• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs: 2017-2018 edition - Vote open until Oct 13th - Win Free RPGs

Battlechili

Banned
Thanks for Cosmic Star Hero nine!

Now we play the waiting game.
I just hope that I wasn't the only person who mentioned Solatorobo in their post essential RPGs list.

Nbz

Thanks for the key! I actually grabbed the game in the Steam sale and beat it the other day! I will be sure to find this copy a good home though

Fou-Lu

Very much the same! I've been using them as ways of identifying games I need to play. The writeups some people give have convinced me more than anything else. After this year, Terranigma has moved up that list. kswiston's great designs for the OPs (and Kuwabara's 'writing/music theme last year) really helps too.

I hope my write up was one of those that pushed Terranigma up your list. Such a beautiful game, inside and out. I think it may have cracked the top 50 this year thanks to underrated votes. Which is great!

kswiston

I hope my write up was one of those that pushed Terranigma up your list. Such a beautiful game, inside and out. I think it may have cracked the top 50 this year thanks to underrated votes. Which is great!

Terranigma didn't have enough mentions overall to make the Top 50, but it tied for the second most underrated votes. I will probably list all of the titles with at least 2 underrated votes in one of the OPs if space permits. I'm sort of regretting not grabbing a fourth reserved post. Does GAF still have that ~28k character per post limit?

People using anime as a negative term is one of my biggest pet peeves on this forum. It contributes nothing.

It's just another form of elitism, really. Which is a real shame, specially when coming from people who claim to love RPGs.

People missing out lots of good games only due to their anime nature.

Edit: anyway, I've got my Cosmic Star Heroine key. Thank you!

Iryx

As I understand it, everyone should have their Cosmic Star Heroine keys now (minus 3 people who explicitly passed on it). Check your PMs.

Thanks again to Robert from Zeboyd games for the generous offer!

If you don't play games on PC, have CSH already, or have narrower gaming tastes, give your key to a friend or fellow GAF member.

I did not get a PM for a key either. Checked the spreadsheet and my name seems to be absent from there.

Surfside

Banned
I received my key. Thank you kswiston for your hard work, making this possible. These writeups were always a highlight for me, as i was still lurking Gaf.
Finally, i could participate for the first time. Feels great!

Also a thank you to Robert, for providing the keys to his game. I'll be sure to check it out.

I'm looking forward to the results.

sadblob

Just wanted to thanks kswinton for hosting this, it's always nice to read other's people thoughts on games (specially RPGs) and I added some of them to my list. I appreciate the time and effort you spent organizing this.

Also thanks to Robert for the CSH key, had it in my wishlist for a while and I will probably play it soon.

kswiston

While everyone waits on the final results to be posted, here is one of the finished banners using the final banner template. All of the various icons and banner components will be explained in the OP when things start going up there.

x6Jk7Cm.png

Xenoblade Chronicles X received 7 underrated votes, pushing it into the Top 50. No other game received more than 4 underrated votes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That looks amazing kswiston! I am excited to see how it looks when it's all done. Thanks for putting this all together!

Eolz

While everyone waits on the final results to be posted, here is one of the finished banners using the final banner template. All of the various icons and banner components will be explained in the OP when things start going up there.

x6Jk7Cm.png

Xenoblade Chronicles X received 7 underrated votes, pushing it into the Top 50. No other game received more than 4 underrated votes.

Wow, that's great!
Both the banner and the fact that it ended up in the top 50. Indeed underrated, I preferred it to XC1.

edit: Thanks as well for the CSH key, been wanting to play this one :)

BumRush

x6Jk7Cm.png

Swiss, the banners are perfect. Really great work.

Xenoblade X has a bunch of neat moments but progression can be kinda terrible at times. And the soundtrack while suffering from poor sound mixing (which seems to be an improvement in XC2 thank god) is absolutely insane from a variety and composition standpoint. Even with all of its flaws there's not much quite like it. Think the original is the better overall package because it's less uneven but I'm glad that the overall progression of complexity and paring down nameless filler of that Xenoblade X made seems to make it into Xenoblade 2 which is exciting. Plus, it really got Monolith Soft to push interesting exploration with alien vistas.

The banners look lovely too.

Fou-Lu

The banner looks amazing and I am happy that Xenoblade X made it to the top 50. It's not my favourite Xeno game, but I still love it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The banner looks amazing and I am happy that Xenoblade X made it to the top 50. It's not my favourite Xeno game, but I still love it.

I thought it was absolutely incredible as an exploration game. You could basically go wherever if you were careful enough, but it always felt dangerous and there was always something fucking cool around the bend.

kswiston

I did not get a PM for a key either. Checked the spreadsheet and my name seems to be absent from there.

Your name got recorded as a lowercase "L" instead of a capital "I"

More people should have taken the time to proof my obviously not perfect data entry abilities :p

That said, I did reserve a key for you so check your PMs in about 60 seconds.

Anyone else who didn't receive a key (that should have according to the eligibility rules) should check this list and make sure that you are A) on it, and B) that I have the proper username spelling listed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11NygxUUHbzKMmPF3fUKiJqE7OYx-TAlf15rfElUN3Ng/edit?usp=sharing

If you edited an earlier post to meet the criteria after I had checked over that block of posts, you were supposed to PM me to be added. I left about a dozen reminders in the past month!

Thud

X is a great game, but as a rpg it's lacking a bit. The side stories on Mira are more interesting than the main story. It also assumes the player knows how to play the game or where to find the manual. Then there's the way story progression is locked, how the last chapter is kinda terrible by design and that tiny piece of paper font lol.

Yes, we haven't even begun and I'm already complaining!:p

(Banner looks great tho)

jdstorm

Banned
Really happy for XCX since it is a borderline top 5 favourite game for me. Its definitely not perfect, but its a game i very much love.

One minor complaint though. 100 hours is on the short side in terms of XCX's true length which is closer to 200+ Hours to do everything.

kswiston

Really happy for XCX since it is a borderline top 5 favourite game for me. Its definitely not perfect, but its a game i very much love.

One minor complaint though. 100 hours is on the short side in terms of XCX's true length which is closer to 200+ Hours to do everything.

Times are based on average "main story" and "main story + extras" completion times as listed on howlongtobeat.com

They generally assume a typical playthrough. So no speedruns, Aeana times, or completionist runs. XBX has a lot of side content, so the range is pretty large. More linear RPGs typically have 5-10 hour ranges.

Basically, I wanted to give people an idea of their time commitment if they choose to start the game. If you are loving the title and want to spend 200 hours doing everything, that's a separate choice.

Bah, I completely forgot to post my submission on time. :[

Sorry Miyazaki, all your game would have been at the top of my list.

That banner looks sexy.

Also, thanks Robert for the key to play CSH. I was debating myself about this game but now the least I can do is enjoy it.

orfax

As I understand it, everyone should have their Cosmic Star Heroine keys now (minus 3 people who explicitly passed on it). Check your PMs.

Thanks again to Robert from Zeboyd games for the generous offer!

If you don't play games on PC, have CSH already, or have narrower gaming tastes, give your key to a friend or fellow GAF member.

Thank you kswiston for organising this thread, it really made me think why I love the games I love (even though I'm not great at putting it into words).

And thank you Robert and Zeboyd for Cosmic Star Heroine. I look forward to playing this game.

zanderace64

Neo Member
Thanks for all the hard work kswiston, the game banner looks amazing!

Cosmic Star Heroine key was a nice and unexpected bonus too, cheers Robert.

N3DS

x6Jk7Cm.png

This looks rad. Awesome work!

kswiston

It's turning out that the major bottleneck in banner creation is getting the correct 4 icons for each title. More specifically, getting the right icons for games that I haven't played.

I have a few people helping me gather info (thanks kayos, thores, and FiveSide!), but if one or two of you are A) pretty well versed in RPGs (especially jrpgs), B) have some time to spare, and C) are willing to join a discord channel to chat about narrative choice and character customization, send me a PM.

Orgen

Awaiting the results :D Thanks for your hard work kswiston and thanks Robert for the CSH key! I'll play it ASAP

x6Jk7Cm.png

I think that we have 5 games in the Top 50 that have never been in the top 50 before, plus a handful of games making a re-appearance after an absence last time around.

The underrated vote for sure put one title into the top 50. However, the underrated vote probably also had the most diversity of any of the votes, so it's overall impact was muted by all of those deep cut picks.

139 different titles were given the Underrated vote. Of those, only 28 had more than 1 underrated vote, and only 10 games had 3 or more.

33 of the games that were given an underrated vote appear nowhere else in this thread.

I actually meant to reply to this earlier and suggest my choice for underrated, XBX, was the one. It definitely fits the "underrated" bill.

It's a bit of different type of game. Still it's my absolute favorite and has so many things that appeal to me. The exploration and variety of things to do are incredible. A testament to fast traversal as well as fast loading for fast travel. A follow-up is my most desired game. 42 is a good number.

I can totally understand why most of the underrated games only got one vote. It fits with the idea that others don't hold the game as high. If you do this Essential RPG again I would put Fragile Dreams as my underrated and my list may be the only one to even have that game.

Thanks for the CSH key Robert, and really excited to see the final list.

Great thread with a lot of insightful and interesting posts. It's always fun to read people's in-depth thoughts on games, as well as discover titles you've never heard or be inspired to play ones you hadn't given much thought before.

jdstorm

Banned
Times are based on average "main story" and "main story + extras" completion times as listed on howlongtobeat.com

They generally assume a typical playthrough. So no speedruns, Aeana times, or completionist runs. XBX has a lot of side content, so the range is pretty large. More linear RPGs typically have 5-10 hour ranges.

Basically, I wanted to give people an idea of their time commitment if they choose to start the game. If you are loving the title and want to spend 200 hours doing everything, that's a separate choice.

No Worries. I didn't mean to come across that harsh. Its just that for a game like XCX 100 hours felt short considering my two playthroughs were around 120 hours just to beat the final boss and including a solid but not exhaustive list of side content. Not to mention XCX has an exhaustive amount of postgame content including both online co operative missions and a handful of superbosses.

Anyway sorry if that came across too harsh and thank you for doing this list.

Top Bottom