• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Cidfox

Neo Member
While we're on the subject of sharing music, might as well mention that I just had a new single released Monday on Beatport. I have a longer sample posted on my SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/yanixmusic/yanix-derecho-original-breaks

It's exclusive to Beatport for a month or so, then available at all the other usual outlets.

There's also a progressive house mix, made it in the deeper, 'classic' style.

very nice production, def made me rock

Jibbed

Posted this in the 'i'm going to make music..' thread but thought here would also be helpful.

I've been toying with the idea of creating electronic music for a while now, but I don't even know where to begin.

I've got a PC at my disposal and that's about it. Help GAF?

Posted this in the 'i'm going to make music..' thread but thought here would also be helpful.

I've been toying with the idea of creating electronic music for a while now, but I don't even know where to begin.

What's your previous music experience?

Cidfox

Neo Member
I studied music briefly in school but I can't remember much from it. Other than that I'm just a huge fan of the EDM/house scene and want to have a crack at making something myself.

It really depends on how serious you plan on taking this. If you're just looking to fuck around, ableton and youtube videos would def fill that appetite. If you want to really compose than you really should try and learn some theory. After that it's just a full on learning game. You have to not only learn the music side but the production side. It's a lot of work, but if you love doing it you'll always have fun.

Jibbed

It really depends on how serious you plan on taking this. If you're just looking to fuck around, ableton and youtube videos would def fill that appetite. If you want to really compose than you really should try and learn some theory. After that it's just a full on learning game. You have to not only learn the music side but the production side. It's a lot of work, but if you love doing it you'll always have fun.

I'll give Ableton a try, thanks.

Yeah, I guess I'll just see if anything comes from messing about and take it from there.

Cidfox

Neo Member
I'll give Ableton a try, thanks.

Yeah, I guess I'll just see if anything comes from messing about and take it from there.

best of luck man, I hope you get something going. I'm def not the best producer ever but if you ever need help feel free to message me on here or skype if you have it. Mrcidfox

Servbot24

Banned

I would at least get a cheap midi controller with a keyboard. I really enjoy Ableton, but there are many software choices.

Servbot24

Banned
Speaking of keyboards I'm thinking of getting the Novation Launchkey 61 at $250. I used to have the Sl Mkii 61 and loved it, but had to sell it a while back. Of course that one is around $500 which isn't really in my budget anymore. Anyways, would you guys suggest any other keyboards before puling the trigger on the Launchkey?

Kaizer

Banned
Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself to the production thread. I'm a beginner, been using Propellerhead's Reason and a MIDI Keyboard for about a year now, just taking my time to learn the basics of each device and still going over those basics on a weekly basis - dozens of YouTube tutorials have been extremely helpful in this endeavor.

Anyway, a career in music is pretty much my dream. I want to be a Pop/Rap Producer/DJ/Electronic Artist & Rapper within the next 10 years and I'm pretty dedicated, I usually work on my music everyday, although I must admit I've been extremely lazy this summer.

Just for some background on me: I got my first taste of music by singing in the elementary school chorus group. We'd perform at different school functions and sometimes at parades/nursing homes/etc. After that, I joined the Orchestra with my friends in middle school and played all the way up to graduating high school. So I have about 7 years worth of experience with reading sheet music, time signatures, key signatures, but I wouldn't call myself extremely well versed in music theory. My main instrument in Orchestra was the Viola, but I also learned to play the Cello competently and a little bit of Bass.

After high school ended, I took a hiatus from music to just focus on transitioning to college life, but my passion was reiginited when I discovered a music & entertainment business program at my school last year. I joined it and have been interning with different musical establishments and also met several other producers/DJs/rappers/singers/songwriters/aspiring agents & managers who definitely made me want to step my game up. At the end of last semester, we had to create an original song to display for the class.

Here's my first song up on my Soundcloud in case anyone wants to listen. I know it's not much, but it's a start and I'd love any feedback.

So that's pretty much me. I listen to a myriad of musical genres, but lately I've been heavily following Hudson Mohawke, tracking down every song he's ever produced, including his demos and unfinished work. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully you guys will hear more from me in the months and years to come. I'm actually about to fire up Reason right now for a few hours and work on some basic skills.

Fusebox

Banned
Speaking of keyboards I'm thinking of getting the Novation Launchkey 61 at $250. I used to have the Sl Mkii 61 and loved it, but had to sell it a while back. Of course that one is around $500 which isn't really in my budget anymore. Anyways, would you guys suggest any other keyboards before puling the trigger on the Launchkey?

Do you need the faders and pads on the Launchpad or do you just want a nice set of keys? You could get an old DX7 for a similar price and that way you get a badass keybed and a classic FM synth and they're built to withstand a bomb blast.

Fusebox

Banned
Not bad Dari, not my kind of music but some good melodies in there. Gotta watch that dynamic range though, the whole track is pretty slammed, you can even see it in the waveform.

In other news Studio One! I'm a bit sick of looking at Ableton after all these years and I'm really loving the Studio One 2.5 demo, I think I'm slowly gonna switch from Live. Anyone else using SO2?

Anyways here's my latest tune, possibly the last one Ill make in Ableton for a long while.

https://soundcloud.com/genosjunk/trance

Servbot24

Banned
Do you need the faders and pads on the Launchpad or do you just want a nice set of keys? You could get an old DX7 for a similar price and that way you get a badass keybed and a classic FM synth and they're built to withstand a bomb blast.

Seems like those are closer to $400. The keys are definitely the most important thing, along with automatic DAW support. I could always get a separate controller for the faders/pads. But it is definitely nice to have them all in one.

In other news Studio One! I'm a bit sick of looking at Ableton after all these years and I'm really loving the Studio One 2.5 demo, I think I'm slowly gonna switch from Live. Anyone else using SO2?

I was the same. I used Ableton for about 3 years. A couple of things were really starting to bug me about it, namely automation and plugin delay compensation issues. I've been demoing Studio One too and am really liking it so far. It seems to be more stable than Ableton for me, and uses a lot less cpu as well.

A couple of misgivings about Studio One so far:
I miss being able to step sequence notes in with a midi keyboard, but hopefully they include that in a future update. Also, I don't think it's possible to have different time signatures on different tracks. I may be able to work around this, but in Ableton it was extremely easy to do.

And as a heads up, Studio One Producer is on sale now until the end of August if you didn't already know.

Fusebox

Banned
I was the same. I used Ableton for about 3 years. A couple of things were really starting to bug me about it, namely automation and plugin delay compensation issues.

Yep, delay compensation issues here too, as well as timing issues when I'm using multiple external synth and tbh I just don't use sessions view much anymore. It was great when I was first producing to bash out a load of clips and pick my fave but now that my workflow has improved I can create songs straight in arrangement view.

A couple of misgivings about Studio One so far:
I miss being able to step sequence notes in with a midi keyboard, but hopefully they include that in a future update. Also, I don't think it's possible to have different time signatures on different tracks. I may be able to work around this, but in Ableton it was extremely easy to do.

Thanks for the info, neither of those are big parts of my workflow so they shouldn't bother me too much but I'm sure I'll have my own shortlist of gripes after a few weeks of using it,.

I

And as a heads up, Studio One Producer is on sale now until the end of August if you didn't already know.

Yep saw that, thanks man. I was initially interested in using my Ableton receipt to get a discount on Professional but I reckon Producer does everything I need anyway and is a few hundred cheaper because of the sale. The only thing I'd miss is the Pipeline plugin and I should be able to workaround that anyway.

Just remembered, my fave thing so far about SO is the tabbed VST browsing. I primarily use Maschine and a Virus TI in multitimbral mode so being able to quickly pop up those VSTs and flip between them is a game changer for my workflow.

neos

Hey guys, thought I'd introduce myself to the production thread. I'm a beginner, been using Propellerhead's Reason and a MIDI Keyboard for about a year now, just taking my time to learn the basics of each device and still going over those basics on a weekly basis - dozens of YouTube tutorials have been extremely helpful in this endeavor.

Here's my first song up on my Soundcloud in case anyone wants to listen. I know it's not much, but it's a start and I'd love any feedback.

Welcome,it's always nice to see another Reason user:)
As for your track, what about cutting off the beat on some bars?just to give it some variation

Cidfox

Neo Member

I like the ambient feel. you should add delay on the piano, or reverb to let it spread out and not feel so harsh. cool little track. look forward to hearing more

Not bad Dari, not my kind of music but some good melodies in there. Gotta watch that dynamic range though, the whole track is pretty slammed, you can even see it in the waveform.

Anyways here's my latest tune, possibly the last one Ill make in Ableton for a long while.

https://soundcloud.com/genosjunk/trance

I love me some good blade runner type basslines! nice groove

Cidfox

Neo Member
Hey everyone. we're pooping out our ep tracks one by one. Our single is going to have my vox. I haven't recorded a vocal track since I did that Masquerade toon for nickelodeon. hah, I'm scurred to release it. anyways, I'm not sure if any of you like trap but here's the second release off our upcoming ep "On Fire". Track is titles "NoHo Lowdown"

https://soundcloud.com/officialgoldenfox/noho-lowdown

getting some odd problems with a logic 9 piece i'm working on, hopefully one of you enlightened folk can help!
i seem to be getting 'ghost' midi data, in fact it's an old melody that seems to be playing even after it has been deleted.
i'm absolutely certain it's the bismark-0 software sampler that's doing it. any one familiar with this? i've a feeling it is still playing old data despite it being deleted. it makes no sense.

anyway, i've tried reseting logic, and it doesn't happen on any other composition thankfully. i'm just a bit stuck as to what to try next!

Fusebox

Banned
Hey everyone. we're pooping out our ep tracks one by one. Our single is going to have my vox. I haven't recorded a vocal track since I did that Masquerade toon for nickelodeon. hah, I'm scurred to release it. anyways, I'm not sure if any of you like trap but here's the second release off our upcoming ep "On Fire". Track is titles "NoHo Lowdown"

https://soundcloud.com/officialgoldenfox/noho-lowdown

Fantastic man, you guys always bring your A game. Do I hear a Virus in that track?

neos

Hey you guys, got a new track out "Stasis"

What's everyone up to? Tr4nce, Fuse, neos? It's been too long.

eh, i'm here lurking but i'm really not taking the business seriously lately, i'm just making silly things for friends.
However i'm in on thre I'm Going to Make Music and You Can Too thread, i promised a track by december 31st and i really want do this one right.

As for your track, holy shit man, i remember what you were posting like an year ago, and i swear on my mother you have evolved A LOT, and in the good way.
What you do is still not my cupcake, i'm too much a trance listener, but on a technical standpoint you're doing very well.

I just got my first album done, named Umbrage:

They're character themes, so it's kind of video gamey, just warning you guys.

While I'm here: I'm awful at terminology for physical instruments, so what's the easiest way to modify a guitar's... "duty cycle" in a predictable fashion? As in, the way the guitar goes all tremolo heard here at the 2:07 mark.

I don't know if it's even possible or if I'm missing something obvious, like screwing with the modulation or careful volume control and alternating notes the way you'd do to fake strings in tremolo. Any suggestions?

J10

Banned
I just got my first album done, named Umbrage:

They're character themes, so it's kind of video gamey, just warning you guys.

While I'm here: I'm awful at terminology for physical instruments, so what's the easiest way to modify a guitar's... "duty cycle" in a predictable fashion? As in, the way the guitar goes all tremolo heard here at the 2:07 mark.

I don't know if it's even possible or if I'm missing something obvious, like screwing with the modulation or careful volume control and alternating notes the way you'd do to fake strings in tremolo. Any suggestions?

Probably crank up the modulation rate on a wah effect really high on a sustained note.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Don't think I posted this here, but my band covered Tay tay's 22.

here it is!
968997_605639206147609_1395152832_n.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Hey you guys, got a new track out "Stasis"

What's everyone up to? Tr4nce, Fuse, neos? It's been too long.

My man, I threw all my toys out of the cot lol, sold my eurorack modular, minibrute, shruthi, blofeld and meeblip outboard synths, sold a bunch of outboard fx, sold my copy of Ableton Suite 9 and now I'm just using a Virus Ti2 Polar with Studio One 2.5 and a handful of plugs like Ozone 5 and the Valhalla reverbs and that covers pretty much all my needs and my workflow has never been as good as it is now. Still got a rack of outboard gear with my Moog and DSI and tube compressor and stuff but its gathering dust. Haven't even got my Maschine controller plugged in lately, I'm just building beats sound by sound.

My tracks still get 0 comments tho so now just gotta figure out how to turn my new productive into something good lol!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Let's all wish a happy birthday to Tr4nce. :) Hope you enjoyed it my man!

eh, i'm here lurking but i'm really not taking the business seriously lately, i'm just making silly things for friends.
However i'm in on thre I'm Going to Make Music and You Can Too thread, i promised a track by december 31st and i really want do this one right.

As for your track, holy shit man, i remember what you were posting like an year ago, and i swear on my mother you have evolved A LOT, and in the good way.
What you do is still not my cupcake, i'm too much a trance listener, but on a technical standpoint you're doing very well.
Just 1 track? AIM HIGHER MAN! What's stopping you? Bad case of writer's block?

And thanks dude! I wasn't kidding when I said I was still learning. :p

My man, I threw all my toys out of the cot lol, sold my eurorack modular, minibrute, shruthi, blofeld and meeblip outboard synths, sold a bunch of outboard fx, sold my copy of Ableton Suite 9 and now I'm just using a Virus Ti2 Polar with Studio One 2.5 and a handful of plugs like Ozone 5 and the Valhalla reverbs and that covers pretty much all my needs and my workflow has never been as good as it is now. Still got a rack of outboard gear with my Moog and DSI and tube compressor and stuff but its gathering dust. Haven't even got my Maschine controller plugged in lately, I'm just building beats sound by sound.

My tracks still get 0 comments tho so now just gotta figure out how to turn my new productive into something good lol!
Woah woah woah why did you go on a equipment selling spree? It's often better to start simple but man those are still your babies, after all. And dude, if you mixed your electro stuff with your brilliant guitar work, I think you might be on to something. Give it a try man, it's been too long since you posted a guitar track.

Don't think I posted this here, but my band covered Tay tay's 22.

here it is!
Great as always man. Commented a while back on that.

Foshy

Hey guys, I'll be releasing my first EP, "The Golden EP" next monday. It'll contain 5 tracks and will be sold on BandCamp for $5.

You can hear the first track here. Tell me what you think :)

Yasae

Banned
I was going over technique for a few days here and thought about ways to recreate the H3000 trick. It's an old faux stereo sleight of hand used constantly on vocals - two very short delays panned hard left and right, then each is pitch shifted 10 cents in opposite directions. For slicker productions this is de facto in the mixes, though it was used more as an effect in the 80s (i.e. Steve Winwood's "Back In the High Life Again"). Interesting that a pronounced effect because a subtle footnote as the years went by.

I managed to get some good results with Discord3 on these settings:

4cNVGHw.jpg

...With some room to play around. It's similar to early reflections in that the low end of the vocal is smeared and FX don't seem as pronounced because they "bloom" from the send rather than immediately appearing off to the side(s). Very useful.

neos

Just 1 track? AIM HIGHER MAN! What's stopping you? Bad case of writer's block?

And thanks dude! I wasn't kidding when I said I was still learning. :p
Well, since i never really got to finish a track, looks like that's something i have to force mysewf to do. One step at a time, i'm in no hurry:)

okno

Hi guys, one time poster, long-time lurker, zero-time contributor. I'm having an issue with Reason, specifically Reason 5 (not sure if it really matters.) I've been utilizing the Thor step sequencer, and I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to record the pattern sequences to track and nothing I find through Google is of any help. Does anyone here know of a way to do such a thing? I know I can use the Matrix sequencer, but it's not nearly as easy to use as Thor's native sequencer. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Karak

Oh lord I need to get working. I have been so busy doing video game reviews I haven't opened the faithful DAW in over a week. Damn:(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I fixed my latency issues. Once I plugged in my Audio Interface and got that configured, all was well. I may just go but an MPK Mini this weekend. For $100, I get a nice controller that doesn't eat too much desk space. I also may buy a Launchpad again. I enjoyed it when I had it, but I stoppe producing and sold it. Now that I'm getting back into it, I kind of want one again.

lil smoke

Banned
I was actually thinking of picking up some kind of controller today myself, like the Novations, but they are god ugly to leave on the desk.

Had the MPD, not plug and play enough for me.

Anybody use Cubase?

neos

Hi guys, one time poster, long-time lurker, zero-time contributor. I'm having an issue with Reason, specifically Reason 5 (not sure if it really matters.) I've been utilizing the Thor step sequencer, and I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to record the pattern sequences to track and nothing I find through Google is of any help. Does anyone here know of a way to do such a thing? I know I can use the Matrix sequencer, but it's not nearly as easy to use as Thor's native sequencer. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
I'm sorry but i don't think you can do it. You have to input manually all the datas to the sequencer,but that would be craziness.
What about setting up a sequenced Thor and use it (for example) for 1 bar, then duplicate the device (and the track) and use this second Thor with the different pattern you wanted for the second bar and so on?
Surely you must be sure that the first Thor patch is exactly what you need before going on with multiple duplication, otherwise you'd have to re-set every change of the patch for all the duplicated Thors manually.

Foshy

Sorry for spamming and cross-posting from the other music thread, but The Golden EP is out now!

http://maurozocco.bandcamp.com/

Give it a listen and tell me what you think, you can obviously stream all the tracks for free. In case you really like it, I'd obviously love if you bought a few tracks off it :)

Drakken

Finished a new song! Something different for me: funky electronic rock with a dirty, in-your-face synth bass. Excited about this one!

http://soundcloud.com/drakken/big-ideas-finished

I finally finished the first song for my new project "YOU I". It's kind of uhhh..Dream Bass music I guess. I hate figuring out genres haha. Anyway, give it a listen. Let me know what you think:

http://soundcloud.com/you_i/the-other-side

Nice production. Definitely a dreamy feel.

Got a new song out: In Good Spirits

Tried to keep it as simple as I could by avoiding cramming in solos that didn't need to be there in the first place. I plan to revisit this approach in some other songs down the road.

Really like this one! It's got a great vibe to it. Lol'ing at your description, haha.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Finished a new song! Something different for me: funky electronic rock with a dirty, in-your-face synth bass. Excited about this one!

http://soundcloud.com/drakken/big-ideas-finished
Damn I love this. Rock solid job on the drums and bass. To this day I can't replicate that piano sound lol. What effects do you add to the piano?

Really like this one! It's got a great vibe to it. Lol'ing at your description, haha.
Haha thanks! Finally someone appreciates the amount of effort I put into that description. :D

Drakken

Damn I love this. Rock solid job on the drums and bass. To this day I can't replicate that piano sound lol. What effects do you add to the piano?

Thanks! It's the "Alien Piano 1" patch from Cakewalk's Dimension Pro synth/sampler. I don't think I added any effects to it; that's pretty much how it sounds out of the box. Hence why I love using it so much, ha.

kidko

hello! Sub'd because I really need to get back into production after this crunch is done at work. Gonna start adding people on soundcloud for inspiration and to get back into it. Mine is old and just has a few dj mixes and sketches, not really representative of my sound but that's what they all say, right? https://soundcloud.com/kidko

Top Bottom