• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Sy8b.png

Ty8b.png

Haha, Fantano is the gift that keeps on giving.

King_Moc

Banned
New Bowie album now confirmed on his Facebook page:

David Bowie ‘Blackstar'
It can now be confirmed that ‘Blackstar’ is the forthcoming single and album from David Bowie.
Contrary to inaccurate reporting on the sound and content of the album, only the following can be confirmed:
The single will be released on November 20th and is not part of David’s theatre piece ‘Lazarus’.
The album will be released on David’s birthday, January 8th 2016.

Nirvana

Just found this thread. Been listening to a bunch of indieish stuff recently that I thought people here might be interested in:

Mihra - Adventus (a friend of mine's band) kind of a jazz/soul sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pinZjE9SUM

Sleeping in the Aviary - Girl in the Ground (favourite song from my favourite album from one of my favourite bands)

https://sleepingintheaviary.bandcamp.com/track/girl-in-the-ground

Sahara Beck -C'mon Man You're Dead (kinda poppy acoustic stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKzQltW39U

I'm assuming dumping links in here like this is cool, can never quite tell what's on/off topic on GAF sometimes. Been enjoying looking through the thread and finding music.

Daeda

On a different note: Which people here on Gaf are all going to Le Guess Who? I got tickets but will probably have to stroll through all those awesome bands on my own, so if anyone feels like sharing a drink at some point Im all for it :)

chris121580

I'm still completely obsessed with the new Brandon Flowers album. It's about as good as pop albums get. Lonely Town and The Way It's Always Been are just phenomenal. Top 5 album of the year for me

Linius

On a different note: Which people here on Gaf are all going to Le Guess Who? I got tickets but will probably have to stroll through all those awesome bands on my own, so if anyone feels like sharing a drink at some point Im all for it :)

I'm going, all days for the first time. Can't wait for the timetable.

I couldn't stand it, but I'm not a fan of The Killers either so I don't know.

I love the first few records of The Killers, but they did go downhill fast. Solo Flowers never really impressed me.

faridmon

Was planning to but all sort of set backs appeared this month so I'll have to pass.

Hopefully next year!

Linius

Was planning to but all sort of set backs appeared this month so I'll have to pass.

Hopefully next year!

You really should put LGW? on the top of your priorities list for next year m8, it will be awesome.

Hopefully I can scrape out some money down the line to meet up in London again. Jabberwocky was such a perfect excuse, both line-up as price wize. It's too bad Field Day is so close to Best Kept Secret every year, that would be a nice festival.

faridmon

You really should put LGW? on the top of your priorities list for next year m8, it will be awesome.

Hopefully I can scrape out some money down the line to meet up in London again. Jabberwocky was such a perfect excuse, both line-up as price wize. It's too bad Field Day is so close to Best Kept Secret every year, that would be a nice festival.

Really enjoyed Best Kept secret so I am all for it next year, hope the line-up is as awesome as this year's. Was planning to come LGW since one of my friends was going to it, but yeah, I had to spend alot this month.

I heard bad things about Field Day, with people being pricks and the atmosphere being all over the place, so I am definitely skipping that.

Nirvana

The Killers are probably the apex of bands who fell off early. The first half of Hot Fuzz is significantly better then the rest of their discography put together.

It's Hot Fuss, think you're getting mixed up! Haha.

I actually agree, I think Hot Fuss is their best album by far, but Sam's Town also has some great tracks. The rest of their stuff is pretty mundane in my opinion; Sawdust was just bad versions of their other songs...

How are you guys digging the new Deerhunter? I've only listened to it once and nothing outside of couple tracks grabbed me. Could be a grower tho, love the band too much to dismiss anything without many more listens.

Oh and the new Grimes track is magical.

It's Hot Fuss, think you're getting mixed up! Haha.

I actually agree, I think Hot Fuss is their best album by far, but Sam's Town also has some great tracks. The rest of their stuff is pretty mundane in my opinion; Sawdust was just bad versions of their other songs...

lol yeah. I could never shit talk the back half of Hot Fuzz, that shit is genius.

Meier

Haha so I'm seeing Purity Ring for only 2€ on tuesday because they sold almost no tickets.

That's amazing. If tickets don't sell here in the US, the venue is generally just really empty. I've never seen a firesale like this unless it's a major band and then they might go like half price on a daily deals website. Never anywhere approaching nothing though. Lucky you!

They're quite good live.

Pacbois

The venue seems maybe too big for them considering they havent got a lot of hype in France, also they already played here this year and it's only 3 days after Pitchfork Paris so yeah they have to fill that room.

That discount is also ran by some organisation that has a partnership with the venue. Most of time when sales are low venues here do a buy 1 get 1 free.

Moozo

The Killers are probably the apex of bands who fell off early. The first half of Hot Fuzz is significantly better then the rest of their discography put together.

Really? I think the second half of Hot Fuss is really strong. Believe Me Natalie and On Top especially. Agree though that everything after Sam's Town bar one or two tracks on Sawdust is piss.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
How are you guys digging the new Deerhunter? I've only listened to it once and nothing outside of couple tracks grabbed me. Could be a grower tho, love the band too much to dismiss anything without many more listens.
I disliked it so much that I actually skipped through a number of the tracks before they were even over – something that I virtually never do.

I guess there's just so much other stuff to listen to that I don't really have the patience to try and commit to just one record, especially since I love the earlier stuff they put out. I just don't really like the new direction, and that's fine.

faridmon

Haha so I'm seeing Purity Ring for only 2€ on tuesday because they sold almost no tickets.

Wow, Situations like this is unthinkable to me, let alone to Purity Rig.

I once once saw them 6 years ago in a venue with only 40 people and was magical. Although, I was never fan of their music, their performance was just something extraordinary to me.

Yeah, I only went because Braids were opening for them. Now that is/I] a must-see band.

Fuck, they are playing the same night as Yak and I am still deciding which one to go, this comment is making it even more difficult

:(

Any Mutemath fans? The new album comes out next month, and their 2016 US tour tickets go on sale today, this band is awesome live, can't wait till February.

I'm seeing them tomorrow. Should be alright. I saw some dislike for them on here a while back, but i find them a fun listen.

Yeah, really liked their first album "Crazy for You" and their EP's before that. "Only Place" was a decent listen but their newest LP was pretty awful. Still looking forward to it.

big ander

already excited for a record coming in March 16: La Sera announced a new ryan adams-produced LP, along with officially transitioning from a "Kickball Katy" solo project to a duo. I knew this guy did lead guitar on her last record Hour of the Dawn, and so shares a lot of the responsibility for it being so kickass, but apparently they were also just married. Song has them trading vocals and it sounds good!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
already excited for a record coming in March 16: La Sera announced a new ryan adams-produced LP, along with officially transitioning from a "Kickball Katy" solo project to a duo. I knew this guy did lead guitar on her last record Hour of the Dawn, and so shares a lot of the responsibility for it being so kickass, but apparently they were also just married. Song has them trading vocals and it sounds good!
I loved Hour of the Dawn so much. One of my favorite records of last year.

Not sure how I feel about the male vocals, but I think I might just be disliking the guy because he stole my waifu.

big ander

Guessing this will also be of interest to some: Animal Collective teamed with a scientific art org called Coral Morphologic to put a 23 minute improvised jam (from their first practice in prepping for the new album) titled "Michael, Remember" to footage of an underwater sanctuary in the Gulf of Mexico. performed by the Danse Manatee/Hollinddagain/MPP lineup of Avey, Panda and Geologist. (I'm hoping it sounds like Hollinddagain.) Deakin filmed some of the footage with Geologist though.
Watch here: https://vimeo.com/144051760

Top Bottom