• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Timepiece Thread Of Fine Wristwatches

Brera

Banned
I think 30% is a bit adventurous. I've found 15% to be closer to the truth, maybe 20% if you're lucky.

Omegas, especially seamasters are best sellers and very very popular so 30% is extremely good if you can get it!

I think soapy got an ok deal

Enron

Banned
thesoapster said:
Guess the two dealers around me and the one I went to in San Francisco all offer low discounts. I'm finding non-Omega-dealer online prices for fairly close to what I paid, maybe $100 less (no Omega warranty...lol). Looking through Chrono24, a lot of new condition secondhand watches of the same type are being sold for roughly the same amount I paid, a couple were up to $150 less, quite a few were more (plus you have to add shipping). So, what jeweler do you go to? And I guess I should ask what state (TX perhaps? hehe). That could have something to do with it.

I got mine at Mayor's in Atlanta in Dec 2008. I walked in, told them what I was willing to pay for it (reasonable), and they agreed.

The Omega board over at WUS is full of stories of people getting at least 20% discounts on their purchases. There's plenty of dealers willing to go past that to make a sale. Not a lot of luxury watches are moving these days, as the middle class are largely no longer buying.

Machado said:
by the way is it automatic?

i´M planning on getting one hopefully next year (the watch is two years of my salary LOL) in Miami, any good omega retailer in downtown Miami?

Yes, it's an automatic. The only Seamasters currently offered in quartz it looks like are the Aqua Terra and the 300 M (which also comes in automatic).

TylerD

This is the last watch I bought in 08'. I went with the black to be different.

Seiko Coutura Kinetic SNP017

M1KdK.jpg

Enron

Banned
godels rotating universe said:
Personally I can't stand big chunky wristwatches with metal linked wrist straps and hundreds of gauges and dials. Give me a cheap-ish Swatch over a $Texas Omega any day.

uhm, what? Most Omegas don't have hundereds of gauges and subdials. They aren't all that chunky, either.

godels rotating universe said:
Personally I can't stand big chunky wristwatches with metal linked wrist straps and hundreds of gauges and dials. Give me a cheap-ish Swatch over a $Texas Omega any day.

I don't like chunky watches either. Hence the ones I own. Maybe you're thinking of those 50+mm Invictas etc...? Both my watches look great on a strap instead of a bracelet, too. My Sinn is on the silicone band at the moment :)

Machado said:
thank you good sir, one lest question, the chrono version, does it look nicer than this one?

would you have chosen the one with orange numbers had you not be presented with this option?

The version with the reddish-orange numbers was presented to me. Since I had seen pictures of both I would not have bought one without seeing the other. I prefer my version. As for the chrono version, that's a matter of personal preference. I do like the chrono look somewhat, but honestly I hate small seconds operation. If you don't know offhand what that is, it's the way most chronographs track time. The large seconds hand stays frozen until you wish to time something and start the timer. Normal time is tracked on one of the small faces (just the seconds, hour and minute hands are still functioning constantly). I like using that big, beautiful seconds hand for normal time keeping. Once I found out about this I completely ruled out the Speedmaster watches (that and I like the larger case size...most Speedmasters are 41-42mm I think).

Onkel, I was going to buy the legend diver but got the Hamilton X-landing instead. I will probably end up getting the legend diver later in the year. Such a gorgeous watch!

xlanding.jpg

I just bought two watches as Target, Mossimo brand: $20 each. The leather one has analog and digital, with a nice blue backlight. This is going to be my daily watch.

I also bought a bigger one, more elegant, but still casual. Both look way nicer in person than these low qualith pics, specially the round one. Very nice quality for the price:

8IOHp.jpg

X1nLH.jpg

G-Pink

Currently waiting for this watch to come in from ebay. It's a Vostok automatic with 31 ruby jewels, and is mostly constructed of stainless steel. For $70, it's a steal.

I'm thinking of switching the band out for something that might look better, but I'm not sure if there might be an unsightly gap because of the naturally tight fit of the steel band it comes with.

2114a.jpg

JoeMartin

Two weeks later it's finally here from NZ. Sorry about the shoddy cellphone shot. I'll try to get more up later.

2lk3eo6.jpg

Yes I took the picture before I adjusted the date, hah

Momar

aka Ryder
Hi Timepiece-GAF! I think I posted awhile back about looking for a nice, casual leather-banded (preferably brown leather) watch. I checked out some watches at my local department store and found this one:

sa_24654_sol_a03.jpg

I really liked it! It's really nice and simple, I actually prefer the clean simple design, and I feel like Swiss Army is reliable (that's purely due to my brand perception though). I don't know much about watches, so what do you people think? Here are the rest of the specs: http://www.swissarmy.com/Timepieces/Pages/Product.aspx?category=infantry&product=24654&

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Gaf, can any of you help me identify this particular watch? I found it on ffffound (ha) but there was no info to go with it. tineye has a couple of hits too but they're no help either.
If anyone has any suggestions it'll be greatly appreciated.

vWG9i.jpg

JoeMartin

That would be a Panerai Luminor knockoff (I say that lightly - it's still a quality watch, even if they did straight up steal the design) made by a Japanese company I'm having trouble remembering the name of...

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
JoeMartin said:
That would be a Panerai Luminor knockoff (I say that lightly - it's still a quality watch, even if they did straight up steal the design) made by a Japanese company I'm having trouble remembering the name of...
Thanks, that's most useful. Ironically I much prefer the look of the knock off (unbranded, left handed crown ... though I see the original is also available that way). It'd be fun to find a replica such as that one.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.

The terrorwrist (lol) thread got me wondering about watches. I have small wrists, like really small, so a big piece would not work.
I'm a fan of the Uniform Ware look, but I really can't spend that much.
Simple and small face, thinnish leather band, lightweight...
I haven't the slightest clue on what makes a good watch and you lot seem to so I ask for your guidance, masters.

Edit: Thinking about this one... http://www.zappos.com/timex-expedition-camper-full-brown-green?zlfid=111

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nard Bagman said:
The terrorwrist (lol) thread got me wondering about watches. I have small wrists, like really small, so a big piece would not work.
I'm a fan of the Uniform Ware look, but I really can't spend that much.
Simple and small face, thinnish leather band, lightweight...
I haven't the slightest clue on what makes a good watch and you lot seem to so I ask for your guidance, masters.

Edit: Thinking about this one... http://www.zappos.com/timex-expedition-camper-full-brown-green?zlfid=111
You could try this:
http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBCA001/SEIKO-Spirit-Military-Quartz-SBCA001-SS.html
with any aftermarket leather strap you like.

Enron

Banned
Machado said:
Hi, I want to buy a Planet ocean look-a-like and came up with this site, is it safe to buy from them???

would you recomend me another watch that looks like the planet ocean?

hahaha, good 'ol Alpha.

Yeah, pretty sure their site is safe as they are fairly well known but you might want to check watchuseek forums first.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Machado said:
Hi, I want to buy a Planet ocean look-a-like and came up with this site, is it safe to buy from them???

would you recomend me another watch that looks like the planet ocean?

personally, I'd steer clear of replica watches in general and Alpha in particular. The buid quality is subpar from what I have heard so far. Any watch-savant person will also identify the watch immediately as a replica/copy, giving you a bad rap. Also, Alpha watches get confiscated at the customs office frequently, so you might end up without a watch, but a fine instead.

I don't want to sound snobbish, but if you long for the design, it's worth to save up for the original.
As for the design, try out the usual suspect AKA chronograph.com for a wide variety of designs as well as genuine watches.

Enron

Banned
OnkelC said:
personally, I'd steer clear of replica watches in general and Alpha in particular. The buid quality is subpar from what I have heard so far. Any watch-savant person will also identify the watch immediately as a replica/copy, giving you a bad rap. Also, Alpha watches get confiscated at the customs office frequently, so you might end up without a watch, but a fine instead.

I don't want to sound snobbish, but if you long for the design, it's worth to save up for the original.
As for the design, try out the usual suspect AKA chronograph.com for a wide variety of designs as well as genuine watches.

alphas though can be a good trial run. If you dont know how you will like wearing that 2k+ watch after you drop the coin on it, you can spend 50-70 on an alpha to get a feel for the size and general look.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The better part of the process of acquiring a luxury watch is the time one spends on comparing specs, designs, trying the originals on and comparing them at a jeweler. Honestly, every better jeweler will show you the genuine ones and let you try them on. Way better than shelling out for a replica which is never a match to the original considering movement, quality of built and finish.

As someone who has grown up during a time when cellphones were basically watches I picked up this to see if my recent watch love is a fad.

iJXgA.jpg

If I end up wearing watches often I'll likely end up getting a nice Zodiac.

You wont be able to find an Omega for $1500. Cheapest I've ever seen them is about $3000. Maybe if you go used you might be able to find something for that price, but not brand new.

Enron

Banned
OnkelC said:
The better part of the process of acquiring a luxury watch is the time one spends on comparing specs, designs, trying the originals on and comparing them at a jeweler. Honestly, every better jeweler will show you the genuine ones and let you try them on. Way better than shelling out for a replica which is never a match to the original considering movement, quality of built and finish.

Right, but a jeweler isn't going to let you take that thing home for 2 weeks and let you try it on with different outfits/cuffs/etc. It would suck to spend 3 grand on a nice watch but then realize 3 weeks after the fact it doesn't really work with the stuff you normally wear, is too wide/thick/tall/whatever, or that you just plain flat out don't like the way it looks on you. In that case I think something like an alpha could help. What's 50-70 bucks to keep you from making a 3000 dollar (or more) mistake?

Enron

Banned
Machado said:
ok here's the deal, I'm on a $1500 budget TOPS (I'd say closer to $1000 but I could go the extra mile)

what omega would you recommend me to buy?

In that range you could also check out Longines. Although if you have your heart set on an Omega like I did, settling for something else would be a mistake.

D6AMIA6N

Ok guys I need some help!

I am about to be 33 in July and also love watches, but stopped wearing them a few years ago. I've owned lower end watches in the past, but have gained an interest in more moderately priced watches recently. My wife will hopefully be getting me a new watch for my birthday.

I've owned Victorinox, Skaagen, Bulova, and Fossil. I am looking to spend up to $500 or near it. My career is labor intensive, and my hands get dirty a lot. I'd like to get a watch I can wear daily, with a black colored dial, preferably black metal bracelet, chrono, and have been looking at the Citizen JY0005-50E Skyhawk A-T. My wrist is nearly 7 inches around, so hopefully the large size would not be too much.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on this particular watch? I really like the look of it, but I am also open to other ideas or brands. I really don't know much, so I am going on price and look. How is Citizen as a brand?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Citizen makes great watches for the money, the Skyhawk series is one of their flagships. Nothing wrong with that purchase plan.

Roto13

I wouldn't wear a $500 watch if my job was labour intensive. :p (Though I'd still like to own one for wearing when I'm not working.)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I wear whatever watch I feel like wearing when doing labor-intensive work. Stainless steel is much tougher than any skin/flesh/bone.

D6AMIA6N

When I said labor intensive, I should have said, I work with my hands. I'm not digging ditches or anything like that. Beyond that however, I want a watch that I can wear daily, and one that will last. I know eventually it will get scratched, and a worn look, but to me that is what gives any material item it's character. I want something I can wear daily and still have 5 or six years from now. So..... any other suggestions? I am not set on a black band, but do prefer a black dial, and a sport look to the watch. I would also prefer a medium to large sized dial/case?

actu909.jpg

002280008772.jpg

audemarspiguetmillenary.jpg

Movement
Exclusive hand-wound
skeletonised AP Calibre 2861 with tourbillon
Chalcedony mainplate
Casing-dimensions:
33.90 x 28.90 mm
15 jewels
Power reserve:
up to 72 hours
Cadence of the balance: 21,600 vibrations per hour
Finishing: all parts
decorated by hand

Case
18-carat pink gold, set with 395 diamonds (~ 3.45 carats)
Dimensions: 45 x 40 mm
Water-resistance: 20 m
Sapphire crystal caseback

Dial
Sapphire crystal dial with engraved Arabic numerals
Outer and inner rings in diamond-set 18-carat
pink gold
Gold hands
Functions
Hours and minutes​

HNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I e-mailed Audemars for a price quote. Response?

email said:
I received a message from our website saying that you had asked to receive information on our new Millenary Chalcedony Tourbillon, ref. 26354OR. This watch was launched at our recent show in Geneva, the SIHH 2009 in January.

I tried to call you this evening but with no answer, I left you a voicemail.

This beautiful timepiece is in a rose gold case (45x40mm) and is adorned with 395 diamonds (approx. 3.45 carats). It houses a skeleton hand wound tourbillon movement and a visible chalcedony mainplate (the chalcedony is light blue, a remarkable and unique looking color). It is fitted with a brown stingray strap. Chalcedony, as the name of this watch refers to, is a type of quartz. It has a waxy luster and can take a semitransparent or translucent appearance. Most commonly seen is as in our timepiece, which is light blue.

We should be receiving a piece in the next few weeks. Its current retail price is:
$326,700
. We would be able to reserve you one of these most unique creations by means of a deposit (50%).

I thank you for your attention and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Sheeeyit. LOL @ 50% deposit reservation. Still, it's fucking exquisite, is it not?

ngower

http://www.propertyroom.com/itemdetails.aspx?l=7486951

I bought this on Friday. I'm a bit disappointed as it's already been scratched on the face (left it in my friend's truck while I was doing some painting, he decided to toss it in his glovebox, emphasis on the tossing bit) but it looks find otherwise. I'm going to see if I can get the scratches fixed on the cheap, but it's a bit disconcerting. I'm not a labor-heavy person, but I'd like my watch to take the occasional bump without imploding.

bjscott05 said:
I like a lot of different AP timepieces but that is not one of them.

But still holy shit.
You don't like this one? Really? :-( :-( :-(

and yea, I figured it would be in the $15k-$30k range, making at least reasonably affordable. I had no idea.

bjscott05

Dreams-Visions said:
You don't like this one? Really? :-( :-( :-(

and yea, I figured it would be in the $15k-$30k range, making at least reasonably affordable. I had no idea.

Yeah I'm just not a fan of movement exposed designs in general. And if you think about it most lower end APs are at least $15 and thats without diamonds. My favorite AP is the AP diver http://www.audemarspiguet.com/s/roo-diver/

Classy and not over the top. Really hope I can get one of those someday...

bjscott05 said:
Yeah I'm just not a fan of movement exposed designs in general. And if you think about it most lower end APs are at least $15 and thats without diamonds. My favorite AP is the AP diver http://www.audemarspiguet.com/s/roo-diver/

Classy and not over the top. Really hope I can get one of those someday...
I actually hadn't looked up the price of any AP's before I inquired about this piece. I assumed prices similar to Rolex. I was quite wrong.

I've never been a fan of Diver watches. Always came off too big and bulky for me.

bjscott05

Dreams-Visions said:
I actually hadn't looked up the price of any AP's before I inquired about this piece. I assumed prices similar to Rolex. I was quite wrong.

I've never been a fan of Diver watches. Always came off too big and bulky for me.

Ah I understand then. Outside of a few pieces, divers have always been my favorite...my daily wearer is a Breitling Superocean
Yes I know a lot of people hate Breitlings. Oh well I love it!

Donos

I'm a digital watch only guy and currently wearing a G Shock "Earl of Dawn"

giGwc.jpg

but now i fell in love with another watch from Diesel

eVoba.png

Over my price range atm but i will get this badboy, even if it takes me a year. I love black watches.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
D6AMIA6N said:
When I said labor intensive, I should have said, I work with my hands. I'm not digging ditches or anything like that. Beyond that however, I want a watch that I can wear daily, and one that will last. I know eventually it will get scratched, and a worn look, but to me that is what gives any material item it's character. I want something I can wear daily and still have 5 or six years from now. So..... any other suggestions? I am not set on a black band, but do prefer a black dial, and a sport look to the watch. I would also prefer a medium to large sized dial/case?
Maybe a Sinn U1, UX or something along those lines. Depends on your budget though...

I'm studying up for a first real watch purchase as well. Something in the 1.5-2k range. I'm not going to collect but I'd like ONE nice diver that can be dressed up or down and that is a very durable watch that can be worn every day. So far thinking of Sinn U1, used Omega Seamaster Pro (or maybe planet ocean), Seiko Marinemaster or Tag Heuer 500m aquaracer (the new one).

Anyone have thoughts on these if you could only wear ONE watch? Anything to add to the list?

Enron

Banned
offtopic said:
Maybe a Sinn U1, UX or something along those lines. Depends on your budget though...

I'm studying up for a first real watch purchase as well. Something in the 1.5-2k range. I'm not going to collect but I'd like ONE nice diver that can be dressed up or down and that is a very durable watch that can be worn every day. So far thinking of Sinn U1, used Omega Seamaster Pro (or maybe planet ocean), Seiko Marinemaster or Tag Heuer 500m aquaracer (the new one).

Anyone have thoughts on these if you could only wear ONE watch? Anything to add to the list?

The Seiko Marinemaster is HUGE. I don't think it'd dress up well. Onkel used to/has one so maybe he can chime in.

I own a Seamaster Pro (2254.50, one of the last automatic ones before all this coaxial business) that was brand new under 2 grand. You could probably find a used one of those for around 1200 or so. Seamasters dress up pretty good. They aren't chunky or widehuge and will work as an everyday and a dressy watch. Especially if you get an Aqua Terra. Those dress up great. Planet Ocean is a bit larger, and is the most "tool-y" of the Omega divers (Ploprof aside). Tags are ok, but if the price range is similar i'm going for Omega every time.

4130764699_ee8d283847.jpg

Aqua Terra
23110422102001-20.png

A friend of mine who recenly bought an Omega Speedmaster has got me curious about watches lately...

If I had loads of extra expendable cash I'd want to get the modern versions of Steve McQueen's watches:

Rolex Explorer II (new 2011 model coming out later this year)
rolex.jpg

Tag Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 (blue)
tag-heuer-monaco-calibre-12-caw-2111-fc6183.jpg

I can always dream...

That said, I should get me new batteries for my old Tag Heuer Kirium Quartz as well as my G-Shock someday (as well as a new strap for the Casio).

Top Bottom