• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Kad5

I'm gonna need more info but it sounds like a big no so far. You said you have no software, do you even have Ableton? Launchpad is just a controller and is more designed for launching clips and loops than it is for actual music production.

What keyboard do you have, why can't you hook it up?

I'm getting ableton with the launchpad. Of course it would come with the launchpad edition but i'd get the regular version as well if need be.

And I don't have a cord to connect my keyboard to my laptop.

neos

Hey everyone. Goldenfox just posted up our single. It's progressive house. I'd really appreciate feedback on it! http://soundcloud.com/officialgoldenfox/ourtopia-feat-sabrina-whaley

Great track, an insta-summerhit.
Nothing to point at on the production side, it clearly has that "pro" sound, the main guitar-synth doesn't click with me, but it's clearly my opinion.On the other side, all the percussions in the track are awesomely sexy!
Definitively following your project, best wishes for your work.

Cidfox

Neo Member
Great track, an insta-summerhit.
Nothing to point at on the production side, it clearly has that "pro" sound, the main guitar-synth doesn't click with me, but it's clearly my opinion.On the other side, all the percussions in the track are awesomely sexy!
Definitively following your project, best wishes for your work.

You made a tan man blush. If we're ever in your city send me a private message and I'll make sure you get in free. We're trying to get out and tour soon.

Tr4nce

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but yesterday I downloaded the 'Sunrizer XS Synth' for iPhone, it was free, don't know if it is still free today. But it has a couple of nice sounds to it! Also have to find out if you can export recorded parts. What I do know is that you can export soundbanks.

http://beepstreet.com/

sunrizer-xs-660-80.jpg

Cidfox

Neo Member
Don't know if this has been discussed before, but yesterday I downloaded the 'Sunrizer XS Synth' for iPhone, it was free, don't know if it is still free today. But it has a couple of nice sounds to it! Also have to find out if you can export recorded parts. What I do know is that you can export soundbanks.

http://beepstreet.com/

sunrizer-xs-660-80.jpg

this is pretty sweet. I'm always looking for new sounds to mess with. Now I just need an Iphone :( Who wants to buy me one? Or support a kickstarter for me to buy an iphone! lol. I'm just going to ask a friend to dl this for me.

corn_fest

So I've decided to dive into electronic music creation. I was looking for a cheap but decent MIDI keyboard, and I'm thinking of picking up the MPK mini. What does GAF think? Is it a decent choice, or should I be looking for alternatives?

Cidfox

Neo Member
Got a new single out before the new album comes out in the next couple of months. Would appreciate feedback.

Agent Whiskers - Alive

Some really nice melodies going on here. Sounds way cool.
I feel like a better sub bass would really push the drums harder.
The kick drum you have sounds cool but I think you should layer it with a hard kick as well so you get a Thoom sound rather than an oom. Let me know when the album comes out!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Some really nice melodies going on here. Sounds way cool.
I feel like a better sub bass would really push the drums harder.
The kick drum you have sounds cool but I think you should layer it with a hard kick as well so you get a Thoom sound rather than an oom. Let me know when the album comes out!
Thanks man! Yeah, I'm very much new to music production and it just doesn't come as easy to me as songwriting does so I'm learning slowly. The new album won't be anything like what you heard on "Alive" since I usually leave the more melodic, mainstream-friendly stuff to singles and go a completely different direction in my albums but I'd still appreciate any input you could provide. Thanks again.

Cranzor

I'm just getting into making music. For a month or so I've just been using chiptune VSTs as a way to get into it since they are pretty basic but now I think I want to move on. How do you guys go about finding VSTs? I am decent at the composing part but I am pretty lost after that. Maybe I could post a short little thing I've composed but I am not sure the chiptune sound is really what I'm most capable of. I feel kind of limited.

Also, love your stuff AgentWhiskers. That's a great track.

"I'm just getting into making music. For a month or so I've just been using chiptune VSTs as a way to get into it since they are pretty basic but now I think I want to move on. How do you guys go about finding VSTs? I am decent at the composing part but I am pretty lost after that. Maybe I could post a short little thing I've composed but I am not sure the chiptune sound is really what I'm most capable of. I feel kind of limited."

www.kvraudio.com has a database with listings for pretty much every plugin under the sun, both free and pay, as well as forums dedicated to discussion of them.

goodfella

I just got started with ableton, made my first song. I feel like I have finally gotten a basic hold of how midi works and automation, and how VST's work with DAWs.

Now its just getting to no the programs I use better, get familiarity with synths and how to change the sounds. And I guess building up a library of drum samples?

I thought I'd just post the song, it's very basic, but I suppose I am proud of it in some way or I would not be sharing.

http://soundcloud.com/yelafidelity/downward-pour (Maybe a bit too repetitive, or long, maybe I should cut out some of the middle. Also, I am aware it needs mastering, but I don't know how to master in Ableton yet.))

I was going for something along the lines of xxyyxx, 'About You'.

Can't wait 'till my exams are finished and I can spend more time experimenting.

Listened to both of them, really good stuff.

Where did you get those vocal samples from? Also, if you get them from songs, are you waiting until there is an acapella section, are you filtering out the instruments frequencies, or are you incorporating the other sounds into your song? Thanks if you answer.

Tr4nce

Wow, NI's Massive synth is still on sale for 90 Euro's instead of the usual 180 Euro's!

Damn. Gonna have to buy this soon!

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah it took me a shitload of browser refreshing to get in but I got mine. The site seems heaps quicker now that the initial wave of demand has gone down.

neos

After a heavy production hell, and writers block, I finally completed my new track. It's a progressive Trancy track. It's not mastered yet. It's called 'Asgard'. Check it out here if you like and want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIY9D7YSM_I
Awesome work, i can hear all the work you put in this.
I'm more an uplifting guy, but i enjoyed this from start to finish.Summertime track all over.
I'm waiting to give a listen to the mastered version:)

Tr4nce

Wow guys! Thanks for your replies! Appreciate it very much!!!

I've been producing since I was 16, got a contract deal once, but it was cancelled because of certain stuff. That was a big bummer for me. Produced the once underground recognized 'Nebula' once with Galen Behr, so getting signed has always been my dream. Thanks again!!! :D :D :D :D

goodfella

Wow guys! Thanks for your replies! Appreciate it very much!!!

I've been producing since I was 16, got a contract deal once, but it was cancelled because of certain stuff. That was a big bummer for me. Produced the once underground recognized 'Nebula' once with Galen Behr, so getting signed has always been my dream. Thanks again!!! :D :D :D :D

Good luck!

Fusebox

Banned
Wow, fusebox, I really like that one! Sounds awesome! One suggestion: I'd love to hear some rising filter action on the pad at 1:20. Don't know if you have enough hands for that :]

Great work. Would buy on Beatport :]

Hey thanks man! The pad is from DX7 so it's a bitch to set a moving filter internally but I can run it into the Audio In on one of my other synths and do it that way. DX7 into the Moog Minitaur should sound sweet.

And awesome track Tr4nce! Very cool stuff. What did you use to make it?

Tr4nce

Again thanks for all the nice replies! Wow. I guess I've finally reached a level where my music sounds somewhat professional, and with a reasonable quality as well as one coherent piece, not as different samples and MIDI parts working together.

This guy who's music I very like, Roald Velden, has told me he will support it in his radio show (Minded Music) when I fix the kick, and improve the percussion somewhat. But I don't know what's wrong with the kick as it is right now. Too little low end? Tell me please! :)

@ Fusebox: I work with Logic Studio, a Midi keyboard, and various VST's like Sylenth, and Massive.

VariantX04

Blutonium

I definitely gotta get me some monitor speakers first. So far I've been doing all my producing on Logitech speakers (yes... I know.) My PC is beefy and I have an AKAI MPK49 on my desk here, but getting that sound right is pretty hard without good speakers.

I still have to do some research into monitor speakers though. My budget is about €500, if anyone has some tips. The KRK RP 8 G2 seem like a good buy?

Fusebox

Banned
KRKs are supposed to be good but I couldn't find anywhere to demo them. I ended up buying the Yamaha HS-80Ms and so far they're terrific, especially for EDM. Great frequency response, not fatiguing and very revealing.

Fuck yeah, Arturia Minibrute now shipping!

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/

Soon it will be mine muhahahaha...

New Minibrute audio demo up here:

http://soundcloud.com/sourcedist/arturia-minibrute-play-about

Can't freakin wait, it's been a long time comin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7943bYSdVc

Sonic State basically gave it a glowing review. Practically a must-buy for anyone looking for analog on a budget. I was impressed by the ounds he was able to make in that review. It definitely has some character.

Fusebox

Banned
Awesome vid, thanks for posting, can't wait to get my hands on one.

In other news I put my EP up on Spotify if anyone wants a listen.

Kind of a blend of mediocre prog house and pedestrian 90's downtempo trance. :p

http://open.spotify.com/album/2VzXr2D7K28AxQpo9iT6cs

Made using all outboards synths like the Tetra, Minitaur, Monotribe, Shruthi, Blofeld etc so there's some juicy analog sounds in there at least.

I'm going to celebrate by start a Eurocrack habit. Trying to decide between either the Double Andore or a Math plus UVCA for VCA mixing.

7490795708_4c5994258a_b.jpg

or

7491116026_113cb6e415_b.jpg

Tr4nce

This is great:

I contacted this producer 'Roald Velden'. Now he's going to support my track 'Asgard' in his radio show 'Minded Music'. He also tells me that this track can be signed easily.

Wow. What a great compliment. Have already contacted some labels, but maybe have to contact some more now. Hope the dream comes true! :)

Tr4nce

Yeah I did, percussion as well. My percussion Bus was clipping too much (well, in Pre-Fader mode that is) so I adjusted the compression on it, and adjusted the kick as well, so it stopped clipping. Some slight volume adjustments as well. I think the track sounds a bit more coherent right now.

Now on to some labels!!! :D :D :D

Cidfox

Neo Member
This is absolutely nuts. The transition in the middle is a little abrupt and could've been done better but other than that, this is crazy stuff. Well done!

yeah the transition was the only thing that kept bugging me. Thanks though! Glad you enjoyed the rest of it. We're doing the Zedd remix now and then it's back to finishing our ep. Have you posted up any new tracks lately?

Blutonium

Yeah I did, percussion as well. My percussion Bus was clipping too much (well, in Pre-Fader mode that is) so I adjusted the compression on it, and adjusted the kick as well, so it stopped clipping. Some slight volume adjustments as well. I think the track sounds a bit more coherent right now.

Now on to some labels!!! :D :D :D

Would love to hear it, but your Youtube video is private...

Fusebox

Banned
Ableton 8.4 beta is out with 64 bit VST support, but no 32 bit bridge so I'm torn. To get the extra RAM bonus 64 bit offers I'd have to stuff around with jbridge to get some of my fave plugs like Liquidmix and PSP Nitro going.

Decisions, decisions...

VariantX04

yeah the transition was the only thing that kept bugging me. Thanks though! Glad you enjoyed the rest of it. We're doing the Zedd remix now and then it's back to finishing our ep. Have you posted up any new tracks lately?

Nothing as of late. I've been too busy practicing with my band for a couple shows in Czech Republic and then it's back to finishing up the 4th album. I won't be releasing it until late August at the very earliest since I still live in Saudi Arabia and if I release and promote an album during the holy month of Ramadan (July 20-August 20), I'd be asking for trouble. And with how strong the tension is between Saudi and Syria at the moment and with cops cracking down on just about everything, it's not really the smartest move.

Top Bottom