• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Yet another new single: "Sands of Time"

Inspired by my stay in Turkey. Never really tried incorporating my middle eastern background into my work but now I will. Would appreciate thoughts and critique.

Sands of Time

VariantX04

I posted a YouTube walkthrough of one of my singles "A New Beginning". Figured some of you guys might be interested to see how I actually write my music (if you could make it past my self-deprecating tryhard attempts at being funny):

Logic Pro Walkthrough - Agent Whiskers "A New Beginning"

As some of you probably know, I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to production. I come from more of a songwriting background than a production one and I'm still learning, especially from some of you guys. As you'll be able to tell, my style is pretty sloppy but I feel it gets the job done haha.

Tr4nce

Hey man, I listened to a few of your tracks. Although it's not my style, I think you're on the right way!

Also, I watched your walkthrough. And it seems that you use almost no EQ'ing. Am I right? Use it man! :) It will clean up your tracks alot!

Cheers.

Galang

Banned

Personally I really like this track!

Also I'm not sure where else to post this. But a few weeks ago I dropped out of school because I realize I just didn't enjoy what I was doing anymore. I don't plan to put all my eggs in one basket, but I was thinking of trying to do something music related. I'm not sure what kind of jobs or what exactly to put my focus on. I can't play any instruments, but I plan to pick up Piano again starting in the next few weeks. I've been investing myself into Ableton, but only about 20 hours a week on average. Been learning since August. At the least I really enjoy it, but part of me is holding back a lot. Any advice on what to look into? I literally know nobody that pursues music in real life for any advice and everyone just tells me to not bother. I want to try though. I feel enrolling in school would be great, but I can't find any production courses that aren't an outrageous price and I have to work on paying back my loan now. I was reading that many are self taught and rather have saved the money for gear, but I feel I'd benefit from learning with others and making friends into production as well. Any help on the issue would be appreciated. :)

Tr4nce

Hey man, what exactly do you need help with? With your next choice in life? Or with producing? I'm sot sure I understand what you're asking for :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It will take a long time to buy the rest of what is needed, but some day I will be producing music in my home. I'll read through this thread and keep up with it.

neos

Guys, i'd be interested on a good lecture on how to clean a vocal sample.A beginner one shall do good since i know next to nothing.Anyone?

VariantX04

Hey man, I listened to a few of your tracks. Although it's not my style, I think you're on the right way!

Also, I watched your walkthrough. And it seems that you use almost no EQ'ing. Am I right? Use it man! :) It will clean up your tracks alot!

Cheers.
Thanks man. If you only heard the stuff on my Soundcloud, it's a far cry from my work on my albums which is decidedly more atmospheric; something I believe I'm better at than the singles i've produced so far. However I'm always the first to admit i'm not that savvy when it comes to the production side and I'm slowly starting to pick things up. I almost always feel overwhelmed whenever you, Teknopathetic, and Fusebox discuss stuff in this thread haha. I can't keep up with that stuff. So if you could elaborate on what needs EQing that would help me out a lot. Should I EQ individual tracks or the entire output channel? I fear I simply don't have the ear for it so I'm not sure what sounds EQ'd enough or not.

Personally I really like this track!
Thank you sir!

Also I'm not sure where else to post this. But a few weeks ago I dropped out of school because I realize I just didn't enjoy what I was doing anymore. I don't plan to put all my eggs in one basket, but I was thinking of trying to do something music related. I'm not sure what kind of jobs or what exactly to put my focus on. I can't play any instruments, but I plan to pick up Piano again starting in the next few weeks. I've been investing myself into Ableton, but only about 20 hours a week on average. Been learning since August. At the least I really enjoy it, but part of me is holding back a lot. Any advice on what to look into? I literally know nobody that pursues music in real life for any advice and everyone just tells me to not bother. I want to try though. I feel enrolling in school would be great, but I can't find any production courses that aren't an outrageous price and I have to work on paying back my loan now. I was reading that many are self taught and rather have saved the money for gear, but I feel I'd benefit from learning with others and making friends into production as well. Any help on the issue would be appreciated. :)
I know what you're going through. I recently left my job to pursue a career in music and it's pretty scary. If it's really what you enjoy doing, don't let anyone tell you not to bother with it. Keep learning until you can define yourself and pinpoint just what it is you're good at. You don't need to be a musician or a producer to make a living in the music industry. Good luck and if there's anything we can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Galang

Banned
I know what you're going through. I recently left my job to pursue a career in music and it's pretty scary. If it's really what you enjoy doing, don't let anyone tell you not to bother with it. Keep learning until you can define yourself and pinpoint just what it is you're good at. You don't need to be a musician or a producer to make a living in the music industry. Good luck and if there's anything we can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

That's very reassuring to hear! Thanks for the advice :) I'll just keep working on it then andsee what exactly I like, it's too early I suppose for me to know what I really plan to do.

Hey man, what exactly do you need help with? With your next choice in life? Or with producing? I'm sot sure I understand what you're asking for :)

Sorry haha, thanks for the reply! I'm just not sure where to get started with getting into the industry I guess. If i really need to go to school or not or just keep learning at home. Do most people in here do this as a career? :S

Tr4nce

I almost always feel overwhelmed whenever you, Teknopathetic, and Fusebox discuss stuff in this thread haha. I can't keep up with that stuff. So if you could elaborate on what needs EQing that would help me out a lot. Should I EQ individual tracks or the entire output channel? I fear I simply don't have the ear for it so I'm not sure what sounds EQ'd enough or not.

Yo, Whiskers. EQ'ing is really vital, it's a great tool. But like compressing, it can be dangerous if used the wrong way. Trust your ears. After a time, you will surely start to hear the difference, and hear where the 'sweet spots' are, or which frequencies need to be cut.

I think the main thing when it comes to using EQ is this: less is more!! So that means, always try to cut stuff away first, before boosting anything.

Some examples:

- Hi-hats have the most use in the higher frequencies. So I always low-cut them until about 1000/1200 Hz. (1 kHz/1.2 kHz)

- I always hi-cut my sub basses at about 150 Hz, because sub bass is meant to give a track power in the low frequencies. No need for a sub bass to sit in the higher frequencies, because the synths and percussions like hi-hats will do that part of the track.

- Now for the boosting: use it sparingly and wisely. Boosting pads for example, can sound really amazing it, but don't overdo it. It will start to sound unnatural.

So basically every channel in your track, try to give it it's own space. Also important: EQ'ing a shitty sound will NOT make it amazing. Shitty sounds are shit ;)

Also learn to pan certain stuff. This improves the stereo image on your music, and it sound way better this way. Pan a closed hi-hat a little to the left, or to the right maybe. Or pan that little amazing riff a bit to the left or right as well, also giving more room for your other synths. Stuff like that man. You should try to find some masterclass tutorials on the net by Computer Music Magazine. John '00' Fleming did a real great one once. I think you can easily find it. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQCWPTTzpTY (could not be your style of music at all, but that doesn't matter. The ideas are the same you know)

But remember always: these are just guidelines! This is not the holy bible to EQ'ing or something. Lastly, have a look here if you are interested. Some simple guide lines, but again: not holy or something. Whiskers, your ears are your best tools man! :)

LINK: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=18237

Sorry haha, thanks for the reply! I'm just not sure where to get started with getting into the industry I guess. If i really need to go to school or not or just keep learning at home. Do most people in here do this as a career? :S

I think it's very hard to get started in the industry right away. And education is very important. I have alway done both. And almost learned everything myself. And the journey still continues.

@ neos: what do you mean cleaning? Did you rip them from a track, or are they a capella already? Shouldn't be too hard to clean them I guess? Scan the frequency spectrum with area's that have rogue frequencies and eliminate them?

And now for some shameless self promotion: my latest track has been signed as well! Awesome. If everything goes well, it should be played by Roald Velden today in his internet radio show 'Minded Music Sessions'. Which can be listened to on his Soundcloud tomorrow, or today at Pure.FM.

injurai

Banned
Hey gaf, I'm really interested in trying my hand at making electronic music of sorts. Not expecting to really make it big, but I'd like to have it as a hobby.

What DAW would you suggest using? I really am having a hard time discerning between them. Also do I need other editing programs to engineer the sounds that I lay into a DAW? On Windows btw.

neos

@ neos: what do you mean cleaning? Did you rip them from a track, or are they a capella already? Shouldn't be too hard to clean them I guess? Scan the frequency spectrum with area's that have rogue frequencies and eliminate them?

And now for some shameless self promotion: my latest track has been signed as well! Awesome. If everything goes well, it should be played by Roald Velden today in his internet radio show 'Minded Music Sessions'. Which can be listened to on his Soundcloud tomorrow, or today at Pure.FM.

Again, congrats on your work tr4nce:)

As for the vocal sample, mainly i was talking about eliminating unwanted frequencies\disturb from bad recording (crappy mic), but i'll also interested in how to extract the vocals from a track.

Tr4nce

Thanks buddy.

Hmm let's see. Extracting vocals is almost impossible, because you can't remove or cut the music without damaging the vocals as well. So that's a bitch.

Secondly, I think unwanted sounds from your mic can be removed but not everything and also not without damaging the vocals. Use an EQ, make a peak with a small bandwidth and about +24 decibels. Sweep for any unwanted noises and cut them. Hope you can clear it.

Galang

Banned
I think it's very hard to get started in the industry right away. And education is very important. I have alway done both. And almost learned everything myself. And the journey still continues.

Thanks! I plan to do both, it's just hard finding anything for a reasonable price around here. Also congrats :)

Who's good with sampling on Ableton? I'm at a loss on how to properly do it. And there are so many ways of doing it, referring to YT tutorials are making more frustrating than it probably is.

"Hey gaf, I'm really interested in trying my hand at making electronic music of sorts. Not expecting to really make it big, but I'd like to have it as a hobby.

What DAW would you suggest using? I really am having a hard time discerning between them. Also do I need other editing programs to engineer the sounds that I lay into a DAW? On Windows btw."

Any of the predominant DAWs are usable. Protools, Ableton, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, and so forth. They all have the features you need to compose Electronic Music, so just try out all the demos and pick the one you like best. My personal choice is Renoise (until Ableton Push comes out), which has a non-traditional interface (it's styled after Atari/Commodore music software), but once you get accustomed to it, is extremely quick and inspiring to work with.

You don't need any other editing programs, most DAWs have built in audio editing features. Furthermore, for electronic music, you will most likely want to be using synthesizers which are plug-ins. You can find a whole list of them (and download links for ones that are free) at KVRaudio

Fusebox

Banned
Who's good with sampling on Ableton? I'm at a loss on how to properly do it. And there are so many ways of doing it, referring to YT tutorials are making more frustrating than it probably is.

Sampling what? Cutting up an mp3, sampling a line instrument like a synth or a guitar via mic?

Kymbo

Hi guys,

I'm just about to start looking/listening through this thread, but first I wanted to contribute...A very good friend of mine has been producing EDM for a long time, now I personally don't think he's getting the exposure he deserves so hopefully he'll get some love here.

http://soundcloud.com/audio-wok

Many Thanks in advance

In Kelly Rowland's song 'Motivation', could someone please help me find where I can get that synth stabbing sound? I'm not really sure where to look and I use ableton and have a vst called operator to create a synth sound like it...but i'm not sure how I could (im not very good with synthesis making).

Here's a link to the instrumental of the song, it comes in through the beginning and throughout the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryZP4Q0g30

Your help is appreciated! Thank you.

PM me the answer as well if possible, i'm going to work and I might forget to bookmark this thread and thus forget I posted in here. lol

Tr4nce

In Kelly Rowland's song 'Motivation', could someone please help me find where I can get that synth stabbing sound? I'm not really sure where to look and I use ableton and have a vst called operator to create a synth sound like it...but i'm not sure how I could (im not very good with synthesis making).

Here's a link to the instrumental of the song, it comes in through the beginning and throughout the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ryZP4Q0g30

Your help is appreciated! Thank you.

PM me the answer as well if possible, i'm going to work and I might forget to bookmark this thread and thus forget I posted in here. lol

I don't know if it's the sound that you mean, but those can be created with a violin like patch, and simply strike a chord. Or any string preset for that matter.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
IglooMusicStudio2.jpg

I've been making music with Reason (mostly electronic dance music) for more than 10 years now but I really want to switch to Logic anytime soon, and although I'm close to getting that pro sound, I still seem to have trouble mixing down my music. You know, EQ'ing, compressing, FX like delay, chorus, reverbs, panning instruments etc. etc. So I thought maybe we could share all of our knowledge in one big thread, just to help each other out. Ofcourse, it doesn't matter what kind of music you make, as long as you can contribute to this thread by sharing tips and tricks or asking good questions it's ok. So here we go, hope this thread isn't gonna die.

So the goal is:

- Share tips and tricks/knowledge

- Everything from EQ'ing to sequencing to synthesis, so every aspect of the production side of music

- General chat about music production from Rock music to EDM to Urban style music

- Ask questions about music production

Remember: the most important thing is to have fun while making music!

Sharing Audio Examples

Want to share something you created? Or want to know how to reproduce a certain sound? Share here using Speedyshare or SoundCloud. It's free and once you click the link it lets you listen to the sound sample instantly.

- SpeedyShare

- Sound Cloud

List of DAW's (Digital Audio Workstation):

Apple Logic Pro (Mac Only!)

234271.jpg

4rbzuq.jpg

Website Apple Logic Pro Studio

Steinberg Cubase

rmr63b.jpg

steinberg_cubase4_ss01.jpg

Website Steinberg Cubase Studio 5

Ableton's Live

226260.jpg

ableton_live-preview.jpg

Website Ableton Live 8

Propellerhead's Reason

119854.jpg

2r3b49j.png

Website Propellerheads Reason 4

Fruityloops

208892.jpg

fruityloops1.gif

Website FruityLoops

Reaper

v47xo7.jpg

Website Reaper

Music Production Based Magazines:

Computer Music

cmu.jpg

- Comes with a DVD packed full of samples, tutorials and other cool video's on a monthly basis. The best thing about it are the 'producer masterclasses'. Great names have already given us an insight in how they produce their music. Examples are Nathan Fake, John OO Fleming, Mistabishi and many more.

Website Computer Music

Future music

mus.jpg

Website Future Music

List of Free Software and Other Stuff

- TrancEaddict Free Softwares List

Tutorial List:

- TrancEaddict Tutorial Master List

Producer Masterclasses (All taken from the Computer Music magazine):

- John 'OO' Fleming (Trance + Highly Recommended) (Logic Pro)

- Mistabishi (Drum N Bass) (Cubase Studio)

- Nathan Fake (Progressive House) (Cubase Studio)

- Riley & Durrant (Trance) (Reason & Logic Pro)

- The Young Punx (House) (Logic Pro)

Other Producer Tutorials:

- Airbase (Trance) (Ableton Live 8)

- 7Skies (Trance) (Logic Pro)

- Ian Carey (House) (Logic Pro)

Sample packs & Stuff

- Vengeance

- Loop Masters

Online Webshops for hardware/software

- Thomann

List of music production based forums:

- Audiopioneers

- TranceAddict Production Forum

- Serious Sounds

NeoGaf User Tutorials

- Tr4nce:

- Multiple Basslines (Reason)

- Sidechaining (Reason)

- Swooshing Sound FX/ Wind FX (Reason)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=345354&highlight=mustard+pimp

BeeDog

I vaguely remember that there was a noticeable discount on FL Studio last year during the end of the year. My questions to you producers is:

1) Do you think it's worth grabbing FL Studio as a good entry software, or is there something that's more robust for roughly the same price? Ableton?
2) Does anyone recall the discount specifics for FL Studio, e.g. how much the discount was and when exactly it was?

Wanna plan my purchases for the remainder of the year, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tr4nce

Hey Beedog,

I don't know anything about the discount. But about your first question:

I would really recommend you try some demo's (if available) for the existing DAW's. Check out which workflow that they all offer suits you the most. See if you like working with it. Check out some YouTube video's maybe. FruityLoops shouldn't be too hard to get into, but maybe you won't like it at all. I work with Logic Studio myself for example, and I absolutely love it. I really couldn't go back to Reason or Cubase, which I have used both also.

Sorry to not be much of a help.

BeeDog

Hey Beedog,

I don't know anything about the discount. But about your first question:

I would really recommend you try some demo's (if available) for the existing DAW's. Check out which workflow that they all offer suits you the most. See if you like working with it. Check out some YouTube video's maybe. FruityLoops shouldn't be too hard to get into, but maybe you won't like it at all. I work with Logic Studio myself for example, and I absolutely love it. I really couldn't go back to Reason or Cubase, which I have used both also.

Sorry to not be much of a help.

Thanks for the reply. I can add that I actually have Reaper, but I've found it very hard to get into it. Logic has been interesting, but I'm out of luck there since I don't have a Mac. The main problem in my case is that it's:

1) Hard to know what is available out there, mainly for a PC user like me
2) The value proposition for each software. In other words, what do I actually get for my money?
3) Exactly how the various DAWs differ from each other

Since FL Studio seems somewhat reasonable in price, I'll probably start looking into it in a more indepth fashion. Unless I can get some more second opinions :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I used to be into this years back. Only bit of hardware that I had and still have is my Korg MicroKontrol. Anyways, I pulled it down, installed some of my stuff and had a great time. I've been an Ableton/Reason user. I visited kvraudio for the first time in ages a few days ago, anything else for a newbie/oldie such as myself to know? I'm still familiar with the lingo, I've just been out of the loop for a while. Any new awesome vsts? Thanks in advance.

VariantX04

I've been learning more and more about complextro arrangements and I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now. Wrote this new single in 2 days and while I still feel I've got a lot more to learn, i'm happy. I just wish I could find some exposure for a change. Ah well, I'll keep at it until I'm there. Would appreciate thoughts/criticism.

Digital Salvation

Tr4nce

Finally a release date for my tracks GAF! :)

'Asgard' will be released on Incepto Music, January 14th and 'Riva del Garda' will be released a day later on Round Triangle, January 15th.

I'm still looking forward to putting my modular together though, the case is pretty much finished and I should be getting it next week - I've ordered The Harvestman Double Andore, Manhattan Analog Mix and Manhattan Analog CVP to go with the odules I posted earlier so the final synth will look like this:

7674067642_e8cc8f9286_b.jpg

Tbh though it's gonna make me feel like such a noob again trying to to get my head around it all but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Hey, did you ever get this put together? I'm still working on mine. Kilpatrick is working on a new case that I might end up using if my Miniflight Jr doesn't show up in time. I was going to go with Monorocket until the guy went 9 months without delivery and total radio silence when asked.

Here's what I've got so far, pending the arrival of a few parts (module makers are so slow):

uuH7Y.jpg

Nothing super exotic yet, save for the Phonogene. Will definitely add the new Maths once it comes out.

Yet another new single: "Sands of Time"

Inspired by my stay in Turkey. Never really tried incorporating my middle eastern background into my work but now I will. Would appreciate thoughts and critique.

Sands of Time

You're definitely on the right track with your arrangements and I think the Bitcrusher usage (if that's what it is) is definitely effective. My only complaint is how obviously vanilla the EWQLSO Gold Solo Violin is; I know it's difficult to get unique-sounding realistic strings just because of how many different variables there are with organic instruments compared to software instruments, but I would recommend playing around with synths and even additional strings within Symphonic Orchestra to get something a bit more diverse. Even if you stick to one or two custom string presets you eventually make, it'll come across as more distinct than a default option.

neos

Finally a release date for my tracks GAF! :)

'Asgard' will be released on Incepto Music, January 14th and 'Riva del Garda' will be released a day later on Round Triangle, January 15th.

Great!
I don't know if i forgot your artist name or if you never told us what it is....

Top Bottom