• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix 2 |OT| The lost levels.

Finally had a decent run!

ibyHe3KVYz3odR.jpg

maxcriden

Balloon Fight is terrific you shut up you.

It really is. Speaking of which, Balloon Trip Breeze in Nintendo Land is amazing.

Also, downloaded the game a bit ago and played a bit of Kirby, SMB3, Dr. Mario, the first couple remixes, Wario's Woods, and SMB2 with my wife. Seems like it's going to be a great iteration in the series!

BTW, is there no way to save in SLB?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I'm not going to rush through this so I did all the KIrby games today. That mole challenge was a pain. I'm sure there's a way to influence it.

Getting better!
Soon you will break that 1M points wall :)

Edit : 2 screenshot almost at the same time pretty much confirm that your score disappear after a few hours.

lol yep. Probably already out of the top 10 but at least I got the stamp! Dr. Mario is holding me back I can't get the high score on it. I think it's like 10000 points. Got like 9500 my last try though. I wish you could watch the replays from Championship mode.

Robin64

The leaderboard wankery has meant that part of the game might as well not exist to me right now.

Edit: Okay, it's a daily reset. Doesn't explain why some scores outright seem missing, though.

The faster you can complete the first two stages, the more time you can spend building up your score in the final stage! Once you’re finished, you can upload your score to Miiverse – if you’re one of the top ten players of the day, you’ll earn a special Championship Mode stamp!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U-download-software/NES-Remix-2-866995.html#What_s_New_

daydream

Banned
^Yeah, that's not ideal. Why not have a permanent leaderboard on the side?!

What I'm doing :

SMB : Take the pipe to the coin room, finish level, same for the next, hitting some block for the few coins remaining.

SMB 3 : Raccoon suit -> fly -> almost done

Dr.Mario : Be fast and don't screw up! It's the most important game to get points from.

Yup, I think that's pretty much the strategy to aim for. It's all about Dr. Mario, really, which means that there's an element of randomness for sure.

This would be my no.1 advice: In Dr. Mario, if you can set up a combo, go for it and don't hesitate to put other pieces to the side (or use them on isolated bacteria), if you can eventually create a chain reaction. Getting the maximum points out of every board is more important than clearing them out as quickly as possible.

That's what I found, at least.

My early impressions:

-The demos in Kirby and Wario's Woods are WTF. Have to keep watching them just to get three stars.
-All of the games have less challenges. :( SMB1: 23 VS SMB3 which I think has 17? Either way, it should not be less for a game like SMB3.
-Wario's Woods is horrible. Fuck that chaining challenge.
-SMB: LL & SMB2 seemed to have really slippery controls for some reason. (Not just when playing as Luigi in LL, That was horrrible lol.) I kept falling off the vines in SMB2 and I never did that before...seems sorta rushed. Maybe its just me?
-The replay videos are very, very nice. Too bad you can't save others, or your fiends, but nonetheless it is quite aweaome.
-Got all stars in Doctor Mario, Punch-Out!!, and SMB:LL.
-Dat last Punch-Out!! challenge was insane. (I'm talking about the second part lol.)
-Hey, I finally it to see the ending of SMB:LL. Its fucked up.
-These games fustrate me to no end, but I love them. Will probably beat this before the end of the month. By beat, I mean get as far as I can. With Golf AGAIN and Wario's Woods, I know I will never 100%, but will joy the ride and hope for more remixes.

Kouriozan

-SMB: LL & SMB2 seemed to have really slippery controls for some reason. (Not just when playing as Luigi in LL, That was horrrible lol.) I kept falling off the vines in SMB2 and I never did that before...seems sorta rushed. Maybe its just me?
They are 100% faithful to the original NES games.
You can see the graphical bug in Kirby or sometimes lag because they are just too much stuff on screen, so if the game had slippery control then it's normal.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They are 100% faithful to the original NES games.
SMB has felt laggy to a handful of people (myself included) on NES Remix. The physics aren't changed, no (barring special remix stages like the ice level), but they don't feel as responsive as the real game.

IrishNinja

damn, i really do want both of these - they sound right up my alley, but i'm mad broke at the moment. any outside chance we see a physical version of them like japan did at some point?

Kouriozan

SMB has felt laggy to a handful of people (myself included) on NES Remix. The physics aren't changed, no (barring special remix stages like the ice level), but they don't feel as responsive as the real game.
Maybe you're right, I'll check that tomorrow, I did find Toad to be a little slippery.

Agreed. It feels a touch "off", as did the first game. I really wish I could use Y and B instead of X and A. :/

Penguin

Things I dig about the sequel

-More controller support. I dig being able to use the Wiimote, makes it a lot more comfortable in my head.
-The fact that Rainbow Stars give you additional bits. Cool enough reason to go for them.
-A better selection of games. I know these games and most of them control fine
-Replays. Novel little feature. Shame that you can't share them on your own, but great shares them anyhow.
-Championship Mode. I hope they decide to randomly change em up from time to time.

Negatives
-Less challenges for some games
-Some challenges are just watching the tutorial? Haha

daydream

Banned
I've really come around on Wario's Woods. I had messed around with it in the past, didn't really like it, but now that I had to focus on being good at it, it really started to grow on me. The gameplay is not as "self-controlled" as other puzzlers with a similar format, but (referring to the final challenge) clearing out the entire board with a chain of explosions is pretty satisfying.

I honestly think the game would have benefitted a lot from a Puzzle mode, though. But then again, I really like Puzzle modes.

Kinsei

Banned
I just got done with my first play session.I got all of the rainbow stars in Mario 3, Kirby's Adventure, and Remix 1. It was nice playing Kirby's Adventure again, I haven't played it since Nightmare in Dreamland came out. Wario's Woods is interesting, it's not one of the greats, but it seems like it could be fun.

I have no clue of what I want to play next. There are so many good games in this.

maxcriden

Did anyone have a chance to answer my question about saving in Super Luigi Bros.? Sorry if someone did and I just missed it! Thanks!

zroid

Banned
Did anyone have a chance to answer my question about saving in Super Luigi Bros.? Sorry if someone did and I just missed it! Thanks!

Haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming you can't save. You couldn't in SMB either so it's authentic I guess...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, got a x2 on Kirby's Adventure, & after 150 stars, I've already unlocked 55 stamps. The fact rainbow rank now gives you more bits is a nice addition.

Also woooowww, some of the "challenges" are basically watching demos or cutscenes? Huh.

Sojiro

I don't recall Wario's Woods, is it worse than Clu Clu land? I fucking hated Clu Clu land the most from the first game. Whenever I get home I will definitely get this game, 100% the first one in preparation for this guy.

I don't recall Wario's Woods, is it worse than Clu Clu land? I fucking hated Clu Clu land the most from the first game. Whenever I get home I will definitely get this game, 100% the first one in preparation for this guy.

Its much different. Its a puzzle game where you are running around picking up stacks of enemies, which can be destroyed with a same colored bomb. I remember liking it, but haven't played it in years.

zroid

Banned
I DESPISED Clu Clu Land when I played the first challenge, but by the end of it, I actually really liked it, lol. The controls are weird, but once you get used to them, it's pretty fun.

maxcriden

I DESPISED Clu Clu Land when I played the first challenge, but by the end of it, I actually really liked it, lol. The controls are weird, but once you get used to them, it's pretty fun.

Same here. Daydreaming and I were talking about it the other day and I was telling him I think it's similar to DK Jungle Climber in a lot of ways.

No, it's not worse than Clu Clu Land. Clu Clu Land is annoying, yeah, but you can sorta bend the game to your will after enough time fighting it.

Wario's Woods is just a handful of wet shart.

zroid

Banned
About an hour into the game and I can't help but feel super disappointed. It's like one giant tutorial.

That is basically what it is. You should've asked someone to describe it, because that's pretty much what I would've said! It's a game which breaks down the mechanics of NES games and challenges you to master them. Then it throws out Remixed stages so you can apply those skills.

Top Bottom