• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Modest Mouse just got an Instagram and posted a vinyl. COME ON I NEED NEW MO MO MUSIC IN 2015.

Lol, Modest Mouse are a bunch of wankers. They cancelled their European leg in 2013 because they were finishing their album. The same album that still hasn't been released. Yes I'm still salty on cancelling all their frikking tour updates :mad:

After much thought, we have decided to cancel our EU/UK tour to continue work on our forthcoming album. We do appreciate our fans and promise that we will make it up to you next year.

We look forward to sharing our new music with the world next year.”

In the states you guys did yeah, not a single gig in Europe.

Futureman

yea that would suck. Feels bad man.

can't believe it's been so long since their last album... was probably my least fav album of theirs. But their more recent EP was pretty great IMO.

This lineup is kiiiinda weird compared to last year (what the heck Weezer and Bone Thugs?) but you know what i'll probably still be there. my friend is gonna be stoked that Craft Spells are there, and i've been wanting to see Swimmers again

B4aPcVvCAAAX3_a.jpg

i'm not really feeling it too much overall though, i've seen a lot of these bands at Burger events before.

Linius

This lineup is kiiiinda weird compared to last year (what the heck Weezer and Bone Thugs?) but you know what i'll probably still be there. my friend is gonna be stoked that Craft Spells are there, and i've been wanting to see Swimmers again

B4aPcVvCAAAX3_a.jpg

i'm not really feeling it too much overall though, i've seen a lot of these bands at Burger events before.

Sweet line-up. Gotta promote Jacco Gardner as a Dutchman.

But man, Ty Segall, Black Lips, together PANGEA, Ariel Pink, FIDLAR, Weezer, Cosmonaura, J Mascis (not sure how is solo stuff is?) and White Fence on one poster is pretty tight. That makes me think I'll probably dig more of the stuff I haven't listened to before.

overcast

Any of you guys check out Purity Rings new single? (Not sure if it would go here or electronic thread).

Either way, it's safe and cleaner than their last record. Feeling pretty let down.

So my band, based in Kingston upon Hull, UK, released our debut album 'Come Home Soon' a few months ago on our friend's label.

It might be worth a listen if you like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, The Vines, The Beatles, Arctic Monkeys - at least they're some of our influences.

Here we are playing a session for the BBC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVPlBx2ncQ

tumblr_inline_n8epxxFchp1ry982l.jpg

01 | Pretty Face
02 | Treat That Girl
03 | You Look Like Your Mother
04 | My Bad Dream
05 | I Could Be You
06 | Beaten
07 | Break It Up
08 | Forbidden
09 | When You’re Gone
10 | Everyone’s Dead
11 | A Stone’s Throw

The album can be listened to here: https://wearefelony.bandcamp.com/ and is also on iTunes/Spotify.

If you like what you hear, you can find more below:

http://www.wearefelony.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/wearefelony
http://twitter.com/wearefelony
http://instagram.com/wearefelony
http://www.youtube.com/user/tastethepotion
http://soundcloud.com/wearefelony

Cheers :)

Closer Two

I've been on a big Mac Demarco binge for the last month.He's a fantastic guitarist and writes really great hooks. His lyrics can be good too but a lot of the time they're fairly typical.

Rock and Roll Nightclub > 2 > Salad Days > Ying Yang

I think 2 has the best singles and Salad Days is the most consistent but I just love the tone and concept album feel of Nightclub way too much. At first I didn't know what to think of it but damn it really grew on me.

amnesiac

I've been on a big Mac Demarco binge for the last month.He's a fantastic guitarist and writes really great hooks. His lyrics can be good too but a lot of the time they're fairly typical.

I think 2 has the best singles and Salad Days is the most consistent but I just love the tone and concept album feel of Nightclub way too much. At first I didn't know what to think of it but damn it really grew on me.

This video featuring him is one of the funniest things I've ever seen (NSFW language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiYmS18cZM

Fjordson

Any of you guys check out Purity Rings new single? (Not sure if it would go here or electronic thread).

Either way, it's safe and cleaner than their last record. Feeling pretty let down.
I like it, but I'm in a very pop music mood lately. It's catchy.

Yeah, Mac is great. Tough for me to rank them since I enjoy all of them, though I like the recent laid back stuff so I might put Salad Days on top.

overcast

I like it, but I'm in a very pop music mood lately. It's catchy.
I feel you. I love pop, but it just lacked that darkness and the drowned vocals from their first record which I was a big fan of. Less atmosphere. It could not be part of their (unannounced) record, idk.

Edit: Speaking of which I was surprised at how poppy that Caribou record was in comparison to their last (haven't listened to anything else). Not a bad thing at all.

faridmon

Recently got the new Johnny Marr album. Its good. I don't how memorable its gonna be in comparison to the previous one, but its certainly catchy and filled with trademark Marr Guitar riffs which I absolutely love. His vocals seem to have gained a lot more confidence but at the same time, he seems to be trying too hard in some spots. Overall, as far as first impressions go, its a thumbs up from me.

Also, got the new Superfood album and its called ''Don't say that''. if you like Britpop, then this is a good one. Personally I don't like the genre, but this album ads alot to a tired formula. There is grunge riffs, Post-punk grooves and overall silly and fun lyrics. Another thumbs up from me.

Also, is the new Megan Washington album even out in UK? I am trying to find it on Amazon mp3s and I can't find it. Bloody hell! I want my album dammit!

Fjordson

Could anyone recommend me some bands / albums similar to these Foxygen singles:

http://youtu.be/PqW7EfA3VWE

http://youtu.be/u5BGbVYF6YI

http://youtu.be/OC7GRgWmpGM

It's like...70's LA soft rock sort of. I'm bad at describing music, so that may be inaccurate, but it's what I think of when I hear these. These are why I had such high hopes for ...And Star Power, but they're really anomalies within the album.

This video featuring him is one of the funniest things I've ever seen (NSFW language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiYmS18cZM
That's hilarious. Love Mac so much.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Could anyone recommend me some bands / albums similar to these Foxygen singles:

It's like...70's LA soft rock sort of. I'm bad at describing music, so that may be inaccurate, but it's what I think of when I hear these. These are why I had such high hopes for ...And Star Power, but they're really anomalies within the album.

Man, just go right to the source!

Diablos

I've gotta say, Salad Days by Mac DeMarco is really awesome. Melodic bliss. Something tells me he's not quite right in the head, but hopefully he just sticks to making solid albums. This is addictive.

Something about the simplicity of his voice and his trippy but stripped down guitars. It just works. It just fucking works.

Fjordson

I've gotta say, Salad Days by Mac DeMarco is really awesome. Melodic bliss. Something tells me he's not quite right in the head, but hopefully he just sticks to making solid albums. This is addictive.

Something about the simplicity of his voice and his trippy but stripped down guitars. It just works. It just fucking works.
Definitely. I love how his albums sound, especially the guitar.

Puts on a quality live show also. Sounds good and he likes to interact with the audience. Real funny dude.

Linius

This is pretty cool. We have this concept that translates to 'Indie City' which in Amsterdam every year. It's a kind of festival but also a general concept of having Indie bands play in Amsterdam venues. And they have a passe partout kind of thing on sale for it. And this year it's only 25 euros for Early Bird buyers. With that pass you can go to 52 gigs in 2015 and they'll announce them as the year goes by. And here's the first list:

> Tee Pee Records Night – Harsh Toke e.a. (8 januari)
> Dondergrondse: Ravage Ravage DJ’s (8 januari)
> Cymbals Eat Guitars (20 januari)
> Natalie Prass (29 januari)
> Waxahatchee (1 februari)
> Stephen Steinbrink & French Quarter (8 februari)
> RAWK! Twin Peaks e.a. (12 februari)
> Gaz Coombes (16 februari)
> Team Me (23 februari)
> BRNS (24 februari)
> Alex G 25 februari)
> Spain (band) (11 maart)
> Sleater-Kinney (19 maart)
> Evan Dando (22 maart)
> Godspeed You! Black Emperor (30 april)

This is so worth it. If I go to maybe 10 gigs I'll end up paying 2,50 euros each, that's nothing :D

Sobriquet

This is pretty cool. We have this concept that translates to 'Indie City' which in Amsterdam every year. It's a kind of festival but also a general concept of having Indie bands play in Amsterdam venues. And they have a passe partout kind of thing on sale for it. And this year it's only 25 euros for Early Bird buyers. With that pass you can go to 52 gigs in 2015 and they'll announce them as the year goes by. And here's the first list:

> Tee Pee Records Night – Harsh Toke e.a. (8 januari)
> Dondergrondse: Ravage Ravage DJ’s (8 januari)
> Cymbals Eat Guitars (20 januari)
> Natalie Prass (29 januari)
> Waxahatchee (1 februari)
> Stephen Steinbrink & French Quarter (8 februari)
> RAWK! Twin Peaks e.a. (12 februari)
> Gaz Coombes (16 februari)
> Team Me (23 februari)
> BRNS (24 februari)
> Alex G 25 februari)
> Spain (band) (11 maart)
> Sleater-Kinney (19 maart)
> Evan Dando (22 maart)
> Godspeed You! Black Emperor (30 april)

This is so worth it. If I go to maybe 10 gigs I'll end up paying 2,50 euros each, that's nothing :D

That's amazing :eek:

Linius

j0vp2CWarozyY.jpg

Albums I've listened to the past 12 months. Amount of plays is visible in the top left corner. You can make one here if you have Last.fm.

Almost exclusively 2014 albums in my case. Right behind these 25 are two classics from Neutral Milk Hotel and The Replacements actually :p

big ander

Only partly representative of what's in my top 10, since number of tracks skews this, but the top row at least is pretty spot-on.
Happy I finally got around listening to Alex G. Totally my jam. That moment you realize what Big Anders avatar is.

Hah yup. this album art's stuck with me for some reason, despite seeming so basic.

Linius

My year in gigs came to end yesterday and for that exact reason I waited with looking back on it with a list. I had this feeling yesterday was going to be a special one, and it was. Number 7 on the list. Don't take my list too serious by the way, I enjoyed all of those a great deal. But from the 101 gigs I've seen this year these are the ones I want to highlight the most.

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - Le Guess Who? May Day (Utrecht)
2. Damon Albarn - Down the Rabbit Hole (Beuningen)
3. Spoon - London Calling (Amsterdam)
4. Ought - Le Guess Who? (Utrecht)
5. Slowdive - Best Kept Secret (Hilvarenbeek)
6. Interpol - Best Kept Secret (Hilvarenbeek)
7. Typhoon - Paradiso (Amsterdam)
8. The War on Drugs - Paradiso (Amsterdam)
9. The Van Pelt - Ace Hotel (London)
10. The Antlers - Paradiso (Amsterdam)
11. Arcade Fire - Sportpaleis (Antwerp)
12. The Notwist - Best Kept Secret (Hilvarenbeek)
13. Massive Attack - TivoliVredenburg Ronda (Utrecht)
14. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Lokerse Feesten (Lokeren)
15. together PANGEA - Best Kept Secret (Hilvarenbeek)
16. Parquet Courts a.k.a. Parkay Quarts - Le Guess Who? (Utrecht)
17. Pearl Jam - Ziggo Dome (Amsterdam)
18. Beck - Heinken Music Hall (Amsterdam)
19. Cut Copy - Rock en Seine (Paris)
20. Protomartyr - Windmill Brixton (London)

Honorable mentions: Portishead, Nas, Nils Frahm, Ty Segall, Cloud Nothings, Arctic Monkeys, St. Vincent, Daryll-Ann, Cheatahs, Real Estate and Mac DeMarco.

overcast

Oh I would love to do a favorites of the year concert thread honestly. Could be fun.

I'm seeing Neutral Milk Hotel on this next tour of theirs. Supposedly the last for a long while according to Mangum.

Steamlord

Yeah, I grabbed tickets as soon as I heard NMH won't be touring again for a long time (aka maybe never), even though it's a longer drive than I'd usually be willing to make.

Also, why did nobody tell me that Chrome released a new album and that it's amazing?

Fjordson

I didn't see a ton of shows this year sadly. Best one I did go to was maybe Mac DeMarco or Tennis.

This may sound weird, but I also thought Fleetwood Mac at the Hollywood Bowl put on a great show. Not a huge fan, but my wife loves 'em so I got us tickets and I have to admit that they were damn good. I believe their tour this year was the first time their 70's lineup was back together in like two decades.

Linius

Why would that be weird? Nothing wrong with some Fleetwood.

I got a ticket to U2 for my birthday last week. Veeeery early birthday present, U2 are here around my birthday next year on september 9. And for Christmas I got a ticket to Interpol next month. Saw them earlier this year in the summer for the second time and they were in great form. Now I actually know the El Pintor songs (it wasn't released back then) I'm really looking forward to seeing them again.

Fjordson

Haha, weird was probably the wrong word. I guess my experience with older bands who reunite has just been really hit or miss, so I was surprised they were that good after all these years.

Also helps that the Hollywood Bowl is a pretty cool venue.

idk 2000s era Elvis Costello and the Imposters had one of the tightest sets I've ever been to. Sometimes older acts just click.

Also my life turned into a malestrom of being way to fucking busy which killed my chance to see Ought, Iceage, and Sub Kil Moon. With that in mind Neutral Milk Hotel was my show of the year by a long shot. The National being a respectable second if only for the massive amount of rye I paired the show with.

Linius

The National are quite a brilliant live act. Matt is something else on that stage, damn.

Oldest act I've seen is Leonard Cohen. One of my more memorable gigs troughout the years. What a man.

Top Bottom