• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Got this one :
SNK809J.jpg

And my favourite :

festinanet.jpg

Both automatics.

Kraftwerk

I need help tracking down a watch model:
my dad used to have a rado ,all black.Very minimalist watch and instead of having the usual 12;3;6;9 it had 11;2;5;7; and nothing else.As I said very minimalist.
so any of you watch enthusiasts know this watch or anything similar to it?

misterchef

Neo Member
icrosoft001 said:
What’s the consensus on Stuhrling?

I really like the one available on Chronoshark today but I don’t know a lot about the brand. From what I have briefly seen online, recommendations go either way, which is why I turn to you Gaf...so please share anything you know about Stuhrling…

Pic:
http://www.chronoshark.com/images/product/large/963.jpg

First off, don't ever believe that a Stuhrling watch is ever worth the MSRP/RRP that they give you. The price from the 'sale' which they are always at (from $50~250) is the actual price, so by buying it from chronoshark/amazon/etc. you are not really getting super deal. That said, they can be comparable to other watches at that price point. Obviously, the quality isn't super, but that's what you get buying a mechanical watch at ~$100.

However, In my personal opinion, I would stay away from them just because they advertise such a ridiculously high retail price in order to trick consumers that the watches are worth more than they actually are.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that this was posted ~2 weeks ago.

olore

Sold the IWC and bought this instead:

abc002.jpg

Rolex Submariner 14060 No Date, F-series. Genesis for diving watches. Elegant, timeless, for the future

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
olore said:
Sold the IWC and bought this instead:

abc002.jpg

Rolex Submariner 14060 No Date, F-series. Genesis for diving watches. Elegant, timeless, for the future
yup, it most often boils down to a Rolex Sports model ;)
congrats on the purchase.

i bought a Seiko SKX007 recently, they are going to be discontinued:
IMG_0471_DxO1024x768.jpg

Yoboman

Girlfriend picked this up for my 21st in Dubai

mhd7kl.jpg

Pallas Germany, I don't know much about them nor can I find much online but the watch is great

nitewulf said:
These are some of mine.

Cerruti 1881 - Another gift:

cerrutim3.jpg

cerrutim2.jpg

Really like this one. I love watches, but I'm extremely picky.

Does anyone know of a watch that's similar to this one, but has date/day of the week/month?

olore

OnkelC said:
yup, it most often boils down to a Rolex Sports model ;)
congrats on the purchase.

i bought a Seiko SKX007 recently, they are going to be discontinued

Thanks Uncle, initially I was set on a 16600 (Sea Dweller for non-Rolexista :), but the 14060 timeless features made it stand out. It wears a lot smaller than the IWC and looks the size of a stamp on my wrist... Guess I have to wear it for a few weeks to get accustomed to it. When I think of it the Sinn EZM3 was about the same size. That`s a watch I miss. The lume was very good on that one... Glowed like a torch all night long.

Seiko discontinuing SKX 007? Really? Surprises me since that model is such a no-brainer/sure-buy for anyone wanting an affordable quality automatic sports watch or starting to get a interest in precision timepieces.

Next watch on the to-buy-list is actually a clock, a Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos. Look it up watch-GAF, it is an amazing piece of engineering

MickD

I don't "need" a watch atm. I've always wanted a Cartier ( dress) & a Bell & Ross (casual). I think I'm shooting way too high. Champagne on a beer budget. Maybe one day, dream big. Those Nomos look good too.. man. Think I might spring for a Mondaine soon. Worth it?

Fusebox

Banned
ChanHuk said:
I'm looking to get my first actual grown up watch. I've got my heart set on an Omega, but simply cannot afford the Seamaster Planet Ocean (Daniel Craig's watch) that I want. I was looking into getting a used Bond Seamaster (Brosnan era) for about $1000. Then the Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m Calibre 5 caught my eye......it's like trying to decide between a DBS and a DB9, how do you choose?!?

I've got a Seamaster and an Aquaracer, I can't help you decide though as my Seamaster is a leather-strap vintage style and my Aquaracer is a steel strap modern style (same as the one Stephen Colbert was wearing until recently when he switched to a Monaco) so they're fairly different. You can't go wrong either way though, the only other watch I like as much as these is my original Nintendo Super Mario bros wrist-watch. :D

These are the exact models I've got...

Seamaster:

2801740201_ec4abb3995_m.jpg

Aquaracer:

Tag-Heuer-WAF2111-BA0806.jpg

Mario!

IMG_1229.jpg

J-Roderton

Watch thread? Yes!
This is my every day watch. It's only a fossil but I like it. Nice and heavy.
2cnuwwn.jpg

I have a Seiko at the house. Wear it on special occasions.

nitewulf said:
These are some of mine.

What I wear everyday:

diesel.jpg
I had that watch. It was an awesome watch. But the band FUCKING SUCKED. It broke, they replaced it under warranty, and it broke again.

cnizzle06

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks for the Nomos recommendations OnkelC, they make some beautiful pieces.

I want this so bad:

Nomos.jpg

Above and beyond my finances though :(

Watch Gaf, I'm not a man of means, but I love this look. Also, my wrists are skinny. Any recommendations?

Fusebox

Banned
Cereal KiIIer said:
Hey OnkelC, I had the dumb idea to go into the G-Shock forum on WUS. Fuck...

After only 6 months...

vejFs.png

oOYvW.png

tan8w.png

UPuvM.png

Nice collection but they're all very similar looking? If we worked together and you changed watches every single day I might not even notice.

Fjolle

Every time I see this thread it makes me feel bad for never finishing my nixie clock, and wanting to buy a rolex :(

Sieko Wrist Information Watch :lol

2l83uh.jpg
5z1wgg.jpg

Picked it up at a pawn shop years ago for around $30.
Plays games and does BASIC programming. I'd never wear it outside the house.

Enron

Banned
Been meaning to post these -

The family!

Omega Seamaster Professional 300 2254.50

2uz2fc8.jpg

Omega Geneve ST366.0833 (belonged to my father, broken dial feet leading to turned dial, stainless steel)

2jesf8g.jpg

Omega Constellation OT14393 (belonged to my father, badly in need of a service, 14k solid gold)

2z3uakg.jpg

Planning on sending the Connie off to Bienne for full servicing sometime this year. Currently trying to resist the temptation of adding a Planet Ocean or Speedmaster Pro to the collection this Christmas.

There were two Seikos that were in the rotation as well, but they have since found new homes with a couple of fellow GAFers.

ChanHuk

Banned
Bought my first "luxury" watch. Got me a TAG Heuer Formula 1 Chronograph, i know it's a TAG and not the greatest piece out there, but I picked it up for $550 with 2 years remaining on the warranty. I'll continue saving up for a Seamaster and Speedy though.

olore

josephdebono said:
Any suggestions for a simple, automatic, non-chronograph watch which fits in my €500-600 budget?

Seiko, Longines, Oris. Lots of pre-owned too in that pricebracket

Enron

Banned
For 700ish and sporty you are probably looking at an asian-market Seiko (new), Marathon (new) or used Oris, Longines, possibly Tag.

As far as Seiko goes, I like these...

Sumo SBDC001
s_sbdc001a.jpg

Alpinist SARB015
s_sarb015a.jpg

Alpinist SARB061
s_sarb061a.jpg

700ish can probably get you a slightly used Longines Hydroconquest. I love these and almost bought one before I decided to splurge on my Seamaster.

L3.642.4.56.6.jpg

Enron

Banned
josephdebono said:
So where do you get used watches? EBay?

You can, but I would hit up watch forums like PMWF, watchuseek, etc. to inquire about reputable ebay dealers. Those forums all have their own for sale sections as well, but obviously its a good deal riskier.

Ettie

After recently getting an awesome Saddleback Leather wallet for my birthday, I've taken an interest in owning things that I will never have to replace. Aside from servicing, are quality timepieces like that?

I picked up a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic recently. Its a perfect dress watch as my Tissot is more of sports watch and my seiko is my everyday piece.

jazzmaster-viewmatic-h32515555.jpg

Hey all,

I've always been a fan of digital watches and never really likes the metal analogue stuff, but a lot are still nice. I just purchased my yearly G Shock which is know as "The King of G Shock".

It's fucking huge :lol

GX56-1A_G-SHOCK_1.jpg

GX56-1A_G-SHOCK_6.jpg

casio_g-shock_gx-56.jpg

Not too expensive either, I got it for £90. For next year I will most definitely get the GA-100, but not in white. Too many people are wearing it and it's putting me off

_6070367.jpg

kaskade

I'm thinking of getting into wearing a watch. My dad always gets nice ones.

QCmhZ.jpg

I liked that one but I was thinking about a gshock.

rpSCN.jpg

I like the idea of a solar self setting watch. 100-ish bucks isn't bad either.

Top Bottom