• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix 2 |OT| The lost levels.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Some random rips:
nesremix1_loading.png
nesremix2_loading.png
Colors aren't 100% accurate (too dark reds, too bright greens) because my capture card samples everything in YUY2.

Some music (title themes, remix 2 stage 7, records scroll):
FLAC
MP3

Anyway, I finally got rainbow stars on everything and collected every stamp. Total playtime:
NES Remix 1 - 21hr 48min
NES Remix 2 - 16hr 27min

The Remix 2 log includes a full no-warp play of Super Luigi Bros and a decent number of NWC runs.

mclem

Broke 1M last night on NWC for the first time. Still a few places outside the top ten. My performance on Dr. Mario does seem significantly luck-based, though.

zroid

Banned
I've not played the first one. Should I buy that first?

It's a great game so you should play it. But if you want to know which one is better, well, that's tricky.

At the very least it's good to own both so you can try the Championship Mode, which is a lot of fun.

maxcriden

For those who bought both :

Which one should I buy first ?

Which one is Best ?

I'd say get the first one first unless you will feel like you're missing out not playing the games in the second one first. Both are great, just in different ways.

Soodanim

I bought both NES Remix games earlier today. I loaded up the first game to try out, and after seeing the small list of games and challenges I wasn't quite sure if I would regret the purchases.

2 hours, a few hundred stars, and ~double the amount of games later I'm wondering if this isn't the best purchase I've made in a very long time outside of the Wii U itself. Nintendo you diamonds.

Thank you GAF.

You can get fucked if you think I'm rainbowing everything though.

maxcriden

Ah man, in Remix II the
upside-down Wario's Woods challenge is nuts. Really creative idea, a la Super Luigi Bros.

And in the Metroid challenges,
I really enjoyed the morph ball descent challenge.
I really thought I'd get rainbow on that because I felt like I was going pretty quickly, but it'll just be a good incentive to play it again. That was a fun one.

mclem

I wonder if every level (or every remix?) has a Luigi. He's in the very first one, at least; appears in the third card slot randomly at the start.

EmSeta

And in the Metroid challenges,
I really enjoyed the morph ball descent challenge.
I really thought I'd get rainbow on that because I felt like I was going pretty quickly, but it'll just be a good incentive to play it again. That was a fun one.

Just stick to the right wall, and you can just keep falling.

terrisus

Haha, that's not the intention, though!

It's kind of like in Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (yeah, probably no one here other than me who played through that game). There's a potion that confuses you and makes your controls backwards. However, there's also a maze where you have to navigate through it with your controls backwards. If you drink that potion while in that maze, though, your controls are normal.

maxcriden

It's kind of like in Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (yeah, probably no one here other than me who played through that game). There's a potion that confuses you and makes your controls backwards. However, there's also a maze where you have to navigate through it with your controls backwards. If you drink that potion while in that maze, though, your controls are normal.

I totally get where you're coming from. And I do remember reading about that game when I picked up an N64 UK magazine in Ontario one time. I just feel like the intention of the developer there was to actually play Wario's Woods upside-down. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, I just feel like it's not the same as Shadowgate 64 because in that case the workaround was built into the game itself.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH GOD.

BONUS STAGE 19.

I don't know how I got rainbow 3-stars, but I NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN.

Edit: Wow,
stars to unlock NES Open Tournament Golf? Well, guess that motivates me to finally getting around to Kid Icarus & SMB Lost Levels since I haven't even started them yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well got all 504 stars. Not sure if I wanna rainbow rank everything (did it for NES Open Tournament Golf, Punch-Out, Dr. Mario, & Wario's Woods...& now Zelda 2) just for the final secret.

shawnlreed

I got one million in Championship mode today, which put me #22 on the leaderboard.

13976716158_ae3a54e47c_n.jpg

You people are just too damn good at that game!
I seriously need to practice getting chains/combos in Dr. Mario.
Overall, I'm very happy with NES Remix 1 & 2
I hope Nintendo makes more of these.

Andrew.

Banned
Dug my U out of my drawer and downloaded this sumbitch about a half hour ago and man, what a blissful ride this is turning out to be. I'm not all anal about my rainbows like you guys though. As long as I get three stars, I'm good.

Love the fact my muscle memory from when I was 9 & 10 still remains fully intact for Mario 3. So awesome!

Andrew.

Banned
Is it me or does anyone else think that Nintendo made this sequel a bit easier/more accessible to the masses due to the mega popularity of the games included?

Maybe it's my mad skillz, muscle memory or whatever, but I blew through the challenges in Mario 2 and Mario 3 like nobody's business. Punch Out was pretty disappointing with it's length and simplicity as well. Here I was thinking I was going to have to at the very least take on Popinski, Sandman or Mr Dream for a round.

And how in the hell do I play Wario's Woods? I got all the way up to Remix 18 and was like "Uh, what?"

Please tell me something like Zelda II doesnt fuck around. Im up to Metroid now and it's kinda laughable. Even for the first round (finding the maru mari), they give you a damn arrow on the screen telling you where it is! Come on son...

Kouriozan

It is indeed easier than NES Remix 1.
But then the first one has Pinball (almost 100% luck based), Clu Clu Land where it takes time to learn how to play or even Ice Climber which control pretty badly.

Sixfortyfive

Is it me or does anyone else think that Nintendo made this sequel a bit easier/more accessible to the masses due to the mega popularity of the games included?
It's not just you.

Getting all rainbows in NES Remix 1 is a matter of mastering each of the games and playing most of them to their fullest.
Getting all rainbows in NES Remix 2 is a matter of playing through what is basically a tutorial for each game.

This is basically why I think NES Remix 1 is the better game.

Even when including a full no-warp play of Super Luigi Bros and a fair bit of time with NWC Remix, my total playtime for 100%ing NES Remix 2 was quite a bit shorter than NES Remix 1.

Andrew.

Banned
Ok cool that's what I thought.

Yeah, the games do seem much more tutorial like.

I went back to Remix 1 and was pretty shocked at the difference in terms of what's demanded of the player skillwise.

Andrew.

Banned
If you want to mess with your muscle memory, give Super Luigi Bros. a try.

I did play it for a couple levels, but Im not a fan of the floaty jumps. Ive never been that good at original SMB anyways and Ive never beaten it shockingly. Im sure the Lost Levels challenges will serve my ass something fierce.

Sixfortyfive

The Lost Levels challenges were disappointingly easy except for
that one at the tail end of the remix challenges, where they throw a piece of every level of the second quest at you. Not sure why that one was in the remix category though.

I really enjoyed playing through this game. It improved on the original and replays are pretty neat. I am hoping for a Gameboy Remix or SNES Remix in the future. Also, wow at
Stars for the final unlock. I think I am at 350 or so.

Andrew.

Banned
Do you really have to fight almost every boss out of Zelda II? Because if so that's gonna own me big time.

How are the Icarus challenges?

maxcriden

Do you really have to fight almost every boss out of Zelda II? Because if so that's gonna own me big time.

How are the Icarus challenges?

I really liked the KI challenges, but I've never played the original games.

As for Zelda II, you'll be fighting some bosses, yes, but their health will be almost entirely depleted from the get-go.

zroid

Banned
Kid Icarus is such a fun game. I'd recommend picking up the 3D Classics version, it's totally worth playing.

StayDead

My retail copy I imported arrived yesterday and I spent a good 4 hours on the first set of games and I'm in love with it already. Damn though, I'm so bad at Golf compared to Open Tournament which I've played for hours upon hours on 3DS haha.

Top Bottom