• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

overcast

That doesn't sound too good on the part of Speedy Ortiz. Loved their first record. Seeing them live next month. Alex G opens, so either way it'll be great show.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Palehound & Alex G are opening for my show.

I really love Palehound's "Bent Nail" EP, so I feel like I can't lose

K.Sabot

My 5 records so far in 2015 are probably
-Mount Eerie
-Vietcong
-Jenny Death
-Clarence Clarity
-Lightning Bolt

honestly I think I've heard more OSTs that I've fancied than actual albums that I've grown attached to.

Linius

Speedy Ortiz just got added for my gig pass. So I'm going to see them again then, in october. Liking the new record by the way.

chris121580

My favorites of the year so far. This has been one of the best years in a long time and it's only April!

Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Balcony
Twin Shadow - Eclipse
Buxton - Half a Native
Houndmouth - Little Neon Limelight
Twin River - Should the Light Go Out
Chadwick Stokes - The Horse Commanche
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Title Fight - Hyperview
Viet Cong - Viet Cong
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love
All We Are - All We Are
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
Lord Huron - Strange Trails
DCFC - Kintsugi
Young Fathers - White Men Are Black Men Too
Toro y Moi - What For?
Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves

Linius

Since no one is even mentioning Sufjan I have to ask. Why are you guys not mentioning him?
02Do2Ff.png

Fjordson

I don't know what my favourites are so far this year. Nothing has really blown me away. Maybe Colleen Green's new one, Yumi Zouma's second EP or the Laura Groves Committed Language EP. Hopefully Bully and Chromatics deliver in the near future.

Twin Shadow's new one is god awful.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in it.

I still like Old Love / New Love though.

i really like dvrk wvrld and the graduates on the new speedy but yeah, their guitar aesthetic is big part of why they're cool--stuff like the song puffer sounds like some awkward mishmash of yeah yeah yeahs and nicki minaj.

big ander

Yowler's on my notable list but as a solid 7 or so. I like the all dogs project a lot better, iirc they recorded an LP earlier this year so hopefully that'll come out soon

Waiting for that album that's gonna brighten up spring, maybe it'll be MCIII.

Top 5 would probably be Viet Cong, Kendrick, Mount Eerie, Sufian and Father John Misty.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I like that Yvette album, although the opener really sets it off in a way the rest can't quite live up to.

Of this year's [indie/rock] stuff, the James Blackshaw and Swami John Reis albums are the only things I've kept around for repeated listens.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Anyone else pick up anything for RSD?

So happy I got the Manic's album, love that one so much

A modest grab, but it was exactly what I went for. (And the last copy of each on the floor. The crowd wrangler was yelling that Polaris would be really hard to grab, as I was at the register paying for it.)

PETRIP-TNT will so thrilled to see that you bought the Springsteen LP. ;)

Hahah!! Guilty as charged...

I am not even mad at people buying the records, I am mad at the labels pressing them and clogging up every single pressing plant out there. I think I posted on the vinyl GAF thread about the subject and sort of frustrates seeing so many releases postponed...

I am going to go to this bar to see my friend who is DJ'ing there, I'll ask if he could play some Bruce in your honor mr. Cosmic Bus :)

Oh man, loved his last one. Is it streaming somewhere?

Ditto for this. Have really dug Mikal since the Epsilons days...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Stereogum and Pitchfork both posted decent articles in honor of the 10th anniversary of The National's Alligator. IMO, it's their best and most eclectic album, and I know there are a bunch of folks here who love it as well.

HiResDes

I've never understood the love for The National, Moz at age 60 is a more interesting and novel song writer than they'll ever be in my opinion.

big ander

That can't be true because coldplay just sound like late U2 and national don't really sound like late U2.

also, hmph at this Speedy Ortiz record. I love Homonovus and loud Puffer and noise pop-punk Swell Content after are nice...but otherwise this is a bust. They try a lot of little tics and touches, from the addition of synths to the sometimes folkier sound of the guitars, but rather than make their sound specific in a new way they feel sorta blandly alt rock. Homonovus at least has that earwormy post-hardcore element. Even Dupuis' lyrics didn't impress me much.

Servbot24

Banned
That can't be true because coldplay just sound like late U2 and national don't really sound like late U2.

Also Coldplay sound just like Radiohead. And Muse ripped off Radiohead. The National, U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, Muse - they're all basically the same band.

Yeah it's great somber lullaby music.

If all you hear is a lullaby then you're really not getting it at all. Which is fine. Not all music should be for everyone.

Top Bottom