing he ever put out. Even though it's lengthy it's never boring. Channeling his inner Zappa. As opposed to the mess Foxygen came up with Ariel Pink knows how to structure a long album and keep it interesting the whole ride.

Also, this article is pretty interesting. Some band I never heard of telling about their expenses for a tour trough the US: https://medium.com/@jackconte/pomplamoose-2014-tour-profits-67435851ba37

Last but not least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oaju60JXI // Ought in session for Dutch public broadcasters. Recorded during the Le Guess Who? festival.

Fjordson

The Velvet Underground's 45th anniversary reissue of their self-titled album is out today. Ordered a physical copy, but am listening to some of the live tracks on Rdio. Easily some of the best live VU recordings I've ever heard! Just amazing stuff. Cale-era VU is my favourite, but it's nice to get such a great sounding live set from the mellower Yule-era lineup.

death and march of progress are the standouts for sure. the rest is just there.
Agreed. Those two and Continental Shift.

B&W self titled is my favourite VU album, brilliant songwriting from start to finish. I grabbed what I assume was the 40th anniversary 108g reissue a few years ago so I'll probably miss out on the live disc unless there's a digital release.

faridmon

Lol, anyone heard about the issues with Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees re-issued material? There is a huge glitch in Peepshow which started a whole albums being recalled.
The funny thing is that some websites have ''reviewed'' them which funnily enough exposed them as critics. The quietus one is good example. People are being furious.

The Velvet Underground's 45th anniversary reissue of their self-titled album is out today. Ordered a physical copy, but am listening to some of the live tracks on Rdio. Easily some of the best live VU recordings I've ever heard! Just amazing stuff. Cale-era VU is my favourite, but it's nice to get such a great sounding live set from the mellower Yule-era lineup.

Agreed. Those two and Continental Shift.

Fuck, I just want to hear this live recording but I can't justify the price of the boxset.
How would you compare it to 1969, sound quality wise?

Fjordson

B&W self titled is my favourite VU album, brilliant songwriting from start to finish. I grabbed what I assume was the 40th anniversary 108g reissue a few years ago so I'll probably miss out on the live disc unless there's a digital release.
I love the self titled. Can never decide between that or VU & Nico as my favourite

Fuck, I just want to hear this live recording but I can't justify the price of the boxset.
How would you compare it to 1969, sound quality wise?
It's even better. The San Fran club where the shows recorded for this were at had professional recording equipment inside, so it all sounds super clear. It's great.

Steamlord

WL/WH fan reporting in

Lol, anyone heard about the issues with Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees re-issued material? There is a huge glitch in Peepshow which started a whole albums being recalled.
The funny thing is that some websites have ''reviewed'' them which funnily enough exposed them as critics. The quietus one is good example. People are being furious.

Damn, that's rough. Reminds me of that glitch on the Loveless remaster that to my knowledge was never addressed. I still wish they'd fix that and do an actual vinyl reissue. I mean, that shit would fucking print money since as far as I know the original Creation pressing is still the only good one.

faridmon

Damn, that's rough. Reminds me of that glitch on the Loveless remaster that to my knowledge was never addressed. I still wish they'd fix that and do an actual vinyl reissue. I mean, that shit would fucking print money since as far as I know the original Creation pressing is still the only good one.

Aye. The good thing is that Souixie Souix and The Banshees are being recalled in order to get it fixed. I honestly don't know why Lovless remaster remains to have such problem.

I did hear about that glisth, but I didn't know its still there. Thats wrong man!

Steamlord

Aye. The good thing is that Souixie Souix and The Banshees are being recalled in order to get it fixed. I honestly don't know why Lovless remaster remains to have such problem.

I did hear about that glisth, but I didn't know its still there. Thats wrong man!

Yeah, I mean, it's not like it ruins the entire album, but it's really in your face for that one split second and it definitely takes you out of it. Given Shields's legendary perfectionism I still don't understand how it happened in the first place, but I'm also not surprised it wasn't fixed.

I might have to look into the (fixed) Siouxsie reissues. The Scream and Juju are classics.

big ander

got around to the Viet Cong album. it's pretty okay. Death is stellar. the rest is fine, some songs with grooves that could be growers. I think it'll get better with further listens when the early raving hype isn't inescapable. Think normally I can block that out well enough, but this time dudes were calling this album shit like "from the future" or mind-blowing or like nothing they'd ever heard before or completely indescribable. When the truth is, it's very easily digested and described noisy rock/post-punk. and it's far too often bloodless and indistinct. it'd be cool if anyone who think this is novel would check out records from this year like Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right, which is just as fierce but more immediate, Have a Nice Life's lp, which actually is adventurous and unique and vulnerable, Total Conrol - Typical System, which is more synth-y but still gnarly and loud and dancable, Whatever Brains' double EP which is far more sinister and abrasive. hell, also Whatever Brains' LPs from the three previous years. And HANL's first record. And if we're going back might as well go as far as like The Pop Group's For How Much Longer or This Heat's Deceit or the same band's "Health and Efficiency" (as an aside why don't more records especially in "punk" and "post-punk" nowadays make any attempts at all to be political? like if VC had a political viewpoint that would at least set them apart.)

I dunno. every time I found a piece in this record that I kinda liked, I just found my mind drifting to a post-punk band that's done that particular piece better while also being better overall. I'll come back to it and see if it starts to distinguish itself

Coming down strongly in favour of Viet Cong's S/T. Bunker Buster, Continental Shelf and Death are full on fantastic tracks. The dronier parts earlier on are kind of just there but when it's on it's fucking great.

big ander

I like your style.

Oh yeah, thanks for recommending that Olga Bell album. I'm not immediately in love but this is undoubtedly interesting and different. I think my favorites are the wonkier and more electronic tracks, mainly STavropol and Khabarovsk. Definitely hear the Dirty Projectors relationship and yet it's entirely distinct

faridmon

Sad to see Hooray for Earth have disbanded. They weren't the most active band as they have just released their ''2nd'' album in like 5 years, but that first album was a damn special one.

Their new one just doesn't feel right.

Fjordson

I'm way late to the party here, but what do you guys think of Joyce Manor? My friend recommended me their self-titled since I had never heard even one of their songs before and I'm really liking it.

Futureman

I'm way late to the party here, but what do you guys think of Joyce Manor? My friend recommended me their self-titled since I had never heard even one of their songs before and I'm really liking it.

they are pretty obscure and not many on here will know them as punk doesn't get much love...

but I think they are awesome. Their newest album has really grown on me and I need to pick up that vinyl. "Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired" is my fav by them.

Their first album was probably my favorite of that year. Absolutely love it. Really not of fan of their last 2 though.

Linius

That seems really low to me. I don't really care but I'm pretty sure people would complain about that

Ten is low? That's like an industry standard. Usually when magazines make lists they have reporters send in 10 albums. And if you're gonna allow more you know it's gonna be a hell of a job counting it.

I usually do like a top 20 for myself and then I still feel bad about leaving albums out. That's just the way it is. These lists are very time sensitive anyways.

Steamlord

I've listened to like 150 albums this year so far. I'll probably list my top 100 but you guys can count whatever number you want.

FWIW, I enjoyed being able to put the spotlight on 25 different albums last year, but I understand that counting that many is a shitton of work. I can always do more blurbs regardless.

amnesiac

So am I the only one who hasn't listened to many albums that came out this year? I mean, I've probably listened to around fifteen, but when discovering all music that's been made in the past, it's hard to listen to purely new stuff. When I really like an album, I'll usually explore the artists' whole discography and listen to it a lot for a couple weeks.

Servbot24

Banned
According to my notes I've listened to around 200 but only 75 or so of those are worth a recommendation.

The thing about listing 10 is I'd be worried that the lists would all be too generic.

I'll probably just say list whatever you want, minimum of 10, and make that judgement after.

I never quite got them, which is weird 'cause they're my sort of thing. They always just seemed...eeeh?

That said Chumped is a fucking tune

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The thing about listing 10 is I'd be worried that the lists would all be too generic.

It'd probably be an easy task to call what the overall top ten albums will end up being right now. There's some interesting variety on everyone's lists each year, but the end tallies are always predictable.

Fjordson

According to my notes I've listened to around 200 but only 75 or so of those are worth a recommendation.

I'll probably just say list whatever you want, minimum of 10, and make that judgement after.
Yeah, that makes sense to me. Allowing for longer lists increases the breadth of albums mentioned.

I never quite got them, which is weird 'cause they're my sort of thing. They always just seemed...eeeh?

That said Chumped is a fucking tune
I'm really liking this self-titled. Just a fun, quick listen (not even 20 minutes long). Going to check out their other stuff.

Just as long as More Than Any Other Day is first we're good!

yyQ826X.gif

overcast

Top 15-20 sounds good to me personally. Many will just post 10's though. Maybe make a minimal amount of 10.. or something?
I was wondering the same thing.

Futureman

So am I the only one who hasn't listened to many albums that came out this year? I mean, I've probably listened to around fifteen, but when discovering all music that's been made in the past, it's hard to listen to purely new stuff. When I really like an album, I'll usually explore the artists' whole discography and listen to it a lot for a couple weeks.

yea... I'm usually like this. The past few years had been an anomaly where I listened to a ton of new stuff. But this year was pretty barren as far as new releases that I cared about.

I think Against Me's "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" is my fav of the year.

big ander

feel like it's possible to listen to a ton of current records *and* old stuff. I know I spent the year filling in gaps like Townes stuff I'd missed and some New Order albums and Organized Konfusion and the two thinking fellers albums I hadn't heard , among a lot more, but I also caught new records. Least 60 or 70 I'd guess, don't have a tally.

Also I've heard two Joyce Manor songs from the latest album and thought they were fine. Not in a way that really grabbed me off the bat, but if I got around to playing the LP in full they could improve with more listens

Top Bottom