• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Courage

Cosign the indifference towards The National. Even if there's a point, their albums never entice me to dig into them since they're so boring on a purely sonic level.

Servbot24

Banned
Cosign the indifference towards The National. Even if there's a point, their albums never entice me to dig into them since they're so boring on a purely sonic level.

Yeah, if their vibe doesn't interest you then there's no point. Once you get into it there's plenty of variation and nuance to appreciate, but there's no need to force yourself it's not that interesting to you as a whole. To me it's engaging and interesting, but I totally understand how to others it would just sound like a boring North American Indie Rock blob.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is honestly how I felt about them at first, but after further listening I realized how wrong I was. It took a while for me to appreciate them; I don't know why I gave them another chance, but I'm glad I did. I don't really know how to properly put it into words, but their instrumentation is just so lush and layered and intricate – it's far beyond Generic Indie Rock Band #2563. The drumming, for example, is fucking masterful.

But, like Servbot said, there's no sense trying to force yourself to "appreciate" something if it doesn't come naturally! I just think there's more to their sound than meets the eye, er, ear.

faridmon

that mew's record is terrible.
From the singles, I feel they went far into their assess and came up with a complicated mess of an orchestral pop.
I am kind of enjoying it (since I have enjoyed bands that tend overproduce their pop music such as Young Dream and Team Me) but I can definetly see the negatives in their latest album. Its just too messy!

The new Joywave is sooooo good. playing it on repeat!

Linius

Can't wait to check it out. Gonna see them in may, curious to know how they are live. Heard great things about their shows.

In other news, Blur is 'out there'.

thabiz

Yeah, I can get that. It's pretty weird at first probably. Give it some time, it might just hit you at a later point.

his voice was just the beginning.

its pretty poppy for my tastes. ill pass.

new blur is crap except i thought i was a spaceman.

Linius

On second thought, our tastes really don't line up much Thabiz
p1kx90C.png

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Oh, well, I could never feel engaged by The National, either.

Imma check that Blur out, though

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Really Coldplay is pretty fantastic though. It's just that they sound so unlike it's kind of a bizarre comparison. Both of them get sad sometime I guess.

I think he meant the comparison more on the two bands' blandly inconsequential existence rather than their actual sound 😪

thabiz

comic gets it.

they are all the same band.

this happens every decade, in every genre. same shit, different suit. its a product of time, not quality.

you can toss elbow in there too.

Servbot24

Banned
Fair enough, just seems like a strange critique to say The National is inconsequential in the big picture*

*and so is everything else

thabiz

Fair enough, just seems like a strange critique to say The National is inconsequential in the big picture*

*and so is everything else

but it is. it all is. are they truly a groundbreaking band? will they be held to those standards 20 years from now?

its music. theres a billion bands out there. 90% of them are copies of copies of copies.

the other 10% are breaking new ground. sadly, the national is not one of those bands.

HiResDes

I'm gonna revisit Boxer, Alligator, and High Violet since so many people I respect enjoy those albums, but even amongst the other post punk revivalists they never stood out. Blood buzz Ohio was cool, but only because I relate.

Servbot24

Banned
I have no idea what BBO is about but goddamn I love that song.

I'm making so many National posts but I don't think I've listened to them in years, lol.

So song for song this Mew album is excellent. Only issue is that it has absolutely no flow, which is really surprising given their last couple albums.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So Carpark Records ran out of Speedy Ortiz vinyl, and had to delay my order. As an apology, they will send me an additional Carpark LP of my choice.

Any Carpark acts IndieGAF particularly likes? I'm partial to guitar/human being drummer/analog stuff. I recognize Cloud Nothings. Anything else?

HiResDes

So Carpark Records ran out of Speedy Ortiz vinyl, and had to delay my order. As an apology, they will send me an additional Carpark LP of my choice.

Any Carpark acts IndieGAF particularly likes? I'm partial to guitar/human being drummer/analog stuff. I recognize Cloud Nothings. Anything else?

Get Cloud Nothing's Attack on Memory or Beach House's Teen Dream

Linius

Beach House and Cloud Nothings are solid recs. Popstrangers is cool too, though very specific, not for everyone.

Any who, I just have to mention that Wand's new record is great. That's Wand the garage/psychedelic band from LA. They toured with Ty Segall last year, and that's also the best reference for their music. If you're into Ty, Fuzz, Meatbodies etc. this band is an absolute must-listen. Last year's debut album called Ganglion Reef was on my AOTY list. This new one got the same potential.

dHeNhV6.jpg

Complete album on Youtube.

Linius

It doesn't even surprise me anymore that albums pop up months before their release date. Some artists actually decide to just do a proper release then right away, I believe Bjork did that this year.

I completely forgot that Braids didn't come out already.
Just assumed that I didn't notice any blog coverage because P4K seems to be on a crusade to put a damper on 2015's hype.

I am liking the new built to spill though. Although I don't know how much repeat play it's gonna get from me.

but it is. it all is. are they truly a groundbreaking band? will they be held to those standards 20 years from now?

its music. theres a billion bands out there. 90% of them are copies of copies of copies.

the other 10% are breaking new ground. sadly, the national is not one of those bands.

How does that effect making a great album? Name an indie rock album from the 2000's that doesn't have a clear lineage AND had a lot of traction.

faridmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPftL85K7AU

New single by I Was a Teenage Satan Worshipper, and new album soon (first in 4 years) and the change is surprising, for a band that was an synth/indie pop one, rock based Shoegaze is the last I would have xpected. Its great evolution, me thinks.

It doesn't even surprise me anymore that albums pop up months before their release date. Some artists actually decide to just do a proper release then right away, I believe Bjork did that this year.

Certainly, but the fact that one doesn't even know when the album is getting a release because its been out there for months takes this whole thing a step further.

faridmon

Stealing Sheep gig re-scheduled from the day after tomorrow to September 30th. I was really excited to see them, and it sucks that they delayed it to a month that is quite hectic schedule wise.

Top Bottom