• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

neos

HOLY SHIT GAF!!!! :D :D :D

f7d2e901190a3679584092ea6cf800b3b2f29a85.png
Very well done sir!!!

Fusebox

Banned
Nice one Tr4nce! Give us all the juicy details man, how many vinyl pressings? Do you get cash up front or just a percentage of sales?

Fusebox

Banned
Oooh yeah baby!

Your order has shipped! Please see the order summary below for tracking information.
Sincerely,

Musician's Friend Customer Service

Order Summary
Qty Description Tracking Ship Method
1.00 Arturia MiniBrute Monophonic Analog Synthesizer Regular: H79950 03 1ZA2552X6734865725 INTERNATIONAL
Shipping Information

Tr4nce

Thanks for the replies GAF!

I couldn't believe it. I checked my mail on my cell phone, and I thought it was another mail saying 'Thanks for the demo, but we are not interested' or something like that.

They haven't mailed me back yet, so I don't know what's going to happen from here. I will keep you posted ofcourse! Damn, exciting times!!! Have been waiting for this all my life! :D

Also, it's a very young and new label, not even 2 years old. But I think I have to start somewhere. And if the track is really that good, people will pick it up no matter what.

hoverX

So I'm editing an audio track in Logic Pro for a video my fiancee wants to create. I've got a section of audio where two samples overlap. At this point it gets really loud. How do I go about getting the overall volume for this segment to match the volume of the whole track?

I looked up how to normalize the audio and the technique I found only applies to individual segments not the overall volume.

Do I need to "merge" the samples into one track then Normalize?

Thanks. (sorry if my terminology is off, I'm really new to using Logic)

Fusebox

Banned
Easiest way would be to automate the volume faders for those tracks so they both dip at the overlap. One of the Logic users here can walk you through it.

You could use a compressor too but I think for your purposes automation is much simpler and won't cause any change to the rest of your mix.

Tr4nce

Yeah, compression could do the job, but if you're not familiar with compression, it's likely that you would be doing more wrong than right to the audio. Can you make a screenshot so I know what your project looks like? I can help you out better I think. But Fusebox is also right, volume automation should do the job. Just look at how high it peaks (-5 Db for example) and make sure the other part that is too loud peaks at this same amount as well. Good luck!

Blutonium

Congrats Tr4nce, really digged your track :)

Gb4zJ.jpg

I treated myself to some monitor speakers (KRK RP 5 G2)! I need to get some stands to get them at ear level though, but so far everything sounds amazing.

Blutonium

Subwoofer is definitely something I want soon, but I can't afford it right now. It's actually crucial I get it because I mainly make hard dance music, but even without it these speakers sound amazing and do a decent bass.

Fusebox

Banned
I got my Arturia Minibrute a few days ago and I freaking love it. It's such a fat nasty creamy screamy little beast. I'll try and get some audio demos up asap.

Took a quick snap when I first got it:

7586861478_9cc977ca53_c.jpg

This is like a golden-era revival period for analog hardware imo. Fat analog synths like the Minibrute, Minitaur and Mopho for under $500 is insane imo. That's how much Massive used to cost a few years ago.

There's so much buzz surrounding the minibrute. Arturia hit one out of the park. I haven't seen this much excitement surrounding a hardware synthetic in ages.

Tr4nce

Hi Blutonium, thanks for the comment.

However, your Akai MIDI keyboard, i didn't even know that existed? I have the smaller version, the LPK25. So how's yours?

Blutonium

Hi Blutonium, thanks for the comment.

However, your Akai MIDI keyboard, i didn't even know that existed? I have the smaller version, the LPK25. So how's yours?

The drumpad is total shit actually, you have to abuse it to get it to register your input. Apart from that I'm really happy with it, it makes a lot of things easier. When's your track going to be released btw?

In other news: I bought a small extension for my desk, allowing my screens and speakers to be at eye- and ear level - where they should be.

hbYKv.png

Tr4nce

Yeah, setup looks better now Blutonium.

My track: ehm, I had contact with them yesterday. Had to deliver them a remix package. So they're going to 'find' some remixers (2 or 3 they told me), then when the remixes are ready and approved, they send a contract and all the other info. Don't know what the standard/common remix deadline is these days, with labels. 6/8 weeks? So it's gonna take a little while :)

Nyx

Thanks for the replies GAF!

I couldn't believe it. I checked my mail on my cell phone, and I thought it was another mail saying 'Thanks for the demo, but we are not interested' or something like that.

They haven't mailed me back yet, so I don't know what's going to happen from here. I will keep you posted ofcourse! Damn, exciting times!!! Have been waiting for this all my life! :D

Also, it's a very young and new label, not even 2 years old. But I think I have to start somewhere. And if the track is really that good, people will pick it up no matter what.

Awesome news man, only just noticed it.

Should really invest more time in producing myself, but since I've been living together it's hard to find the time for all of my hobbies.

Fusebox

Banned
I was watching Jon Stewart last night and he was interviewing some NFL player who was talking about the way he plays, he had a really cool sounding voice and the way he said 'inside, outside' was just so damn cool I had to sample it, so I grabbed it, looped it, ran it through the Moog Minitaur filter, added a little techy pluk sound from the Minibrute, bassline from the Minitaur, white noise riser from the Minibrute and a couple of beeps and boops from the Shruthi-1 and Monotribe and it's all coming together really well imo:

http://soundcloud.com/kaarma/inside-outside

Its funny where inspiration can come from at times.

"Finished" my first track in a long while for the Tekken Tag 2 remix contest. Yuck. I was still completely blank on ideas until about 4 hours before the deadline and the end result was a super poor (compositionally, at least) thing that's not even en vogue stylistically. BUT, I'm glad I was able to at last get it all wrapped up and done. Was also the first song I've done in Renoise and I'm scratching my head as to why I stopped using trackers to begin with. Should've bought it a long time ago.

The worst part is that in hindsight I realize a lot better directions and genres that I could've done, but I had been up for so long trying to finish it that I think I was tapped out mentally.

Tr4nce

Yeah, getting stuck is sooooooo annoying. You start out with a fresh mind, then after a couple of sessions, when things start to annoy you, you even start doubting about the melodies, the basslines, the samples used. I have freaked myself out about this so many times. To me this is the most annoying thing about making music; by the time you've finished you're own track, you're so sick of it, you'd almost never want to hear it again.

neos

To me this is the most annoying thing about making music; by the time you've finished you're own track, you're so sick of it, you'd almost never want to hear it again.

How not to quote you?
I've been working on this ff remix for..well almost an year, but the more i spend time on it, the more i found it to be incomplete.I just want to have the chance to say "yeah, that's it", and delete all files of it from my pc and finally move on.
http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-07-11-2012

If you have some advice, please speech freely;)

So I'm in Chicago visiting family and I decide to see what synths the local Guitar Center had, lo and behold, it shows they have a fucking MiniBrute in stock (struck out on pretty much every other synth I looked for). I was planning on waiting 'til August to pick one up as they become more readily available (and my funds improve) but man there's one here RIGHT NOW. The idea of hauling that thing back on my return flight does give me pause though. I don't do baggage.

What do I do GAF? Fight the GAS for a few more days or cave in and run to buy that MB?

Fusebox

Banned
So I'm in Chicago visiting family and I decide to see what synths the local Guitar Center had, lo and behold, it shows they have a fucking MiniBrute in stock (struck out on pretty much every other synth I looked for). I was planning on waiting 'til August to pick one up as they become more readily available (and my funds improve) but man there's one here RIGHT NOW. The idea of hauling that thing back on my return flight does give me pause though. I don't do baggage.

What do I do GAF? Fight the GAS for a few more days or cave in and run to buy that MB?

They're pretty rare at the moment man, and the box does have a handle for carrying it... so I'd say buy it! Its an amazing synth capable of some seriously bad-ass modern and vintage tones that sits really well in the mix. Easily one of my fave synths.

Blutonium

Hey guys, I was messing around in de Google Play Store and found This incredible Android DAW, named Caustic 2
. I only messed with it for a few minutes, but it looks really powerful. It has multiple racks, a sequencer, mixer, piano roll, oscillators etc. It's free but the full version allows exporting to wave and midi.

Anyone familiar with it?

Check out "CAUSTIC 2" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.caustic
*Edit: here's another program by the same dev; Loopstack https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singlecellsoftware.loopstack

I'm on mobile now, so searching was a hassle.

Tr4nce

How not to quote you?
I've been working on this ff remix for..well almost an year, but the more i spend time on it, the more i found it to be incomplete.I just want to have the chance to say "yeah, that's it", and delete all files of it from my pc and finally move on.
http://soundcloud.com/blindzoom/holding-wip-07-11-2012

If you have some advice, please speech freely;)

Hey! :)

Just listened to your track. Although it's not my genre, so everything I say should NOT be taken for granted ofcourse, but I dunno. Some melodies sound too 'happy' if you know what I mean. The bass sounds fine by the way, and your stereo image sounds good as well. But you could add more space I think, in your mix, using more reverb or delays, or use them in other way. Pff. What do I know :)

Fusebox

Banned
Oh shiiit, new DSI synth, it's the Mopho 4X! I need one...

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/mophox4/index.php

x4_top.jpg

I've been producing for a while, but I have no idea what/how electronic music artists play live and I've always been interested. Does anyone know where I can watch videos or something on how most people do it? Like what exactly are dudes like Justice doing?

like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpZScE07x8o

It varies from artist to artist but a general way to do it is to break your track down into loops/clips at whatever complexity you want. ie Do you just want a loop of your kick drum, or do you want to add the snare into the same loop, do you want all synth parts in your breakdown to be in same loop or each one split out, then you hit PLAY and you can either fire the loops off to recreate the whole song as it sounds on the album or you can start having some fun with it. Tease the main synth lead a bit before dropping it, move the intro pad to the back of the track, drop the beat without the hi-hats etc. You can either play back the song as the crowd knows it or remix the shit out of it on the fly.

Fusebox

Banned
I was scratching my head about that too - I think the reason they didn't use the Tetra name is because it isn't multi-timbral like the Tetra, and it doesn't have individual audio outputs for each voice like the Tetra.

If I got the 4X though I'd still keep my Tetra and polychain them for an 8 voice beast.

I was scratching my head about that too - I think the reason they didn't use the Tetra name is because it isn't multi-timbral like the Tetra, and it doesn't have individual audio outputs for each voice like the Tetra.

If I got the 4X though I'd still keep my Tetra and polychain them for an 8 voice beast.

Hell yeah. MophoX4+Tetra>>>Prophet 08 at about the same price.

Anyone know if the Maschine Mikro has any software licences that would get tied to its original owner that have to be transferred on a resell? Got a guy selling one for $150 on CL and at that price I'm ready to bite, but not if its w/o the software since that would just make it an expensive paperweight...

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, the Maschine plug-in requires registering through the Native Instruments service centre, although NI are fairly good about transferring licenses so long as he didn't buy it on student discount or as part of an upgrade.

Fusebox

Banned
The Minibrute is seriously bad-ass! I'm loving it. It has a real sound of its own, totally unlike Moog and DSI it does its own thing and it does it really well, I would have been just as happy paying close to a grand for it, let alone the $430 or so it cost me.

It's the only synth I have without patch memory (apart from the Monotribe) and whereas in the past most of my completed tunes are just MIDI tracks with program and bank changes to recall my patches and loads of automation, I find myself bouncing down the Minibrute down to audio tracks early on and doing a lot of live tweaking as I record. It's a way vibier synth to jam on than any of the others I've got.

I'm still looking forward to putting my modular together though, the case is pretty much finished and I should be getting it next week - I've ordered The Harvestman Double Andore, Manhattan Analog Mix and Manhattan Analog CVP to go with the odules I posted earlier so the final synth will look like this:

7674067642_e8cc8f9286_b.jpg

Tbh though it's gonna make me feel like such a noob again trying to to get my head around it all but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Fusebox

Banned
GAF recommend me a soundcard, the lack of audio output on my 1220i is giving me the shits.

I want somewhere between 6-10 analog inputs and at least 4 analog outputs. Spdif out would be nice too.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 looks good at this stage.

edit - Nevermind I'm going for a MOTU 828 mkII as it has DC coupled outputs and I can send CV direct to my modular setup with it.

Hello fellows!
So last October I started a project, Electronic Mobile Jam Session. The idea ist to get people together outside and start jamming on musical gadgets and to record that on tape with a ghettoblaster.
It was great fun but I really hope that next time there will be some other people who have actually touched any of these instruments before. ;] So it's mostly me on the monotribe driving the tone and the others doing their best to follow. Anyways, after some time, we got some nice rythms going. And I made this video to get to know After Effects CS6 better.

Next Session will be in a few weeks! I already ordered Nanoloops for the Gameboy.

klick for video

That sounds like fun! Can you do it in Sydney next time so I can come along thx!
Suure. Funny, my gf is in Sydney in 2 weeks but she won't be of any help when it comes to electronics. :] Sadly her vacation is/was too long and expensive for me atm. Would be really nice if I had met you!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
So I just released my new album "A Method of Symmetry". What's different this time around? Played around with lots of Sylenth and Massive sounds and I tried to make every song stand out on its own rather than a seamless vibe I tried to focus on in my previous albums.

I think some of you will like what I did with tracks 3 and 4. Most listeners won't understand it without me having to spell it out but I'm sure most of you guys could pick up on what I managed to pull off.

If it's no trouble, please stop by the official thread and leave your impressions. Thanks guys!

Fusebox

Banned
I just bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface to replace my Mackie 1220i.

I love everything about my Mackie except for the lack of output options, it only has a stereo analog output for the main monitors.

The Focusrite has a load of analog outs, but more importantly it has a Lightpipe output so I can hook up the Expert Sleepers ES-3 module so I can use their Silent Way plugin to control my modular setup from Ableton:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es3.html

Can't wait to get home and hook up the Focusrite!

Top Bottom