• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

hidys

I don't know what to feel about this. It's good, but none of the tracks released so far have hit me like Feels Like and Expectation did when I first heard them.

They've clearly altered their sound to be a bit more synthpop. This is not surprising given Kevin Parker's musical tastes. Me personally I absolutely loved both tracks and am looking forward to what they put out.

going to be a dope record.

I agree am looking forward to it.

Aizo

Banned
Just bought/listened to Sufjan Steven's new album. Nice, depressing return to form for him. I haven't been so depressed by his music since Casimir Pulaski Day.

Fjordson

New Bully single "Trying"

I love this band. Just something about the songs they've put out so far that really gets me. Think it may the vocals, she has an awesome voice.

edit: apparently lead singer Alicia Bognnano writers all their stuff, but also produces, engineers and mixes it all herself. Sweet.

chris121580

I don't really know how to classify the new Young Fathers album but it's really awesome. I guess you could make a comparison to earlier TV on the Radio. Highly recommend checking it out

Futureman

New Waxahatchee is out today!

I don't think it's as good as "Cerulean Salt," but it's solid overall. I had a friend who was possibly making a video for her so I've heard the album a handful of times already. I'd say it's a grower while "Cerulean" hit me right away. "The Dirt" and "<" are my favs.

kinda weird but thought I'd share... I was at her show in November in DC. I guess I "wooo"ed after a song and that's a big NO NO at Waxahatchee shows haha. The Radiator Hospital guy tweeted after the show "Death to woo guys at Waxahatchee shows" and Katie mentioned it again in an interview on Pitchfork I just read. I guess she doesn't like when a song has personal lyrics and she thinks woos are "broish" or something?? I dunno. Kinda turned me off a bit. If you are a popular artist people are going to like your music for different reasons. I'm not a big lyrics guy, so if I like a song it's generally because I like the music and it gets my toes tapping...

anyways, she also mentioned in the Pitchfork interview that her next album is most likely going to be like "American Weekend," so I think some folks will be happy about that.

big ander

New Waxahatchee is out today!

I don't think it's as good as "Cerulean Salt," but it's solid overall. I had a friend who was possibly making a video for her so I've heard the album a handful of times already. I'd say it's a grower while "Cerulean" hit me right away. "The Dirt" and "<" are my favs.

kinda weird but thought I'd share... I was at her show in November in DC. I guess I "wooo"ed after a song and that's a big NO NO at Waxahatchee shows haha. The Radiator Hospital guy tweeted after the show "Death to woo guys at Waxahatchee shows" and Katie mentioned it again in an interview on Pitchfork I just read. I guess she doesn't like when a song has personal lyrics and she thinks woos are "broish" or something?? I dunno. Kinda turned me off a bit. If you are a popular artist people are going to like your music for different reasons. I'm not a big lyrics guy, so if I like a song it's generally because I like the music and it gets my toes tapping...

anyways, she also mentioned in the Pitchfork interview that her next album is most likely going to be like "American Weekend," so I think some folks will be happy about that.

yea I thought those complaints were stuffy. It's sensible to admit that it's odd that people react animatedly to songs that are personal for you, that being open on stage has a peculiar effect on your mindset. but it's ridiculous to complain and condemn fans for it. Especially if it's as simple as shouting "woo"--in years of going to shows I have never thought of that as broish. after songs at every kind of concert people shout "woo" "yea" and clap. it's not a catcall.
Ask people not to have their phones out, alright that's fair and is in an effort to create an experience. Ban moshing at your shows and call out aggressive crowd members, sure that's an attempt to be inclusive I get that. Tell people not to woo because your songs are personal? Fuck that. Keep your art to yourself if you're going to police reactions.

through three listens Ivy Tripp is pretty boring. it's colorless and lyrically bare. Listening to songs individually might change that a bit for me; I'm so dulled after the first three tracks that La Loose thru < can't pull me back even if moments in there are nice.

big ander

Reaction to the new Toro y Moi is lukewarm which I don't really get when set against the adoration dumped on every second of music Kevin Parker puts out. tons of surface overlap with What For? and every Tame Impala release working in psychedelic poprock, and both trying to cut that sound with festival-ready tweaks from Parker's robot rock to Bundick's hazier funk dance and house. Don't feel very strongly myself about either TyM's new record or the songs from Tame Impala's upcoming one but it seems like there's a gulf between their reception

w/e the new UMO album will blow both out of the water

Linius

A new UMO is certainly something I look forward for.

Currently listening to the new My Morning Jacket. Not sure how I feel about it yet at the halfway point. But it's not bad.

amnesiac

New My Morning Jacket is great. I think fans of their older stuff will enjoy this more than the last couple albums.

In Its Infancy (The Waterfall) might be one of my favorite MMJ tracks ever.

Steamlord

New St. Vincent track is pretty chill. Nothing mindblowing but I like it. Also it seems she's back to her natural hair color. Very important and relevant information.

But y'know, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the emphasis on choreography she's had in her live performances since her s/t... I feel like she's a more interesting performer when she just lets the spirit take her and does her weird stutter step dancing and guitar abuse and actually talks to the audience instead of having it all planned out in advance. She seemed so much more, I dunno, distant when I saw her last year compared to when I saw her on her Strange Mercy tour. I guess that's what popularity does to you.

overcast

New St. Vincent track is pretty chill. Nothing mindblowing but I like it. Also it seems she's back to her natural hair color. Very important and relevant information.

But y'know, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the emphasis on choreography she's had in her live performances since her s/t... I feel like she's a more interesting performer when she just lets the spirit take her and does her weird stutter step dancing and guitar abuse and actually talks to the audience instead of having it all planned out in advance. She seemed so much more, I dunno, distant when I saw her last year compared to when I saw her on her Strange Mercy tour. I guess that's what popularity does to you.
Love the track personally, and that performance is great.

As for your second statement, it's certainly to go with her album thematically. I understand you wanting her to kind of let go. Cold and distant is kind of the "act". Has nothing to do with popularity. She was wonderful live when I saw her on her last tour. Like incredible. Absurdly good guitarist live and had a ton of energy.

Steamlord

Love the track personally, and that performance is great.

As for your second statement, it's certainly to go with her album thematically. I understand you wanting her to kind of let go. Cold and distant is kind of the "act". Has nothing to do with popularity. She was wonderful live when I saw her on her last tour. Like incredible. Absurdly good guitarist live and had a ton of energy.

I mean, I totally understand the reasoning and it was still a crazy awesome gig. But like, the first time I saw her she actually chatted with the audience between songs and even crowd surfed during Krokodil, and then last year every move was choreographed and every line was scripted. She flubbed one line a little and got a bit flustered, and I was actually glad to see some of her personality come through.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
New Bully single "Trying"

I love this band. Just something about the songs they've put out so far that really gets me. Think it may the vocals, she has an awesome voice.

edit: apparently lead singer Alicia Bognnano writers all their stuff, but also produces, engineers and mixes it all herself. Sweet.

Nice! That's catchy as hell

In other news: how do people feel about the three Speedy Ortiz singles leading up to the new album in 9 days? I haven't enjoyed them as much as I expected. I have tickets to see them in Kansas City (a friend lives there), and I'm sure it'll be a good show, but I'm worried about the record.

chris121580

Was just going to post this. I'm almost at the end. It's excellent; much better than There Is No Enemy.

I love everything they've ever done for the most part but yeah, this album is really great. I love the instrumentals too. Keep going back and forth between this and Alabama Shakes. Both are real good

Nice! That's catchy as hell

In other news: how do people feel about the three Speedy Ortiz singles leading up to the new album in 9 days? I haven't enjoyed them as much as I expected. I have tickets to see them in Kansas City (a friend lives there), and I'm sure it'll be a good show, but I'm worried about the record.

You could give it a shot now, it's streaming on NPR

I dig it alright, gonna need a few more listens though

Holy jesus I think Sound & Color is now AOTY so far. Sorry Kendrick

Gemini is almost some modern day ledzep pinkfloyd shit. i think my mind just melted. The soundscapes on this album are just ridiculous
Over My Head - wow. everyone listen to this with some good headphones. wow.

Futureman

liking this Alabama Shakes... heard of them before but never listened. LIKING IT.

Also, the thread for the album has died down, but I'm still loving the new Modest Mouse. "Pistol" has actually grown on me... only song I don't love is "Shit in Your Cut."

kamineko

You could give it a shot now, it's streaming on NPR

I dig it alright, gonna need a few more listens though

Thanks, yeah I saw SO post the NPR link on FB yesterday. I've spent some time with it, but I need more listens to have a serious opinion about it, too. Sound is pretty different, even compared with last year's "Real Hair." I guess that could be attributed to new guitarist/(relatively) large recording budget/SD no longer writing about her ex-bf. Or all of the above.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Listened to Speedy Ortiz for the first time yesterday and couldn't get past the sense that they were an Elastica tribute band.

kamineko

Listened to Speedy Ortiz for the first time yesterday and couldn't get past the sense that they were an Elastica tribute band.

Wut? really? What did you listen to? I remember Elastica as catchy, forgettable, with a hint of 80's influence.

Which, the new SO album may have touches of that (which is why I've said that I'm a little concerned).

The stuff from "Major Arcana" and "Real Hair" reminds me of guitar-heavy acts like Dinosaur, Archers of Loaf, and Slint. With... maybe some of the posturing from Liz Phair's first (and unfortunately best) album.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It was their newest album; the comparison may have also been influenced by Speedy's singer sounding a fair bit like Justine from Elastica, but the overall sound (on this album, at least) is pretty reminiscent.

kamineko

It was their newest album; the comparison may have also been influenced by Speedy's singer sounding a fair bit like Justine from Elastica, but the overall sound (on this album, at least) is pretty reminiscent.

Ah, I get it, then. I probably wouldn't have picked Elastica, but I get it. I still need to spend more time with "Foil Deer" but all signs point to crushing disappointment. Sound is very different from the 1st album and EP, and not in a way that I like.

Course, all the pre-release hype is pointing to this being their big break, so I guess they won't need to sound like I want them to sound anyway

Steamlord

Foil Deer was a very mixed bag for me on first listen. I'll have to give it a few more tries to form a concrete opinion on it. Definitely didn't grab me as immediately as Major Arcana.

At this point my AOTY contenders are still Mount Eerie, Braids, and Noveller.

Linius

If I have to name five records that stand out so far it would be: Sufjan Stevens, Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, STUFF. and Viet Cong.

big ander

Foil Deer was a very mixed bag for me on first listen. I'll have to give it a few more tries to form a concrete opinion on it. Definitely didn't grab me as immediately as Major Arcana.

At this point my AOTY contenders are still Mount Eerie, Braids, and Noveller.

Noveller for me as well. Along with Panda Bear, Cat's Eyes' Duke of Burgundy s/t, Colleen Green, Courtney Barnett.
maybe Disappears or Trust Fund? Though writing this out is making me realize that while all those are pretty damn good, I haven't been blown away by a record yet this year. have Yvette and UMO and Ava Luna and Hudmo and Elvis Depressedly on the way at least. Metz and maybe Girl Band, Herndon Hot Chip and Jaime xx, Girlpool and Gruesome and Grimes, Wavves/Cloud Nothings and Blanck Mass...still plenty to make it a great year.

EPs/mixtapes have been more reliable. Arca, ari solus and Laura Groves releases are brilliant.

haven't heard a single song from Foil Deer yet. Can't decide if the comments here bode ill or if I'll love it as much as pretty much every single song they've done. for fun and killing time at work my top 5 tracks of theirs:
1) "Taylor Swift" (i've probably spent 50% of my waking hours since hearing this song humming the chorus in my head..."cause now I gotta boy in a hardcore band, I gotta boy likes to fuck to Caaaan")
2) "MKVI"
3) "No Below"
4) "Indoor Soccer"
5) "Tiger Tank"

Top Bottom