• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Pacbois

whirr got dropped by their label for making transphobic comments on twitter

strange how tough guy hardcore the members of that band are given they make run-of-the-mill shoegaze with wispy vox

They said the tweets were made by a friend running their account. Yea, rite.

faridmon

We live in a strange world where labels have the power to actually remove names from their catalogue and the age of Bands and artist dictating labels is behind us.

I am loving this.

big ander

whirr are an awful lazy band and I hope they continue trying to whinily act ~controversial~~ because that's sooooo punk in order to get 14 year olds who don't know any better to listen to them as they toil away in obscurity tbh

Also the band they "targeted" this time (targeted is a strong word for limp kiddy shit trolling but I can't think of another word), G.L.O.S.S., are fucking great. ideally all that comes out of this is that whirr's remaining fans listen to them: https://girlslivingoutsidesocietysshit.bandcamp.com/releases

edit: and yeah what you said faridmon: feels like we're in the middle of an increase in active, conscious labels. Makes following specific labels more rewarding, even when I don't love every release I like knowing RFC are class acts

Futureman

this thread moves pretty fast and tends to focus on new releases, but I want to put my two thumbs up for Waxahatchee's "Ivy Tripp."

"Cerulean Salt" was my record of that year so "Ivy Tripp" was a little off putting for me at first as it didn't immediately grab me like "Cerulean." It's grown on me though...

I think my top 5 at this point, in no particular order, would be...

Waxahatchee's "Ivy Tripp," Courtney Barnett's "Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit," Twerps "Range Anxiety," Shinobu "10 Thermidor," and Titus Andronicus "The Most Lamentable Tragedy."

Fjordson

I like Whirr's Distressor EP and Pipe Dreams (and Nothing's Guilty of Everything) but they seem like scumbags.

I really wasn't feeling it too much, but it's not bad.
Kinda how it was with me. I enjoyed it, but haven't gone back to it since like a few days after release. Didn't really stick with me like Cerulean Salt.

Not sure why but the new Deerhunter album really isn't clicking with me on a second listen, the only part I really dig is the last 30 seconds of Ad Astra.

Think expectations are just throwing me off, the reviews mentioned it was more in line with Halycon Digest which I don't see at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505323
It's kind of inactive though.

You're welcome.
Yeah thanks I posted on there. Know of anymore female backed shoe gaze bands? I think the women minus the men from Pale Saints and My Bloody Valentine (though Shields is over shadowed by Bilinda Butcher to me) just go together better. It just blends in with all that distortion and reverb to make something pretty cool in my opinion. Your recommendations don't have to be current, 80's stuff is quite fine for me.

Pacbois

Yeah thanks I posted on there. Know of anymore female backed shoe gaze bands? I think the women minus the men from Pale Saints and My Bloody Valentine (though Shields is over shadowed by Bilinda Butcher to me) just go together better. It just blends in with all that distortion and reverb to make something pretty cool in my opinion. Your recommendations don't have to be current, 80's stuff is quite fine for me.

Obviously Slowdive, also Drop Nineteens. Both share female and male vocals and they're so great. (Especially Slowdive)

In current stuff Pinkshinyultrablast and Ringo Deathstarr are pretty good. There's also Asobi Seksu that sadly splitted not so long ago. Also does Blonde Redhead counts as Shoegaze ?

Obviously Slowdive, also Drop Nineteens. Both share female and male vocals and they're so great. (Especially Slowdive)

In current stuff Pinkshinyultrablast and Ringo Deathstarr are pretty good. There's also Asobi Seksu that sadly splitted not so long ago. Also does Blonde Redhead counts as Shoegaze ?
Wait Asobi Seksu split? Fuck!!! Here I was waiting for a new album. I'd like to think Blonde Redhead counts as shoe gaze to be honest.
Blonde Redhead No More Honey
Blonde Redhead Oh James
Blonde Redhead SW
I honestly think with them they're a bit of an evolved form of shoe gaze at times or just flat out shoe gaze, they do change their sound up a lot. Penny Sparkle for example is their least shoe gaze album but it's probably my favorite one next to 23. I actually have Slowdive, had it for months but never sat down and listened to it yet. Sounds like I should check out Ringo Deathstarr.

Ringo Deathstarr - Two Girls

Fuck yeah!! Does all their stuff sound this good?

Steamlord

Sweet Trip - velocity : design : comfort. is an awesome shoegaze / electronic hybrid album. Elements of glitch and Stereolab-ish pop mixed in with the more traditional shoegaze sounds, but it all comes together insanely well. One of my all time favorites.

Astrobrite is great, as is Lovesliescrushing, Scott Cortez's other more ambient-oriented project. Fleeting Joys are a good throwback to old school shoegaze. LSD and the Search for God are really nice too.

On the more dream pop end of the spectrum Alison's Halo is really good. You'll Never Get to Heaven is good for more subdued, ambient-ish stuff.

Man, why is Alison such a prominent name in early shoegaze?

Sweet Trip - velocity : design : comfort. is an awesome shoegaze / electronic hybrid album. Elements of glitch and Stereolab-ish pop mixed in with the more traditional shoegaze sounds, but it all comes together insanely well. One of my all time favorites.

Astrobrite is great, as is Lovesliescrushing, Scott Cortez's other more ambient-oriented project. Fleeting Joys are a good throwback to old school shoegaze. LSD and the Search for God are really nice too.

On the more dream pop end of the spectrum Alison's Halo is really good. You'll Never Get to Heaven is good for more subdued, ambient-ish stuff.

Man, why is Alison such a prominent name in early shoegaze?
So far I'm really digging the Fleeting Joys, they are definitely a throwback to old shoe gaze and I like it. Really reminds me of MBV. Alison's Halo isn't too bad either. Now You'll Never Get to Heaven is proper dream pop mixed with some elements of trip hop, first song on that album sounds pretty cool. How many albums did they put out? I'm only seeing two on their bandcamp page.

Probably because there are no women in Catherine Wheel. :)
That said, if you want to talk about them, I'm your dude. Favorite band ever.
Just noticed that that album is from 92. Why does 90's shoe gaze age so well. I don't mind not having a female, just has to sound right, just have a preference for females. Stuff reminds me of Shields MBV songs and the male sung Pale Saints songs. Their stuff is legit. Does the chick from Savages sort of remind them of Siouxsie Sioux with her vocal delivery? She's less gothic and grandiose than her, but she's not bad at all.

big ander

that's a fucking great song and video. Album is going to be killer.

When I saw them live I thought some of the new songs they played (I remember "Adore" and "Sad Person" best) sounded goth rock-Cure-esque, kinda like Swans playing Seventeen Seconds. thinking back though I could see some of those songs being compared to the second half of Disintegration

that's a fucking great song and video. Album is going to be killer.

When I saw them live I thought some of the new songs they played (I remember "Adore" and "Sad Person" best) sounded goth rock-Cure-esque, kinda like Swans playing Seventeen Seconds. thinking back though I could see some of those songs being compared to the second half of Disintegration
So far Savages remind me more of a less gothic Siouxsie and the Banshees, with less bombastic percussion work. I'm liking the stuff a lot though.

I remember ander saying making that comparison to the live material earlier, The Answer just kind of clicked with me in terms of the song structure and some very emotionally driven goth vibes from the lyrics. Don't think there's any overt sonic similarities there.

edit:
although if there was a goth/punk comparison to be made on second thought it is closer to Sixousie or Three Imaginary Boys/Boys Don't Cry era Cure.

Pacbois

Got some early Cure vibes from some of the news song I got when I saw them in august.

That show tho, it was something else.

I'm not complaining ;). I might be the biggest sucker for early post punk in indie-gaf given my enthusiastic stannery of throwbacks like Iceage's last LP, (fka?) Viet Cong, Protomartyr, Total Control and of course Silence Yourself.

I'm not complaining ;). I might be the biggest sucker for early post punk in indie-gaf given my enthusiastic stannery of throwbacks like Iceage's last LP, (fka?) Viet Cong, Protomartyr, Total Control and of course Silence Yourself.
Does any of that sound like anything I've liked? I can never remember what is post punk? I just checked and I like a lot of post punk. I like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, The Cure, Scritti Politti, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bauhaus and some Psychedelic Furs songs.

prefaces

look at this sweet promo by video

I just wanna thank prefaces for getting me into Dan Melchior, absolutely in love all of his releases and he's so prolific that I'll be diving into his material for months to come.

glad you like him! melchior is remarkably consistent. the only project of his i was unable to get into was the lloyd pack. looking back i probably should give that album another chance cause i was pretty quick to dismiss it. the letha rodman lp put out by siltbreeze earlier this year is worth checking out too.

faridmon

I think I read somewhere that The new Savages album is actually being recorded live rather than in a studio with minimal production value (of course they have to clean it up and stuff)
Can't really wait for it. Their first album was top3 AoTY for me that year.

Speaking of live, Just bought the ticket for All Years Leaving Festival and the I am excited because the Line up is so bloody good!

11986531_1622609534660755_543693228536443584_n.jpg

Cost me about £35 because I was laet for the early bird tickets, but thats seems reasonable. The only problem is that Hare and Hound (the venue) is a pain to get to :/

You guys should check out Makthaverskan.

https://youtu.be/Ous7acNc8Ao
https://youtu.be/8fsDfn8Hz_w
https://youtu.be/J4Dtl9XbUPU (that synth gives it such a nice early New Order vibe)
https://youtu.be/QtoPCCLeiik

Yea, love them. Almost saw them live but they had to play live the same day Blue Hawaii :/

Does any of that sound like anything I've liked? I can never remember what is post punk? I just checked and I like a lot of post punk. I like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, The Cure, Scritti Politti, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bauhaus and some Psychedelic Furs songs.

Iceage's first two albums and Viet Cong owe a certain debt to Joy Division as well as noise rock and post-rock in the case of VC.
Iceage's third draws from Joy Division but also Nick Cave and The Gun Club for being fusions of Punk and Country/Blues.
Protomartyr are probably closer to The Fall or Gang of Four in terms of being less goth and having more emphasis on the political side of punk with a little garage rock added in for good measure.
Total Control are in this vein as well although a lot synthier and less nocturnal then Protomartyr, channeling a bit of Bauhaus in their latest LP.

Savages always work best for me in small and live doses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7uHhCo4qw

Linius

Me too, don't forget Ought in there.

Recently started listening to Comsat Angels and The Sound. Gonna dive into some more original post punk I haven't checked out yet.

Fjordson

Since The Fall was mentioned, just wanna say that the Fall is such a good band. Like wow. I discovered them maybe 6-7 years ago through my brother and it took me like two years to hear all of their stuff. There's so much there.

They're one of my favourite bands ever. Just so many great tracks (and some real shitty ones, but that's okay).

Me too, don't forget Ought in there.
I'd need to dedicate a whole other post to Ought, probably my fav new artist going.

Also if anyone wants to venture in to the more experimental areas of post punk Algiers self-titled debut is a totally solid and criminally overlooked mix of noisy post-punk and southen rock/gospel.

overcast

New Savages album, Adore Life, out on January 22
Cannot wait. The new music they played at FYF sounded nice and they are just so goddamn fantastic live.

Still need to listen to Joanna Newsom and Beach House. Feel like Depression Cherry still has to sit a bit more.

big ander

Caught Bully tonight, not a transformative show only because "all" they do is replicate the album damn well with a lot of energy. Cool Butthole Surfers cover for an encore.

Some band called Heat opened, they were pretty good if not completely distinct. Lot of dual guitar chemistry.
Yeah, The Fall are insanely good. I'm also a huge huge huge This Heat fan.
This Heat are incredible. (Well, outside of the final album that's just repetitive guitar noise for 50 minutes; it's not even good as drone or industrial.) two knockout records, though I like some of the peel session versions better than the album ones.

Iceage's first two albums and Viet Cong owe a certain debt to Joy Division as well as noise rock and post-rock in the case of VC.
Iceage's third draws from Joy Division but also Nick Cave and The Gun Club for being fusions of Punk and Country/Blues.
Protomartyr are probably closer to The Fall or Gang of Four in terms of being less goth and having more emphasis on the political side of punk with a little garage rock added in for good measure.
Total Control are in this vein as well although a lot synthier and less nocturnal then Protomartyr, channeling a bit of Bauhaus in their latest LP.

Savages always work best for me in small and live doses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7uHhCo4qw
So much stuff to youtube later, sounds interesting, and people think rock is dead, lol.

Linius

In addition to Beach House I have to say the band WAND also succeeded in releasing two solid albums. Gotta love the productivity of the average garage rock act.

Linius

Jimmy Eat World isn't the kind of reference that makes me wanna listen to a band. But The Replacements is. I'll give it a go.

Top Bottom