• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Slot Cloggers (NHL 12 EASHL)

zsswimmer

Ok some defensive tips for spectre. I'm sure Vis will be making a point so you'll get a good bit of info.

1. You gotta pressure the man coming into the zone. I noticed you glide towards the middle lane, towards the forward that I'm covering on RD, and it just lets that forward walk in and get a good scoring chance

2. Following point number 1, you MUST use your stick or body check when guys are coming into the zone. It's not even an option.

3. When you get pressured and youre near the net just shoot it around if there's nobody on the other side. If there is, just dump the puck.

4. A couple of times you didn't dump the puck on the PK. As a new player on the team, that's gotta be a priority in a close game. The other guys might not dump it all the time but they've played for awhile.

5. In the offensive zone you need to stay on the wall when the winger has it on your side so the pass doesn't blow past you.

6. If you notice that I'm about to get pressured in the offensive zone start dropping back, I'll do the same for you.

7. Make sure to always know where your guy (the forward you're covering is), a lot of times he was way back near our zone and they got the pass off.

8. Try to not use the shot block animation for blocking passes near the net. It hardly works and like tonight it just ended up going into our own net. I use the dive sparingly but for the most part, stopping a cross creaser is usually best if you just put yourself into the passing lane.

9. Don't be afraid to pass it to the other dman, no need to force a pass through the neutral zone.

Those are the ones off the top of my head that I can think of, I'm sure Vis will have more. Defense is a lot about practicing positioning and getting that feeling of when to pinch, pressure, or stay back. Your camera angle does it, the BaP cam is terrible this year. I personally use the fixed camera angle as it shows a large portion of the ice but a lot of people like the overhead view.

Stat!

A special focus on #6 and 7. We gave up a lot of breakaways tonight but one thing we did REALLY well tonight?

Rarely did we give up odd man rushes (compared to last night). We didn't all chase their defensemen. We were really solid tonight in general. If I didn't miss nearly half my chances by shooting into the goalie's crest, we'd have a lot more goals. Great passing and puck movement tonight.

If I can add a couple more points for all of us in general as we play...

- Force them outside but be cautious of cross creasers. When they are deep in our zone, I'd rather them move the puck around the boards than taking it hard to the net short side.

- In the offensive zone, don't be afraid of just getting a weak wrister off. If you're pressured, you don't need to dance through 2 guys and then wind up for 3 seconds to get a slap shot off. It's an unnecessary risk. Nothing is wrong in getting the shot off quickly especially if you are the last man back or passing it in deep as well.

For me, I know I was pretty shitty in the first game. I did think I was passing a lot better tonight and getting passes off quicker. But alas, I don't know if I was making other monumental mistakes that need correcting.

gg's today to all

SHOW - great job man, I was a little skeptical when you first joined but you've worked out the kinks and have been playing great in all phases. You gotta work on positioning for cutting out cross creases as that's the only hole in your game right now.

SWIM - solid as usual, nice bounceback day for you after some hiccups earlier this week. I saw some opportunities to get some shots on net after the other dman passed across to you a few times, let that swim cannon rip! Only way you are gonna score is by shooting.

ACES - you're play has been solid since you came on. Nice back-to-back OT winners today. You gotta work on controlling your mouth tho. You aren't gonna make many friends and/or be around long by constantly calling out the D in the condescending manner that you have. You focus on your position and let the vets keep everything else in order.

SPECTRE - lots of stuff to work on my man. Defense is tough because your mistakes are magnified and you have to keep track of a lot of different things at one time. You need to get games under your belt, as we can type up all the "how to play d-man" writeups we want, but until you really get a feel for how to play in the EASHL its not gonna make much difference. I'd recommend playing some drop-in games and focusing specifically on playing as a stay-at-home D.

Stat!

ACES - you're play has been solid since you came on. Nice back-to-back OT winners today. You gotta work on controlling your mouth tho. You aren't gonna make many friends and/or be around long by constantly calling out the D in the condescending manner that you have. You focus on your position and let the vets keep everything else in order.

I know it's a problem. I fully admit it. I unplugged my mic for the past couple games as I noticed myself.

I really don't mean to be condescending. I'm not even trying to express condescension or trying to do anything. I know I'm a talkative guy constantly talking in the mic and, I also happen to be ultra competitive. Not a good combination.

I'm just letting out my frustration on stupid things like the puck going off three guys and into our net or the game screwing us over when someone gets caught in an animation that the game forced them into. Also, it is an adjustment for me as I control all the players usually so when someone does something that isn't my specific play style.

In normal online, I play ultra-defense - I make the most defensive of traps look like run and gun offense. So it's like "why aren't you playing the way I normally play?" It's foreign to me to see someone my team playing a different style, since, well, Im not use to that at all.

I'll make a conscious effort to tone it down. I'm sorry if I offended anyone as I did not mean it or was trying to be insulting in anyway.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
7eb4f087096ffab9a64e7df3e2b2a95e.gif

I know it's a problem. I fully admit it. I unplugged my mic for the past couple games as I noticed myself.

I really don't mean to be condescending. I'm not even trying to express condescension or trying to do anything. I know I'm a talkative guy constantly talking in the mic and, I also happen to be ultra competitive. Not a good combination.

I'm just letting out my frustration on stupid things like the puck going off three guys and into our net or the game screwing us over when someone gets caught in an animation that the game forced them into. Also, it is an adjustment for me as I control all the players usually so when someone does something that isn't my specific play style.

In normal online, I play ultra-defense - I make the most defensive of traps look like run and gun offense. So it's like "why aren't you playing the way I normally play?" It's foreign to me to see someone my team playing a different style, since, well, Im not use to that at all.

I'll make a conscious effort to tone it down. I'm sorry if I offended anyone as I did not mean it or was trying to be insulting in anyway.

all good, I got the sense that you didnt mean it, but just wanted to make sure you were aware that a couple people including myself have taken offense to certain things you have said

we have no problem with you complaining about shitty plays that happen during the course of the game (god knows there are plenty of them to go around) or even at missed opportunities, like if someone doesn't see you up ice on a breakout, etc, but there's a way to do it without coming off like an asshole

hey dudes off-topic

I have a couple extra keys for the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier open beta that started today, if anyone wants to check it out let me know.

zsswimmer

Terrible luck in that last game... couple of shitty goals on us and goalie on their team stopping a good bit.

My stick broke on a penalty zone clear(like wtf EA, that shit NEVER happens) and led to a goal.

You guys need to pass back to the point more, me and show were wide open a lot but instead of passing back you blew a rush on another attempted slot pass that gets intercepted.

Not a bad night though, just bad luck. I ended up getting a pretty decent amount of points total, lots of assists

gg's

we grinded all night long, and won most of the games we played somehow

Swim, I don't even think its the passing back that's the problem, we aren't even getting in the zone anymore and then when we do, the forwards aren't going to open areas so whoever has the puck gets stuck and turned upside down most times

I tried to work it around and hit you guys up at the point more as the night went on, but we really struggled to find any rhythm for the most part

Marvie_3

Banned
gg's

we grinded all night long, and won most of the games we played somehow

Swim, I don't even think its the passing back that's the problem, we aren't even getting in the zone anymore and then when we do, the forwards aren't going to open areas so whoever has the puck gets stuck and turned upside down most times

I tried to work it around and hit you guys up at the point more as the night went on, but we really struggled to find any rhythm for the most part
Don't look at me! I stayed on the boards so my man swim had options dawg!

Anyone ever have an issue downloading rosters?

I've cleared cache, deleted everything, reset router and it's still unable to download them.

WTF.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
LOL

One of those games you had like 33 kills what the fuck
Haha yeah I had a 17 kill streak that game. That was so fun though, you're an awesome teammate. You had like 20 some kills yourself. I don't think anyone else had over 10

Top Bottom