• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF's Official Music Production Thread: calling all producers

Servbot24

Banned
Well you can get the above keyboard in a 25 key version for $150. Otherwise the one you posted is pretty much what you can get for $100, unless you're willing to try shopping used.

Professior Chaos: I have a cheap Numark Pro 2 set with Traktor. Would it also be possible to bind a midi keyboard to Traktor, because it's midi? (and yes, Traktor supports more then 1 controller)?

I don't use Traktor so I can't say for certain, but I assume you would be able to.

As for keyboards, an M-audio keyrig 49 has served me pretty well over the years. They're pretty cheap, but they're also no frills - they don't have any assignable knobs or fadders that you can macro.

Fusebox

Banned
I am staring at a pile of like $6000 of high end modular gear that is collecting dust in a corner. Lately my musical drive and inspiration have been zero, because of life stuff, but I'm feeling motivated to change that.

I know that feel. I stripped my rig back recently to get my productivity back up again and it's working for the moment.

amnesiac

This was a thread of mine that failed:

If anyone uses Garageband, can you help me out?

I have a Yamaha keyboard with a sustain pedal hooked up via USB to my computer running through Garageband. When I am monitoring my playing with a software instrument (MIDI), everything works, including the sustain pedal. However when I record, Garageband doesn't record sustained notes when the pedal is pressed.

Basically: Monitor/Not recording = sustain; Recording = no sustain.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

This was a thread of mine that failed:

If anyone uses Garageband, can you help me out?

I have a Yamaha keyboard with a sustain pedal hooked up via USB to my computer running through Garageband. When I am monitoring my playing with a software instrument (MIDI), everything works, including the sustain pedal. However when I record, Garageband doesn't record sustained notes when the pedal is pressed.

Basically: Monitor/Not recording = sustain; Recording = no sustain.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

I've never used Garageband, so this might not be of much help to you. You need to find the Midi CC information in Garageband. Midi CC 64 controls sustain. It may be switched off.

That's all I've got I'm afraid. It may at least point you in the right direction.

Kansoku

Hello there, I'm not certain that this Is the place, but I have a feel questions.

I've been interested in composing music digitally. Basically using only VSTs and do shit like ZREO or Theophany. I know the basics of music theory, and I will study it more.
Now, I wondering if there's a DAW or a way to use either my computer keyboard (yeah), or my guitar as a MIDI controller. I'll be doing this just for fun and I don't want to spend money until I find if I really want to go on with this or not. Since these are not your fully fletched MIDI controllers I would be changing the pitches, volumes and whatnot manually. I just want to use either of those two because it would be simpler than having to put and change the duration of notes manually by mouse.

I know it's a weird thing to ask, but thanks in advanced.

Gazoinks

Hello there, I'm not certain that this Is the place, but I have a feel questions.

I've been interested in composing music digitally. Basically using only VSTs and do shit like ZREO or Theophany. I know the basics of music theory, and I will study it more.
Now, I wondering if there's a DAW or a way to use either my computer keyboard (yeah), or my guitar as a MIDI controller. I'll be doing this just for fun and I don't want to spend money until I find if I really want to go on with this or not. Since these are not your fully fletched MIDI controllers I would be changing the pitches, volumes and whatnot manually. I just want to use either of those two because it would be simpler than having to put and change the duration of notes manually by mouse.

I use Reaper and it has an onscreen keyboard you can play with the computer keyboard, I assume most other DAWs do. For the guitar, you need an adapter. I've tried with a couple of cheap ones and had a lot of trouble, so if you want it to actually work you may need to spend a little money (isn't that always the way?).

EDIT: Alternatively, if you're looking for composing things completely digitally, you can use a MIDI scoring software like Finale, or the piano roll or whatever of your DAW. I do pretty much all of the composing for my stuff using Reaper's piano roll.

amnesiac

I've never used Garageband, so this might not be of much help to you. You need to find the Midi CC information in Garageband. Midi CC 64 controls sustain. It may be switched off.

That's all I've got I'm afraid. It may at least point you in the right direction.
Unfortunately Garageband doesn't let you assign the MIDI notes, which sucks. Perhaps I should look into Logic. Thanks for the help.

Check this out its a vst plugin that converts guitar audio into midi notes. It's in Beta at the moment, but works surprisingly well. It can track fast playing, but sometimes has trouble tracking large chords/strums. A demo is avaliable.

Edit: And another neat thing, it tracks vibrato so you can sustain indefinitely by using vibrato on the guitar, I was playing a sampled cello patch the other day and you can get some pretty realistic results with it.

Kansoku

I use Reaper and it has an onscreen keyboard you can play with the computer keyboard, I assume most other DAWs do. For the guitar, you need an adapter. I've tried with a couple of cheap ones and had a lot of trouble, so if you want it to actually work you may need to spend a little money (isn't that always the way?).

EDIT: Alternatively, if you're looking for composing things completely digitally, you can use a MIDI scoring software like Finale, or the piano roll or whatever of your DAW. I do pretty much all of the composing for my stuff using Reaper's piano roll.

Check this out its a vst plugin that converts guitar audio into midi notes. It's in Beta at the moment, but works surprisingly well. It can track fast playing, but sometimes has trouble tracking large chords/strums. A demo is avaliable.

Edit: And another neat thing, it tracks vibrato so you can sustain indefinitely by using vibrato on the guitar, I was playing a sampled cello patch the other day and you can get some pretty realistic results with it.

Thanks to both. I will take a look on Reaper and Jam Origin.

Gazoinks

Ooh, that's cool. I've slacked horribly on my guitar playing, but I'll have to check this out.

Fusebox

Banned
Gettin my funky house on:

https://soundcloud.com/kaarma/my-house

Moog Minitaur, DSI Tetra and Virus TI being superfriends in this tune. I used the Pro Art VLAII tube compressor on the master bus for a change, it stole my highs so I had to run that back from the hardware and through Ozone again to restore some top end air. The VLAII adds a nice bit of weight but I reckon I could probably get the same effect with a decent master bus console VST so I might sell it off.

Dreaver

I'm probably going to get this M-audio Oxygen 49-Key USB midi keyboard. Read some good things about it and it seems quite solid.

I've also tried Fruity Loops on Mac, but it doesn't really work that well. It's quite buggy and it still has a Windows skin (in folder browsing for example). I'm thinking of trying / getting either Logic or Cubase (a friend recommended this). For a newb producing electronical music, do you guys recommend one of them?

I'm probably going to get this M-audio Oxygen 49-Key USB midi keyboard. Read some good things about it and it seems quite solid.

I've also tried Fruity Loops on Mac, but it doesn't really work that well. It's quite buggy and it still has a Windows skin (in folder browsing for example). I'm thinking of trying / getting either Logic or Cubase (a friend recommended this). For a newb producing electronical music, do you guys recommend one of them?

There's no harm in trying both. I would personally recommend Logic over Cubase. Imo Logic comes with a better assortment of content and is less bloated than Cubase. I had to use Cubase in college and I found it pretty unintuitive tbh. But having said that, if your friend uses Cubase and he is willing to help you learn it, you will definitely progress quicker by having his expertise on hand.

Kaizer

Banned
Hey guys, wondering if I could get some help with a problem I'm having in Ableton Live 9. I'm a Reason user and just recently got Ableton Live 9 after hearing good things about from friends to incorporate into my productions as well.

I also have RAZOR from Native Instruments, which is opened via Native Instruments Reaktor 5. Problem is, I have no idea how to get this thing to appear under plugins in Ableton LIve. For reference, I'm using the 32-bit version of Ableton Live, my Windows 8 is 64-bit & I believe Reaktor 5/RAZOR is a 64-bit plugin.

J10

Banned
You had Ableton scan the folder containing the VST? If not, you'll find the option to do that in the Preferences menu under the File/Folder tab.

J10

Banned
Missed the part about 32-bit Ableton. You're not going to get this to work. Either get 64-bit Ableton or 32-bit plugins. You cannot bridge between the two in Ableton.

Hey guys, wondering if I could get some help with a problem I'm having in Ableton Live 9. I'm a Reason user and just recently got Ableton Live 9 after hearing good things about from friends to incorporate into my productions as well.

I also have RAZOR from Native Instruments, which is opened via Native Instruments Reaktor 5. Problem is, I have no idea how to get this thing to appear under plugins in Ableton LIve. For reference, I'm using the 32-bit version of Ableton Live, my Windows 8 is 64-bit & I believe Reaktor 5/RAZOR is a 64-bit plugin.

A 64bit plugin will not work with a 32bit DAW. You need to get the 32bit versions of Reaktor and razor. Or get the 64bit version of Ableton.

Kaizer

Banned
Okay, thanks guys, I will check on Native Instruments site then.

EDIT: Haha, turns out I was just dumb. NI installs both the 64-bit & 32-bit versions of the software on your hard drive, I was just looking at the wrong program folder for the 32-bit version. Now everything's peachy.

I've never done a full remix before so I've got a question that hopefully some of y'all hopefully might know.

I'm using FL10 and I've got an existing song that I want to add a percussion track and maybe an instrument or two. I've got the first verse of the song perfectly beatmatched with what I have on my playlist, which in this is case a 4 to the floor kick. But the 2nd verse is off by a 32nd note or something like that throws off the entire kick drum. You can definitely hear the kick come in before the actual 1st beat of the song, so how the hell does that happen?

The song's tempo is in between 126-128. The first verse is definitely 128, but the second one where my beatmatching gets screwed up is slower by a hair than 128 so I'm honestly baffled at how something like this happens.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Pro Tools at home, otherwise this would be a quick fix.

Do y'all have any ideas on how to fix this or am I just gonna have to buckle down and edit the entire thing by hand?

Fusebox

Banned
Bought a new Macbook Pro for music.

Got home, Virus TI doesn't work with Mavericks. New Focusrite Forte sound card arrives, doesn't work with Mavericks.

Fucking Mavericks. Deciding whether to wait for updates to fix the problems or buy Mountain Goat or whatever that last OS was.

Getting around Studio One with the macbook trackpad is amazing though, I can't see myself going back to a Win laptop for music production.

trixx

so i would like to make some music but the problem is i have no idea what tools i would need and the only insturment i know how to play is the saxophone which i haven't played in 4 years. I wanted to do something along the lines of hip hop/electronic.

I currently have a sony vaio laptop so i got Acid music studio 8.0 for free. Any tips?

neos

so i would like to make some music but the problem is i have no idea what tools i would need and the only insturment i know how to play is the saxophone which i haven't played in 4 years. I wanted to do something along the lines of hip hop/electronic.

I currently have a sony vaio laptop so i got Acid music studio 8.0 for free. Any tips?

I've never used Acid, so the only true advice i can give you is to start watching some basic tutorials on how the software works.
Also, read the manual. It took me some time, but i discovered some really useful tricks on the 792 pages of Reason manual:)
Also, put in practice the examples given in the the manual\tutorials. Watching someone do a thing and do it yourself is not the same thing:)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Wrote music for this awesome Math-puzzle game called 'Match a Number' out on iOS. Would love to know what you guys think of it. It was designed by my good friend Amidos. We've agreed to be partners so you'll be seeing a lot of Agent Whiskers in his games soon. We're also releasing an arcade highscore game called Atomic+ in the coming months. Look out for it!

What's everyone else up to?

Bought a new Macbook Pro for music.

Got home, Virus TI doesn't work with Mavericks. New Focusrite Forte sound card arrives, doesn't work with Mavericks.

Fucking Mavericks. Deciding whether to wait for updates to fix the problems or buy Mountain Goat or whatever that last OS was.

Getting around Studio One with the macbook trackpad is amazing though, I can't see myself going back to a Win laptop for music production.

One of us! One of us! Luckily I haven't run into any compatibility problems with Mavericks just yet. Smooth transition on my end.

neos

Lot's of music news for me.

One of my favorite remixes I did finally got released...long sample here:

https://soundcloud.com/yanixmusic/ilya-mosolov-perun-yanix-remix
this is wild

And then the remix pack of one of my originals 'Derecho' got released as well. I'm in love with the remixes, brilliant progressive breaks and progressive house. The breaks remix by BETA is actually #12 in the Beatport breaks top 100 (woot!)

http://www.beatport.com/release/derecho-remixes/1176704

Nice way to end the year :)
Cngratulations, listening to some of your stuff, awesome work

neos

Thanks for listening, much appreciated. Keep up with the trance work yourself, I like what I'm hearing :)

Thank you:)

I'm working on my first track with vocals in it, and i'm trying tor recreate that ghost-voice effect (don't know if it has a name), it's like a far voice whispering the word that the main voice is going to say,here is an example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsvu3e4u79kqomc/SL_vocals.mp3

and here's the best i could do after a few experiments
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3p4mvsdjmmm2g7/welcome.mp3

BAsically i played a small portion loop of the clean voice sample, added a long reverb and recorded it, then played it reversed before the main sample.
i don't know if it's me or Reason's nn-xt sampler, but getting that small portion of the voice looping without clipping\unwanted noise took me a lot of time, and if i have to do this for every sample it'll took me ages.
Any advice?

Fusebox

Banned
One of us! One of us! Luckily I haven't run into any compatibility problems with Mavericks just yet. Smooth transition on my end.

Haha, Im loving my Macbook for music production, that trackpad is killer. Also I returned the Forte as it was showing 21ms of latency at 128samples on my Win 7 machine and there was no fix in sight for Mavericks and instead I got the Saffire Pro 24 DSP, back down to 3ms latency at 128 fuck yeah. Same rock solid driver as my Pro 40 but with their fancy doodad virtual monitoring headphone thing.

Heads up folks: Native Instruments Razor and FXpansion DCAM Synth Squad are on sale right now.

I'm mighty tempted.

Razor is awesome, one of my faves.

Other Black Friday sales I've seen so far:

Studio One DAW - I finally upgraded to the Pro version for $100.

Snagged Alloy 2 for $85z

Waves... so much Waves on sale except for the one thing I want, the SSL 4000 pack.

Ohmforce Quad Frohmage... this would have excited me 7 years ago but now I'm meh, same with the DCAM synth squad offering.

Sugar Bytes Cyclops - I'm gonna grab this, wish Wow2 was on sale though.

Just got a 50% offer to upgrade to NI Komplete 9 too, hmm that's tempting for Monark.

What other Black Friday plugin sales have you guys seen? Post em up peeps.

Thank you:)

I'm working on my first track with vocals in it, and i'm trying tor recreate that ghost-voice effect (don't know if it has a name), it's like a far voice whispering the word that the main voice is going to say,here is an example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsvu3e4u79kqomc/SL_vocals.mp3

and here's the best i could do after a few experiments
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3p4mvsdjmmm2g7/welcome.mp3

BAsically i played a small portion loop of the clean voice sample, added a long reverb and recorded it, then played it reversed before the main sample.
i don't know if it's me or Reason's nn-xt sampler, but getting that small portion of the voice looping without clipping\unwanted noise took me a lot of time, and if i have to do this for every sample it'll took me ages.
Any advice?

Thats one way to try it...I tried an effect in my last original that's kinda similar, or maybe the exact same thing you're shooting for. If you go here and listen around the 2:40 mark, you'll hear it:

https://soundcloud.com/yanixmusic/yanix-derecho-original-breaks

But there's another reversed effect layered on top of the voice effect, so you'll have to try to ignore that layer.

But anyway, what I did was I took the vocal sample, and reversed it first, and THEN ran it through a big long reverb as a reversed file. I took a bounce of that, and then, after importing the bounced file, reversed it back to normal. This way, you get the reverb of the first syllable of the vocal sweeping into the first hit of the vocal . Once you have that reversed reverb sweeping up into the vocal as audio, you can trim it how you want. You can make it really loud and put a volume envelope on it to create a very harsh sweep-up effect. You can speed it up or slow it down.

Because you ran the vocal through a big reverb, if you continue to play your bounced file beyond the 'sweep up' stage, it'll probably sound really messy. So, just play the reverse reverb effect that you bounced up until the vocal hits, and then just cut it right as your normal vocals start playing on another channel. So in the end, you have this really big reverse reverb effect playing and it will sweep up into your normal vocals based on how you set up your volume curve. You may not even need to draw in volume automation if you're lucky, it might just sweep into your vocal sample perfectly.

Also, another thing...if it sounds awkward having your reverse reverb effect sweep up into the normal vocal and then just immediately being cut off, copy the sweep you're using, and paste it again right afterwards, but reverse that new copy. Sound confusing? What you'll have is the reverse reverb effect you made sweeping up, but then it will hit the same bounced file in reverse right afterwards; thus, you'll have a reverse reverb sweeping up and then immediately sweeping back down. It's the same file playing back to back, only one is forward and the other is backward. This will allow some 'release' or 'sustain' for your reverb effect to play in the backround once your normal vocal sample starts to play after the effect without the listener being jarred by an effect suddenly dropping out.

Besides that, you can also put a sidechain compressor on your reverse reverb effect and play with the compressor theshold and release settings until you get some cool pumping effects.

Give that stuff a whirl and see what happens.

Sugar Bytes Cyclops - I'm gonna grab this, wish Wow2 was on sale though.

Just got a 50% offer to upgrade to NI Komplete 9 too, hmm that's tempting for Monark.

What other Black Friday plugin sales have you guys seen? Post em up peeps.

You're in luck, I found Wow2 on sale here for $74.25

Applied Acoustics Systems have 50% off everything. I really like Lounge Lizard and Chromaphone.

I've been getting info on all the deals by lurking on this thread at KVR. There's over twenty pages of deals to go through if you have the time and inclination :)

Btw the filters on Monark are incredible.

neos

Thats one way to try it...I tried an effect in my last original that's kinda similar, or maybe the exact same thing you're shooting for. If you go here and listen around the 2:40 mark, you'll hear it:

https://soundcloud.com/yanixmusic/yanix-derecho-original-breaks

But there's another reversed effect layered on top of the voice effect, so you'll have to try to ignore that layer.

But anyway, what I did was I took the vocal sample, and reversed it first, and THEN ran it through a big long reverb as a reversed file. I took a bounce of that, and then, after importing the bounced file, reversed it back to normal. This way, you get the reverb of the first syllable of the vocal sweeping into the first hit of the vocal . Once you have that reversed reverb sweeping up into the vocal as audio, you can trim it how you want. You can make it really loud and put a volume envelope on it to create a very harsh sweep-up effect. You can speed it up or slow it down.

Because you ran the vocal through a big reverb, if you continue to play your bounced file beyond the 'sweep up' stage, it'll probably sound really messy. So, just play the reverse reverb effect that you bounced up until the vocal hits, and then just cut it right as your normal vocals start playing on another channel. So in the end, you have this really big reverse reverb effect playing and it will sweep up into your normal vocals based on how you set up your volume curve. You may not even need to draw in volume automation if you're lucky, it might just sweep into your vocal sample perfectly.

Also, another thing...if it sounds awkward having your reverse reverb effect sweep up into the normal vocal and then just immediately being cut off, copy the sweep you're using, and paste it again right afterwards, but reverse that new copy. Sound confusing? What you'll have is the reverse reverb effect you made sweeping up, but then it will hit the same bounced file in reverse right afterwards; thus, you'll have a reverse reverb sweeping up and then immediately sweeping back down. It's the same file playing back to back, only one is forward and the other is backward. This will allow some 'release' or 'sustain' for your reverb effect to play in the backround once your normal vocal sample starts to play after the effect without the listener being jarred by an effect suddenly dropping out.

Besides that, you can also put a sidechain compressor on your reverse reverb effect and play with the compressor theshold and release settings until you get some cool pumping effects.

I don't know how to thank you, i will make treasure of this.

hoverX

Can the Maschine micro do everything that studio can except you'd just have to use your mouse and keyboard more? Trying to decide between the 3 models

Anyone have any recommended headphones for mastering/mixing?

Just got Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones for $99 because of the great reviews, but im wondering if I should keep these or keep looking for a better upgrade

Do you guys have an easier time composing fast songs, or slow ones? I'm admittedly more of a harmonic thinker than a melodic one, but I just wrote the opening to an adagio for my next album and I'm surprised at how consistent (not to mention quickly) it came together; it's about 1:20 and took a little under an hour and a half to fully figure out.

Here's a link to it. Keep in mind this isn't a finished version; it's just the raw melody plugged in to a single EastWest Quantum Leap string synth.

FiRez

I bet this has been asked many times in the past but I'd like to know if this is a sound idea for my case:

I've teaching myself piano and music theory for roughly 3 months but what I would really like to learn is how to compose a song using a combination of DAW + Vocaloid.

So, I just started learning about FL Studio, its interface, making some beats while inputting the chords and notes of my child-like repertory of piano songs. However, I find it a bit tiring and stilted.

I was thinking about buying a small midi controller, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00466HM28/?tag=neogaf0e-20

At the beginning I was considering just buying an interface for my Yamaha keyboard but considering the price and the portability (Nowadays, I only use my laptop and spent most of time outside my house) I think buying this controller will be a good idea

and some headphones, because my In-ear buds get really uncomfortable after playing around with FL Studio for a while:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000092YPR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I decided to go with FL Studio because it seems to be the default choice for beginners and also the workflow makes sense for me.

Btw... Can you guys direct me to some good starting point resources? I'm currently using the Beat General Videos, they´re quite easy to follow but unfortunately they´re focused to hip hop.

neos

And soi i did:) This is the track i commited myself to complete by december 31st for the "i'm going to make music and you can too" trhead.
Blindzoom Ft. FelixOrion - The Rabbit Hole (Original Mix)
Again, thank you for your advice.

New rager mix for 2014 up. 1 hour of banger! I tried to put your track in NEO but my partner didn't want trance. Live though I'm going to drop it soon. This is going to be a good year. I can feel it! free download. much <3

https://soundcloud.com/officialgoldenfox/found-dead-on-new-years-mix

Don't worry man, no problem, i've never expected that track to be played from someone else:D
Listening to your mix as i'm writing

neos

hope you kind of enjoyed it. I know you're a trance guy and that's some hard electro
woooops, i've missed the reply. yeah i kind of enjoyed, liked the mixing technique, even if i'm not an expert of mixing, but i quitted the last 10 minutes or so due to the lacking of melodies:)

Keep up the good work man, i have to say that calm down as quite been around in my playlist,the part around 2 minutes when it goes "everybody just calm down" with the "down" sample pitching down is pure awesomeness in my book. fun track overall, you're heading in the right way imho

Somehow managed to rack up a significant amount of plays for this remix competition I entered. Would be interesting to see if I'm within a shot of winning!

http://indaba.us/bpeu

In all honesty, there are maybe 2 or 3 other really well produced ones that I actually like a lot. Most of the submissions are a bit, well, guff, seeing as the technical abilities vary wildly from person to person.

The grand prize is decided by the band themselves which is good, so in actuality, votes/plays mean nothing in the end.

neos

Somehow managed to rack up a significant amount of plays for this remix competition I entered. Would be interesting to see if I'm within a shot of winning!

http://indaba.us/bpeu

In all honesty, there are maybe 2 or 3 other really well produced ones that I actually like a lot. Most of the submissions are a bit, well, guff, seeing as the technical abilities vary wildly from person to person.

The grand prize is decided by the band themselves which is good, so in actuality, votes/plays mean nothing in the end.

listened to this on the other thread, but i wasn't on the mood to reply i'm sorry. Surely this stand out in the production value, a very good track, clean but powerful. congratulations, one day i want to be at your level, sir:)

listened to this on the other thread, but i wasn't on the mood to reply i'm sorry. Surely this stand out in the production value, a very good track, clean but powerful. congratulations, one day i want to be at your level, sir:)

Gah, yeah, i get confused which thread I've posted in since there are like 3 music related!

Thanks! Appreciate the kind words. It's just time and practice that has pushed me to this point. 4 years ago, I couldn't of dreamed of managing to produce something like this. But I just kept working at it whenever I got the chance.

All I can say is just be open to trying out lots of different styles. It took me ages to find my groove, to sit down and go "yeah, actually, i'm pretty happy to put this out there".

I can still trace back to where I started messing about with music properly, I had a really old Myspace page, with some weird ass stuff. Some of it could be pretty good if I polished it up, but I used to rarely ever finish stuff back then. I found it easier to make electronic music in the end.

https://myspace.com/thehollownightversion2/music/songs

Top Bottom