• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix 2 |OT| The lost levels.

This game is fucking AWESOME. Surprisingly, I may be having the most fun with Super Mario Bros 2. I'm guessing it's because it's my least played Mario game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
After bouncing back and forth between the two, there's no doubt in my mind that NES Remix 1 was the better game.

I just finished getting rainbows on all of the Excitebike challenges. In order to do that, you really have to learn all of the nuance in the controls, and there's a lot more of that than what initially meets the eye. I had forgotten what wheelies were useful for and how to stabilize myself in midair, and I never previously knew that you could get a slight speed boost by holding forward on ramps, which also makes landing slightly more difficult. For a game that's super light on content and extremely straightforward, it has a fair bit of depth when it comes to doing time trials. Going through all of the challenges for that game is essentially the same as learning the game from top to bottom and being tested on all of it in a way that the original game never really asks of you. It feels like you get the whole experience from the source material even if it's presented in a handful of smaller pieces. Much of the other games are the same, even if not all of them are winners. (Ice Climber has some of the worst collision detection I've ever seen and will never not be annoying to me.)

Comparatively, a lot of the challenge sets in NES Remix 2 just feel like tutorials that I'd rather pass over in favor of the full original games instead, even for some of the games I've never played originally. I don't want to hate on it too much or anything. It's still fun and I can see myself 100%ing it in the near future. I just wouldn't mind if Nintendo stopped this series here instead of moving onto SNES Remix if this is what it's going to be like moving forward. Someone else brought up the idea of Nintendo releasing a full game in the vein of Super Mario Crossover, and that would be a lot more compelling than what was offered here.

Amusingly, I think I liked Wario's Woods more than most of the other games, simply because it actually had a learning curve.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So turned it on today only to see a complete lack of the 2x bonus. Turns out it was Metroid but I hadn't unlocked it yet. God I hate the jumping in that game.

I'm not that far into the game, but is it just a coincidence that Metroid is the first title that, when unlocked, plays the entire intro sound rather than just a snippet?

Think about it.

Exile20

Miiverse integration for this is nice, especially with the addition of replay data. Two gripes though: I can't tell which posts are from my friends list, and it still would be nice to have leaderboards per challenge.
Replay data? What do you mean?

Robin64

Wonder if the Japanese retail version has the better Rainbow bonus and video replays for the older games of Remix 1. I am guessing so. Just assuming it's one huge list now in there, rather than split into two like we've got.

Which makes me really want a full NES Remix retail version. :\

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's annoying, but it's still pretty easy to do.

Edit: I now have 99999 bits with one stamp missing, so I guess I answered my earlier question.

Edit2: And I've got all stamps. I guess I can now go back to the first NES Remix..

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything to unlock if you complete all challenges / get every star? I 3-starred almost everything except for handful of Wario's Wood / Dr Mario levels. If there's no unlockable, I think I'll skip them... I really hate these games.

The rest of NES Remix 2 was incredibly fun, however!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there anything to unlock if you complete all challenges / get every star? I 3-starred almost everything except for handful of Wario's Wood / Dr Mario levels. If there's no unlockable, I think I'll skip them... I really hate these games.

Yes, there is.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just by completing everything, or do I have to 3-star (or even rainbow-star) everything? I really hate Wario's Wood and Dr Mario with a passion!

You get something if you 3-star everything you have now, then again if you 3-star everything and then there's also something if you get rainbow stars for everything.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There is.

Yup, by now I got it. I got lucky at my last attempt, usually I struggle in 8-3, but this time I got through on my first try.

What's that?

The final level in the "Bonus" section and if you beat that two additional stamps.

Just spoil it for me. What do you get?

For the first step, you get a NES Tournament Golf, then you get an additional "Bonus" level and finally what I wrote above.

Downloaded this Friday but just started playing it now. Love it, just like the first on. Warios Woods had me thinking "what the fuck is going on" for a while and judging by the Miiverse posts, I'm not alone.

Kinsei

Banned
I finished Super Luigi Bros and got my 99th stamp. Now I just need to place on the leaderboard for championship mode and I'll have 100%.

The Remix series is awesome. I hope Nintendo doesn't limit it to just the NES.

zroid

Banned

they have me by the balls with it

I will buy all of them and I will pay any price, and I will probably double dip if there is a retail release. :x

mclem

About how much time are people taking into Dr Mario? On my best goes I've got about four minutes on the clock, which is quite good but I'm still topping out at around 8k points. That said, on my best goes, I've had annoyingly long periods (15s or so?) where a necessary colour has refused to appear.

Nose Master

Steamrolling through so far (just unlocked Remix I level... 19?), but I'm still having fun. That said, Wario's Woods is god damn awful.

Also, the Punch-Out challenges are weak as hell. I was expecting something like "hit Ty-- Mr. Dream once." It never even gets past Piston Honda, ffs. Rainbow'd every one my first try.

AniHawk

I finished Super Luigi Bros and got my 99th stamp. Now I just need to place on the leaderboard for championship mode and I'll have 100%.

get 64 remix and majora's mask remix levels are all neon and the background noise is the screaming of the damned.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So did the Japanese release of NES Famicom Remix 1 receive the improvements added to Remix 2?

Robin64

So did the Japanese release of NES Famicom Remix 1 receive the improvements added to Remix 2?

I've been scouring their Miiverse community to try and find out how the retail release works.

So far I haven't seen a single screenshots with all the games in one big list, there's no evidence of stamp posts mixed from both games, etc.

From what I can tell, purely via Miiverse, they are probably two seperate games on the same disc. And I would wager that if that's the case, Famicom Remix 1 didn't get the improvements retroactively.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I never actually played BF, I just saw screens. :(

It expands a little bit on Joust. The main game is basically the same, but it also adds an "Balloon Trip" mode in which you have to survive as long as possible in a scrolling level while avoiding sparks. I'd say it's a bit better than Joust, I find it easier to control.

I feel like this one is giving a better carrot/stick balance. The unlockable games felt like they took forever to reach, but here it feels like a much steadier stream.

Am loving some of the Remixes, too. My favourite so far is No. 13.

Storm360

I've been scouring their Miiverse community to try and find out how the retail release works.

So far I haven't seen a single screenshots with all the games in one big list, there's no evidence of stamp posts mixed from both games, etc.

From what I can tell, purely via Miiverse, they are probably two seperate games on the same disc. And I would wager that if that's the case, Famicom Remix 1 didn't get the improvements retroactively.

There is a menu that allows you to select Famicom Remix 1 or 2, I haven't played it (or have a japanese Wii U), but based on that, I think it's safe to assume that the actual games are just untouched eshop versions

Jucksalbe

Banned
I feel like this one is giving a better carrot/stick balance. The unlockable games felt like they took forever to reach, but here it feels like a much steadier stream.

Not sure if there's actually much difference in how many stars are needed to unlock stuff, but NES Remix 2 is so much easier that you get stars much faster. But this also means you're done with everything much sooner. I was done with it in about 11 hours, whereas I'm currently at about 21 hours in the first game and still haven't gotten all rainbow stars.

antibolo

Banned
So much hate for Wario's Woods on Miiverse.

Which breaks my heart, I loved Wario's Woods. Well, the SNES version at least, which is much better (the NES version does not appear to have a kick??)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which breaks my heart, I loved Wario's Woods. Well, the SNES version at least, which is much better (the NES version does not appear to have a kick??)

It does, down+A, I think. But the controls were what bothered me the most about this game, so maybe the SNES version is better.

terrisus

Wait a god damn minute, is Balloon Fight just Joust?

Uhh...yeah. It's clearly "inspired" by Joust.

I never actually played BF, I just saw screens. :(

It expands a little bit on Joust. The main game is basically the same, but it also adds an "Balloon Trip" mode in which you have to survive as long as possible in a scrolling level while avoiding sparks. I'd say it's a bit better than Joust, I find it easier to control.

It's also significantly inferior to Balloon Kid for Gameboy.

I've always been disappointed that we didn't get Balloon Fight GB (a colorized version of Balloon Kid for GBC) in the US (I know GBC is region-free, but still)

Kinsei

Banned
It would have been nice if the game told you the timer keeps going while the game is paused in championship mode. I entered Dr. Mario with 95 thousand points and I was positive I would be able to crack the top 10 (assuming I didn't get unlucky with pill drops), when I had to use the washroom. When I came back I saw the time ticking down.

Shauni

It took me awhile to really "get" Wario's Woods. I mean, it doesn't seem that complicated, but even after watching the demo a while, it just didn't click for me after a few times.

zroid

Banned
It would have been nice if the game told you the timer keeps going while the game is paused in championship mode. I entered Dr. Mario with 95 thousand points and I was positive I would be able to crack the top 10 (assuming I didn't get unlucky with pill drops), when I had to use the washroom. When I came back I saw the time ticking down.

yeah lol. you should be able to pause it by pressing the home button though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
yeah lol. you should be able to pause it by pressing the home button though.
IT DOESN'T. If you try to pause with the Home button, it automatically kicks you back to the menu. I still wish the game told you both things (maybe it says in the digital manual, which I haven't checked).

zroid

Banned
IT DOESN'T. If you try to pause with the Home button, it automatically kicks you back to the menu. I still wish the game told you both things (maybe it says in the digital manual, which I haven't checked).

oh wow. how cruel. :(

seems like they actively didn't want to let you pause it, for whatever reason

Top Bottom